NaNoWriMo 2011-2019

Addie

NaNoWriMo 2011-2019

Post by Addie »

Title changed for encouragement.

--------------------------------------------

Oh, Listmeeeeeeeee

Did you sign up? :mrgreen:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

DaveMuckey

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by DaveMuckey »

Oh, Listmeeeeeeeee

Did you sign up? :mrgreen:You appear to be typing with marbles in your mouth. :D

Addie

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Addie »

Oreo cookies :D
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

listeme

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by listeme »

Yep :)And I have my notes.That's as far as I've gotten!
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Whatever4

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Whatever4 »

What a novel concept.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Addie »

I almost didn't, but I signed up today. I'm a nervous wreck already. ?( Yep :)And I have my notes.That's as far as I've gotten!

PaulG

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by PaulG »

Can you write a novel in a month? How many hours a day does one spend? I'd like to try but I have no more idea how to go about that than how I would eat a piano.

Addie

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Addie »

It's only a first draft of 50,000 words, Paul. It will be very rough. You don't have to worry about editing or anything else at this point. If you have an idea for a novel, go for it. I'm not one for outlining, I just start with one sentence and build from there, but you may find an outline works better for you.Edit: Paul, I was reading [/break1]writing-world.com/fiction/outlining.shtml]this article earlier today. You may find it helpful.

PaulG

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by PaulG »

That article is interesting. In the early 80's I went to a talk by Fred Pohl. His advice - Write every day. If you write every day, you are a writer, otherwise, you aren't.It seems to me the best thing is to start with the end, add the beginning and work towards the middle. Sort of like the trans continental railroad. I hate the missing ending issue. I don't watch a lot of TV because I will start with a series and give up as it is so obvious even after a few episodes that they have no idea where a series is going. They haven't thought of an ending yet. Well, I haven't signed up yet, but I'm tempted.

A Legal Lohengrin

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

It seems to me the best thing is to start with the end, add the beginning and work towards the middle. Sort of like the trans continental railroad. I hate the missing ending issue. I don't watch a lot of TV because I will start with a series and give up as it is so obvious even after a few episodes that they have no idea where a series is going. They haven't thought of an ending yet. Well, I haven't signed up yet, but I'm tempted.I have to disagree that knowing how it ends is a necessary factor in a TV series. Vince Gilligan stated that he still doesn't know how Breaking Bad is going to end, and that is IMO the best show currently on television and, quite possibly, ever.I'll note, though, that at least one author I know of used the specific method of starting with the end. Stephen R. Donaldson states that is how he wrote his Thomas Covenant trilogies.

PaulG

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by PaulG »

I have to disagree that knowing how it ends is a necessary factor in a TV series. Vince Gilligan stated that he still doesn't know how Breaking Bad is going to end, and that is IMO the best show currently on television and, quite possibly, ever.A friend who watches that and had been trying to get me to watch since the beginning has recently decided that he hates it. Why? Because he doesn't think the writer has an ending. Plus, I'd offer anything Chris Carter did as a counter example. By the middle of the X-Files, I wanted cigarette man to show up with an Uzi and just put an end to the whole incoherent mess. And Millennium? Ow. Ow. Ow. (And yet I love them because of any episode Darren Morgan wrote. Each was a brilliant but completely self-contained story.)On the other hand, anybody read Jack Vance's Demon Princes series? I love those books. I'm sure he had no idea where the series was going. Vance took a decade off to regroup between books 3 and 4, but even before that the series seems to be going off the rails. He starts with a trained killer, he becomes a counterfeiter in the second book, pals around with a performance artist in the third, the fourth and fifth are just weird.

