Israel

vic

Re: Israel

Post by vic » Sun May 20, 2018 2:19 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:13 am
Washington Post All criticism of Israel isn't anti-Semitic by Jill Jacobs May 20, 2018

I accessed this within the Washington Post app and cannot provide a direct URL.

Despite what some pro-Israel organizations would have us believe, not all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic. Like all countries, Israel has a duty to uphold international human rights laws and to protect the rights of those living under its control. One may protest the use of live fire on unarmed protesters, the closure of the Gaza border and the subsequent humanitarian crisis, the military occupation of the Palestinian territories, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s attacks on democracy and incitement against human rights leaders without invoking anti-Semitic tropes. Such policies would be wrong in any country, whether carried out by Jews or other people.
Here's the link https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 41630b777e

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun May 20, 2018 2:41 am

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:24 am

America alone!

U.S. Vetoes U.N. Resolution on Gaza, Fails to Win Second Vote on its Own Measure

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/01/worl ... ians-.html
A bitter divide over who is to blame for scores of Palestinian deaths from Israeli fire at protests near Gaza’s border shifted Friday to the United Nations, where the United States vetoed a measure backed by Arab countries to protect Palestinians and condemn Israel.

Nikki R. Haley, the American ambassador to the United Nations, described the measure, a United Nations Security Council resolution drafted by Kuwait, as one-sided. She accused the measure’s authors of inexplicably absolving Hamas, the militant group that controls Gaza and organized the protests.

The United States, a permanent Security Council member with veto power, was the sole no vote on the measure, which was enough to defeat it. Ten members voted in favor and four abstained.

A separate American resolution proposed by Ms. Haley, which would have condemned Hamas for the Gaza violence, failed to gain any support from fellow Council members.
Current Security Council members-

Permanent-

China, France, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom, and the United States,

Non-permanent members (elected for two-year terms by the General Assembly)-

Bolivia (2018)
Côte d’Ivoire (2019)
Equatorial Guinea (2019)
Ethiopia (2018)
Kazakhstan (2018)
Kuwait (2019)
Netherlands (2018)
Peru (2019)
Poland (2019)
Sweden (2018)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:35 am

The veto power in the UN Security Council did make sense. I wonder whether.it is still smart for the US interest for thst power to persist. Hegemon is not a great place to be.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 am

Netanyahu's wife indicted on fraud charges
The wife of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was indicted Thursday on fraud charges, Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported.

Prosecutors allege that Sara Netanyahu committed systemic fraud by directing staff at the prime minister’s residence to order meals totaling 360,000 shekels, or roughly $99,000, from gourmet restaurants between 2010 and 2013.

Rules block the residence from ordering meals from off the premises when a cook is employed, according to Haaretz.

Sara Netanyahu is charged with aggravated fraudulent receiving of an item or items, fraud and breach of trust. Ezra Saidoff, former deputy director general of the prime minister’s office, faces the same charges.

Investigators alleged that Sara Netanyahu moved to hide the employment of the cook at the residence, and that she knew ordering the meals violated the rules.

Haaretz first reported last year that Sara Netanyahu would face fraud charges.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appeared to dismiss the investigation last year.

“They’re dealing with the most important things in the world,” he said at the time. “The procedure for replacing a light bulb, trays of food, the cup of tea that was served to her father, a righteous man, on his deathbed.”
http://thehill.com/policy/international ... ud-charges

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:18 pm

https://www.timesofisrael.com/iranians- ... -protests/
Videos posted to social media showed protesters at a number of Iranian cities chanting: “Leave Syria and think of us,” “Death to Palestine,” “No to Gaza, no to Lebanon.” Chants of “We don’t want the ayatollahs” and “Death to the dictator” were also reportedly heard at some rallies.

The unplanned demonstrations indicate widespread anger at the regime for spending billions of dollars on regional proxy wars and supporting terrorist groups, instead of investing it on the struggling economy at home. :
snippity:
:snippity:

The slogans heard at Monday’s rallies mark a shift in Iranian street protests, where “Death to Israel” and “Death to America” are commonly heard. The unplanned protests signaled widespread unease in the wake of US President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw America from Iran’s nuclear deal with world powers and restore sanctions on the country.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Israels version of Creationists
ISRAEL LAWMAKER BLAMES EARTHQUAKE ON JEWS WHO WANT MEN AND WOMEN TO PRAY TOGETHER
BY TOM O'CONNOR ON 7/5/18 AT 3:26 PM

An ultra-Orthodox Israeli lawmaker suggested Wednesday that reformist efforts to allow Jewish men and women to pray together at the revered Western Wall may be responsible for minor earthquakes that struck the region earlier that day.

http://www.newsweek.com/israel-lawmaker ... er-1010164

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:51 pm

SOME of the Israeli ultra-orthodox are every bit as scary as some of our ultra conservative christian sects.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Flatpointhigh

Post by Flatpointhigh » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:51 pm
SOME of the Israeli ultra-orthodox are every bit as scary as some of our ultra conservative christian sects.
and just as RW. There is a reason KaCH was banned

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Flatpointhigh

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:45 am

https://www.timesofisrael.com/knesset-r ... ifications#
The Knesset passed legislation in April that included a controversial clause allowing the prime minister and defense minister to declare war or order a major military operation likely to lead to war, without requiring a full cabinet vote.

