Post by qbawl » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Skip Intro wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm
kaep.jpg
He thinks the ACLU is a college?

Maybe he's just dyslexic.
A college that only produces Knee surgeons.

RTH10260

Re: College choices

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Skip Intro wrote:

kaep.jpg
ACL-University :?: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

tek

Post by tek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Someone should tell him it is the "American Christian Law University" .. and watch his brain (if any) short out ;)

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Skip Intro wrote:
kaep.jpg

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:15 am

Speaking of colleges...

Now that I'm getting settled here in Dayton, my mind it starting to turn towards finally finishing school. When I left DFW, I was 3 classes shy of my Associates: Math, Science, and the "Don't be an Asshole" Awareness* class. It all came down to time and money, because all three were campus classes. The Math class I may have been able to pull off online, but I just really need instruction with math. My brain has a hard time processing math past simple arithmetic. I guess I see it wrong, or something.

Anyway, I started looking at local 2 and 4 year colleges, which lead me to looking at some other online colleges. Some I know are pretty much a scam and stay clear of those. But has anyone heard anything about Arizona State's online division? It looks like it's actually ASU, just online. Tuition is about $13k a year. I know ASU generally has a good reputation as a school, but was wondering if anyone has heard anything about their online offerings. They definitely have a larger number of online degree programs, that is for certain.

*I call it that, but it is a class on how not to be a bully, troll, don't harass, belittle others... so don't be an asshole.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Dr. Blue

Post by Dr. Blue » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Jez wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:15 am
Speaking of colleges...

Now that I'm getting settled here in Dayton, my mind it starting to turn towards finally finishing school. When I left DFW, I was 3 classes shy of my Associates: Math, Science, and the "Don't be an Asshole" Awareness* class. It all came down to time and money, because all three were campus classes. The Math class I may have been able to pull off online, but I just really need instruction with math. My brain has a hard time processing math past simple arithmetic. I guess I see it wrong, or something.

Anyway, I started looking at local 2 and 4 year colleges, which lead me to looking at some other online colleges. Some I know are pretty much a scam and stay clear of those. But has anyone heard anything about Arizona State's online division? It looks like it's actually ASU, just online. Tuition is about $13k a year. I know ASU generally has a good reputation as a school, but was wondering if anyone has heard anything about their online offerings. They definitely have a larger number of online degree programs, that is for certain.

*I call it that, but it is a class on how not to be a bully, troll, don't harass, belittle others... so don't be an asshole.
ASU has some of the few respected full-online programs. Just make sure you don't confuse ASU in Phoenix with that other online school that has "Phoenix" in its name.... :-)

Western Governors University also has some respected online programs, if you want to look at another option...

Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:54 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Skip Intro wrote:
kaep.jpg

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE
Dog hates dyslexia!

Jez

Post by Jez » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am

Dr. Blue wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 pm

ASU has some of the few respected full-online programs. Just make sure you don't confuse ASU in Phoenix with that other online school that has "Phoenix" in its name.... :-)

Western Governors University also has some respected online programs, if you want to look at another option...
Thanks Dr. Blue!

I looked at WGU. Tuition is pretty sane, comparatively thinking, but their programs are limited and do not include the writing/communications degree I need.

ASU is about the only school I've found that offers a BS in Technical Communications (i.e., Tech Writing) completely online. Definitely will pass on WGU to a couple of friends looking to go further though.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:16 am

Avoid Taft University. (We know who is the most famous graduate from its Law Skool.)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 29, 2018 8:06 am

In part, to give a home to the recent thread jack of the Mueller thread, and in part to update my bit in this thread I am bumping this up.

It's been a year and I have to say my son is quite happy with his choice of college (well almost. He flirted with the idea of transferring to Loyola when he had difficulty scheduling an Organic Chemistry class for next fall, but that got worked out).

I just drove him back yesterday so that he could do a summer internship / research project catching turtles in the Mississippi.

Feel free to hijack this thread

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 pm

In one of my previous lives, I was sent to a summer camp in the Sierra mountain range, which was owned by two-time Olympic decathlon gold medalist Bob Mathias. If you could catch a turtle in the lake, you got an extra bowl of ice cream for dessert that night. I enjoyed many extra bowls of ice cream that summer. Good luck and good hunting to the Chilipup. :thumbs:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:06 am
In part, to give a home to the recent thread jack of the Mueller thread, and in part to update my bit in this thread I am bumping this up.

It's been a year and I have to say my son is quite happy with his choice of college (well almost. He flirted with the idea of transferring to Loyola when he had difficulty scheduling an Organic Chemistry class for next fall, but that got worked out).

I just drove him back yesterday so that he could do a summer internship / research project catching turtles in the Mississippi.

Feel free to hijack this thread
Is he catching turtles for soup? Beware the Mighty Mississippi. Ol' Man River is strong.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 29, 2018 3:50 pm

They are working in a backwater marsh area not on the main channel, as well as a slough that is on-campus.

The research involves catching western painted turtles to collect and incubate the eggs, or something like that.

He will come out of this with one unique skill.

He will be able to determine the sex of painted turtles.

And a pair of wading boots.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm
Is he catching turtles for soup? Beware the Mighty Mississippi. Ol' Man River is strong.
Are the jaw muscles of a snapper white meat or dark meat?

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 29, 2018 5:59 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm
Are the jaw muscles of a snapper white meat or dark meat?
I don't know. Snappers can get BIG!!!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Are alligator snappers that far north? Speaking of BIG!!!!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:13 pm
Are alligator snappers that far north? Speaking of BIG!!!!
Yes.

but they are very rare.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Jez. Arizona State has a notably strong online program. As everywhere else, some fields may not be as strong as others. Determine the external signs of a good faculty and curriculum and apply those criteria to ASU and others. I do not know what the criteria would be for a technical writing faculty.

There are many charlatans among online schools. Taft is not atypical.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 am

Jez wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 am
Dr. Blue wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks Dr. Blue!

I looked at WGU. Tuition is pretty sane, comparatively thinking, but their programs are limited and do not include the writing/communications degree I need.

ASU is about the only school I've found that offers a BS in Technical Communications (i.e., Tech Writing) completely online. Definitely will pass on WGU to a couple of friends looking to go further though.
Since you mention you're in Dayton, I'd recommend Wright State University, a very good and a very affordable school. If Cincinnati isn't too far for actual classrooms, Cincinnati is a decent school (my Xavier background hurts admitting such, but that has more to do with basketball than academics), and Cincinnati State is another good one. I have no idea if any of these offer the classes you need, but as a hiring type person, honestly, I discount almost any 'online' degrees. While I admit there are some good ones, all things considered I'd choose the person who went and sat in a classroom 9 times out of 10. Right or wrong, its just how I look at it.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:04 pm

This little bugger turned up in one of the nets the other day.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 pm

And a baby softshell

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 pm

I approve this thread!

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 pm
Jez. Arizona State has a notably strong online program. As everywhere else, some fields may not be as strong as others. Determine the external signs of a good faculty and curriculum and apply those criteria to ASU and others. I do not know what the criteria would be for a technical writing faculty.

There are many charlatans among online schools. Taft is not atypical.
Starbucks offers ASU to all employees as a benefit. It's a well planned program with a lot of support for students, or at least more so than many on line universities.
https://www.starbucks.com/careers/college-plan

However, Online Learning: Does It Help Low-Income and Underprepared Students? (Assessment of Evidence Series)
https://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/publicatio ... pared.html

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”