Anti-Semitism Everywhere

ducktape

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by ducktape » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Also, Schweich apparently had not made a secret that his grandfather was Jewish. Also, just before he (supposedly) shot himself, he was setting up a meeting with a member of the press. None of this computes and I think there's a big piece we don't know yet.

Dolly

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Dolly » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:25 pm

STATEMENT OF TONY MESSENGER, POST-DISPATCH EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR, ON SCHWEICH DEATH

http://www.stltoday.com/online/statemen ... ab35e.html

Editorial: The martyrdom of Tom Schweich

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/co ... 5e8e4.html

Danforth, in eulogy, decries 'whispering campaign' against Schweich

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... afd0f.html

‘Words’ killed Tom Schweich, former senator says, as friends remember ‘intense’ public servant

http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 28643.html

John Danforth decries ‘anti-Semitic whispers’ in Tom Schweich eulogyhttp://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/tom-schw ... 15702.html
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Foggy

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Foggy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 am

I think there's a big piece we don't know yet.

I'm with you on this one, Ducky. The only conceivable reason for killing yourself because you were "outed" as a Joo is if you've spent your whole life hating on the Joos, and you can't live with yourself if you're one too also.

Besides, if it was just one grandfather, then he wasn't a Jew. His faith wasn't the Jewish faith. He didn't have "right of return" I might be wrong about that last one, but you know what I mean. If he didn't like people saying he was a Jew, it's easy enough to hold a press conference and offer to take members of the press to his church and do other stuff to prove that you're not a Jew.

But even if he was Jewish or part Jewish, killing yourself because people might say you're a Jew is just insane, even in Mizzou. Being Jewish is something to be proud of, not anything worth suicide.

Why, I know some people who are able to lead healthy, productive lives and who are loyal and dependable American citizens, despite being Jewish. :lol:

It's 2015. You really don't have to kill yourself, even if people find out you're gay, or that one of your grandfathers was black. The world isn't like that any more.

We're missing something.

However, if he killed himself because he hated Jews all his life and couldn't live with himself if he thought he was part Jewish, then good riddance to bad rubbish. I won't miss him a bit.
♪ ♫ I'll stop the world and melt with you! ♫ ♪

mimi

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by mimi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:57 am

When the Washington Beacon refers to him as the “great Jewish hope", it's not exactly a 'whisper campaign', is it?

I think there must have been something else. Some other reason. And I'm not sure we'll ever know why he killed himself.

According to New York Times reporters, Schweich had sounded “agitated” when discussing rumors of his Jewish roots earlier in the week. Eric Greitens, another prospective GOP gubernatorial candidate and a former navy seal, is also Jewish, and the Washington Free Beacon described him as the “great Jewish hope.” However, Messenger thinks anti-semitism is a real issue in Missouri, and said the state, “gave us Frazier Glenn Miller, the raging racist who killed three people in a Jewish community center in Kansas City,” according to Mother Jones. He said racism and anti-semitism is an issue, “especially in some rural areas. Schweich knew it. That is why all week long his anger burned.” Messenger also added that Schweich said his grandfather was proud of his Jewish heritage and instructed Tom, “never to let any anti-semitism go unpunished, no matter how slight.”

Schweich served as chief of staff to three different ambassadors to the United Nations and worked on anti drug trafficking initiatives in Afghanistan. “I have no idea why he killed himself,” Messenger wrote in the Post Dispatch.

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2015/03/0 ... o-suicide/

Foggy

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Foggy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:15 am

... his grandfather was proud of his Jewish heritage and instructed Tom, “never to let any anti-semitism go unpunished, no matter how slight.”

Good for grandpa. That's the spirit. :boxing:

Volkonski

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Volkonski » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:46 pm

It is 70 years since the death of Anne Frank. Her life in photos-

http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?o=html_ ... ss-BBibRI9
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:15 am

A very long read in The Atlantic.

Is It Time for the Jews to Leave Europe? ...

The resurgence of anti-Semitism in Europe is not—or should not be—a surprise. One of the least surprising phenomena in the history of civilization, in fact, is the persistence of anti-Semitism in Europe, which has been the wellspring of Judeophobia for 1,000 years. The Church itself functioned as the centrifuge of anti-Semitism from the time it rebelled against its mother religion until the middle of the 20th century. As Jonathan Sacks, the former chief rabbi of Great Britain, has observed, Europe has added to the global lexicon of bigotry such terms as Inquisition, blood libel, auto‑da‑fé, ghetto, pogrom, and Holocaust. Europe has blamed the Jews for an encyclopedia of sins. The Church blamed the Jews for killing Jesus; Voltaire blamed the Jews for inventing Christianity. In the febrile minds of anti-Semites, Jews were usurers and well-poisoners and spreaders of disease. Jews were the creators of both communism and capitalism; they were clannish but also cosmopolitan; cowardly and warmongering; self-righteous moralists and defilers of culture. Ideologues and demagogues of many permutations have understood the Jews to be a singularly malevolent force standing between the world and its perfection.

