Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #76 by Flatpointhigh » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:16 pm

It's possible I misunderstand something, but does anti-semitism not relate to Muslims as well as Jews?

Arabs are a Semitic people. Some other predominantly-Muslim peoples (e.g., Turks, Iranians) are not Semitic. But the word "anti-semitism" has a more specific meaning: it was coined in the early 20th Century by a German Jew-hater who wanted a "scientific" term for hatred of Jews.

Not all Muslims are Semitic, but I have increasingly seen "anti-Jewish/Zionist" used instead of "anti-Semite".

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

ZekeB

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #77 by ZekeB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:24 pm

We had a local hater when I lived in Nebraska. He was somewhat moneyed, so he would sponsor a weekly 30 minute spot on the local radio and have them broadcasting various "holocaust didn't happen" segments. He claimed he wasn't anti-Jewish, merely anti-Zionist. Somehow I don't think he was being totally honest.

esseff44

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #78 by esseff44 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:24 pm

I found this discussion of the term:

http://www.zionism-israel.com/his/judeophobia.htm

He prefers to use the term 'Judeophobia.' Makes sense to me. It is more like the terms for homophobia and Islamophobia.

Flatpointhigh

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #79 by Flatpointhigh » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Yep. it's the fear of Judeans, or as the Romans called us "Jews"

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Ragged Edgar

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #80 by Ragged Edgar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:59 pm

As I understand it, Semitic is a linguistic thing.The Jews and some Arabs are Semitic in that their languages come from the Semitic Language. They share many words that sound almost alike and mean the same thing: Allah / Yaweh and Shalom / Salaam for example. The last two mean "peace" and all I know is that we could all use more of that, whatever name we call it.

esseff44

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #81 by esseff44 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:28 pm

Yep. it's the fear of Judeans, or as the Romans called us "Jews"

IIRC, the Romans who spoke Latin would have used 'Iudaeus' (singular) and 'Iudeis' (plural). The initial sound like the English 'yoo' which was kept in many languages. The French gave the initial sound a 'j' sound which carried over into the English 'joo' sound. The Romans did not have the letter 'j.'

The Greek and Latin were close: Greek= Ioudaios

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioudaios

Flatpointhigh

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #82 by Flatpointhigh » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:37 am

yes, you are correct, Hebrew has no "j" either, so, it would have been "yehudea" (Yehuda) but has been Westernized to "Judea"

Cancer broke me

Dr. Caligari

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #83 by Dr. Caligari » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Allah / Yaweh

Actually, the Hebrew cognate of "Allah" is "Eloah" or, its more commonly used extended form "Elohim."

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #84 by Addie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Interesting. Thanks everyone.

Off topic: I'm watching the conspiracy thriller series Dig, set in Jerusalem. I like it.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Ragged Edgar

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #85 by Ragged Edgar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 am

Allah / Yaweh

Actually, the Hebrew cognate of "Allah" is "Eloah" or, its more commonly used extended form "Elohim."

Thanks!

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #86 by Addie » Sun May 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Associated Press

Memorial to slain French Jewish man vandalized

PARIS (AP) — French authorities say vandals have damaged a memorial plaque honoring a young French Jewish man tortured and killed in 2006.

The incident targeting the monument to Ilan Halimi comes amid heightened religious tensions in France, after radical Islamic gunmen attacked a Paris kosher market and newspaper Charlie Hebdo in January.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said in a statement Sunday that prosecutors have opened an investigation into the damage to the monument in the Paris suburb of Bagneux.

Halimi's death stunned many in France, especially in the Jewish community, Europe's largest. Driven in part by anti-Semitism, a gang held him captive for weeks and tortured him, then left him naked and handcuffed near railroad tracks. The 23-year-old Halimi died en route to the hospital.

¡Qué vergüenza!

L00Kit

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #87 by L00Kit » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:00 pm

