Ebola epidemic spreads from Guinea

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:58 am

A New York City doctor who contracted Ebola while treating patients in West Africa is now in stable condition, and health officials in Oregon say a woman who presented Ebola-like symptoms Friday is not likely to have the virus.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html

No new reports of US Ebola cases.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:20 pm

An editorial writer for the Seattle Times, Robert J. Vickers, has published an October 31, 2014 Opinion Northwest blog editorial, Ebola aid workers can’t be trusted.

But if Hickox and Spencer are any indication, there are plenty of callous, self-absorbed bullies in the profession. That’s reason enough to revoke their previously enjoyed societal status and impose a mandatory – not voluntary – quarantine on anyone exposed to Ebola.

That’s an inconvenience that Hickox says treats her as a criminal. Not so. Science is on her side, but public opinion isn’t.

She’s been asked to conduct herself as a traditional caregiver, and put societal peace-of-mind ahead of her personal convenience. Such self-sacrifice had been part of the social contract, but based on her insolent stance, that doesn’t look likely.

So long as Hickox and returning aid workers like her are allowed to impose their potential exposure on the general public, fear can’t be nursed.

Comments are generally negative. Many criticize the decision of the newspaper to publish the piece.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Our country has been captured by terrified babies who think public opinion trumps science, about everything.

Thanks, Al Qaeda.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:20 pm

You might think that the complete lack of Ebola cases among the general public in the USA where health workers have been returning from west Africa for months would reassure people.

The two Dallas nurses treated Duncan at the most contagious phase of his illness. No one else has contracted Ebola in the USA including people exposed to Duncan for days and the health workers who have treated every other Ebola patient.

Every Ebola patient, except for Duncan, who has been treated in the USA has recovered or is recovering.

Given the choice, I would rather sit next to an early stage Ebola patient than sit next to someone who has the flu.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:30 pm

You know, people rag on EWTN, the Catholic Cable channel as being right wing, but I'm watching their "the world over" news program right now with my New TV service and it's, frankly, bloody excellent. Its mentioning the fact that more people die of flu in America than Ebola, of all the people who have been treating Ebola in Africa and come back a total of ONE has gotten sick, nobody has caught Ebola from him, and all 3 of the people they had on the show were not in favour of quarantines. It was pointed out that there are people who are not medical personnel coming back from Africa, even from the hotzones, and there was NO talk about putting them in Quarantine. It was the best news segment I have seen on Ebola. Everything was fair and it was a calm discussion.

The overall criticism they did make is that its not a good idea to give mixed messages. Its not a good idea to have one bunch say one thing and another say another thing. So you cant have the military saying that there was no need for Quarantines and on the other hand Governors saying that they should have Quarantines.

Well bloody done. Credit where credit is due

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:38 pm

Jesuits, no doubt.

I read an article somewhere, many years ago, about the arm of the Vatican that deals with science and ethics. They studied for many years and decided that there was nothing inherently wrong with stem cell research, and even on abortion this faction was less than vehement about it. It was recommended in some cases.

Catholics. According to some, they are not Christians.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Heh. Thanks, I think :D

Anyway, you can watch it here. Its pretty interesting.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:44 pm

People who have been using Ebola as an excuse not to go to Ohio will be out of luck come Tuesday. ;)

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Forty-two people have been removed from the list of Ohioans being monitored for Ebola symptoms.

The state emergency operations center released a statement Sunday that says 122 people remain on the contact list. That's compared with 164 on Saturday. Three people, including the stepfather of the Dallas nurse who was diagnosed with the disease after visiting the Akron area, are quarantined at home.

State health officials say they expect the 122 people on the contact list to be cleared by Tuesday.

http://www.wchstv.com/template/inews_wi ... FaI9L_F-So

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Wasn't What's Her Name who use to be a member here from Ohio? I hope she's okay and is not under quarantine.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Well, well, the loonies and loonies continue with their grifting. Anyone surprised? Not me. Take a wild guess who claims to have a cure for Ebola.

http://www.njherald.com/story/27185141/ ... -for-ebola

I am so fucking glad they aren't in Panama anymore. But they still claim their "beyond organic" coffee and you can buy it for $50 a pound. Most likely taken from a dusty shelf of two-year old roasted coffee. Shame. Shame.