Despite this history of sorrow, Jews spent long periods living unmolested in Europe. And even amid the expulsions and persecutions and pogroms, Jewish culture prospered. Rabbis and sages produced texts and wrote liturgical poems that are still used today. Emancipation and enlightenment opened the broader culture to Jews, who came to prominence in politics, philosophy, the arts, and science—Chagall and Kafka, Einstein and Freud, Lévi-Strauss and Durkheim. An entire civilization flourished in Yiddish.

Hitler destroyed most everything. But the story Europeans tell themselves—or told themselves, until the proof became too obvious to ignore—is that Judenhass, the hatred of Jews, ended when Berlin fell 70 years ago.

Events of the past 15 years suggest otherwise.

We are witnessing today the denouement of an unusual epoch in European life, the age of the post-Holocaust Jewish dispensation.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 pm

This takes off on the article above.

New York Mag

America Is Once Again Becoming the World’s Liberal Beacon

Yesterday, on the eve of the Israeli election, the reporter and essayist Jeffrey Goldberg published a long cover story in The Atlantic, asking, “Is It Time for the Jews to Leave Europe?” Goldberg's diagnosis of continental anti-Semitism was grim and disturbing: The French interior ministry, for instance, reports that more than half that country's hate crimes are directed against the tiny population of French Jews. But more than that, what Goldberg discerned was a continental disinterest in pluralism, an undergirding illiberalism that Islamic migration had begun to expose. The Atlantic appended to the story a video conversation between Goldberg and the influential critic Leon Wieseltier; both men seemed to agree that the hope for a liberal Europe had collapsed, perhaps recently, perhaps long ago. "There is no such thing as the West," Wieseltier said, "there is the American west and the European west," in which one coast of the Atlantic (ours) is truly comfortable with pluralism and the other (theirs) is not. Then Wieseltier and Goldberg both excoriated European leaders for failing to craft a social policy that might, in any meaningful way, help those who live in Islamic immigrant ghettos. "In Europe you go back to this problem of the other," Wieseltier said. "There's the native and the foreigner."

Goldberg and Wieseltier sit at the same table within the cafeteria of American liberalism — a disputatious table, admittedly, but still, they aren't exactly representative figures. Even so, the changes they describe are real, and seem to confirm a quiet turn that has taken place throughout the Obama era, as Europe has come to seem an uglier place under economic and social stress: The continent is no longer a subject of liberal pining and aspiration. We've fallen out of love with Europe.

¡Qué vergüenza!

June bug

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by June bug » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:39 pm

"There is no such thing as the West," Wieseltier said, "there is the American west and the European west," in which one coast of the Atlantic (ours) is truly comfortable with pluralism and the other (theirs) is not.

In the article above, change out Jewish and Islamic for black and Hispanic and it looks to me like more of a distinction than a difference. :(

mimi

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 am

When the Washington Beacon refers to him as the “great Jewish hope", it's not exactly a 'whisper campaign', is it?

I think there must have been something else. Some other reason. And I'm not sure we'll ever know why he killed himself.

According to New York Times reporters, Schweich had sounded “agitated” when discussing rumors of his Jewish roots earlier in the week. Eric Greitens, another prospective GOP gubernatorial candidate and a former navy seal, is also Jewish, and the Washington Free Beacon described him as the “great Jewish hope.” However, Messenger thinks anti-semitism is a real issue in Missouri, and said the state, “gave us Frazier Glenn Miller, the raging racist who killed three people in a Jewish community center in Kansas City,” according to Mother Jones. He said racism and anti-semitism is an issue, “especially in some rural areas. Schweich knew it. That is why all week long his anger burned.” Messenger also added that Schweich said his grandfather was proud of his Jewish heritage and instructed Tom, “never to let any anti-semitism go unpunished, no matter how slight.”

Schweich served as chief of staff to three different ambassadors to the United Nations and worked on anti drug trafficking initiatives in Afghanistan. “I have no idea why he killed himself,” Messenger wrote in the Post Dispatch.

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2015/03/0 ... o-suicide/

UPDATE:

Somebody moved my posts to this topic. And, that's ok, but I didn't post it in this topic because, as I said, I thought there must be another reason he took is life.