In ode to Jewish musicians in Nazi Germany, noted violinist finishes father's interrupted workRAANANA, Israel (AP) — In 1933, the promising young Jewish-German violinist Ernest Drucker left the stage midway through a Brahms concerto in Cologne at the behest of Nazi officials, in one of the first anti-Semitic acts of the new regime.  Now, more than 80 years later, his son, Grammy Award-winning American violinist Eugene Drucker, has completed his father's interrupted work. With tears in his eyes, Drucker performed an emotional rendition of the Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 77, over the weekend with the Raanana Symphonette Orchestra.Initially, the Nazi culture ministry granted the Kulturbund relative freedom, so long as its performers and audiences were exclusively Jewish.  As the years progressed, however, and the Nazi ideology took deeper root, greater restrictions were imposed until eventually they could only perform Jewish works, with Bach and Beethoven off-limits.  The Kulturbund was reduced significantly after the pogroms of Kristallnacht in 1938 — when Nazi-incited riots marked the start of the campaign to destroy European Jewry. Musicians went underground or fled, like Drucker's father, who went to America.In many ways, Ernest Drucker's experience was a watershed moment that made the Kulturbund necessary. As a top student at the Cologne conservatory of music, he was scheduled to play the entire Brahms concerto at his graduation ceremony in the summer of 1933.  Shortly before the event, he noticed his name had been crossed off the program. His teacher threatened to resign if Drucker's name was not reinstated, and a compromise was reached with the school's newly installed Nazi administrators whereby Drucker could perform the first movement only before being replaced by a non-Jew. Drucker played in front of rows of Nazi Stormtroopers before being whisked offstage and ultimately into the refuge of the Kulturbund.His violinist son Eugene Drucker said he didn't know if it was "my place to correct a history wrong." But backstage, after the performance, he was clearly moved.  "As a musician I feel like the circle is never completely closed," he said. "But I was standing there at one point ... and I really did start to think about my father."

On looking for a performance of this particular opus, I listened to one on YouTube by violinist Lisa Batiashvili and orchestra inside a beautiful historic theater.  On imagining myself being a Jewish musician on stage, looking out upon a sea of Nazi SS faces as this soaring, deeply-human piece is played, the bone-chilling fear and cognitive dissonance of such exquisite beauty and unspeakable horror sitting together is nearly paralyzing.Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 77 with violinist Lisa Batiashvili  

Edit: Attachmentpalooza deleted.

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #88 by Addie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:03 am

Daily Beast

Spain Tells the Sephardic Jews Expelled 500 Years Ago ‘Come Back!’

JERUSALEM — The Spanish parliament formally approved on Thursday a law aiming to correct a “tragic and historic” error by offering citizenship to Jews whose ancestors were expelled from the country in 1492. Yes, 523 years later, it seems, Madrid wants to do the right thing.

“This law says much about who we were in the past and who we are today and what we want to be in the future, an open, diverse and tolerant Spain,” Justice Minister Rafael Catalá told reporters outside the parliament building. 

The legislation, which passed with a wide majority and with support from all the largest parties, is a rare gesture out of Europe, where anti-Semitism and other ethnic tensions have been on the rise in recent years.  It was first proposed as the Sephardic Ancestry Bill in 2012, igniting self reflection and dragging up painful memories among the global community of Sephardic Jews.

Sephard is the name for Spain in Hebrew, and after the Jews were expelled from the Iberian Peninsula along with the former Muslim rulers there, they spread far and wide in North Africa, through the Ottoman Empire and beyond. Estimates of their numbers around the world number as high as 3.5 million. In Turkey, for generation after generation, they continued to speak Ladino, a variation of Spanish, and a few still do. But with the creation of Israel in 1948 and the Arab nationalist backlash in many countries where Sephardic Jews previously felt fairly secure, many moved to Israel, while others went to Europe and the Americas—and even back to Spain, where the Sephardic population is now estimated at 40,000.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #89 by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks, Spain, but I think I'll pass.

Flatpointhigh

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #90 by Flatpointhigh » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:41 am

​Lots of nonn-Sephardic Jews are expressing the same thing. But as a Sephardic Jew,  I am rather intrigued. True, we will still be second-class citizens, but it's a start towards economic growth - much like England did in 1622 when Cromwell lifted the 1299 Expulsion Edict after merchants returned from China and told him there are Jews there.

For those of us who are not priveleged enough to be Ashkenazim in Israel, we are considered not good enough to have our children walk through the same school doors as the Ashkenaz children, our music isn't "cultured" enough, but yet, the Ashkenazim love our food. So, I am a "self-loathing Jew" for saying this?

Cancer broke me

Flatpointhigh

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #91 by Flatpointhigh » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:41 am

​Lots of nonn-Sephardic Jews are expressing the same thing. But as a Sephardic Jew,  I am rather intrigued. True, we will still be second-class citizens, but it's a start towards economic growth - much like England did in 1622 when Cromwell lifted the 1299 Expulsion Edict after merchants returned from China and told him there are Jews there.

For those of us who are not priveleged enough to be Ashkenazim in Israel, we are considered not good enough to have our children walk through the same school doors as the Ashkenaz children, our music isn't "cultured" enough, but yet, the Ashkenazim love our food. So, I am a "self-loathing Jew" for saying this?

Cancer broke me

Volkonski

Re: Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #92 by Volkonski » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:48 am

White supremacist website calls for action in Montana

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-re ... 47010.html

A white supremacist website called The Daily Stormer has posted a call to "TAKE ACTION" against Jewish people in Whitefish, providing personal contact information and urging a "troll storm" against them.

