Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Re: Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post by Flatpointhigh »

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:18 pm
Anything official that designates American Jews as a nationality other than American or a race other than caucasian raises the possibility of further aggravating antisemitism. Such would be an official recognition and endorsement of the bigots' contention that Jews are not real Americans or are a race apart.
He already believes we are not "real" Americans.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Joshua Shanes
How Donald Trump is stoking anti-Semitism while claiming to fight it

At the root of Trump’s new executive order is a twist on centuries-old anti-Semitic tropes

Last week, President Trump signed an executive order to fight anti-Semitism on college campuses while flanked by two evangelical Christian pastors, Robert Jeffress and John Hagee. Jeffress has literally damned Jews to hell, while Hagee has warned of an international plot led by the Rothschilds to undermine American sovereignty, described Hitler as a “hunter” sent by God to kill Jews who refused to move to Israel and described the Antichrist as a “half-Jew homosexual.”

On the surface, their presence at the signing at a White House Hanukkah party makes no sense. In fact, however, their presence highlights the actual purpose of this order, which appears to be expanding the definition of anti-Semitism to include any rhetoric deemed unfair to Israel. In Trump’s conception, shared by these pastors and others, such rhetoric constitutes the essence of anti-Semitism, while their own repeated recitation of classic anti-Semitic prejudice does not.

Anti-Jewish animosity is not a Trump administration invention — it dates to antiquity, of course. The church fathers attacked Jews for rejecting Christ and later blamed them for crucifying him. The Gospel of John accused Jews of literally being Satan’s children. Medieval Christians added other myths, such as the blood libel (the ritual murder of a Christian child for his blood), host desecration, inhuman biology and more. ...

One of the most important features of this modern anti-Semitic mythology was the belief that Jews constituted a single, ontological being organized for the purpose of conquering and destroying the world. The powerful “international Jew” (the title of Henry Ford’s infamous tract) led a global conspiracy with claws or tentacles strangling and destroying the nation and the world. A century ago, the villain was Edmond Rothschild, head of the most famous Jewish banking family of the 19th century and symbol of international Jewish wealth and power for anti-Semites at the time.

Today, it is typically George Soros, often portrayed (as on a recent episode of Glenn Beck’s television program) with images out of the 19th century of Soros as a puppet master secretly controlling all levers of government, economy and even foreign migration. This myth has animated killers throughout the past 200 years, from the Russian czar inciting pogroms to the Tree of Life synagogue massacre in Pittsburgh in 2018.

Addie

Post by Addie »

A long, very detailed article about that awful day in Jersey City.
New York Times: How 2 Drifters Brought Anti-Semitic Terror to Jersey City

Addie

Post by Addie »

Foreign Policy - Judith Butler
Trump Elevates an Anti-Semitic Slur Into Law

False claims of national origin play into the goals of the Christian and Israeli right.

When U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar made the controversial claim, “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK to push for allegiance to a foreign country,” she was criticized by many for invoking an old anti-Semitic trope of dual loyalty to the United States and Israel.

The then-mayor of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel, replied in the Atlantic, “Representative Omar is repeating some of the ugliest stereotypes about Jews—tropes that have been unleashed by anti-Semites throughout history. She is casting Jewish Americans as the other, suggesting a dual loyalty that calls our devotion to America into question.” Omar’s own explanation was that she had not intended to characterize Jews as a group but was objecting to the pressure put upon elected representatives like her to display loyalty to another country, Israel. That wasn’t good enough for Emanuel, who claimed, “In embracing [this trope], Omar is associating herself with calamities from the Spanish Inquisition to the Russian pogroms to the Holocaust. That’s not historical company that any American should want to keep.”

But one of Omar’s loudest critics keeps that same company. In April, in a speech delivered in Las Vegas to the Republican Jewish Coalition, Trump referred to Israel’s leader, Benjamin Netanyahu, as “your prime minister.” He addressed American Jews as if they were Israelis, closing the historical and conceptual gap between them. Trump warned that a Democratic victory in 2020 “would cripple our country and very well could leave Israel out there all by yourselves.”

