Page 1 of 1

Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:57 pm
by Chilidog
The early season apples are ready.

We took a drive up to a new (to us) orchard, just across the border in Twin Lakes Wisconsin. Got a half peck of "blondies" lightly sweet, firm flesh yellow /gold color

Got some cider and cheese as well.

I love this time of year.

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:23 pm
by tek
Saw some early-season apples at the farmer's market in Ashfield friday..

ms.tek reports that her co-worker (who is also an apple farmer in upstate NY) packed half a suitcase of new crop to bring to their client meeting in Florida tomorrow ;)

Apparently parts of upstate NY took some serious hail damage early in the season, so while the crop is good the value is low for cosmetic reasons..

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:35 pm
by maydijo
We had a small orchard of about 10 apple trees when I was a kid. This time of year I start thinking about canning apples - the way the bees would swarm around as my parents used the cider press - floors sticky from canning what seemed like hundreds of pounds of apples - the feel of the mush left behind in the cheesecloth of the cider press - the smell of the pie apple as it simmered on the stove. Seeing the cans lined up on the kitchen counter - apple cider and pie apple and apples butter - all golden-green and full of yumminess was the cue that Halloween was on its way, and Thanksgiving; followed by long winter nights with a good book in front of a blazing fire. There were snow storms to anticipate, wollen mittens crusted over and left in front of the wood stove, the steam rising as the snow drip-dropped on the hearth.

Here, of course, we are headed into spring, and that season has its own promises. At least winter is behind us. I hate Australian winters.

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:45 pm
by Kendra
I just wish it felt like fall. 90 in September just doesn't happen in Seattle and not for days on end with no rain.

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 pm
by Chilidog
maydijo wrote:We had a small orchard of about 10 apple trees when I was a kid. This time of year I start thinking about canning apples - the way the bees would swarm around as my parents used the cider press - floors sticky from canning what seemed like hundreds of pounds of apples - the feel of the mush left behind in the cheesecloth of the cider press - the smell of the pie apple as it simmered on the stove. Seeing the cans lined up on the kitchen counter - apple cider and pie apple and apples butter - all golden-green and full of yumminess was the cue that Halloween was on its way, and Thanksgiving; followed by long winter nights with a good book in front of a blazing fire. There were snow storms to anticipate, wollen mittens crusted over and left in front of the wood stove, the steam rising as the snow drip-dropped on the hearth.

Here, of course, we are headed into spring, and that season has its own promises. At least winter is behind us. I hate Australian winters.
I love the way you wrote that.
:lovestruck:

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:12 pm
by Azastan
Kendra wrote:I just wish it felt like fall. 90 in September just doesn't happen in Seattle and not for days on end with no rain.
I have no pears, no plums. A few of the apple trees have fruit. Oh, the neighbour's fig tree has fruit! But most of the flowers got destroyed in a later hail/rain storm.

I normally practice rotational grazing in my pastures. I haven't really been able to do that this year because when I moved the horses to the next pasture, there hasn't been rain to encourage the grass to regrow.

I have one pasture left to mow, which I can't do because it's hot and dry enough that a spark from the engine would set the field on fire.

Edit to add: I do have grapes though, and I have been sharing those!

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm
by tek
Azastan wrote:Edit to add: I do have grapes though, and I have been sharing those!
One of our neighbors makes an awesome grape pie from the grapes in their backyard arbor.. dunno if it is the grapes pr the pie that makes for the awesomeness tho..

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 pm
by vic
When I was a kid in New York, my grandmother had a second home on Long Island in Northport. The house was gigantic - two stories, large basement and attic, two wrap-around screened porch... and a ballroom. What I called the garage was probably an old carriage house. It was large enough that our swing set was inside. I was told that it had been used as a hospital during the Civil war.

The best part was that it had a small orchard of a few dozen apple trees and maybe a dozen pear trees in the back. Come fall, we (grandparents, my dad's brother and his family, and our family) would go out and pick apples, which the women would turn into applesauce. Us kids would hike through the orchard and the small field in back which a local farmer rented and planted corn. The ground would be covered with apples which had fallen and started to rot. But it was an amazingly fragrant sort of rot - the essence of apple mixed with a hint of vinegar.

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm
by tek
vic wrote:The ground would be covered with apples which had fallen and started to rot. But it was an amazingly fragrant sort of rot - the essence of apple mixed with a hint of vinegar.
oh yeah.

My grandparents on my father's side had a city lot in Chicopee MA..literally half of which was a garden. When I was a kid we'd run thru the corn, help pick the beans, but the BEST was a carrot right out of the ground.. we'd rinse off the dirt and just munch.. they had a big apple tree in the middle of the yard and it was a treat to pick the apples, rub them off and eat them..
And don't get me started about fresh yellow wax beans.. mmmmmm.. :bighug:

Re: Apple picking time

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:33 pm
by Azastan
vic wrote:When I was a kid in New York, my grandmother had a second home on Long Island in Northport. The house was gigantic - two stories, large basement and attic, two wrap-around screened porch... and a ballroom. What I called the garage was probably an old carriage house. It was large enough that our swing set was inside. I was told that it had been used as a hospital during the Civil war.

The best part was that it had a small orchard of a few dozen apple trees and maybe a dozen pear trees in the back. Come fall, we (grandparents, my dad's brother and his family, and our family) would go out and pick apples, which the women would turn into applesauce. Us kids would hike through the orchard and the small field in back which a local farmer rented and planted corn. The ground would be covered with apples which had fallen and started to rot. But it was an amazingly fragrant sort of rot - the essence of apple mixed with a hint of vinegar.
Mmmm, yes.