So yesterday, one of his aide's took his own life.

Aide Mysteriously Found Dead Month After Missouri GOPer's Suicide

ByCatherine ThompsonPublished

March 30, 2015, 8:47 AM EDT

Police said an aide to late gubernatorial candidate and Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich (R) was found dead Sunday of an apparent suicide.

Police found Schweich spokesman Spence Jackson dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at about 7 p.m. in his apartment, according to a media release issued Monday morning by the Jefferson City Police Department.

"Physical evidence at the scene, along with an examination of the apartment, did not indicate any signs of forced entry or struggle, but Detectives began a full investigation with the assistance of Patrol personnel to canvas the area and contact those who knew Jackson," the release read. "This investigation is still an open investigation, and no details regarding findings will be released as of yet."

The spokesman had been the first person to publicly call for the resignation of Missouri Republican Party Chairman John Hancock over allegations that he'd been telling people Schweich was Jewish, even though the late auditor was an Episcopalian. Hancock has denied that he carried out a so-called "whisper campaign" about Schweich's faith.

A bit more, but it doesn't explain motive.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/s ... m-schweich

Foggy

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Foggy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:14 am

How about an anti-Semite taking over for Jon Stewart on the Daily Show?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jaimieetkin/som ... le-already

mimi

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by mimi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 am

That post is hilarious in that they include outraged tweets from both Ari David and Roseanne Barr. Have you ever seen their tweets? omfg. Those are two of the biggest nuts on teh twitter machine. Not in a good way.

mimi

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by mimi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:21 pm

Salon on Trevor Noah:

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2015 4:11 PM UTC

Put down the Trevor Noah pitchforks: His offensive, unfunny tweets shouldn’t cost him “The Daily Show” just yet

Yes, his old jokes are insensitive and dumb -- but let's see what he does now

Mary Elizabeth Williams

It seems like only yesterday Trevor Noah was the great new darling of comedy. Oh that’s right, it was yesterday.

But just like that, the 31-year-old newly anointed host of “The Daily Show” has become… problematic. In the wake of Monday’s big announcement about the comic’s new gig, it didn’t take long for fans of the Comedy Central institution he’s just inherited to do some investigation into his past jokes. And what they found was a mixed bag, to say the least. Reaching back into Noah’s Twitter timeline into 2011 and 2012, Buzzfeed quickly found gags about how soccer player Lionel Messi “doesn’t go down easy, just like jewish chicks” and that “Behind every successful Rap Billionaire is a double as rich Jewish man.” There are fat jokes — “‘Oh yeah the weekend. People are gonna get drunk & think that I’m sexy!’ – fat chicks everywhere” and “So now that Adele is singing, does that mean it’s over?” There’s sexist twaddle — “‘I actually prefer the women’s league to the mens.’ – Nobody ever, about any sport. (except maybe, beach volleyball).” And there’s deeply unpleasant stuff like this: “Originally when men proposed they went down on one knee so if the woman said no they were in the perfect uppercut position.”

The revelations about Noah’s dubious Twitter joke history immediately raised strong criticism – and concerns over whether a man who could make such tone deaf remarks is an appropriate choice for a show that for so long has so deftly and furiously championed against the idiocies of prejudice. We would have expected this kind of material from the original “TDS” host, overgrown frat bro Craig Kilborn, but coming from a South African man with a half-Jewish mother, a man who’d no doubt been scrupulously vetted before being offered one of the most sought after seats in television, well, this was a bummer.

In contrast, current host Jon Stewart’s always had a more deeply nuanced view of politics. But you can still find in his earlier routines jokes about how “Young Jewish girls still love to go to Israel” – where the soldiers are “just lining up to see them” and get them to “touch it.” You can find gags about how men “pretend to enjoy talking to women over dinner.” Let the record also show that Jon Stewart costarred in “Big Daddy,” which, while not politically offensive, remains nonetheless unforgivable. And just a few years ago, on “The Daily Show,” Stewart appeared in a fat suit, because fat people are hilarious, right?

there's more:

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/31/put_dow ... _just_yet/

He's gonna have to address his old tweets.

kate520

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by kate520 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:02 pm

One of my former FDL colleagues is a Lutheran minister now serving in KC. He says there is a ferocious battle being fought for the soul of the MS GOP between the moderate, OG GOP and the new Fundies, as Peterr calls them, the hard Xtian/TP right. This is part of that battle, and he now thinks the Fundies are winning, with this second terrible thing.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Mediaite

Ted Cruz Adviser Admits to Making Ad That Allegedly Drove Missouri Pol to Suicide

In his first interview since two suicides rocked the Missouri governor’s race, political consultant Jeff Roe admitted that he was the man behind an ad that allegedly drove Tom Schweich, a frontrunner in the state’s GOP primary, to kill himself.

