Canada

Adrianinflorida

Re: Canada

Post by Adrianinflorida » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Doug is a donnie wannabe. We had protests organized by conservative groups and religious organizations against the Sex Ed curriculum in Ontario public schols over the past few years. Doug's solution, roll the curriculum back to the one in the 90s that had no mention of LGBT issues or anything other than abstinence.

Doug also stopped the minimum wage increases in Ontario, got rid of hybrid/electric car tax breaks, etc.

His version of Build The Wall .....roll beer prices back to $1 per can.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm

A real wannabee.

:cry:

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Trudeau live at the university where I work for a town hall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.4979566

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm

I am, at this very minute, attending a live performance of a fabulous singer-songwriter from Canada, Shawna Caspi.

Check her out — she’s fabulous!

http://www.shawnacaspi.com

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm
I am, at this very minute, attending a live performance of a fabulous singer-songwriter from Canada, Shawna Caspi.

Check her out — she’s fabulous!

http://www.shawnacaspi.com
Thanks for the recommendation. I’d never heard of Shawna.

Sarah Slean is another great Canadian singer-songwriter.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:24 am

Thank God for Canada!
By Nicholas Kristof
Freeland was at the airport to welcome Alqunun as a “very brave new Canadian.” And Prime Minister Justin Trudeau didn’t mince words, saying, “We’ll stand up for human rights and women’s rights around the world.”

Canada may be one of the world’s more boring countries, as yawn-inspiring as sensible shoes — wake up, reader, I know you’re snoozing!— but it’s also emerging as a moral leader of the free world.

There’s no one else. The United States under President Trump is on a nationalist tear. Britain’s leaders seem determined to drag their people over a Brexit precipice. France is distracted by protests. Germany is preparing for succession.

:snippity:

During the worst of the Syrian refugee crisis, President Barack Obama admitted just 12,000 Syrians and provoked a furious backlash, including Trump’s Muslim ban. Canada accepted 40,000 Syrians, with Trudeau appearing at the airport to hand out winter coats to these new Canadians.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 am

New York Times
Justin Trudeau’s Political Crisis Widens as Top Aide and Friend Resigns

OTTAWA — The top political adviser to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada resigned on Monday, deepening a political crisis over allegations the government tried to interfere in a criminal court case.

In a statement announcing his departure, Gerald Butts, who has been a close friend of Mr. Trudeau’s since their university days, linked his leaving to the allegations that he, the prime minister and others improperly pressured Jody Wilson-Raybould, when she was the justice minister and attorney general, to quash the criminal prosecution of a major Canadian engineering and construction company.

Mr. Butts repeatedly denied in his resignation letter that any such action took place.

“Any accusation that I or the staff put pressure on the attorney general is simply not true,” Mr. Butts wrote. “But the fact is that this accusation exists. It cannot and should not take one moment away from the vital work the prime minister and his office is doing for all Canadians.”

He added: “It is in the best interests of the office and its important work for me to step away.”

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”