Re: Winter Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea, February 2018

Post by RVInit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:39 am

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MRich

Post by MRich » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 pm

That skate was amazing! Pairs is my least favorite of the 4 figure skating disciplines, but I had tears in my eyes at the end. I'm so glad they were appropriately scored.

BTW, I heard that Christopher Dean of Torville and Dean fame choreographed that program.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm

MRich wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 pm
That skate was amazing! Pairs is my least favorite of the 4 figure skating disciplines, but I had tears in my eyes at the end. I'm so glad they were appropriately scored.

BTW, I heard that Christopher Dean of Torville and Dean fame choreographed that program.
Torville and Dean were ahead of their time. Their choreography was always five steps ahead of what anyone else was doing.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 pm

RVInit wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm
MRich wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Torville and Dean were ahead of their time. Their choreography was always five steps ahead of what anyone else was doing.
:yeah:

Still among my all time favorites.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:41 am

Ivanka, Huckabee Sanders arrive in South Korea
BY JOSH DELK - 02/23/18 11:29 AM EST

Ivanka Trump and White House press secretary Sarah Sanders arrived in South Korea on Friday for the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics

The games have become a focal point for diplomatic relations between the U.S., North Korea and South Korea.

The first daughter, a senior adviser to President Trump who is leading the U.S. delegation to the ceremony on Sunday, said her trip aims to reaffirm her father's call for a "maximum pressure campaign" to denuclearize North Korea and to "reaffirm our bonds of friendship and partnership" with the South, according to The New York Times.

"We cannot have a better, or smarter, person representing our country," President Trump said of his daughter's arrival in a tweet on Friday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... outh-korea
for the highlighted part: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doh: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doh: :rotflmao:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am

Ivanka Trump (aka Yael Kushner) - as dumb as a sack of rocks.

My apologies to rocks.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am
Ivanka Trump (aka Yael Kushner) - as dumb as a sack of rocks.

My apologies to rocks.
So when will "Yael" betray & drive the nail through "Sisera's" skull (political coffin)?
17 Howbeit Sisera fled away on his feet to the tent of Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite; for there was peace between Jabin the king of Hazor and the house of Heber the Kenite.
יח וַתֵּצֵא יָעֵל, לִקְרַאת סִיסְרָא, וַתֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו סוּרָה אֲדֹנִי סוּרָה אֵלַי, אַל-תִּירָא; וַיָּסַר אֵלֶיהָ הָאֹהֱלָה, וַתְּכַסֵּהוּ בַּשְּׂמִיכָה. 18 And Jael went out to meet Sisera, and said unto him: 'Turn in, my lord, turn in to me; fear not.' And he turned in unto her into the tent, and she covered him with a rug.
יט וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלֶיהָ הַשְׁקִינִי-נָא מְעַט-מַיִם, כִּי צָמֵאתִי; וַתִּפְתַּח אֶת-נֹאוד הֶחָלָב, וַתַּשְׁקֵהוּ--וַתְּכַסֵּהוּ. 19 And he said unto her: 'Give me, I pray thee, a little water to drink; for I am thirsty.' And she opened a bottle of milk, and gave him drink, and covered him.
כ וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלֶיהָ, עֲמֹד פֶּתַח הָאֹהֶל; וְהָיָה אִם-אִישׁ יָבֹא וּשְׁאֵלֵךְ, וְאָמַר הֲיֵשׁ-פֹּה אִישׁ--וְאָמַרְתְּ אָיִן. 20 And he said unto her: 'Stand in the door of the tent, and it shall be, when any man doth come and inquire of thee, and say: Is there any man here? that thou shalt say: No.'
כא וַתִּקַּח יָעֵל אֵשֶׁת-חֶבֶר אֶת-יְתַד הָאֹהֶל וַתָּשֶׂם אֶת-הַמַּקֶּבֶת בְּיָדָהּ, וַתָּבוֹא אֵלָיו בַּלָּאט, וַתִּתְקַע אֶת-הַיָּתֵד בְּרַקָּתוֹ, וַתִּצְנַח בָּאָרֶץ; וְהוּא-נִרְדָּם וַיָּעַף, וַיָּמֹת. 21 Then Jael Heber's wife took a tent-pin, and took a hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the pin into his temples, and it pierced through into the ground; for he was in a deep sleep; so he swooned and died.
כב וְהִנֵּה בָרָק, רֹדֵף אֶת-סִיסְרָא, וַתֵּצֵא יָעֵל לִקְרָאתוֹ, וַתֹּאמֶר לוֹ לֵךְ וְאַרְאֶךָּ אֶת-הָאִישׁ אֲשֶׁר-אַתָּה מְבַקֵּשׁ; וַיָּבֹא אֵלֶיהָ--וְהִנֵּה סִיסְרָא נֹפֵל מֵת, וְהַיָּתֵד בְּרַקָּתוֹ. 22 And, behold, as Barak pursued Sisera, Jael came out to meet him, and said unto him: 'Come, and I will show thee the man whom thou seekest.' And he came unto her; and, behold, Sisera lay dead, and the tent-pin was in his temples.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 am

