Volkonski

Re: Nunes v Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Panch Villlain

Post by Panch Villlain »

Sometimes all you need is the right judge.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Yup. Terrible decision, but sometimes that's how the ball bounces.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Panch Villlain

Post by Panch Villlain »

A ball rarely bounces randomly.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Panch Villlain wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 am
You’ve obviously never watched me play basketball.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 am
Panch Villlain wrote:
Or the Browns play football.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:05 am
Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 am
Panch Villlain wrote:
Or the Browns play football.
:point: :rimshot: :rotflmao:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

So Nunes has the perfect lawyer, a TOTAL ASSHOLE:
KATE IRBY
NOVEMBER 04, 2019 12:45 PM, UPDATED 2 HOURS 15 MINUTES AGO

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA.
A Virginia judge postponed a hearing Monday on California Republican Rep. Devin Nunes’ lawsuit against the McClatchy Company, siding with a defense lawyer affected by the devastating California wildfires.

Judge Cheryl V. Higgins scolded Nunes’ attorney Steven S. Biss for opposing a request last Friday to delay the proceeding because defense attorney Theodore J. Boutrous’ home was heavily damaged by the Getty Fire.

In a handwritten note, Higgins said, “The plaintiff did not file a response until less than 2 hours before the hearing after being contacted by the court.”

California has stricter laws to discourage frivolous lawsuits than does Virginia, and the venue argument was supposed to be heard on Monday. Nunes seeks $150 million in damages.

Read more here: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation ... rylink=cpy

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... ssion=true
A Democratic strategist is refusing to disclose communications that could reveal the identity of anonymous Twitter users who criticize Rep. Devin Nunes, arguing in a new court filing that the accounts are clearly satirical expressions of political speech.

Nunes, R-Tulare, has sued Twitter and anonymous social media users who run accounts known as Devin Nunes’ Cow and Devin Nunes’ Mom. Nunes’ attorney last month issued a subpoena demanding records about them from former Democratic National Committee employee Adam Parkhomenko.

In a new filing to quash the subpoena, Parkhomenko’s attorney argues that the Twitter accounts’ language “does not constitute defamation” and that courts are tasked with protecting anonymous communications in the interest of freedom of speech.

Moar at the link.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

And... Adam is Ukrainian! How long before Jim Hoft figures that out for Devin?
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Does this go here?

Adam Steinbaugh Verified account @adamsteinbaugh
Devin Nunes faces an anti-SLAPP motion in one of his frivolous defamation lawsuits:
12:38 AM - 22 Jan 2020
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Nice.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Interesting. This is an Iowa case in federal court applying the California Anti-SLAPP statute.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I would very much like to see the court grant Hearst's request for attorney's fees when all is said and done. Also financial sanctions on his attorneys would be a very quick and convenient way to find out if Nunes' counsel is (as has been suggested in some forums) essentially representing him pro bono, or that someone else (hi there, Peter Thiel! :wave: ) is picking up the tab. That could very well be a violation of campaign finance and/or laws regarding gifts to public officials.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

I'm presuming, based on the assumption that the lawyers filing the motion are competent, that the 8th Circuit has yet to weigh in on whether anti-SLAPP motions are permissible in federal court. The 9th Circuit (which I think has it right) has held that they are, but there's definitely a circuit split, with the 9th in the minority. The DC Circuit and 5th - and I think there's at least one more, but I can't remember which offhand - have held that anti-SLAPP statutes provide procedural mechanisms only and are therefore inapplicable in federal court.

So as much as I'd love to see a smackdown, this could go either way.

