UK - United Kingdom - England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland

Sterngard Friegen

Re: UK - United Kingdom - England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 am

Boris Johnson is stepping away from a catastrophe of his own making.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 am
Boris Johnson is stepping away from a catastrophe of his own making.
"Stepping away" might not be entirely accurate. Saw something go by on Twitter from a political reporter a few minutes ago to the effect that Downing St announced his resignation before he finished writing his resignation letter.
Edit: Looking for link now

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 am

Friends of @BorisJohnson claim he was writing his resignation letter when No 10 announced his departure. Ouch. They say he's NOT currently planning to do a Geoffrey Howe in the Commons.
Tweet is from a Deputy Political Editor for The Grauniad.

--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 am

Boris was gone after he mouthed off at Checkers at the summit, he just didn't know it. I do think he is egotistical enough to think he wouldn't get fired. He very was wrong!! I don't know if May can hang on but if she doesn't change her approach she won't.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:24 am
Sounds to me like there's an increasingly leaderless ship of state drifting inexorably toward the rocks, which it is scheduled to hit in less than nine month's time.
And a lot of people waiting on the beaches for the cargo to be plundered.

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:13 pm

I guess a lack of oxygen might partially explain Brexit

:blink:

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Guardian - Live: Theresa May would fight any no-confidence vote, says No 10 – politics live

Follow live updates after Boris Johnson follows David Davis in resigning from government; Dominic Raab replaces Davis as Brexit secretary
Independent: Boris Johnson resignation: EU frustration at 'mess' caused by Theresa May's political meltdown

¡Sterngard! come home.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 pm

She may have to.

The only thing that might save her is a lack of other volunteers to take on responsibility for the ongoing slow-motion train wreck.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Actual picture of 10 Downing Street this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm
Actual picture of 10 Downing Street this morning.
I really had no idea how closely the interior of 10 Downing Street resembled the interior of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 pm

In seriousness, I cannot believe that a presumably intelligent politician like Theresa May could have been so thoroughly bamboozled by the sentient, mop-topped assemblage of raw ambition and opportunism disguised as a human being named "Boris Johnson." The fact that that she ever thought for one moment he would be anything other than a disloyal, self-interested backstabber who would gleefully publish long-form essays on the wrongness of her position (which he was obligated as a cabinet minister to support, or resign) for months while simultaneously pissing off Britain's counterparties in the Brexit negotiations before resigning in protest at a time that must have been chosen to cause maximum damage to May's ability to lead the Tory party is absolutely beyond me. It was entirely predictable to anyone who has followed Johnson's career and understands that Boris Johnson only cares about how Boris Johnson can become PM. David Cameron, for all his flaws, grasped this fundamental truth.

Then again, Labour still has Jeremy Corbyn hanging around their necks. :roll:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Ah, Yes Minister was such a wonderful series.

[/imgwidth]

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Suranis wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 pm
Ah, Yes Minister was such a wonderful series.

[/imgwidth]

I always thought that pretty well summed things up. And yes.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 am

The UK data regulator, the ICO, has just levied the maximum fine it is legally permitted to against Facebook. Whist, in real terms not even a minor expense account line tem for Zuckerberg, at £500,000 (circa $650,000), the implications are rather more significant

The ICO fine regime has NOW adjusted to the EU's GDPR set so, a theoretical fine of up to 4% of Facebooks global revenue could have been applied if the Cambridge Analytica et-al unpleasantness had occurred after 25th May 2018, a rather tasty $1.6 billion......

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/11 ... analytica/

One wonders what the Great Sandworm would have twatted if that had occurred..... :swoon:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:31 pm
In seriousness, I cannot believe that a presumably intelligent politician like Theresa May could have been so thoroughly bamboozled by the sentient, mop-topped assemblage of raw ambition and opportunism disguised as a human being named "Boris Johnson."
I think the reason is that in their system, the prime minister leads by consent and consensus. A prime minister who tried to put only her preferred people into top jobs wouldn't survive as other factions of the party wouldn't permit it. In her weak position, May probably saw little option to giving Johnson a job, and it would need to be a relatively big job, as Minister for Paperclips would have been perceived as a worse insult than being frozen out.

The old adage about better having them (Johnson and Davis) inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in applies ... except that those two were pissing everywhere, splashing everybody.

There is also the principle of "you wanted Brexit, you make it happen."

The Brits certainly have made themselves a mess. But the US is not really in a position to offer advice about runnia democracy and dealing with international partners at this moment!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:45 am

May is ineffective as a leader. Is there another Tory to take her place? How would a snap election turn out?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Ring of steel goes up outside US ambassador's residence in Regent's Park to shield president from protesters

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 82671.html

A plea to British people to take Donald Trump’s outrageous utterances “with a grain of salt” was made today by the head of the US Republican party’s supporters in the UK.

Sarah Elliott said she herself had been embarrassed by some of President Trump’s comments, including sexist remarks about crotch-grabbing, but appealed to people not to take his words too seriously.

As new fences and counter-terrorist concrete bollards were installed at the US ambassador’s residence in Regent’s Park ahead of his visit, Ms Elliott admitted: “There are a lot of things I wish he hadn’t said.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Can't wait for Friday's protests :popcorn:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Running that Ambassadors statement through my transation software, I come up with "I'm scared shitless, and I'd rather be in a fire ant nest than here right now. Fuck Trump for this."

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Too bad, so sad. He bought and paid for the job, wonder if he thinks it was such a bargain now?

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 pm
...with a grain of salt... embarrassed...sexist remarks about crotch-grabbing....not to take his words too seriously.
...I wish he hadn’t...
Ah the wondrous backflips through hoops a British Republican must perform!
Suranis wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 pm
Running that Ambassadors statement through my transation software, I come up with "I'm scared shitless, and I'd rather be in a fire ant nest than here right now. Fuck Trump for this."
Right. Or, just, "The MFer tells lies, bald-faced shithead lies..."

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:18 pm

So, the betting pool for totday..

Trump's first outrageous behavior in Britain.

I'm thinking he slaps the Queen and then tells her she needs to make sure all the protesters who make it impossible for him to make a speech in Westminster should be locked up in the Tower of London.

At his meeting with the PM, he demands Britain "build a wall" across the English Channel, to keep all the foreigners out (I dunno, the HM Government might go along with that one).

Somewhere he'll say something to offend Soccer fans, always a dangerous thing in England, but now especially.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Fantasy - that Lizzie turns on the ball of her foot when seeing the DICKTUS and walks out.

Her corpse could sit on the throne for 300 years after that.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Military marching band awaits Pres and Mrs Trump upon arrival at @BlenheimPalace.

Return to “International Culture & Current Events”