Trump’s “you” made a presumption about Jewish loyalty. Although rebuked by the Anti-Defamation League and the American Jewish Committee, Trump continues to harp on the same themes. He revived another anti-Semitic trope of Jewish obsession with profit by telling an assembled Jewish audience that Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s wealth tax would not gain their support, and that Jews should “be my biggest supporters because you’ll be out of business in about 15 minutes.”

The Executive Order on Combating Anti-Semitism, issued by Trump on Dec. 11, follows in part from this sequence of remarks. It both seeks to put the slur of dual loyalty into law and attempts to appeal to Jews and to combat anti-Semitism on campuses by denying the vast history of Jewish cultures, practices, and forms of belonging that precede the emergence of the State of Israel and continue to proliferate outside of that framework for understanding Jewish life.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CBS News
BREAKING: Several People Stabbed By Machete-Wielding Suspect During Monsey Chanukah Event

MONSEY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Multiple people have reportedly been stabbed in an attack on a Rabbi’s home in New York‘s Rockland County.

CBS2’s Tony Aiello has confirmed a man entered Rabbi Rottenburg’s Shul in Monsey and stabbed several people just before 10 p.m. Saturday night.

The man reportedly pulled out a machete to attack the victims during a Chanukah celebration. The suspect reportedly chased after victims as they fled the home before running off and escaping in a nearby vehicle.

First responders are on the scene and are treating the victims.

Tony Aiello reports at least four people been taken to area hospitals with injuries. Two have been rushed to Westchester Medical’s trauma center due to the severity of injuries.

Both the Clarkstown Police Department and the Orthodox Jewish Public Affairs Council are reporting a total of five stabbing victims on the scene.
Adding:
New York Times: Monsey Stabbing: Several Wounded at Rabbi’s Home in N.Y. Suburb ...

The attack came after a surge in anti-Semitic violence in the New York region. On Friday, the police in New York City stepped up patrols in three Brooklyn neighborhoods after what officials called an “alarming” increase in incidents.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Horrifying and heartbreaking.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

NMgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:23 am
Yes, it is. I've seen reports that the perp was a tall black man. IF this is true, I wonder if he might be associated with the group who shot up the Jewish supermarket. /speculation
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Addie

Post by Addie »

I read somewhere last night that the weapon was a knife long 'like a broomstick' - has there been anything on TV about that?
TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:58 am
NMgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:23 am
Yes, it is. I've seen reports that the perp was a tall black man. IF this is true, I wonder if he might be associated with the group who shot up the Jewish supermarket. /speculation

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I'm heading machete on CNN.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Thanks, Kendra. Machete was what I first read in all of the reports. Then I saw this other thing. I wish I'd noted the source, but I was heading for bed. A curious weapon if there's any truth to it.
Kendra wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:23 am

Addie

Post by Addie »

Here it is:
CNN: "The attacker pulled out a knife that was "almost like a broomstick," said Aron Kohn, who attended the Hanukkah celebration."

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Addie wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:28 am
Thanks, Kendra. Machete was what I first read in all of the reports. Then I saw this other thing. I wish I'd noted the source, but I was heading for bed. A curious weapon if there's any truth to it.
Kendra wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:23 am
It's still early and not all the facts are in yet. Horrible news. Fox is working hard to stir up the base.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

5 stabbed at rabbi's house on Hanukkah; suspect in custody

https://www.chron.com/news/crime/articl ... gn=twitter
A suspect is in custody at the Ramapo Police headquarters and will face five counts of attempted murder and one count of burglary, according to Police Chief Brad Weidel. Police identified him as Grafton E. Thomas, 37, of Greenwood Lake, New York.

The Saturday night stabbings north of New York City on the seventh night of Hanukkah come on the heels of a string of attacks targeting Jews in the region, including a massacre at a kosher grocery store in New Jersey earlier this month. The rabbi's home is in Monsey, a town not far from the New Jersey state line and one of several in the Hudson Valley that has seen an influx of Hasidic Jews in recent years. The Rockland County town is about 35 miles (56 kilometers) north of New York City.

:snippity:

Police said the stabbings happened at around 10 p.m. A witness saw the suspect fleeing in car and alerted police to license plate number, Weidel, the police chief in Ramapo, which covers Monsey, said. That allowed police to find his vehicle as he entered New York City, where police apprehended.