Spoiler Alert: From the makers of lollipops for Fukashima victims, Dr. Rima "I am Adam Lanzas doctor" and the whole false flag no children died at Sandyhook fame, and the Man Who Stares at Goats (but probably died years ago and doesn't know it) Stubblebine, along with their not currently licensed to practice law lawyer Ralph Fettucini (or something similar) have a CURE FOR EBOLA!

Good gawd, what despicable people.

The article is worth the read.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Another purveyor of nano silver. :roll:

The FDA should have the power to shut these fakers down.

On her website DrRimaTruthReports.com, Laibow cites statements by Sierra Leone's information minister, Alpha Kanu, government official, who is said to have attested to patients surviving Ebola after having been given the Nano Silver product. She also cites a 2009 Defense Department study that found a solution of silver particles concentrated at 10 parts per million to be effective at inhibiting the ability of certain viruses in a petri dish to penetrate cell membranes.

She acknowledged that no such studies exist to corroborate whether the product is effective at treating human populations, let alone if the patients surviving Ebola did so as a direct result of ingesting the Nano Silver product. But she said the World Health Organization actively seeks to suppress such evidence and is only interested in protecting the financial interests of large pharmaceutical manufacturers.

On a web page titled “Smoking Gun: US Suppressing Nano Silver Benefits Since 2009,” Laibow accuses the World Health Organization, the U.S. government and their “associated minions” of conspiring to keep information about the product's effectiveness at boosting human immune systems from the public and suggests the Ebola virus itself may have been engineered by the government.

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:36 pm

I didn't see any reference to Stubblebine in the article - how does he fit in?

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Stubblebine is Laibow's husband. She has used his rank and work with the US Military psych shit to boost her lack of real medical experience and spread the fear for grifting. Stubbie was frequently seen stumbling around the town of

Volcan for several years, and was part of the Natural Solutions Foundation speaking promotions. I suspect he died shortly after they left the radiation poisoned hemisphere which included Panama, and died in the smog -clogged, but spectacular capital of Santiago,

Chile.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:15 pm

As a side note on her medical prowess...Laibow preyed on vulnerable folks here in Panama. I am not concerned about her freakish gringo devotees, but the Panamanians, who she convinced to toss their medicines for epilepsy, diabetes, and other issues so they could spend everything they had to have various gasses blown up their asses or weird infusions via IV were truly victims.

Her Natural Solutions Foundation Eco real estate project was just a few kilometers down my road. No one was sad to see the filth leave for Chile. But as a Patagonia Girl, I was sad for what they were in for. Good thing Chileans now have a very good BS Meter.

Highlands

Post by Highlands » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:33 pm

Ebola aid workers can’t be trusted.

But if Hickox and Spencer are any indication, there are plenty of callous, self-absorbed bullies in the profession.

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me. That’s an inconvenience that Hickox says treats her as a criminal. Not so. Science is on her side, but public opinion isn’t.

So, this asshat thinks we should base public health policy on public opinion, instead of science. Genius.

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks, Patagonia!

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

realist

Post by realist » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Ebola nurse, state of Maine, reach agreement with quarantine

The movements of a Maine nurse who has treated Ebola patients are still not completely restricted, but she must continue to monitor her health for possible symptoms of the virus throughout the remainder of its incubation period.

That’s according to a court order filed Monday, which extends the terms of a judge’s Friday ruling through Nov. 10. The decision means that no more hearings will occur on the matter, unless there’s an emergency.

[...]

Hickox was initially placed in quarantine in New Jersey when she returned to the United States from West Africa, where she was working with patients suffering from Ebola. She has tested negative for Ebola and isn’t symptomatic.

