Anti-Semitism Everywhere

SueDB

Re: Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #126 by SueDB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:10 pm

And the White House continues to be mute on White Terror/Terrorists.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Addie

Post #127 by Addie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Talking Points Memo - Josh Marshall

Canaries in the Coal Mine

Recent desecrations of cemeteries in St. Louis and Philadelphia and the low-fi terror campaign of bomb threats against Jewish community centers across the country reminds us why in the post-Emancipation era, European Jews and subsequently American Jews, have gravitated heavily toward progressive political orientations. This is not always the case. In various times and regions, Jews have belonged to conservative parties like the UK tories or French Gaullist parties, for instance. But they are virtually absent from rightist politics. The reason is clear enough. Anti-semitism is almost inevitably and almost always part of rightist political movements. It is a natural feature. This is not always explicitly so. It is not always that way at first, but eventually it is always there.

That is the case with Trumpism.

There are various theoretical reasons why this might be so. The most obvious is that rightist politics usually base themselves on cultural, racial or religious purity and unity. This makes Jews outsiders by definition. These rightist movements are also generally looking for outsiders to define themselves against and to pivot against. But these theories matter less than history. Why this is so is much less important than a lengthy historical record which demonstrates that it is so.

As a Jew and a Zionist, I would like to think that this aversion to reactionary politics is rooted in the Jewish cultural tradition or religion. I do believe this to a degree. But the presence of Jewish rightist, nationalist movements in Israel points to a different conclusion: that it is not something intrinsic to Jewish culture but rather that it is part of their defining status as outsiders, Jews' status as a minority, always set apart in key if sometimes limited respects from the majority culture. When outsiders are targeted it may start with Muslims or South Asians or Hispanics. But it comes around to Jews, almost as predictably as night follows day.

¡Qué vergüenza!

SueDB

Post #128 by SueDB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:37 pm

RWNJs have NO sense of humor - cause all the best comedians are.... 8-)

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

TollandRCR

Post #129 by TollandRCR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:50 pm

I perceive people like Avigdor Lieberman and Orly Taitz as having a Jewish heritage but not as being active Jews today.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post #130 by Addie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:10 pm

HuffPo

Another Wave Of Bomb Threats Hits Jewish Community Centers, Schools

Jewish facilities around the nation were rocked by yet another wave of bomb threats Monday, forcing evacuations in at least 13 states.

At least 13 Jewish community centers and seven day schools in Alabama, North Carolina, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Virginia, Rhode Island and Delaware received threatening phone calls, The Huffington Post has confirmed. ...

Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, said that sometimes Jewish community centers and day schools are either “co-located” or near each other. “It is deeply troubling to see that these anti-Semites are expanding their scope to target a broader section of the Jewish community,” Greenblatt said. “These JCCs often house preschools and elder care programs and they often house after-school activities for teenagers.”

There have now been more than 160 bomb threats made to over 60 Jewish community centers since January. The Huffington Post is tracking the threats here.

The majority of the threats have come in waves and often feature a disguised, robotic voice. One of those calls warned of “slaughter” by explosion. So far, no explosive devices have been discovered at any of the facilities targeted. ...

“I’ve been working at SPLC since 1999. I’ve never seen a string of attacks like this that are targeting the same kind of institution in the same kind of way. This is new,” Beirich said.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Volkonski

Post #131 by Volkonski » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:43 am

Addie wrote:HuffPo

Another Wave Of Bomb Threats Hits Jewish Community Centers, Schools

Jewish facilities around the nation were rocked by yet another wave of bomb threats Monday, forcing evacuations in at least 13 states.

:snippity:

“I’ve been working at SPLC since 1999. I’ve never seen a string of attacks like this that are targeting the same kind of institution in the same kind of way. This is new,” Beirich said.

With modern phone technology just one person could be responsible for all of these threats.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Fortinbras

Post #132 by Fortinbras » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 am

Yes, it's very possible that just one person, armed with a list of Jewish schools and a six-pack, is making all these calls. And since Sean Spicer made all the WH press office staff put their cell phones in a pile on his table, I think I know where those phone calls are coming from.

RoadScholar

Post #133 by RoadScholar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:29 am

I doubt it's that simple. Whoever it is must be awfully good at foiling phone traces and call logs.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #134 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:04 am

Fortinbras wrote:Yes, it's very possible that just one person, armed with a list of Jewish schools and a six-pack, is making all these calls. And since Sean Spicer made all the WH press office staff put their cell phones in a pile on his table, I think I know where those phone calls are coming from.

:rotflmao:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post #135 by RVInit » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:41 am

The silence on this matter from The Donald is deafening. Next time we have a President that does, says, and thinks appropriate things it will feel oh, so refreshing.