And this past week in New York City itself, police have received at least six reports — eight since Dec. 13 — of attacks possibly motivated by anti-Jewish bias. Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday that police presence would increase in Brooklyn neighborhoods home to large Jewish populations.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Grafton Thomas: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/thomas-grafton/

Some media outlets reported the suspect’s name as Thomas Grafton or Thomas E. Grafton, but public records reveal it to be Grafton E. Thomas.

News cameras captured the yet-to-be-named suspect being walked out of the NYPD’s 32nd Precinct in the Bronx after his arrest. He was taken back to Rockland County. Monsey is a hamlet of Ramapo, New York, and authorities there are leading the investigation.

Grafton Thomas has a criminal history. According to Daily Beast, it includes once punching a police horse and that’s just one of several past arrests on his record. Daily Beast gave his name as Grafton Thomas. However, The New York Daily News says Grafton has only one sealed prior arrest.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Does anyone know the significance of what appears to be "911" in the graffiti??
Hen Mazzig
@HenMazzig
·
2h
British Jews woke up to Antisemitic graffiti on walls all over Hampstead & Belsize Park.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Ninja'd
New York Times: Monsey Hanukkah Stabbing: 5 Wounded at Rabbi’s Home in N.Y. Suburb

The governor called the violence an “act of domestic terrorism” after a suspect was arrested in Harlem. ...

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, visiting the rabbi’s home on Sunday morning, called the attack an “act of domestic terrorism.”

The New York Police Department said a suspect had been arrested in Harlem and was turned over to the authorities in Rockland County, which is northwest of New York City and where the attack took place.

The suspect, Thomas Grafton, 37, who is from Greenwood Lake, N.Y., near Monsey, will face five counts of attempted murder and one count of first degree burglary, according to the police. Two of the victims remained in the hospital as of Sunday morning, the police said.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NYPD stepping up presence in Brooklyn after a series of possible anti-Semitic hate crimes this week

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/26/us/anti- ... index.html
The first incident happened Monday morning, when a 65-year-old man told police he was punched and kicked by another man who yelled "F*** you, Jew," according to the New York Police Department. The incident occurred about two blocks from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.

When officers arrived, they were told by a 67-year-old man that a group of teenagers allegedly approached his 6-year-old son and another 7-year-old boy from behind, striking them inside the lobby of a residential building.

Ayana Logan, 42, is accused of using her bag to hit the woman in the face, NYPD spokesman Lt. Thomas Antonetti told CNN. Logan has been charged with assault as a hate crime, acting in a manner injurious to a child under the age of 17, criminal possession of a weapon, and harassment.

Police are looking into a seventh possible anti-Semitic incident that took place just hours later. A black man walked into the Chabad Lubavitch World Headquarters in Brooklyn shortly before 7 a.m., police told CNN, and allegedly threatened to shoot and kill people inside the center.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:21 am
I would assume the belief that 'jews' (or one of their stand-ins like NWO) were behind 9-11?

Lani

Post by Lani »

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:21 am
Article from 2016: Anti-Semitic 9/11 Conspiracy Theorists Thrive 15 Years After Attacks
Anti-Semites Christopher Bollyn, Ken O’Keefe, and Kevin Barrett are three such conspiracy theorists who spread the theory that 9/11 was a “false flag” operation by Israel and the Jews to control world events and create wars for their benefit.
Fifteen years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, DC, anti-Semites continue to spread conspiracy theories blaming Jews and Israel for the events of that day.
Christopher Bollyn was one of the earliest promoters of anti-Semitic 9/11 conspiracy theories blaming Jews and Israel for the attacks. :snippity:
On his website, Bollyn asserts, “The terror attacks of 9/11 were an Israeli false-flag operation that was designed to be blamed on Arab Muslims for the sake of kick-starting the long-planned Zionist stratagem known as the 'War on Terror,' which is really an Israeli war agenda to be fought by the U.S.” Bollyn is not the only anti-Semitic 9/11 “truther” who is speaking to audiences in this country.

