Nunes v Twitter

GreatGrey

Nunes v Twitter

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Snowflake....

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Kremlin) has filed a $250 million lawsuit against Twitter for “shadowbanning”.

Imma thinking Twitter has better lawyers than Devin, and their hourly rate is gonna break him when he has to pay their fees.

Not often you see graphics like the one on page 18 in a lawsuit.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

GreatGrey

Re: Nunes v Twitter

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:42 pm

FB5A2D16-28DB-47F6-A20B-ED8230BB1BB4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:47 pm

The inability to get the close parentheses symbols ")" to line up vertically in the heading is not an encouraging sign. (edit: seems that scibd is messing up the format :bag: :oops: )

edit: Only the best.

https://www.progress-index.com/progress ... 92/archive
PETERSBURG - A Petersburg attorney’s license to practice law has been suspended for an additional 30 days because he continued to represent a client while serving a one-year suspension for breach of fiduciary duties and violation of securities laws.

The Virginia State Bar imposed the added suspension last month upon finding that Steven Scott Biss “continued to negotiate with an insurance company on behalf of a client in a personal injury matter” while under a previous suspension.

The regulatory agency last year suspended Biss’ license to practice law for a year and one day starting Jan. 1, 2009, because of his role in a case involving a Chinese company’s attempt to take over a publicly traded Florida firm.

According to the bar’s findings and court records, Biss represented Cyberian Enterprises Ltd. of Hong Kong in its efforts to buy stock in BrandAid Marketing Corp. of Sarasota, Fla., in 2002 and 2003.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Ah. Another case brought on the hurted fee-fees cause of action.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Prediction: Defendants' motion for removal to federal court is filed in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Then Nunes gets a letter basically like this:
Dear Plaintiff,

Welcome to the civil docket for the Richmond Division of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Your suit will be handled in the order it was received. Your current queue position is 903,422. Estimated response time is four to six years. Have a nice day.
Okay, not really. But still. It's an obvious removal case. Also, I'd love to see a Rule 11 motion for sanctions, but I always want that, and I never get it.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:03 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Prediction: Defendants' motion for removal to federal court is filed in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Then Nunes gets a letter basically like this:
Dear Plaintiff,

Welcome to the civil docket for the Richmond Division of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Your suit will be handled in the order it was received. Your current queue position is 903,422. Estimated response time is four to six years. Have a nice day.
Okay, not really. But still. It's an obvious removal case. Also, I'd love to see a Rule 11 motion for sanctions, but I always want that, and I never get it.
Is it? If both Twitter and Nunes have Cali residency for diversity purposes, they might be stuck - not sure what the federal claim would be.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 pm

I feel like Nunes has blown that argument in the jurisdiction section of his complaint, where he goes on about Twitter's "sufficient contacts in Henrico County, Virginia" to establish jurisdiction there in order to file this suit.

But I confess, civil procedure has never been my strong suit. Criminal procedure is so much easier, at least as far as venue and jurisdiction are concerned. You may be correct.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Another shady case brought by Steven Biss.

https://medium.com/@sonicstoic/npr-sued ... c426e29fb9

Something about suing NPR over Seth Rich story.. .

-George Takei

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pm

Speaking of Nunes (and Republican hypocrisy, of course), I'm surprised this article hasn't gotten more publicity:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... alifornia/

Devin Nunes’s Family Farm Is Hiding a Politically Explosive Secret
Other dairy farmers in the area helped me understand why the Nunes family might be so secretive about the farm: Midwestern dairies tend to run on undocumented labor. The northwest-Iowa dairy community is small. Most of the farmers know one another, and most belong to a regional trade group called the Western Iowa Dairy Alliance (though WIDA told me NuStar is not a member). One dairy farmer said that the threat of raids from ICE is so acute that WIDA members have discussed forming a NATO-like pact that would treat a raid on one dairy as a raid on all of them. The other pact members would provide labor to the raided dairy until it got back on its feet.

The farmer explained that all the dairies require their workers to provide evidence of their legal status and pay the required state and federal taxes. But it’s an open secret that the system is built on easily obtained fraudulent documents. “I just look at the document—Hey, this looks like a good driver’s license, permanent resident card, whatever the case is—and that’s what you go with,” the farmer said. A second northwest-Iowa dairy farmer who knows the Nunes family told me, “They show you a Social Security card, we take out Social Security taxes. Where’d they get the card? I have no idea.” I asked what the chances are that a farm the size of NuStar uses only fully legal dairy workers. “It’s next to impossible,” the first dairy farmer said. “There’s no dang way.” This was speculation, but here is the logic that informed it: Most workers start at fourteen or fifteen dollars an hour, the first farmer said. If dairies had to use legal labor, they would likely have to raise that to eighteen or twenty dollars, and many dairies wouldn’t survive. “People are going to go broke,” the farmer said. The story was similar in the poultry, meatpacking, and other agricultural industries in the area.

What this person was describing was hard to wrap my head around. In the heart of Steve King’s district, a place that is more pro-Trump than almost any other patch of America, the economy is powered by workers that King and Trump have threatened to arrest and deport. I checked Anthony Nunes Jr.’s campaign-­donor history. The only federal candidate he has ever donated to, besides his son, is Steve King ($250 in 2012). He also gives to the local Republican party of Osceola County, which, records show, transfers money into King’s congressional campaigns.