I loved seeing the video comp of Obama, and I loved seeing how much the crowd appreciates him. My respect for Obama is almost limitless at this point. Not that I didn't have issues with some things he did, but, those are minor compared to the things he did right. And his natural tendency to respond appropriately to various events seems like it's from a time so long ago. These next four years are going to drag by. I do hope Democrats take Congress back in two years. Then, we only have to put up with Trump for two years as he will Shirley be impeached. As he should.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Volkonski

Post #136 by Volkonski » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post #137 by Flatpointhigh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Then there is https://twitter.com/Scaramucci who is desperately trying to backtrack, who tweeted "Ich bin eine Jude", and of course, a "Some of my best friends are" tweet.

while no fan of the intercept, this is a good article:
https://theintercept.com/2017/02/28/tru ... inst-jews/

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Lani

Post #138 by Lani » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm

@ chrisgeidner

BREAKING: PA Attorney General: Trump told us "sometimes it's the reverse," when asked about anti-Semitic threats and attacks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisgeidner ... 0864147456

Trump said sometimes it's the reverse, to make others look bad. False flags, people! :madguy:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post #139 by Lunaluz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:Then there is https://twitter.com/Scaramucci who is desperately trying to backtrack, who tweeted "Ich bin eine Jude", and of course, a "Some of my best friends are" tweet.

while no fan of the intercept, this is a good article:
https://theintercept.com/2017/02/28/tru ... inst-jews/

Scaramucci strikes again, what a douchebag..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-insider-implies-that-democrats-are-behind-anti-semitic-bomb-threats/ar-AAnE127?li=BBnb7Kz

:snippity: Anthony Scaramucci, the financier President Donald Trump once intended to appoint as an adviser, insinuated in a tweet on Tuesday that Democrats are behind the threats against Jewish community centers and day schools across the country.

To elucidate his point, Scaramucci linked to a Breitbart News article about “bird-dogging,” a tactic Democrats allegedly used to provoke violence from Trump supporters at Trump’s campaign rallies:

It's not yet clear who the #JCC offenders are. Don't forget @TheDemocrats effort to incite violence at Trump rallies https://t.co/uTBFGhI0Kh?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618
— Anthony Scaramucci (@Scaramucci) February 28, 2017 :snippity:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #140 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Scaramucci strikes again, what a douchebag..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-insider-implies-that-democrats-are-behind-anti-semitic-bomb-threats/ar-AAnE127?li=BBnb7Kz

:snippity: Anthony Scaramucci, the financier President Donald Trump once intended to appoint as an adviser, insinuated in a tweet on Tuesday that Democrats are behind the threats against Jewish community centers and day schools across the country.
Sleeping Giants came down on him in its Twitter feed.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Addie

Post #141 by Addie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm

JTA

Gunshot fired through classroom window of Indiana synagogue

(JTA) — A gunshot was fired through a Hebrew school classroom window at an Indiana synagogue.

The bullet hole was discovered late Monday at Adath B’Nai Israel Temple in Evansville. The apparent attack was reported to police on Tuesday morning, according to reports.

Rabbi Gary Mazo told the Indianapolis Star that the shooter would have had to walk around to the back of the building and fire into the classroom from the playground. The attack is believed to have occurred on Sunday night. ...

The incident occurred a day after proposed hate crimes legislation died in the Indiana state legislature and after the Indianapolis Jewish Community Center received a bomb threat, one of 28 JCCs and Jewish schools targeted that day across the country.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #142 by Addie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:07 am

ABC News

Man accused of making threats against Jewish community centers arrested in St. Louis

A man accused of making at least eight threats against Jewish Community Centers was arrested by the FBI in St. Louis, Missouri, this morning.

The suspect, 31-year-old Juan Thompson, is accused of what federal prosecutors called a “campaign to harass and intimidate.” He’s charged in New York with cyberstalking a woman by communicating threats to JCCs in the woman’s name. Prosecutors said Thompson “appears to have made at least eight of the JCC threats as part of a sustained campaign to harass and intimidate” the woman after their romantic relationship ended.

The arrest comes after nearly 100 JCCs and schools nationwide received bomb threats this year in five separate waves. The most recent was on Feb. 27 when 21 bomb threats were called in to 13 JCCs and eight Jewish schools in Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Virginia, the JCC Association of North America said.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post #143 by Addie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:02 am

The Verge

Former Intercept writer arrested for making bomb threats against Jewish community centers

Today in St. Louis, police arrested former Intercept writer Juan Thompson in connection with a string of bomb threats made against Jewish centers in recent weeks. He has been indicted on a federal cyberstalking charge, which carries up to five years in prison, although subsequent charges are expected to follow.

Police do not believe Thompson was the main force behind the recent threats, which have targeted as many as 100 Jewish centers in recent weeks. Prosecutors believe Thompson made only eight of the threats, including one call to the national Anti-Defamation League headquarters in New York, as part of a larger harassment campaign against an ex-girlfriend. Police have been unable to trace the sources of the other calls, due to spoofing measures taken by the callers. ...

Thompson was fired from The Intercept last year after evidence emerged that he had fabricated quotations and impersonated people through fake email accounts. The news outlet corrected four stories from Thompson and retracted one in its entirety. "We apologize to the subjects of the stories; to the people who were falsely quoted; and to you, our readers," editor-in-chief Betsy Reed said in a statement at the time.

