Flying the unfriendly skies

Lani

Re: Flying the unfriendly skies

Post by Lani » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:23 am

Let's say the young man was assigned to the exit row. Still the airline's fault. Can't randomly assign passengers to that row because of the duties (see above) that they have to accept voluntarily and be capable of providing.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:08 am

Frater I*I wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 pm
If the fact that the autistic family member was sitting in a emergency exit row, then I understand why the FA had issues as well as the flight crew. I've worked in aviation maintenance for over 6 1/2 years, and one thing about over wing exits is that people who sit there must A] be able to open the hatch with weights 60 LBS, B] Keep calm during the evacuation, and C] Direct others to the exit. As described by his family member he would not be able to do a few of these, yet that does not forgive the FC for this charlie fox. They should have accommodated the family, after all it is done for service animals. As for the flight crew, even though SkyWest is not part of Delta, they do answer to them, and one of the big thing that Delta usually prides itself on is customer service [well better that the others of the big three, airlines are airlines], so most likely they'll be gone. Plus the aviation community [pilots, FA, mechs, ect.] is a small one, so their rep will follow them around the industry.
But there were 2 other family members the autistic person could have been seated by. Or, just shuffle several people so the autistic person and the relative were not in the exit row. The whole point of being in the exit row is that they ask you if you are comfortable performing those functions. If not, what happens? You move. On a full flight, that means someone else, who is comfortable performing those functions, has to move. The exit row issue, even if true, is a red herring.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 am

As SLQ sez, the exit row issue seems a red herring. I've been seated in by emergency exits and had the "pull this lever if … nooo! not now!!" instruction. So yes, they might want to move a lad who they believed wasn't up to the responsibility. But surely then the flight attendant would find some people who didn't mind changing, such as the entire row in front or behind that row. Who wouldn't change, if you have a flight attendant explaining apologetically that it's an FAA safety requirement, and the plane cannot take off until the seating assignments are acceptable? And everybody can still be seated beside their playmates, it's just a micro faffette collecting one's trinkets from the seat pocket and wriggling out of and into seats.

And then you'd expect the pilot to deal with the escalated issue by ordering passengers politely to move so everybody can get up into the air, not by stomping off.

The story needs a telling from the viewpoints of other participants and witnesses.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 am

If the exit row thing is accurate, why did her supervisor agree with the family? Wouldn't the supervisor have known the rules about the exit row? And one would think if there was a legitimate explanation such as FAA rules about the exit row seating, that the airlines (either one of them) would have mentioned that by now in their own defense, or that someone at some point would have mentioned it before cancelling an entire flight. If the brother is mischaracterizing it, we would have heard an alternate story from the airlines by now and the flight crew probably wouldn't have been grounded.

On the other hand, who the hell knows any more what airlines will do.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:49 am

I wonder if the pilot shutting down the flight was the only way he could think of for getting rid of that particular flight attendant?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 am

I suspect that racism played a role.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 am

Seat assignments? Southwest Airlines doesn't have these problems.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm
ScumWest carries the Deltas logo but is a separate company. The flight attendant needs to be fired. Or maybe hired by the Trump Administration.
Well, sort of. If the family knew this was a problem, they had the option to pay the higher fare for reserved seating, they cheaped out and I can tell you, to buy the cheap "we'll put you where we want you to sit and you'll like it, but its saves you $10" tickets, you have to ackowlage that you're buying the "basic economy" seat and you don't get any frills at all. No meal, no peanuts, no little lemon soaked paper napkins, usage fee for the lav and no seat assignment choices.

Frankly, as someone who has been around one too many entitled airline passenger and their comfort peacock, I don't have a lot of sympathy. The brother has medical issues, not his fault, but the family should have known to buy at least one upcharge ticket so that he didn't have to sit alone.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Frater I*I wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 pm
If the fact that the autistic family member was sitting in a emergency exit row, then I understand why the FA had issues as well as the flight crew. I've worked in aviation maintenance for over 6 1/2 years, and one thing about over wing exits is that people who sit there must A] be able to open the hatch with weights 60 LBS, B] Keep calm during the evacuation, and C] Direct others to the exit. As described by his family member he would not be able to do a few of these, yet that does not forgive the FC for this charlie fox. They should have accommodated the family, after all it is done for service animals. As for the flight crew, even though SkyWest is not part of Delta, they do answer to them, and one of the big thing that Delta usually prides itself on is customer service [well better that the others of the big three, airlines are airlines], so most likely they'll be gone. Plus the aviation community [pilots, FA, mechs, ect.] is a small one, so their rep will follow them around the industry.
Trust me on this, they'll be freaking heros in the industry and never have to buy their own drinks again. You have to know some flight crew to understand how close they are to doing barrel rolls until the half the passengers throw up on most days. They take an incredible amount of abuse and have incredible responsibility, but every time something like this happens, they get it from all sides no matter what they do. I'm sure the whole story is a little more complicated than they tell it here, and like I said, you have to say "OK" three times to buy the no seat assignment tickets that are a little cheaper, you don't get booked that way by accident.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:12 pm

I am flying home with Mom from Houston to Ohio in a couple weeks. She has a portable O2 concentrator and has an extra battery, uses wheelchair and is legally blind. Who should I insist on speaking to at the airline so that we have no issues with her O2 and assistive devices?