(We need a federal anti-SLAPP statute.)
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 am
I would very much like to see the court grant Hearst's request for attorney's fees when all is said and done. Also financial sanctions on his attorneys would be a very quick and convenient way to find out if Nunes' counsel is (as has been suggested in some forums) essentially representing him pro bono, or that someone else (hi there, Peter Thiel! :wave: ) is picking up the tab. That could very well be a violation of campaign finance and/or laws regarding gifts to public officials.
I'm myself kind of wondering how the hell Rudy Toot Toot working for the President for free, and then selling access to criminal grifters all over the world, is not either bribery or a campaign violation or both. I mean, big time lawyers charge $1,000 an hour, and he must have expenses running all over the world. how is that not a thing of value somewhere?
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Hoodlum 🇺🇸
@HoodlumRIP
·
1h
A sitting Congressman
@DevinNunes
is suing at least 25 Twitter Accounts now. Why is he not under investigation? He should be litigated into bankruptcy.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:32 pm
Hoodlum 🇺🇸
@HoodlumRIP
·
1h
A sitting Congressman
@DevinNunes
is suing at least 25 Twitter Accounts now. Why is he not under investigation? He should be litigated into bankruptcy.
Twenty-five, you say? I need to step up my twitter game.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Please do click on the link to the Sacramento Bee story (also here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/ ... 98653.html)

The article takes a long look at Steven S. Biss, the lawyer who's been filing all of these absurd suits on Nunes's behalf. He was suspended from practicing law in Virginia for a year (which was then extended for a month! when he was revealed to have continued to practice during his suspension). Sadly, it seems Virginia is pretty lax in disciplining lawyers. He and his wife were also evicted from the home they were renting and he failed to pay the attorney's fees in that case.

The Sacramento Bee is a McClatchy paper, and they've been sues by Biss on behalf of Nunes, so they take a deep dive into Biss's background. Too many good things to pull out particular quotes.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Fun fact: Biss doesn't live from from my house in Charlottesville. And "my" local delegate from Cville is a co-sponsor of a vigorous anti-SLAPP statute which, if passed, will put Biss out of business and bankrupt Nunes. I have written my delegate in support.

bob

Post by bob »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:03 pm
And "my" local delegate from Cville is a co-sponsor of a vigorous anti-SLAPP statute which, if passed, will put Biss out of business and bankrupt Nunes.
WaPo: Va. legislature passes bills aimed at lawsuits by Devin Nunes, Johnny Depp:
The Virginia legislature passed bills Tuesday that would make it harder to pursue frivolous lawsuits designed to chill free speech, a response to a string of splashy defamation cases filed in state courts by Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), actor Johnny Depp and others.

Free speech advocates cheered the legislation in the House and Senate, saying the state’s weak anti-defamation law has made Virginia a magnet for dubious litigation aimed at punishing critics and blunting aggressive media coverage on topics of public concern.

Nunes, Depp and other litigants have filed defamation cases seeking nearly $1 billion in damages in courts in Virginia over the past year. Their targets include CNN, the New York Times, Twitter, the actress Amber Heard, the Fresno Bee and a parody Twitter account in the voice of an imaginary cow.

Virginia’s new anti-SLAPP bills would afford defendants stronger protections. Provisions in the House and Senate bills would allow defendants to file a special motion to dismiss a lawsuit after it has been served, if the defendant believes the goal of the lawsuit is to stifle free speech on a topic of civic interest.

The move would pause discovery in cases, which is expensive and time-consuming, and trigger a hearing before a judge. If the defendant prevails on the motion to dismiss, the defendant would automatically be awarded attorneys’ fees under the House bill or could be awarded them in the Senate version.

Del. Schuyler T. VanValkenburg (D-Henrico) said he sponsored the House bill because as a civics teacher, he was concerned about First Amendment rights being thwarted through litigation.

Nunes and his attorney did not respond to requests for comment.

While the bills are broadly similar, they differ on key details. The House and Senate measures will move to the opposite chamber for consideration and the hammering out of any differences before possibly heading to the governor for signing.

Alison Friedman, of the Protect the Protest task force that is backing the bills, said she is guardedly optimistic about passage.

“Substantively, all the parts for a strong anti-SLAPP bill are there, but half are in the House bill and half are in the Senate bill so it’s really going to come down to conference,” Friedman said.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”