The new Doctor Who

rosy

The new Doctor Who

Post by rosy »

Back to the BBC: they were showing a montage of famous people (Prof Brian Cox, Sir Robert Winston, a couple of comedians), a selection of companions and Colin Baker (6) talking about their favourite Doctors together with clips of all the previous Doctors. A lot of tributes to Matt Smith's physical flexibility and energy.Then we had Bernard Cribbins (70 years in showbiz) talking about working with David Tennant, and now Steven Moffat. Moff's only clue s "different from Matt".And it is....... Peter Capaldi, who was Caecilius in the Pompeii episode.

Cdr Christoff

The new Doctor Who

Post by Cdr Christoff »

[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Capaldi]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Capaldi

gupwalla

The new Doctor Who

Post by gupwalla »

Still not ginger.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

SueDB

The new Doctor Who

Post by SueDB »

New Old Dr Who discovered on tape in Nigeria.[/break1]cnn.com/2013/10/11/showbiz/lost-doctor-who-episodes-recovered/index.html]Lost Dr Who Episodes from the 60'sLondon, England (CNN) -- Whovians across the world can rejoice as the BBC confirms the discovery of nine lost "Doctor Who" episodes from the 1960s in Africa.The treasure-trove of missing episodes were traced to a relay station in Jos, Nigeria via Hong Kong using overseas shipment records by Philip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archive."I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words 'Doctor Who,'" said Morris."When I read the story code I realized I'd found something pretty special."
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Volkonski

The new Doctor Who

Post by Volkonski »

Dr. Who 50th Anniversary tomorrow. Sigh, has it really been that long? :lol:

Have to get out my Tom Baker scarf to wear while watching the two 50th Anniversary specials, An Adventure in Space and Time and the The Day of the Doctor.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tomtech

The new Doctor Who

Post by Tomtech »

I have been enjoying the original series lately. If you ask nicely I can give you the link to the video archive of 155 series' plus a few hidden eggs. If you beg, I will tell you how I am getting them commercial free and without ads.

Curious Blue

The new Doctor Who

Post by Curious Blue »

I must confess that I've never actually watched Dr Who -- but I am assuming that you Who Fans will be utterly delighted by today's Google Doodle - [/break1]google.com]http://www.google.com

Norbrook

The new Doctor Who

Post by Norbrook »

I must confess that I've never actually watched Dr Who -- but I am assuming that you Who Fans will be utterly delighted by today's Google Doodle - [/break1]google.com]http://www.google.comI watched a lot of the earlier shows (the 4'th Doctor), and off and on, but since it's tougher these days to keep up, I haven't. However ... I have watched the 50'th anniversary show. Wow. :-D

TollandRCR

The new Doctor Who

Post by TollandRCR »

Seen it off and on over the years but never a regular fan. The 50th Anniversary show may make me a regular fan.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

listeme

The new Doctor Who

Post by listeme »

I was a rabid fan as a kid and just started watching the new series a few weeks ago and am loving it. I'm only to season six, however, so I did not yet see the 50th. I will see it when I catch up to it :mrgreen: Spoilers don't affect me at all. So I don't have to stay off the internet until then.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Volkonski

The new Doctor Who

Post by Volkonski »

I must confess that I've never actually watched Dr Who -- but I am assuming that you Who Fans will be utterly delighted by today's Google Doodle - [/break1]google.com]http://www.google.comI watched a lot of the earlier shows (the 4'th Doctor), and off and on, but since it's tougher these days to keep up, I haven't. However ... I have watched the 50'th anniversary show. Wow. :-DI thought the 50th anniversary show and An Adventure in Space and Time where both very well done.

It was particular fun that so many of the actors in An Adventure in Space and Time had appeared on Doctor Who during their careers. Especially nice was that actors William Russell and Carole Ann Ford, who were two of the first companions of the first Doctor and as such were characters in the story (portrayed by younger actors) both played other characters in the movie. I imagine that they had many tales to tell the cast and crew who were recreating events that they had lived.

By the way, in case you missed it, the BBC did a 6 minute mini-episode a few weeks ago in which Paul McGann returned as the eighth Doctor long enough to regenerate into John Hurt.

Sekrit Stuffs!

Paul Pieniezny

The new Doctor Who

Post by Paul Pieniezny »

I do not suspect we have many people here who watched the very first episode?That was the episode in which decimalisation was predicted. The reason why I saw the episode, even though not living in England at the time, was the assassination of JFK. My father went onto the roof specially to adjust the antenna. which was necessary to capture - I think we said "captate" at the time - the BBC signal). He thought the BBC would have more to say about the assassination than Belgian TV. Doctor Who was on immediately after the news.Later, I would repeatedly ask my father to go onto the roof again, as some of my class were also watching (and bragging about it to the pupils who lived 10 km from the seaside and were just outside the captation zone). But my father, based on the decimalisation thingie, thought it was a silly serial. No Doctor Who for me, until we got television distribution (a pre-cable network, which captated the BBc signal at De Panne, the North West tip of Belgium. It took me some time to get accustomed to the Daleks.Those were the days.