Opposition MKs said at the time that the language of the law effectively gave free rein to the prime minister by removing all oversight.

Cancer broke me

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Israeli Law Declares the Country the ‘Nation-State of the Jewish People’

By David M. Halbfinger and Isabel Kershner
July 19, 2018

JERUSALEM — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has long demanded that the Palestinians acknowledge his country’s existence as the “nation-state of the Jewish people.” On Thursday, his ruling coalition stopped waiting around and pushed through a law that made it a fact.

In an incendiary move hailed as historic by Mr. Netanyahu’s right-wing coalition but denounced by centrists and leftists as racist, anti-democratic and potentially fatal to ideals of equality, the Parliament enacted a foundational law that enshrines the right of national self-determination in Israel as “unique to the Jewish people” — not to all of its citizens.

The legislation, a “basic law” — giving it the weight of a constitutional amendment — omits any mention of democracy or the principle of equality, in what critics called a betrayal of Israel’s 1948 Declaration of Independence, which ensured “complete equality of social and political rights” for “all its inhabitants” no matter their religion, race or sex.

The new law promotes the development of Jewish communities, possibly aiding those who would seek to advance discriminatory land-allocation policies. And it downgrades Arabic from an official language to one with a “special status.”[

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/worl ... html/quote]

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Sad.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Flatpointhigh

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:56 pm
Sad.
why? the rest of the region is "Islam first" all else... Europe is not as pluralistic as it pretends. Jew Hate is quite ok.

as an American who is Jewish, there are times when I feel the oppressive weight of Christianity here. 99.9% of the time.

Oh, we pretend to religious pluralism, but truth be told, we aren't.
I have to more or less hide my religious identity.
I am targeted for conversion and flat out hate.
I STILL get called "Christ Killer". I am part of a "Universal cabal" running the World. I sacrifice Muslim and/or Christian babies at Passover. Christians and Muslims actively push this crap.

While it is quite correct to call out Islamophobia, it is still quite ok to hate Jews.
Why should I as a Judean not have a "haven" as all others do?

and, this is all I will say.

oh, and if Jesus were a Philistine, the letters on the cross would be INRP - IESUS NAZARETH REX PALESTINE, not IESUS NAZARETH REX IUDEAN (JEWS) "Palestine" came into existence after the Romans crushed the 2nd Jewish Rebellion in 73 AD, when they renamed the region as punishment. Read Josephus for more.

Cancer broke me

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:56 pm
Sad.
why?
Well, Jared's Peace-in-the-Middle-East portfolio got that much more difficult.
From the quoted article:
The legislation, a “basic law” — giving it the weight of a constitutional amendment — omits any mention of democracy or the principle of equality, in what critics called a betrayal of Israel’s 1948 Declaration of Independence, which ensured “complete equality of social and political rights” for “all its inhabitants” no matter their religion, race or sex.
One could argue that the United States Constitution does not live up to the ideals proclaimed in its Declaration of Independence. But that's hardly a reason to emulate our behavior.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I had seen Israel as a model of freedom and tolerance for its region and for the world.

Flatpointhigh

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm
I had seen Israel as a model of freedom and tolerance for its region and for the world.
I had said I wouldn't respond further, but, I must agree - I read the full thing, and I am not welcome in Israel, as I am not Haredi/Orthodox. I am merely an American Reformed Sephardic Jew.

Cancer broke me

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:45 am

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 pm
I just got this mental image of the UN Security Council declaring that the Haudenosaunee deserve their haven and get the Great Lakes region back, or the Ainu deserve the choicest parts of Japan.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 pm
I had said I wouldn't respond further, but, I must agree - I read the full thing, and I am not welcome in Israel, as I am not Haredi/Orthodox. I am merely an American Reformed Sephardic Jew.
Something I would love to see data on some day.. I wonder what happened to the Jewish families and communities who were living in the region before the mandate and heavy immigration? I always kinda got the impression that they ended up sidelined like (but not as bad as) their arab countrymen and did not get much of a slice of the new political pie.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:49 am

the local radical right and hate speech
Complaint filed after Israeli news site column calls for killing gays
Israel National News removes opinion piece and apologizes after article likens LGBT community, far left and radical feminists to Amalek, the biblical enemy of the Jewish people

By TOI STAFF
1 August 2018, 8:06 am 8

An LGBT activist filed a police complaint against the right-wing Israel National News site website after it published a Hebrew opinion column that called for attacks on gays, the far left and radical feminists.