Roe, who is currently managing Texas Sen. Ted Cruz‘s presidential campaign, said in an interview with The Kansas City Star that had he known about Schweich’s mental state, he would have never run the ad, which compared the state auditor to a “little bug” who could easily be manipulated. He paid $8,300 out of pocket to run the television spot, via Citizens for Fairness in Missouri, during an airing of The Rush Limbaugh Show.

Prior to his death, Schweich had alleged that he was the subject of an anti-Semitic whisper campaign in the GOP, despite the fact that he was not Jewish. He was, however, described as an emotionally fragile man who spoke frequently of suicide, and a recent Washington Post feature revealed that his friends and family had tried to dissuade the lawyer and Chief of Staff to three U.N. ambassadors from running. During the funeral, Schweich’s political mentor, former Sen. John Danforth (R), alluded to Roe as a “bully”. Weeks later, Schweich’s aide, Spence Jackson, killed himself as well.

Roe denied that he had a personal feud with Schweich, adding that he had discussed potentially working for his campaign prior to his announcement “There’s no way that anyone could ever go through and be a part of the political landscape and not be impacted by the tragedies that have happened the last two months,” Roe said. “It’s sad. It was never expected. It’s an awful time.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Bullshit, Little Eva.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

kate520

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by kate520 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm sorry, baby, I didn't mean to hurt you, but you made me do it.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:24 am

Reuters

New York's MTA may ban political ads after 'Killing Jews' ruling

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Stung by a court ruling ordering it to display a controversial ad from an anti-Muslim group on its buses, New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority may adopt a policy that it said would allow the ban after all.

According to a letter submitted on Friday to U.S. District Judge John Koeltl in Manhattan, the authority's board plans on April 29 to vote on whether it should exclude "all advertisements of a political nature" from MTA property.

That would include the ad from the American Freedom Defense Initiative, which portrayed a man wearing a scarf around his face, with a quotation "Killing Jews is Worship that draws us close to Allah" attributed to "Hamas MTV," and below that, "That's His Jihad. What's yours?"

The group sued the MTA for rejecting the ad. On Tuesday, Koeltl said that rejection violated the group's First Amendment rights because the MTA did not show the ad could incite terrorism or imminent violence, including against Jews.

In Friday's letter, MTA lawyer Peter Sistrom said it was "beyond dispute" that the state-run authority could convert its property into a "limited public forum" that banned political ads, mooting the lawsuit.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Dolly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:03 pm

In 2012, anti-Muslim blogger Pamela Geller’s American Freedom Defense Initiative funded ads throughout the Metro system with a quote from the Quran next to a photo of the burning Twin Towers.http://www.loonwatch.com/tag/american-f ... nitiative/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

TheEuropean

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by TheEuropean » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Where do I find the Antisemitism in your last post, Adelante?

TollandRCR

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:09 pm

(As Dolly noted, to the surprise of no one the American Freedom Defense Initiative is not Islamist. It is not even Muslim. Also known as Stop Islamization of America, it is an extreme right wing organization associated with the same Pamela Geller who was behind those signs with the Twin Towers and a passage from the Koran. It just uses different ways for promoting the same message of hate.)

To answer RTH's question, I think Americans may be figuring out what Europe may have yet to learn: hatred of any one ethnic group, religion, or other minority status cannot be constrained to that target. Hatred teaches hatred. Prejudice against one metastasizes into prejudice against another.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

esseff44

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by esseff44 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:17 pm

https://dictionary.search.yahoo.com/sea ... ozilla-001

Addie

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:27 pm

It's possible I misunderstand something, but does anti-semitism not relate to Muslims as well as Jews?

¡Qué vergüenza!

ZekeB

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by ZekeB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:11 pm

It's possible I misunderstand something, but does anti-semitism not relate to Muslims as well as Jews?

I would have to poke a little deeper, but being a Muslim is practicing a religion. Being Jewish is not that simple to explain.

Dr. Caligari

Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Dr. Caligari » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Arabs are a Semitic people. Some other predominantly-Muslim peoples (e.g., Turks, Iranians) are not Semitic. But the word "anti-semitism" has a more specific meaning: it was coined in the early 20th Century by a German Jew-hater who wanted a "scientific" term for hatred of Jews.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”