Ex-Marine Ken O’Keefe is another virulent anti-Semite .... :snippity:
In the video, O’Keefe blames Israel and “traitors” in the U.S. government for carrying out the 9/11 attacks. He argues that Jewish neo-conservatives planned a Pearl Harbor-type event so that they and Israel could dominate the world. He describes Jews as “psychopaths” who are trying to carry out a war of aggression that he claims will lead to World War III.

While Bollyn and O’Keefe get their message out through their tours and YouTube, Kevin Barrett, a former professor, has promoted his anti-Semitic conspiracy theories through his blog, online radio show, books and appearances on Press TV, Iran’s English language news network and propaganda machine. He is also an editor at Veterans Today, an anti-Semitic website. But Barrett has gone beyond the 9/11 attacks to blame “Zionists” and for other events that he considers false flags, such as the terrorist attacks in Paris and in San Bernardino in 2015.
https://www.adl.org/blog/anti-semitic-9 ... er-attacks
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Ok, it is the most obvious meaning of "911". I thought there might be another meaning not obvious to Americans since the graffitti was in Britain.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I thought so, too.
Volkonski wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:53 am
Ok, it is the most obvious meaning of "911". I thought there might be another meaning not obvious to Americans since the graffitti was in Britain.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Ok, now that I'm awake, I was watching bits of Fox & Friends earlier. Their big issue, that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere is the BAD new law coming January 1 that has to do with not requiring bail for some folks and that was what's behind all these tracks and it Dr Blasio's fault.:dazed:

If any New York person can weigh in on that theory, I'd be grateful. I did :roll: when they had Franklin Graham on to pontificate on the cause of this being all the have the left country is spewing...no mention was made about all the hate being tweeted by the hater in chief.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN
Suspect in Hanukkah celebration stabbings arrested in New York City with 'blood all over him,' source says ...

Rockland County -- where the stabbing took place -- has the largest Jewish population per capita of any US county, according to New York state. About 90,000 residents, almost a third of the county's population, are Jewish, Weidel said. ...

The attacks are symptoms of "an American cancer that is spreading in the body politic," the governor said. He vowed to propose a law that would make New York the first state to treat these types of incidents as domestic terrorism.

"They're trying to inflict fear. They're motivated by hate. They are doing mass attacks," Cuomo said. "These are terrorists in our country perpetrating terrorism on other Americans, and that's how we should treat it and that's how I want the laws in this state to treat it."

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I have a small earned affinity for the Brooklyn Jewish community due to when I was called upon to help a family on the Sabbath. I may have shared this story before, but it was a toddler who was born with medical problems. In their apartment, they had the child hooked up to medical equipment, as like hospital room. It was mom and grandparents present.

The oxygen level sensor went out ( the thing that is normally put on an adults finger, this was on his foot) and needed changed. The child's mom went out on the street to find a non-jew to help. She found me.

I got a fistful of Freeze Pops in gratitude from Grandpa.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Associated Press
Hate crimes charges against man accused in Hanukkah stabbing

MONSEY, N.Y. (AP) — Handwritten journals containing references to Jews and anti-Semitism were found in the home of a man charged with federal hate crimes Monday in the stabbing of five people celebrating Hanukkah in a rabbi’s house north of New York City, authorities said.

Grafton E. Thomas, 37, was expected to appear in federal court in White Plains to face five counts of obstructing the free exercise of religious beliefs by attempting to kill with a dangerous weapon and causing injuries. ...

A criminal complaint said law enforcement agents recovered the journals from his Greenwood Lake, N.Y., residence that included comments such as questioning “why ppl mourned for anti-Semitism when there is Semitic genocide” and a page with drawings of a Star of David and a Swastika.

Internet searches on a phone recovered from his car included repeated searches for “Why did Hitler hate the Jews” as well as “German Jewish Temples near me” and “Prominent companies founded by Jews in America,” the complaint said.

On Dec. 28, the phone’s internet browser was used to access an article titled: “New York City Increases Police Presence in Jewish Neighborhoods After Possible Anti-Semitic Attacks. Here’s What To Know,” the complaint said.

Thomas’ family said he was raised to embrace tolerance but has a history of mental illness.

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”