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Call their customer service line at the Houston Airport and ask to speak to the gate supervisor. Let them know you're coming, what you have and find out what they need so you don't have any surprises. Its a good idea to call the actual airport you're flying out of, because as much as we want to think they'd be able to be the same all over, they're not. Get a name, take notes, arrive early and don't do anything to draw any attention to yourself beyond what it takes to get on the plane.

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Air Carrier Access Act
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsu ... sabilities
Airlines may not require advance notice that a person with a disability is traveling. Air carriers may require up to 48 hours’ advance notice for certain accommodations that require preparation time (e.g., respirator hook-up, transportation of an electric wheelchair on an aircraft with less than 60 seats).
You can use the wheelchair right up to the door of the plane, then use the aisle chair. Your chair will be tagged and put with the strollers, etc. When you land, it will be waiting at the door of the plane. If you send it as baggage, it is more likely to be lost and/or damaged.

If any equipment is damaged, report it at the airport before you leave. Otherwise, your claim may be (probably will be) denied.

Check your airline's website to find the phone number for passengers travelling with disabilities. The person you speak with will be more knowledgeable about how to accommodate your mom and will include that information for people at the airport.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Thank you all!

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Kids And Adults With Autism Flying Easier In Pittsburgh, With Airport's Help
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... ports-help
Pittsburgh International Airport recently opened a suite of "sensory rooms" inside its airside terminal to help travelers on the autism spectrum decompress from the stress of flying. It's one of a handful of airports internationally that have made changes to be more accommodating to people with special needs.

The 1,500-square-foot space in Pittsburgh is quiet, muting the hustle and bustle from the terminal. Designed with input from people who have autism, it features soft furniture and whimsical lighting features, including colorful bubble towers and multiple soundproof rooms. There's also a room designed to replicate an airplane cabin, complete with airplane seats, trays, windows and overhead compartments, so kids and adults can get used to the feeling of sitting on a plane.

Traveling through an airport can be an anxiety-inducing experience for anyone, but for people on the autism spectrum, the sensory bombardment can make the experience even more intense.

"Between smells and sounds and sights and ... announcements — all of that can be alarming for a lot of typical people," says University of Pittsburgh special education professor Rachel Robertson. "But for people with autism, it could be really terrifying."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:52 pm

There are delayed flights — and then there's Delta 975 out of New York
Passengers on the LAX-bound flight described their 18-hour wait in the terminal as 'hell.'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/th ... d_nn_tw_ma
Flight 975 was supposed to take off at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday from John F. Kennedy International Airport and appeared to be routinely late, not pushing out of the gate until 4:27 p.m., according to data from airline tracking service FlightAware.

But Flight 975 never took off Wednesday and passengers said they were boarded and re-boarded at least twice and never offered lodging for the night, according to passenger Emma Slater, a dancer on "Dancing with the Stars."

:snippity:

"Delta apologizes to customers on Flight 975 operating from NY-JFK to Los Angeles, which was delayed last night due to weather in New York," Delta said in a statement. "Customers were offered water and snacks, pillows and blankets in the terminal, and the flight departed at approximately 10am for Los Angeles this morning."

But FlightAware Vice President Matt Davis said there were no weather conditions out of JFK on Wednesday that would have forced significant delays or cancellations.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:52 pm
There are delayed flights — and then there's Delta 975 out of New York
Passengers on the LAX-bound flight described their 18-hour wait in the terminal as 'hell.'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/th ... d_nn_tw_ma
Flight 975 was supposed to take off at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday from John F. Kennedy International Airport and appeared to be routinely late, not pushing out of the gate until 4:27 p.m., according to data from airline tracking service FlightAware.

But Flight 975 never took off Wednesday and passengers said they were boarded and re-boarded at least twice and never offered lodging for the night, according to passenger Emma Slater, a dancer on "Dancing with the Stars."

"Delta apologizes to customers on Flight 975 operating from NY-JFK to Los Angeles, which was delayed last night due to weather in New York," Delta said in a statement. "Customers were offered water and snacks, pillows and blankets in the terminal, and the flight departed at approximately 10am for Los Angeles this morning."

But FlightAware Vice President Matt Davis said there were no weather conditions out of JFK on Wednesday that would have forced significant delays or cancellations.