A Legal Lohengrin

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

A friend who watches that and had been trying to get me to watch since the beginning has recently decided that he hates it. Why? Because he doesn't think the writer has an ending. Plus, I'd offer anything Chris Carter did as a counter example. By the middle of the X-Files, I wanted cigarette man to show up with an Uzi and just put an end to the whole incoherent mess. And Millennium? Ow. Ow. Ow. (And yet I love them because of any episode Darren Morgan wrote. Each was a brilliant but completely self-contained story.)Well, the majority of people seem to disagree with your friend. I'd also agree with you on X-Files, which should have been cancelled the moment Duchovny left. It was absolutely a waste of time after that. Nevertheless, the first three seasons are among my favorite television ever.I assume you also know that Vince Gilligan got his start with X-Files, so it is not surprising his successes as well as his flaws are somewhat similar to those of Chris Carter.I also note that Breaking Bad is vying for favorite television series ever in my head with Six Feet Under, another show that sometimes had muddled story arcs. I actually don't like knowing how a series is going to end before it does. Why bother watching to the end if I already know what it is?Speaking of series that had an end and never got to get there, I think it is one of the worst tragedies since canceling Star Trek that Deadwood didn't get to finish.Finally, another kind of series that doesn't need to have an end is the police procedural. Every episode is a self-contained story, character development is generally limited and there really is no end to crimes to solve. I think this is the root of why so many of the lengthiest series on TV are police procedurals and, often, spinoffs from other police procedurals.

PaulG

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by PaulG »

I think the series that has self-contained episodes is a different category. Rockford Files. Rockford Files. Rockford Files. The new series seem like they are waiting for a great self contained episode to interrupt the mediocre story arc that got them green-lighted in the first place.But I do think the departure from self contained episodes over the last few decades has been a loss in general. The original Star Trek consisted entirely (I think) of single episodes as did most series. I've been watching old Fugitive episodes and those are all self contained, and if you can do it with that, what can't you do it with?Oh and Rockford Files, of course.

A Legal Lohengrin

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

But I do think the departure from self contained episodes over the last few decades has been a loss in general. The original Star Trek consisted entirely (I think) of single episodes as did most series. I've been watching old Fugitive episodes and those are all self contained, and if you can do it with that, what can't you do it with?I suppose I'm going to disagree again. I preferred ST:TNG to TOS precisely because of the sort of "soap opera for nerds" aspect to it. I like story arcs, I like messy story arcs, and I like actually not knowing what is going to happen next episode, or at the end of the series.In Breaking Bad, for instance, I have no idea what will happen from episode to episode, as even major characters could suddenly die horribly. I don't know how it will end, except in general. I am pretty sure Walt is going to die, because he has to die. That leaves a lot of slack. My personal favorite scenario is that Jesse finds out all the scummy shit Walt has done to him and personally kills him.Breaking Bad is sort of an unusual scenario, in that the protagonist has done nothing but get more and more reprehensible, but somehow remains sympathetic to some extent.

kate520

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by kate520 »

David Lynch's Twin Peaks started with such promise. I'd never seen anything like it and I couldn't wait to see where it was taking us...until I pretty quickly realized that Lynch had no idea. It meandered off and got boring PDQ, if Lynch can be said to be boring. I think sitting down to write a story without the end in sight often necessary, because sometimes the characters have better ideas than you do. --> Letting the characters you create have a say in how your tale twists and turns is one thing, but a TV show must have someplace to go before it starts or everyone just gets lost from the outset. I'm signed on. I have 10 chapters done on a novel I started before my son was born. Maybe I can finish it. :roll: I think about it all the time.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Estiveo

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Estiveo »

David Lynch's Twin Peaks started with such promise. I'd never seen anything like it and I couldn't wait to see where it was taking us...until I pretty quickly realized that Lynch had no idea. It meandered off and got boring PDQ, if Lynch can be said to be boring. I think sitting down to write a story without the end in sight often necessary, because sometimes the characters have better ideas than you do. --> Letting the characters you create have a say in how your tale twists and turns is one thing, but a TV show must have someplace to go before it starts or everyone just gets lost from the outset. I'm signed on. I have 10 chapters done on a novel I started before my son was born. Maybe I can finish it. :roll: I think about it all the time.Do that!!! :-bd 10 chapters is huge. I have more than 10 novels and not one complete chapter between them.When you publish, I will buy and read your novel. Assuming that I will be able to buy it in ackshul book form. No e-readers me.
Image Image Image Image Image

Addie

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Addie »