The absurdity of this situation—funding and voting for politicians whose core promise is to implement immigration policies that would destroy their livelihoods—has led some of the Republican-­supporting dairymen to rethink their political priorities. “Everyone’s got this feeling that in agriculture, we, the employers, are going to be criminalized,” the first area dairy farmer I had spoken to said. “I’ve talked to Steve King face-to-face, and that guy doesn’t care one iota about us. He does not care. He believes that if you have one undocumented worker on your place, you should probably go to prison and we need to get as many undocumented people out of here as possible.” (A spokesman for King did not respond to multiple interview requests.) The second dairy farmer, speaking of Trump’s and King’s views on undocumented immigrants, added, “They want to send ’em all back to Mexico and have them start over. What a crock of malarkey. Who’s gonna milk the cows?”

tek

Post by tek » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Farms running on undocumented labor?
captain_renault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:08 pm

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Like I said , stuff you don’t normally see in a lawsuit.

Yeah, he hasn’t answered me.

tek

Post by tek » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:17 pm

all this needs to attain perfection is a little Larry Klayman.
There's no way back
from there to here

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:57 pm

So I saw a tweet from one of the defendant, Liz Marr. She might have been joking about a legal defense fund.

That made me think, if I was a lawyer in the San Francisco area I'd take this pro bono, sounds like it could be lotsa fun.

Cuz Devin wants Discovery, to see if the real people behind the parody accounts have Russian or Democratic Party ties. WHY do they always forget Discovery is a 2 way street?

Move the case to SFO District Court, get Discovery, and get orders for Devin's records. Plus being in the 9th would just chap his ass no end, despite the fact he's from California.

Anyway, IANAL.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 pm

The Streisand effect with cow puns:

https://twitter.com/EmmReef/status/1107810808468254720
Suzanna Regos🌊 @suzannaregos

Poor Devin, if it's not one thing it's the udder. ;)

Devin Nunes Mom's Cow @EmmReef
Replying to @suzannaregos @UnabashedMisfit and

He's going to 'milk' this for all it's worth
6:07 PM - 18 Mar 2019

DanTheDirt
‏ @danthedirt
41m41 minutes ago

I don't Devin is going to find all of this a"moo"zing

‏ @UnabashedMisfit

It's udderly deplorable, I tell you

Devin Nunes Mom's Cow
‏ @EmmReef

The lawsuit is probably just to 'steer' us away from other things he's involved in

Happy_Kratos
‏ @Space_Trane
34m34 minutes ago

I bet his mom isn’t very over the moon about all this.

Devin Nunes Mom's Cow
‏ @EmmReef
27m27 minutes ago

Yeah she 'herd' about this and wasn't too happy

Fardels Bear
‏ @BigKiln
26m26 minutes ago

Replying to @EmmReef @DevinCow and

What an udderly unpleasant person.

-George Takei

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 pm

7651D5A8-76BF-4ABF-B266-ADD92DF30DF5.png

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 am

:shock:

I wonder how long Nunes will still find it wise to have filed that law suit :lol:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:33 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 am
:shock:

I wonder how long Nunes will still find it wise to have filed that law suit :lol:
He is obviously whey over his head. :bag:

-George Takei

bob

Post by bob » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 am

P&E: Nunes Sues Twitter; Says Lawsuit “The First of Many”:
CONGRESSMAN PLANS TO PURSUE MEDIA PERPETRATING “FAKE NEWS STORIES”

On Monday night’s edition of “Hannity,” House Intelligence Committee ranking member Devin Nunes (R-CA22) told Sean Hannity that a $250 million lawsuit he filed on Monday against Twitter is “the first of many lawsuits that are coming.”

Nunes is represented by Atty. Steven Biss, who is representing investment adviser Ed Butowsky in a lawsuit against Charles Schwab for allegedly terminating his services without due cause after a 12-year business relationship. Biss is seeking “not less than” $100 million in compensatory damages for his client.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:46 am

The Devster's stock of common sense is long depleted, and it has long been obvious his quota of ethics was never filled, so him doing something sensible, not really in the cards, at least until it starts blowing up in his face, and then he'll cut and run. He is nothing if not a creature of habit.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:13 am

Powerful lot of butthurt in that little literary effort, beyond that I don't know about anything of substance.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:56 am

The number of twitter parody accounts attributed to Nunes' livestock and family is growing by leaps and bounds, as is the number of the followers for the original parody accounts.
ETA: prior to the lawsuit, this account had about 1,200 followers.
ETA: two hours since I posted that, the follower count is now up to 70.9K.
nunes_cow.png
I've heard this bull before.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 am

I would like to propose that the Streisand Effect be renamed the Nunes Effect.

When will people learn that loudly insisting that people not to think of elephants makes everyone immediately think of elephants?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:15 am

Maybe this is the only way he can get attention these days.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:16 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Also, I'd love to see a Rule 11 motion for sanctions, but I always want that, and I never get it.
Some of us IANALs were spoiled early on by watching Orly Taitz get sanctioned sua sponte for Rule 11 violations, which also included the court doubling the fine due to her response to the OSC.

So people don't have to look for the court's order.

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Order_ ... 7s_Recusal

Maybe Nunes could bring in Orly and Charles Edward Lincoln to help his case. That might increase the odds of Rule 11 sanctions.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”