Thompson’s best-known story claimed that Charleston murderer Dylann Roof was driven to racism by an ex-girlfriend, who started dating a black man after their relationship ended. The story was retracted after Thompson’s firing, and is believed to have been a fabrication.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Flatpointhigh

Post #144 by Flatpointhigh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:50 am

Gee, an anti-semite worked for Greenwald...

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Flatpointhigh

Post #145 by Flatpointhigh » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Flatpointhigh wrote:Gee, an anti-semitevindictive nut job worked for Greenwald... have you read the complaint? :?

article link with document: http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/3/148018 ... -intercept

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/AD ... 19653.html Comments of course blame liberals/mulsims and jews...

Cancer broke me

Addie

Post #146 by Addie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Pro Publica

In an Angry and Fearful Nation, an Outbreak of Anti-Semitism ...

Indeed, “Documenting Hate” recorded more than 330 reports of anti-Semitic incidents during a three-month span from early November to early February. The accounts — our list is by no means comprehensive — come via personal submissions, police documents and news articles. The majority, though not all, have been authenticated through either news reports, interviews or other evidence, like photos.

The incidents have taken place in big cities and small towns, along the country’s liberal coasts and in deep red states. Some of the episodes — swastikas and threatening messages spray-painted at schools and colleges around the nation — have been worrisome, though relatively minor. Others have been more serious, such as the 65 bomb threats targeting Jewish organizations across the country during the period we examined (there have been nearly 70 more since then). In many cases, the culprits singled out specific individuals for abuse, defacing their homes and autos with swastikas and menacing comments. ...

On a national level, data on hate crimes and bias incidents is spotty at best. The FBI admits the information it collects is incomplete — many police departments don’t participate in the hate crimes tracking program — and the bureau has yet to release statistics on 2016 and 2017. As a result, determining with authority whether anti-Semitic events are rising or declining is difficult.

There is little question, however, that the incidents have generated genuine concern. In a rare show of unity, all 100 U.S. senators this week issued a public letter urging the Department of Justice, FBI and Department of Homeland Security to protect Jewish institutions and prosecute those responsible for terrorizing them. In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo recently announced a $25 million grant to better protect day care and community centers from threats.

The available data does support the idea of an uptick. After years of decline, anti-Semitic crimes began trending upward in 2015, according to FBI data. Experts say that increase seems to have accelerated in recent months, as Trump’s unique brand of nativist populism has helped to pull more extreme right-wing groups, some of them avowedly racist, closer to the political mainstream. On Twitter, openly anti-Semitic figures have built vast networks of supporters and cultivated large audiences, while the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website geared towards millennials, has seen its traffic grow to roughly a half a million unique visitors per month. In New York City, the police department said anti-Semitic hate crimes nearly doubled in the first two months of 2017 as compared to the same period last year.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Fortinbras

Post #147 by Fortinbras » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:21 pm

I do not think that the Trump Administration has caused the number of antisemites to increase, nor has Steve Bannon's elevation resulted in antisemitic propaganda persuading even one person to switch over to hating Jews. But I think this Administration has caused the antisemites that already were there to come out from under their flat rocks and make themselves visible in various ways, secure in the knowledge that no harm will come to them in the Trump-Bannon regime. In most instances the antisemitic 'incidents' consist of just one or at most two marginal people, often with no well-developed antipathy to Jews, and often brave on beer, to do childish and destructive things, but this time specifically targeting Jews only because they think that crimes against Jews will not attract the full attention of law enforcement under the current regime.

RoadScholar

Post #148 by RoadScholar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Nice try trivializing it, F.

I'm not buyin' it.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Flatpointhigh

Post #149 by Flatpointhigh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Fortinbras wrote:I do not think that the Trump Administration has caused the number of antisemites to increase, nor has Steve Bannon's elevation resulted in antisemitic propaganda persuading even one person to switch over to hating Jews. But I think this Administration has caused the antisemites that already were there to come out from under their flat rocks and make themselves visible in various ways, secure in the knowledge that no harm will come to them in the Trump-Bannon regime. In most instances the antisemitic 'incidents' consist of just one or at most two marginal people, often with no well-developed antipathy to Jews, and often brave on beer, to do childish and destructive things, but this time specifically targeting Jews only because they think that crimes against Jews will not attract the full attention of law enforcement under the current regime.

WTF? 'incidents'? Would you be as calm if it were a Christian cemetery that had been desecrated? or if Christian schools/organizations had been threatened? I don't think so. your use of scare quotes says so fucking much about you, Fortinbras. So fucking much.

Cancer broke me

Foggy

Post #150 by Foggy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 pm

I've read what Forty wrote three times and I don't see why people are angry. I'm almost certain Forty is a Joo. His former avatar was the Wandering Jew. His last name - which I will not disclose - is probably a Jooish name.

All he's saying is that anti-semitic people are less inhibited under Trump, just as racist people were less inhibited under Obama. I agree. And he's right that the people acting on their evil impulses are not organized, any more than the racists in the past 8 years were organized.

Forty sometimes writes things that aren't 100% clear, but his heart is in the right place. Use the Advanced Search, put in Jew as the search word and Fortinbras as the author, and see if you can find any real antisemitism there. I can't, and I implore y'all to chill out.

She was warned; nevertheless, she persisted.

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”