Yay, Kate! :-bd I'm signed on. I have 10 chapters done on a novel I started before my son was born. Maybe I can finish it. :roll: I think about it all the time.Very true:I think sitting down to write a story without the end in sight often necessary, because sometimes the characters have better ideas than you do. :D I've read a good number of books about writing over the years and I've tried outlining, but found, for me, it's been a waste. I've never gotten anything out of it. It seems the better I plan, the more tied down I get. However, the most useful writing advice I've ever read has come from a guy named Larry Brooks, who writes and teaches about story structure, something I didn't even know I didn't understand. He is an absolute believer in outlines and can sometimes be an obnoxious pain in the ass about it, but something he came to fairly recently is that writers who don't outline on paper or screen, actually DO outline in their heads, as an ongoing process. This is what happens to me as events, actions and characters determine direction, including shaping the ending.I haven't been to his site, [/break1]com/]Storyfix, in a while and I wish I had, because when I just went there for a link, I see he spent the [/break1]com/nail-your-nanowrmo]month of October doing daily posts on getting ready for NaNoWriMo. I'm going to read these today, belatedly, but I strongly recommend his posts on story structure, too. He also uses movies and TV a lot in examples.

kate520

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by kate520 »

Thanks, Addy. The site looks invaluable and I like his style. --> How many years have you done this before? I'm soooooooooo excited! No, really!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Addie »

I only did it once before. I think it was the second year of NaNoWriMo. I did get a whole novel out of that first draft eventually. I don't know why I haven't done it every year. 50,000 words is a terrific kickoff to a project. My problem is more that I don't have enough confidence in myself, to start with, to get published, but that's going to change damn soon :P Thanks, Addy. The site looks invaluable and I like his style. --> How many years have you done this before? I'm soooooooooo excited! No, really!

listeme

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by listeme »

I find nano very useful, even when I don't meet the goal. November is a ridiculous month for it, imo. Last year, several in my family did a family version in February instead :)Some things I've learned to do in nano that have carried over into my normal writing life have been: 1. Don't stop to try to remember the name of your secondary character's mother-in-law's dog. Put a blank space, an asterisk, whatever, and move on. You can find that crap during the first editing phase.2. Stop for the day in the middle of a scene.3. Don't try to make up for bad days. It will sabotage your whole project.4. Write something deliberately horrid early in the project. It gives you something to laugh at, gives your critique group something to slash, and you know you won't write THAT badly again in the project.5. Read during the project. Read beautiful, complex, exciting work.P.S. Don't start refinishing the deck. It's November. If you're refinishing the deck in November, you're doing it to avoid writing.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

kate520

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by kate520 »

I hope so. :D . (re your confidence level and publishing)This will be an adventure in computing for me, too. I cant lug my laptop around since I've had the iPad but I cant write the whole thing on the iPad. I like the idea about the color coding so you can see the balance of elements and what you might have to switch. Outlines...I'll have to think. W00t!PS. I'll show you mine when we're done if you show me yours. ;;)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

verbalobe

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by verbalobe »

...Vince Gilligan stated that he still doesn't know how Breaking Bad is going to end, and that is IMO the best show currently on television and, quite possibly, ever.That may be true, but he has the advantage of being a stranded on a desert island.

kate520

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by kate520 »

Steven Pressfield has written a couple of books on writing, or creativity generally, which I find inspiring. The first is called The War of Art and it is all about how to avoid re-doing the deck when you should be writing. His others are similar, I like this one best.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by Addie »

I bought an [/break1]neo-direct.com/Dana/default.aspx]AlphaSmart Dana, a used one, for only $60. My birfday present to myself. You know, those little word processors kids use in school? I was hoping it would be here by Tuesday. I actually meant to buy a used [/break1]neo-direct.com/NEO/default.aspx]Neo, but I got confused :-?

PaulG

NaNoWriMo 2011/2012/2013

Post by PaulG »

...Vince Gilligan stated that he still doesn't know how Breaking Bad is going to end, and that is IMO the best show currently on television and, quite possibly, ever.That may be true, but he has the advantage of being a stranded on a desert island.If you're saying the show starts each week with a song explaining how they all got in this mess in the first place, I'm programming the DVR right now! (On the other hand, I watched all of The Wire, I never saw no damn garden! :evil: )

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”