The story claims the "vicious, evil race" has harmed the Whitefish business of Richard Spencer's mother. It quotes a story from the British newspaper Daily Mail that said Sherry Spencer "said she is being forced to sell a building she owns in the small town because residents are rebelling against her son."

:snippity:

Richard Spencer is president and director of the National Policy Institute, which the Southern Poverty Law Center has identified as a hate group. The institute is "dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world."

Spencer said Friday he's thinking about running for the U.S. House seat that would be vacated if U.S. Rep. Ryan Zinke of Montana is confirmed as President-elect Donald Trump's choice to head the Department of Interior.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

The Montananist
Location: Merle Haggard dumped me off somewhere in the middle of Montana
Occupation: Depends on who you talk to. I prefer either non-starter or ball of fire.

Post #93 by The Montananist » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:25 pm

I grew up in Whitefish, Montana and visit there occasionally. Spencer is not particularly well received there. He definitely does not mirror the views of that community. Of course, as in many places, he has a few who listen and even share his vitriol. I think his only connection to Whitefish is that his mother owns some property there. It would be surprising if he lived in her basement as I don't believe she shares his views. There is now fairly strong opposition to Spencer in Whitefish and most are glad he has retreated to the East Coast, East Coasters excepted. Whitefish is the most liberal community in a very conservative county. Spencer picked the wrong place.

Addie

Post #94 by Addie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:51 pm

:cantlook:

Raw Story

'We dont support Satanic Jews': Trumps neo-Nazi fans freak after he posts a 'Happy Hanukkah' tweet

President-elect Donald Trump decided to throw a bone to people who care about religious diversity in the United States by wishing Jewish people a “Happy Hanukkah” this week — and his neo-Nazi fans are not happy about it.

Shortly after Trump posted an innocuous “Happy Hanukkah” tweet on Monday, his feed was clogged with angry white nationalists who were upset that Trump was signaling support for “Satanic Jews.”

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Happy #Hanukkah pic.twitter.com/UvZwtykV1E

Frank Salazar
@Frankie92th

@realDonaldTrump You better be fucking kidding me! I voted for you and you saidyou were a "good christians" and we dont support satanic jews

5:44 PM - 24 Dec 2016
52 Retweets 39 likes

Other white nationalists predictably brought up conspiracy theories about Jews supporting a “genocide” against white people, and begged Trump to reconsider reaching out to them.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RVInit

Post #95 by RVInit » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:38 pm

This could really be shared (IMO) in a number of threads, an interesting view into why Trump's anti-Semitic and pro-Israel (actually, pro-Zionist, more like, IMO) views aren't really at odds. The comments are interesting

http://mondoweiss.net/2016/12/losing-debate-israel/

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Fortinbras

Post #96 by Fortinbras » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:16 am

I don't believe that Trump is antisemitic. His entire business career has been facilitated with Jewish helpers.

But I think he is tone deaf to the antisemitic mating calls of some of his political backers.

Suranis

Post #97 by Suranis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:02 am

I think he hates everyone that isn't Donald Trump. Shoving him in a label box is missing the point.

Some are born cretins, some achieve cretiniss, and some have cretiniss forced upon them.

RVInit

Post #98 by RVInit » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:47 am

Fortinbras wrote:I don't believe that Trump is antisemitic. His entire business career has been facilitated with Jewish helpers.

But I think he is tone deaf to the antisemitic mating calls of some of his political backers.

Maybe a poor choice of words. Whether Trump himself has these views, it's hard for me to tell, some of his campaign tweets clearly originated from people with those views. I think what can safely be said is that many anti-Semites support Trump and Trump supports Netanyahu's ambitions, which will not bode well for a two-state solution or peace between Israel and the Palestinians. The article I linked has some interesting discussion about the idea of anti-Semitism and Zionist ambitions being not necessarily as at odds with each other as might appear on the surface.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Suranis

Post #99 by Suranis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:56 am

Yeah I think its undeniable that some of Trumps supporters and cabinet choices hold those views. Al Franken made a joke in "liars and the lying liars that tell them" that the alliance between Christian dominitionists and Jews is based on fermenting the final war in the middle east, which will end in the fiery death of all Jews. at which point the alliance will end.

Yeah I guess I'll have top look it up as it was funnier when he said it...

Some are born cretins, some achieve cretiniss, and some have cretiniss forced upon them.

vic

Post #100 by vic » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:34 am

Fortinbras wrote:I don't believe that Trump is antisemitic. His entire business career has been facilitated with Jewish helpers.

I don't know if he is anti-Semitic or not, but using Jews in his business career doesn't show he is not.

One of my best friends once made a very anti-Semitic remark in my presence. When I reminded them that I was Jewish, their response was that they didn't consider me Jewish.

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”