“The Maine court’s decision squarely recognized what the medical community has said about severe restrictions on people’s liberties not being justified at this time,” Alison Beyea, executive director of the Maine chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, told the Daily News. “It should be precedent setting if not in fact then in spirit.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... tine-suit/

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:42 pm

The RW explination for that is that every country around there has completly closed its borders. BUT THE US HASN'T!!!!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:44 pm

That map drives home how restricted the current Ebola outbreak is. I don't mean to downplay the deaths and the suffering of the people and health care workers who are fighting the epidemic in this little corner of Africa.

Americans, in my experience, often fail to recognize that Africa is the second largest continent. This map, at the bottom of the same article, drives that home:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/i ... africa.jpg

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:45 pm

The RW explanation for that is that every country around there has completely closed its borders. BUT THE US HASN'T!!!!

Well of course not. The US does not have any borders with Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea. ;) There are also no direct commercial flights between those three countries and the US.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:53 pm

I just saw that, in a post that said a teacher in a Ky parochial school resigned rather than accept a 21-day paid leave and requirement of submitting a doctor's note at the end that she was Ebola-free because was on a mission to Kenya.In terms of distance, that's like quarantining people who visited Vancouver because of a contagious disease outbreak in Honduras or Labrador. Someone speculated that she resigned when she realized that she could never educate the children at the school when there was such ignorance in the diocese that ran it.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Another purveyor of nano silver. :roll:

The FDA should have the power to shut these fakers down.

On her website DrRimaTruthReports.com, Laibow cites statements by Sierra Leone's information minister, Alpha Kanu, government official, who is said to have attested to patients surviving Ebola after having been given the Nano Silver product. She also cites a 2009 Defense Department study that found a solution of silver particles concentrated at 10 parts per million to be effective at inhibiting the ability of certain viruses in a petri dish to penetrate cell membranes.

She acknowledged that no such studies exist to corroborate whether the product is effective at treating human populations, let alone if the patients surviving Ebola did so as a direct result of ingesting the Nano Silver product. But she said the World Health Organization actively seeks to suppress such evidence and is only interested in protecting the financial interests of large pharmaceutical manufacturers.

On a web page titled “Smoking Gun: US Suppressing Nano Silver Benefits Since 2009,” Laibow accuses the World Health Organization, the U.S. government and their “associated minions” of conspiring to keep information about the product's effectiveness at boosting human immune systems from the public and suggests the Ebola virus itself may have been engineered by the government.

I wonder how that would work since she runs her actual business out of Chile, though the NGO is out of NJ. I tried with little success to research her NGO as to whether or not it is up to date and complies with IRS regulations.

I was thinking that if there were any pinch of truth to her claims, wouldn't at least one West African countries would have jumped on this? She is a charlatan extraordinaire. Her only clients are the same people who love the NLA, CLGJ's, OAS, anti-vaccers, Orly Taitz and Alex Jones. There are real people suffering in this world, and people like these assholes exploit them to support their lifestyles and grandiose egos.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:24 am

Tuesday is past so everyone in Ohio is off the Ebola hook. However they have to fear the flu-Flu already taking its toll in central Ohio

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ready.html

The powers-that-be estimate tens of thousands of flu deaths in the US this flu season. :o Sadly over 50% of Americans and nearly 60% of adult Americans don't get the flu vaccine even though many of them could get it for free either from insurance or various government programs.

Mrs. V. and I got our flu shots.

(Texas should be past the Ebola 21 day countdown soon.)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:03 am

Expect panic in Pennsylvania. ;)

Ebola monitoring: Pa. receives high proportion of travelers from West Africa

Pennsylvania health officials as of Monday afternoon were monitoring 135 people for possible Ebola symptoms, an increase of 30 from last week.

All have recently arrived in Pennsylvania after visiting one of the areas in West Africa affected by the Ebola outbreak. However, none are known to have had direct exposure to Ebola, or have shown symptoms.Pennsylvania receives between one and roughly 25 people daily who have returned from Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone, where about 13,600 people have been stricken with Ebola, and nearly 5,000 have died as of the end of October.

Last Monday, Pennsylvania and five other states began monitoring incoming travelers from the three countries for Ebola symptoms, which include fever and vomiting.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... nit_1.html

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”