Anti-Semitism Everywhere

TollandRCR

Re: Anti-Semitism Everywhere

Post #151 by TollandRCR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 pm

I sometimes write things that are not 100% clear, and people have jumped on me because they chose to read something in an unfavorable light.

Washington Post What happens when two immigrants, five liberals and a Trump voter sit down to dinner
By Caitlin Gibson March 17 https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/what-happens-when-two-immigrants-five-liberals-and-a-trump-voter-sit-down-to-dinner/2017/03/17/3752355c-08da-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html?utm_term=.0cbcd4c0e256

Interesting conversations. People learn things. They follow these rules for 100 dinners in the first 100 days of Trump's presidency:

God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. First Corinthians 1:27 AKJV

RoadScholar

Post #152 by RoadScholar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

FWIW, I didn't read it as anti-semitism on Fortinbras' part; I read it as him trivializing anti-semitic acts done by right-wingers. And as half my family is Jewish, that won't fly with me.

I do however agree with him and others that Trumpism probably didn't create any new racist haters, the ShitGibbon just emboldened the extant population of them to act on it.

Maybe he worded it badly, but what he said about the anti-semitic acts sounded a lot like the way right-wingers call white supremacist terrorism "isolated incidents" done by "troubled lone wolves" so they don't have to own them. If that's not an accurate reading, I owe him an apology.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Foggy

Post #153 by Foggy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

But most white supremacist terrorist attacks ARE isolated incidents committed by 'lone wolves'. The organized part of that is the Breitbarts, the Fox News, the WND ... it's the right wing nuttosphere that inspires these whackjobs, but - thank Dog - there are very few really organized right wing attacks.

I believe in pee hookers. :blink:

RoadScholar

Post #154 by RoadScholar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 pm

That's just it... they use those terms to claim that Fox 'News,' Breitbart, Infowars, et.al. are NOT responsible for the attacks they so obviously provoke. Isn't a prolonged, tangible pattern of stochastic terrorism tantamount to an organized phenomenon?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

vic

Post #155 by vic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:30 am

RoadScholar wrote:FWIW, I didn't read it as anti-semitism on Fortinbras' part; I read it as him trivializing anti-semitic acts done by right-wingers. And as half my family is Jewish, that won't fly with me.

I do however agree with him and others that Trumpism probably didn't create any new racist haters, the ShitGibbon just emboldened the extant population of them to act on it.

Maybe he worded it badly, but what he said about the anti-semitic acts sounded a lot like the way right-wingers call white supremacist terrorism "isolated incidents" done by "troubled lone wolves" so they don't have to own them. If that's not an accurate reading, I owe him an apology.

:like:

Since that cold dark November day I've tried to ignore all the threads related to Trump and the election. Every so often I read all the threads I don't think fall into those categories, then do a "mark all threads as read". I wasn't sure about this one, and so saw Fortinbras' post.

I don't care whether he's a Jew or not ( know I am, and I have he circumcision certificate to prove it). I was disturbed by his post. He seemed to be attacking a straw man that the trumpism was creating racists, and in so doing, it sounded like he was saying that trumpism wasn't as bad as some "we" were saying. And that doesn't fly.

While I've avoided the trump threads here, my facebook feed is full of posts about all the crap that's happening. And while I see the SPLC and the ACLU posting about the increase in racist incidents, nowhere have I seen anyone saying that new racists were being created. So why post that something which nobody is claiming to be happening isn't happening?

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post #156 by Flatpointhigh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Foggy wrote:But most white supremacist terrorist attacks ARE isolated incidents committed by 'lone wolves'. The organized part of that is the Breitbarts, the Fox News, the WND ... it's the right wing nuttosphere that inspires these whackjobs, but - thank Dog - there are very few really organized right wing attacks.

It's called "Stochastic Terrorism"

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

RVInit

Post #157 by RVInit » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 pm

A very interesting read with clear examples of people committing acts of aggression, including murder and attempted murder after consuming a steady diet of the likes of Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, Alex Jones and other pot stirrers.

http://stochasticterrorism.blogspot.com/

Here are the opening paragraphs, and it gets better. Seems like a well researched, fact based account of how rwnj teevee works to get the crazies motivated.

Stochastic terrorism is the use of mass communications to incite random actors to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable. In short, remote-control murder by lone wolf.

This is what occurs when Bin Laden releases a video that stirs random extremists halfway around the globe to commit a bombing or shooting.

This is also the term for what Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity, and others do. And this is what led directly and predictably to a number of cases of ideologically-motivated murder similar to the Tucson shootings. As of this writing, there is no evidence to link Jared Loughner to a specific source of incitement; but some of the other cases can be clearly linked.

The stochastic terrorist is the person who is responsible for the incitement. For example they go on radio or television and stir up hatred toward a particular person or group.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”