Volkonski

The new Doctor Who

Post by Volkonski »

I do not suspect we have many people here who watched the very first episode?That was the episode in which decimalisation was predicted. The reason why I saw the episode, even though not living in England at the time, was the assassination of JFK. My father went onto the roof specially to adjust the antenna. which was necessary to capture - I think we said "captate" at the time - the BBC signal). He thought the BBC would have more to say about the assassination than Belgian TV. Doctor Who was on immediately after the news.Later, I would repeatedly ask my father to go onto the roof again, as some of my class were also watching (and bragging about it to the pupils who lived 10 km from the seaside and were just outside the captation zone). But my father, based on the decimalisation thingie, thought it was a silly serial. No Doctor Who for me, until we got television distribution (a pre-cable network, which captated the BBc signal at De Panne, the North West tip of Belgium. It took me some time to get accustomed to the Daleks.Those were the days.There's only on thing to get accustomed to-Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!............... :lol:

Slarti the White

The new Doctor Who

Post by Slarti the White »

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Volkonski

The new Doctor Who

Post by Volkonski »

August 23rd-

Whatever4

The new Doctor Who

Post by Whatever4 »

Why You Should Never Drunk Text A Doctor Who Fan.[link]http://m.tickld.com/x/why-you-should-ne ... tor-who-fa[/link]
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

gupwalla

The new Doctor Who

Post by gupwalla »

Just a little bit longer....
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Tomtech

The new Doctor Who

Post by Tomtech »

I don't have cable and new episodes of The Doctor is the one thing I miss.But I have my towel :towel: and will go to the special event showing on Monday night. Big screen, 3D, Surround sound, and a longer version than the broadcast version.I also purchased the season through Amazon which I can watch on my TV with a ROKU device.I great way to start my week of adventuring.

Tomtech

The new Doctor Who

Post by Tomtech »

Why You Should Never Drunk Text A Doctor Who Fan.[link]http://m.tickld.com/x/why-you-should-ne ... tor-who-fa[/link]Please fix the link

Volkonski

The new Doctor Who

Post by Volkonski »

Just a little bit longer.... \ :D / :-bd

shrek

The new Doctor Who

Post by shrek »

4 negative votes for the new Doctor in my house. I'm prepared to hold judgment for a few more episodes, but Princess Fiona and the young ogres were distinctly unimpressed.

p0rtia

The new Doctor Who

Post by p0rtia »

I quite liked it. A big step up from Matt Smith's last year, IMO (and I adored Matt Smith). A good introduction to the new character and the new relationship, with lots of references to past New Who stores. Fun. Not brilliant storytelling. And I LOVED the new opening sequence.
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Sam the Centipede

The new Doctor Who

Post by Sam the Centipede »

And I LOVED the new opening sequence.Apparently created by a Doctor Who fan! He does that sort of thing professionally fro corporate clients and made his idea of a Doctor Who opening title sequence as a show reel to demonstrate his talents, the Doctor Who team saw it, loved it, added a couple tweaks and the rest is history, the future or the present.

p0rtia

The new Doctor Who

Post by p0rtia »

And I LOVED the new opening sequence.Apparently created by a Doctor Who fan! He does that sort of thing professionally fro corporate clients and made his idea of a Doctor Who opening title sequence as a show reel to demonstrate his talents, the Doctor Who team saw it, loved it, added a couple tweaks and the rest is history, the future or the present.Cool! I hadn't heard that. Actually I haven't heard anything about this series, as I prefer to stay spoiler free as much as possible, so I've been avoiding my usual Doctor Who haunts. And obviously I don't live in the UK, where I know it's impossible to avoid it. Did you like it (titles) too?
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Sam the Centipede

The new Doctor Who

Post by Sam the Centipede »

And I LOVED the new opening sequence.Apparently created by a Doctor Who fan! He does that sort of thing professionally fro corporate clients and made his idea of a Doctor Who opening title sequence as a show reel to demonstrate his talents, the Doctor Who team saw it, loved it, added a couple tweaks and the rest is history, the future or the present.Cool! I hadn't heard that. Actually I haven't heard anything about this series, as I prefer to stay spoiler free as much as possible, so I've been avoiding my usual Doctor Who haunts. And obviously I don't live in the UK, where I know it's impossible to avoid it. Did you like it (titles) too?I thought they were neat, yes. When Russell Davies started the reboot I thought the team got it spot on in honouring the old structures while moving it on in terms of production values and more contemporary (more filmic?) storytelling. But now seems a good point to start redirecting again, so good for them. All earlier reboot title sequences were evolutions from the older series.I suspect those of younger (ha!) years probably don't appreciate how haunting the original music was in a time before synthesisers and electronic music.I'm no "whovian" though; I watched William Hartnell as a child (me, not him), accepted Patrick Troughton, disliked Jon Pertwee, saw a little of Tom Baker but nothing more until Christopher Eccleston showed what could be done with classy actors, imaginative directors and a decent budget.

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”