College choices

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: College choices

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:55 am

Foggy wrote:What? You mean it might be a mistake to make fun of her with rude wisecracks? :think:

Oh, all right. If you say so. :dance:
I assumed there was a suave, smooth Don Juan Fogger. You know what they say when one ASSuMEs.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:43 am

So was the class selection like this?

[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 am

At Augustana, they have full week of events for the new freshmen packed into the four days from move in Thursday until the start of classes on Monday. They don't give the kids a chance to get homesick.

As for us, after the "short goodbye" and parents reception, we are thinking of staying the night and going out to dinner across the river. Davenport Iowa is a surprisingly nice city. I don't want to head home that afternoon as it is a three hour drive, just in time to hit the Chicago area rush hour. :madguy:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:51 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:So was the class selection like this?

According to my son, it was a bunch of nervous high school kids.

He seemed OK with it, as he already knew which classes he wanted to take.

Dr. Blue

Post by Dr. Blue » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:42 am

Foggy wrote:In August our 15 yr. old son moves out of our house and into the dorms at the School of Science and Math about 30 miles from here ... and they dang well better do some sort of distraction for ol' Wifehorn, because she is NOT going to take it well. :fingerwag:
Wow! Serious congratulations! NCSSM is very difficult to get into, so your son must be doing really well!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:58 am

Off Topic
Our son is 15 going on 30. When he was 7, he was playing online video games with a bunch of teenagers, like 17 and up. He would avoid talking much (a normally very talkative kid) and he would make his voice REAL LOW so nobody would figure out how young he was. Today he's the leader of a team of online warriors. Also a math genius, tutors other kids in his classes, never gets a B. And it's harder to be the smartest kid in our big county than the smartest kid in a county of 5 or 10 thousand people. He's super honest, very witty, and totally embarrassed by his dad. Great kid, and so is his older brother.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:05 pm

:like: :like: :flag:

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:06 pm

We have four weekend Open Houses for admitted students. Both parents and kids come, but my strong impression over a dozen years of helping to run these events is that kids who can talk with a professor without interference of parents get a head start on making independent decisions.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Foggy wrote:
Off Topic
Our son is 15 going on 30. When he was 7, he was playing online video games with a bunch of teenagers, like 17 and up. He would avoid talking much (a normally very talkative kid) and he would make his voice REAL LOW so nobody would figure out how young he was. Today he's the leader of a team of online warriors. Also a math genius, tutors other kids in his classes, never gets a B. And it's harder to be the smartest kid in our big county than the smartest kid in a county of 5 or 10 thousand people. He's super honest, very witty, and totally embarrassed by his dad. Great kid, and so is his older brother.
A friend of mine, who used to teach at the NCSSM, suggested that the best thing you could do to help get your son into the school would be to move out to the sticks (as they try to balance the number of students from each county). That he made it in while living in the Triangle (not just a heavily populated area, but one with a very high proportion of PhDs and others with advanced degrees too [also]) is extremely impressive.
:clap: :dance: :thumbs:

:cheer: :happyfamily: :bunny: :happyfamily: :cheer1:
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:41 am

proud foggy.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:56 pm

So, as the big day gets closer, we are starting to assemble the bits and pieces of his future life.

Unfortunately he is quite stymied over his next big choice.

What computer to get.

Fortunately, we have a decent budget, from some money his grandmother left him, and some from his parents. but I'm not willing to let him get some huge expensive gaming unit, either.

He's been thinking of getting a 13" MacBook Pro
It's about the same cost as some of the better PC notebooks out there.

I've been thinking of a mid range, durable PC like a thinkpad 13 and a new iPad Pro

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Chilidog wrote:So, as the big day gets closer, we are starting to assemble the bits and pieces of his future life.

Unfortunately he is quite stymied over his next big choice.

What computer to get.

Fortunately, we have a decent budget, from some money his grandmother left him, and some from his parents. but I'm not willing to let him get some huge expensive gaming unit, either.

He's been thinking of getting a 13" MacBook Pro
It's about the same cost as some of the better PC notebooks out there.

I've been thinking of a mid range, durable PC like a thinkpad 13 and a new iPad Pro

Any thoughts or suggestions?
You are wise in not wanting the best of the best in a computer. The last thing he needs is to have the best gaming computer in the dorm.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 am

I was talking about buying a new computer with a friend last week.(we're both Mac people) and he said the the new Macbook Pro coming out in the fall will be much better than the current version. I've got a seven-year old coal-fired Macbook Pro (it was state of the art when :sterngard: was young) that I desperately want to replace and the money to do it, but I'm waiting for the new versions (fast quad core and 32 gigabytes of memory). Waiting might not be an option for Chillpup (and I have... unusually high compter perfomance needs), but if he's considering a Mac he should at least know about the new version on deck.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:28 am

I thought they just released the new versions?

I think we are going to go with the lower end pro-13 model

At this point, he doesn't need anything more than that.

He has expressed some desire to take a class in video production. If he does, and wants to explore that, well, we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:28 am

I would advise against buying the "best" laptop for a college freshman. My BIL and SIL bought our youngest a high end laptop when he graduated from high school and it had to be replaced by his junior year. And that one just got replaced with a Mac Air (??). Buy what he needs to do the school work in his (anticipated) classes. These things are not like good vehicles that will last for 10 years+. Chilipup has a long road ahead of him. Budget accordingly. :blink:
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:42 am

We spent the afternoon yesterday looking at various models at best buy and the apple store to get a better idea of what is available and what he would be comfortable with.

The latest plan seems to be: an inexpensive all-in-one desktop with an iPad plus for mobile use.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Well tomorrow we drive out to Rock Island. We have an early move in slog at 7:00 pm and then, Thursday morning is the official move in time.

The "short good bye" is at 1:30 and then there after a few parent meetings and a reception with the college president, we are cast adrift, childless once more.

We are going to stay the night to decompress and do a sort of micro vaycay

I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to follow current events, but then again I'm not sure I want to.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:38 pm

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Chili, I read that as "decompress in the microwave".

Best luck to chili-up. It's an exciting time!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:10 pm

There's an emotional fogbower and his son in this one.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:45 pm

:thumbs:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 am

Let's move! Malia Obama checks into Harvard dorm with help from Barack and Michelle, who cover their eyes as they make emotional exit after saying goodbye to the college freshman
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rvard.html

Been there, done that.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Well, after 1 trimester and a couple weeks, I have to say that the Chillpup made a good choice.

He's happy at Augustana, excelling in his classes, and he just got his first research / internship opportunity. This May he's going to be helping one of the biology professors with a research project studying turtles. So, after school lets out in May, he gets to stay on campus for a couple extra weeks splashing around in the slough catching turtle hatchlings.

He's really excited about that.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm

kaep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Skip Intro wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm
kaep.jpg
He thinks the ACLU is a college?

Maybe he's just dyslexic.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:48 pm
Well, after 1 trimester and a couple weeks, I have to say that the Chillpup made a good choice.

He's happy at Augustana, excelling in his classes, and he just got his first research / internship opportunity. This May he's going to be helping one of the biology professors with a research project studying turtles. So, after school lets out in May, he gets to stay on campus for a couple extra weeks splashing around in the slough catching turtle hatchlings.

He's really excited about that.
That's great!

Maybe he can find out if it's turtles all the way down or turtles and elephants.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”