Russian spies hacked the Olympics and tried to make it look like North Korea did it, U.S. officials say

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/in ... story.html
an military spies hacked several hundred computers used by authorities at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in South Korea, according to U.S. intelligence.

They did so while trying to make it appear as though the intrusion was conducted by North Korea, what is known as a "false-flag" operation, said two U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter.

Officials in Pyeongchang acknowledged that the Games were hit by a cyberattack during the Feb. 9 opening ceremony but had refused to confirm whether Russia was responsible. That evening there were disruptions to the internet, broadcast systems and the Olympics website. Many attendees were unable to print their tickets for the ceremony, resulting in empty seats.

Analysts surmise the disruption was retaliation against the International Olympic Committee for banning the Russian team from the Winter Games due to doping violations. No officials from Russia's Olympic federation were allowed to attend, and while some athletes were permitted to compete under the designation "Olympic Athletes from Russia," they were unable to display the Russian flag on their uniforms and, if they won medals, their country's anthem was not played.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:01 am

Lani wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 am
Russian spies hacked the Olympics and tried to make it look like North Korea did it, U.S. officials say

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/in ... story.html
:snippity:
Analysts surmise the disruption was retaliation against the International Olympic Committee for banning the Russian team from the Winter Games due to doping violations. No officials from Russia's Olympic federation were allowed to attend, and while some athletes were permitted to compete under the designation "Olympic Athletes from Russia," they were unable to display the Russian flag on their uniforms and, if they won medals, their country's anthem was not played.
Doping? No! No! Russians are clean!!! :liar:
2nd Russian athlete fails doping test at Winter Olympics
By PATRICK REEVELL Feb 23, 2018, 3:00 PM ET

A second Russian athlete has failed a doping test at the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, days after a Russian curler had to hand back a bronze medal over a doping offense, reviving once again the doping scandal that has hung around Russia at the Games and hurting the country's chances of being reinstated for the closing ceremony this weekend.

The Russian Bobsled Federation in a statement confirmed that Nadezhda Sergeeva, a bobsled pilot for the Russian women’s team in Pyeongchang, had tested positive for a banned heart medication.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/2nd ... d=53301854

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:27 am

Towards the end of the 2016 election, I suggested on another forum that we were entering WWIII, with cyberwarfare at the forefront. Nothing since then has changed my mind.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Lani wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:27 am
Towards the end of the 2016 election, I suggested on another forum that we were entering WWIII, with cyberwarfare at the forefront. Nothing since then has changed my mind.
You were very late in coming to that conclusion.
Lani wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 am
Pay attention to this.

When spies talk to the press, the talking is part of the spying. Always. This cyber-attribution is a bit different, though. It's very direct. These attribution statements are usually filled with cautious restraint and delayed by weeks or months, because it takes time to gather and analyze all the evidence. This attribution basically says, "We saw you do it and we know you're planning something else" (which might or might not be true).

This attribution also says to NK, "Don't trust Russia. They'll use you for cannon fodder just as surely as they'll use you for saber rattling." And it says this just on the eve of an informal tripartite meet between the US and delegates of SK and NK.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Lani wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:27 am
A long, long time ago, way back in the dark ages of the 90s, a uni friend and I used to stay up late playing this game with the end-goal of deciding on the best way of causing chaos in a country without actually hurting anyone. Most of my ideas centered around hacking. I thought my best idea was hacking into the system which controls international monetary transfers (back then, I remember, the trans-Atlantic system was called Fish and Chips.) I should point out this was just an on-going discussion and I know absolutely nothing about hacking, other than what I've read in a handful of Wired magazine articles; and besides I like money too much to ever hurt it! Oddly enough, a few years later, my friend moved to Moscow . . . .

(No, really, he did. But it was only for a semester, and then he moved back with his Russian girlfriend.)

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”