Canada

Adrianinflorida

Re: Canada

Post by Adrianinflorida » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Doug is a donnie wannabe. We had protests organized by conservative groups and religious organizations against the Sex Ed curriculum in Ontario public schols over the past few years. Doug's solution, roll the curriculum back to the one in the 90s that had no mention of LGBT issues or anything other than abstinence.

Doug also stopped the minimum wage increases in Ontario, got rid of hybrid/electric car tax breaks, etc.

His version of Build The Wall .....roll beer prices back to $1 per can.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm

A real wannabee.

:cry:

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Trudeau live at the university where I work for a town hall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.4979566

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm

I am, at this very minute, attending a live performance of a fabulous singer-songwriter from Canada, Shawna Caspi.

Check her out — she’s fabulous!

http://www.shawnacaspi.com
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm
I am, at this very minute, attending a live performance of a fabulous singer-songwriter from Canada, Shawna Caspi.

Check her out — she’s fabulous!

http://www.shawnacaspi.com
Thanks for the recommendation. I’d never heard of Shawna.

Sarah Slean is another great Canadian singer-songwriter.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:24 am

Thank God for Canada!
By Nicholas Kristof
Freeland was at the airport to welcome Alqunun as a “very brave new Canadian.” And Prime Minister Justin Trudeau didn’t mince words, saying, “We’ll stand up for human rights and women’s rights around the world.”

Canada may be one of the world’s more boring countries, as yawn-inspiring as sensible shoes — wake up, reader, I know you’re snoozing!— but it’s also emerging as a moral leader of the free world.

There’s no one else. The United States under President Trump is on a nationalist tear. Britain’s leaders seem determined to drag their people over a Brexit precipice. France is distracted by protests. Germany is preparing for succession.

:snippity:

During the worst of the Syrian refugee crisis, President Barack Obama admitted just 12,000 Syrians and provoked a furious backlash, including Trump’s Muslim ban. Canada accepted 40,000 Syrians, with Trudeau appearing at the airport to hand out winter coats to these new Canadians.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:13 am

New York Times
Justin Trudeau’s Political Crisis Widens as Top Aide and Friend Resigns

OTTAWA — The top political adviser to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada resigned on Monday, deepening a political crisis over allegations the government tried to interfere in a criminal court case.

In a statement announcing his departure, Gerald Butts, who has been a close friend of Mr. Trudeau’s since their university days, linked his leaving to the allegations that he, the prime minister and others improperly pressured Jody Wilson-Raybould, when she was the justice minister and attorney general, to quash the criminal prosecution of a major Canadian engineering and construction company.

Mr. Butts repeatedly denied in his resignation letter that any such action took place.

“Any accusation that I or the staff put pressure on the attorney general is simply not true,” Mr. Butts wrote. “But the fact is that this accusation exists. It cannot and should not take one moment away from the vital work the prime minister and his office is doing for all Canadians.”

He added: “It is in the best interests of the office and its important work for me to step away.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 pm

Reuters
Canada cracks down on asylum seekers crossing U.S.-Canadian border

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada said on Tuesday it planned to spend an additional C$1.2 billion ($902 million) over five years to stem the flow of irregular migrants from the United States, which has become a political threat to the Liberal government ahead of an October election.

Some 57,000 asylum seekers from Nigeria, El Salvador, Honduras and other nations crossed the U.S. border into Canada last year, in some cases citing a fear of persecution by the government of U.S. Donald Trump.

They are allowed to stay until their cases have been heard. Given Canada’s clogged judicial system, that could take years.

Canada began prioritizing the deportation of asylum seekers who walked across the border last year, in a bid to tackle the politically sensitive issue.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:04 pm

Omar Khadr's war crimes sentence is finished, Alberta judge rules
Former Guantanamo Bay prisoner was released on bail in May 2015
CBC News · Posted: Mar 25, 2019 6:00 AM MT | Last Updated: 9 hours ago

Former Guantanamo Bay prisoner Omar Khadr has completed his sentence, an Alberta judge ruled Monday.

Court of Queen's Bench Chief Justice Mary Moreau counted the time Khadr spent on conditional release for nearly four years as counting toward his eight-year sentence.

Moreau declared his sentence over. After the judge left the courtroom, a beaming Khadr embraced his lawyer, Nate Whitling.

Outside court, Khadr said he is pleased with the decision.

"I think it's been a while but I'm happy it's here, and right now I'm going to just try to focus on recovering and not worrying about having to go back to prison, or, you know, just struggling," Khadr told reporters.

Whitling said efforts to overturn Khadr's U.S. convictions will continue. But the completion of his sentence will mean more freedom for his client, Whitling said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5068610

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:13 pm

WaPo
Conservative wave could threaten Canada’s Trudeau

The conservatives are coming for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

A right-of-center party on Tuesday swept to power in the prairie province of Alberta, riding a wave of angst over the province’s struggling oil sector and the federal government’s climate change plan.

The United Conservative Party (UCP), led by Jason Kenney, beat Rachel Notley of the New Democratic Party (NDP) by a good margin, by casting the incumbent, who opposed Trudeau on several issues, as a member of a “Notley-Trudeau alliance.”

With a big win in Alberta, right-leaning parties control five of Canada’s 10 provinces, including Ontario and Quebec (Canada also has three territories). These provincial leaders, called premiers, constitute a growing threat to Trudeau heading into a federal election in October. ...

Kenney and other provincial leaders, including Ontario’s Doug Ford, have taken aim at Trudeau’s policies, particularly his government’s efforts to fight climate change by “'putting a price on pollution” (as the government calls it) or “tax carbon” (as conservative critics like to say).

tek

Post by tek » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 pm

There's no way back
from there to here

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I understand Canada much better now :lol:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:47 am

Globe & Mail
Canada’s new far right: A trove of private chat room messages reveals an extremist subculture

An analysis of 150,000 chat room messages paints a picture of a group that is actively recruiting new members, buying weapons and trying to influence political parties

They come from all walks of life: tradesmen, soldiers, a student teacher, a financial analyst, an aspiring lawyer, among others. And they are in every province, in communities large and small. They gather on the internet to strategize and seek pathways into mainstream politics. They are anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, Islamophobic, sexist and racist. They are young and radicalized. They are the new far right in Canada.

The Globe and Mail has obtained a trove of 150,000 messages posted between February, 2017, and early 2018 that reveal the private communications of a loosely aligned node of Canadian right-wing extremists. The record of their continuing conversations reveals a movement, energized by the rise of white ethnonationalism in the United States, that aims to upend a decades-old multicultural consensus in this country.

The discussions reviewed by The Globe and Mail originally took place on a text-and-voice application called Discord, an app meant for gamers that is also popular with the far right. The group called itself the Canadian Super Players, apparently to disguise themselves as video gamers. ...

The messages were given to The Globe and Mail by Montreal-based anti-fascists, who infiltrated the chat room in order to gather information on the far right and disrupt their activities.

The discussions celebrate Nazism and joke about the Holocaust. They contain boasts of racist, sexist and homophobic behaviour on the part of participants. Many of the in-jokes and memes the members share resemble those propagated by the far right in the United States and Europe.

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:37 pm

I’m terrified about the upcoming federal election in Canada! One thing that gives me hope is that Ford will have pissed off enough people in Ontario that they won’t vote conservative in the federal election.

I’m becoming a doomsayer though.

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”