When Corporate Crushes The Little Guy

John Thomas8

When Corporate Crushes The Little Guy

Post by John Thomas8 »

Back in 2016, an individual in position to stand for a cause made a stand. That stand cost him employment since.

An article from The Atlantic by Jemele Hill

Kaepernick became persona non grata in the National Football League after the 2016 season, during which he protested police violence against African Americans by kneeling during the national anthem. The league then spent more than two years trying to make him go away, but seemed to relent by scheduling a workout for him last month in Atlanta. But that proposed session didn’t happen on the NFL’s terms, and Goodell, in his first public comments about the matter, implied yesterday that Kaepernick had blown his last chance.

Judge Roy Bean

Re: When Corporate Crushes The Little Guy

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Kaepernick was more than willing to jump into the opportunity when it vaulted him into the league and professional rewards and limelight.

He and his agents/handlers knew the playing field was purely a business, driven to make millions (billions?) in profits for what amounts to be a media and team ownership empire.

You can't expect the rulers to let one or a handful of knights-errant to jeopardize the kingdom's status.
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Preventing an otherwise qualified individual from providing their skills because you don't like his support of justice is telling, there's a lack of morals that needs to be addressed in kkkorporate america.

The NFL is about winning. Mr Kaepernik took a team to within 10 yards of winning the goal of NFL owners. He was qualified in 2017 and after viewing the video of the last workout last month, I have no doubt he can win and put butts in seats.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

While I am totally with Kaepernik's message, he's gotten an endorsement deal from Nike and is set for life if he is financially responsible at all.

He's done it without getting tackled over and over by giant linemen until his brains are scrambled and he can hardly walk.

He seems a long way from crushed.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

It's the crushing of the message. It's the crushing of the truth. It's the crushing of honesty.

It's the exposure of kkkorporate immorality.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

They are trying to crush his message, but it seems like the Streisand/Devin Cow effect is in place.

If they had just let him kneel and traded him to a shitty team like the Browns, he wouldn't have 1/2 the platform he has now.

I see the corporate evil intent, I just don't see them as being very successful in Kap's case.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

For the sake of the people who love the game, he needs to be allowed to play.

I don't play anymore. Hell, I have two crushed rotator cuffs from playing touch football until I was 40.

I don't watch anymore. OK, in August our employer bought us dinner in a Bonefish Grill in Charlotte, and there was a pre-season game right in front of me on a big screen. I watched that.

But I still love the game. It's a great game. I still say, if you have two guys with absolutely equal athletic ability, the more intelligent one is going to be the better football player. That's what execution is all about.

And Kaepernik is an intelligent, outstanding athlete. The fans deserve to see him play.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Dan1100 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:27 pm
While I am totally with Kaepernik's message, he's gotten an endorsement deal from Nike and is set for life if he is financially responsible at all.

He's done it without getting tackled over and over by giant linemen until his brains are scrambled and he can hardly walk.

He seems a long way from crushed.
And yet, if you took away any opportunity for a musician or artist or writer (or cop or nurse or any other calling) to follow their passion, money would never dampen the desire. Income is very rarely the driving force behind doing something you feel compelled to do, and a big chunk of who you are is lost if you can't follow your dreams because of outside forces.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Professional sports routinely discards people every season. Usually they injure out. Occasionally they don't live up to expectations. Sometimes it's behavioral, or legal issues. Few last long enough to "retire" from their game. Kap is no different. He was chewed on and spit out like thousands of others.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”