It was getting dark.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 am

crosspost
Real ID
Flying with a REAL ID

Save the date.
Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Check for the star.
REAL ID-compliant cards are generally marked with a star located in the upper portion of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

It’s the law.
Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the federal government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act and implementing regulations establish minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibit federal agencies, like TSA, from accepting licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards for official purposes, such as getting through the airport security checkpoint to board a plane. Learn more about REAL ID enforcement.

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:29 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 am
crosspost
Real ID
Flying with a REAL ID

Save the date.
Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Check for the star.
REAL ID-compliant cards are generally marked with a star located in the upper portion of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

It’s the law.

Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the federal government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act and implementing regulations establish minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibit federal agencies, like TSA, from accepting licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards for official purposes, such as getting through the airport security checkpoint to board a plane. Learn more about REAL ID enforcement.

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id
A current U.S. passport will also suffice.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:04 pm

I remember about 30 years ago, when I was a member of the Board of Trustees of Mary Holmes College, trying to board a Piedmont Air flight in West Point, Mississippi to Atlanta, Georgia. After being told my flight was late is said, "Whaddya mean, the flight is boarding now." "That's yesterday's flight," I was told, "it's 24 hours late."

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:04 pm
I remember about 30 years ago, when I was a member of the Board of Trustees of Mary Holmes College, trying to board a Piedmont Air flight in West Point, Mississippi to Atlanta, Georgia. After being told my flight was late is said, "Whaddya mean, the flight is boarding now." "That's yesterday's flight," I was told, "it's 24 hours late."
Something similar happened to me once. I was in Alaska where flights are regularly cancelled because of the weather. I was worried about making my connection in Anchorage because the flight in from Seattle had been delayed, but when I got to the gate in Anchorage the agent told me the flights were all cancelled — Not because of weather, but because the airline had gone out of business. She directed me to another airline that *might* honor my ticket, given that I was traveling on the government’s dime. That airline’s gate agent told me they’d honor the ticket, but gestured to the 300 or so people crammed into the waiting area and said, “those people have been waiting here for two days.” But they rallied and got three flights out in the space of a couple of hours, so I ended up not having to wait that long.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:25 am

BA sorry for sending flight cancellation email to wrong passengers
‘Error’ meant some customers were incorrectly told their flights were cancelled after strike announcement

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 1566730273
Numerous passengers on flights that will be grounded tried in vain to contact the airline to make alternative arrangements on Saturday. One told the PA news agency his 10-year wedding anniversary “trip of a lifetime” was in doubt after more than 100 calls to BA to get a refund went unanswered.

The airline’s customer service lines were jammed on Saturday morning after passengers booked on flights received emails overnight warning “a large number of delays and cancellations” were likely during the action.

The British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa) announced the strikes on Friday night after 93% of its members rejected an 11.5% pay rise across three years.

Scott Kishere, a filmmaker and police community officer, told PA: “My wife and I have been told that our flight to Toronto has been cancelled. This was a full package we booked through BA for our 10-year wedding anniversary. I have made over 100 attempts to contact them for a refund and they’re not answering.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 am

British Airways drafts in extra staff to deal with pilot strike chaos

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 1566899929
Numerous passengers said they were struggling to get through to customer services after the pilot walkouts were confirmed on Friday. It came after BA failed to settle a long-running dispute with the British Airline Pilots’ Association (Balpa), with the union calling for a 11.5% pay rise for members over three years.

BA said it received more than 60,000 phone calls and 52,000 Twitter messages over the long weekend, when it had 500 customer service staff on hand.

Adam French, a consumer rights expert at Which?, said: “BA must urgently get its act together and ensure that anyone whose flight is cancelled is rerouted, regardless of whether it is with a different airline or not.

“The airline also needs to do right by passengers who spent hundreds of pounds on new flights when they were wrongly told that their original flights had been cancelled and make sure they are not left out of pocket.”

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:44 pm

Concerned Airline Employee Screams ‘Evacuate!’ At Newark Liberty Airport, Total Chaos Ensues

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/09/02 ... erminal-a/
As alarms rang out inside an empty Terminal A unattended bags lay scattered across the ground. Around 200 frightened passengers left them behind as they fled the airport following verbal instructions from the gate agent.

On the tarmac, Port Authority police vehicles surrounded concerned passengers at the Alaska Airlines gate.

“She started screaming ‘Evacuate! Evacuate! Evacuate!’ Everyone just took off in a mad scramble. Everyone was running. People were crying. They left their luggage,” traveler Diane Park told CBS2’s Matt Kozar.

“There was a woman at one point who came out on the railing of the jetway and started pointing at a couple people from the crowd and the police took those people from the crowd aside,” one person said. “I don’t know what the context was there.”

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:25 am

ABC News
@ABC
·
55m
GROUNDED: British Airways says it has had to cancel almost all flights as a result of a pilots' 48-hour strike over pay. https://abcn.ws/2UFdsLM

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”