The column was removed from the website after the complaint was filed on Tuesday and Israel National News apologized.

“The LGBT force, and the extremist secular left, which includes radical feminism penetrating the army and positions of power, play into the hands of the Arab enemy, which sees it as an opportunity to weaken the military and Jewish nationalism,” wrote Moshe Hasdai in the column.

“Not only that, but now they are inciting the Druze community and the Bedouins and the infiltrators from Africa against the Jewish people and the Jewish state and its government. There is an internal Arab Nazi enemy here, and it is much more dangerous than Iran,” wrote Hasdai, who describes himself on the news site as a community activist, and on his own website as a therapist specializing in marriage therapy and addiction therapy.

“Since the Holocaust, many Jews say ‘Never again.’ To never allow the violence and hatred of the Holocaust to repeat itself,” he wrote. “In order to ensure this, we are obligated to strike our enemies who incite and murder us.”

“We have are required to eliminate and expel from among us those people who are willing to erase and deny our history, to us as Jews and Judaism. This is Amalek, whose verdict is known, and the time has come to carry out.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/complaint ... ling-gays/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Mass protest in Tel Aviv against new nationality law
By Mark Armstrong • last updated: 05/08/2018

Tens of thousands of members of Israel's Druze minority and held a rally in central Tel Aviv on Saturday to protest against a contentious new nationality law that seeks to enshrine the Jewish character of Israel.

The Druze serve in the military, unlike most of the country's Arab citizens, who overwhelmingly follow Sunni Islam and have close family ties with Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied territories.

Over the years, members of the Druze community have risen to prominence in the military and in politics. They are considered to be fiercely loyal to Israel.

"We gathered here all of the Israeli citizens to change the bad law for the Israeli country, for the state of Israel, for the Jewish people, and for all the minorities, Brigadier General reservist Amal Assad told the protesters. "It's a bad law and we are all equal, Jews, Arabs, Druze, everybody. We are brothers, we defend this country and we'll build it and we will continue to live here together."

http://www.euronews.com/2018/08/05/mass ... nality-law

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 am

Oh, so he's a communist. :P

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:14 am

ICYMI
The Trump administration has decided to cancel all U.S. funding of the United Nations aid program for Palestinian refugees, part of its determination to put its money where its policy is as it seeks a recalculation of U.S. foreign aid spending and prepares its own Israeli-Palestinian peace plan.

In an announcement to be made within the next several weeks, the administration plans to voice its disapproval of the way the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, or UNRWA, spends the funds and to call for a sharp reduction in the number of Palestinians recognized as refugees, dropping it from more than 5 million, including descendants, to fewer than a tenth of that number, or those still alive from when the agency was created seven decades ago, according to officials familiar with the decision.

Any such reduction would effectively eliminate, for most Palestinians, the “right of return” to land contested with Israel. More immediately, many regional foreign policy and security experts, including in Israel, say that slashing UNRWA’s budget, amid a call to “de-register” refu­gees, would worsen an already disastrous humanitarian situation, especially in Gaza, and sharply increase the level of violence.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... de51ce09c9

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
Following Following @ABC
More
Trump administration closing Palestinian delegation's office in Washington D.C., saying it "has not taken steps to advance the start of direct and meaningful negotiations with Israel," State Department says. https://abcn.ws/2CEcVnS

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Cross posting from International Criminal Court thread

U.S. to close Palestinian office in Washington, citing lack of progress on peace process with Israel
By Missy Ryan , Anne Gearan and Karen DeYoung - WaPo
The Trump administration has ordered the closure of the Palestine Liberation Organization office in Washington because the PLO “has not taken steps to advance the start of direct and meaningful negotiations with Israel,” the State Department said Monday.

The decision follows an extended period of estrangement between the Palestinian Authority government on the West Bank and the administration, which has already canceled most U.S. aid to Palestinians and recognized Jerusalem as the Israeli capital. Those moves earlier this year provoked Palestinian withdrawal from talks over a still-to-be-released U.S. plan for peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

“PLO leadership has ondemned a U.S. peace plan they have not yet seen and refused to engage with the U.S. government with respect to peace efforts and otherwise,” the statement said.

In announcing the closure, the State Department also said it was “consistent with . . . concerns” over Palestinian calls for an investigation of Israel by the International Criminal Court. Neither the United States nor Israel recognizes the ICC, and existing U.S. legislation calls for closure of the PLO office following any Palestinian move to use it against Israel.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 6725817e64

Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Noga Tarnopolsky

Verified account

@NTarnopolsky
Follow Follow @NTarnopolsky
More
Trump has summarily revoked the visas of Palestinian ambassador to US @HZomlot’s wife & kids & closed down his bank account. I’ve never heard of anything like this. https://plo.us15.list-manage.com/track/ ... b34ae3785e

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”