Opioid Addiction and Pain Management

GreatGrey

Re: Opioid Addiction and Pain Management

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:18 pm

I’m so confused.

Trump told Chris Christie to eat the meatloaf.
He told Tillerson to eat the lettuce.

Now KellyAnn wants us to eat ice cream & freedom fries?

How about both of them eat shit?

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:26 pm

That sounds great for them. :daydream:

I couldn’t believe Kelly Ann with a “eat the French fry”

How is she part of the team to help with the opioid crisis? What qualifications could she possible have? She went to college?

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 12, 2018 1:01 pm

The New York Times

@nytimes
California has some of the lowest overall opioid-related death rates in the country, but one coastal town is facing an endless cycle of suffering https://nyti.ms/2KRaYoh

11:50 AM - May 12, 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat May 12, 2018 1:39 pm

The trouble with Eureka is that there really is nothing there. It's beautiful and all, but once you get past that you start to hear the banjo music.

Image Image Image Image Image

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am

Matthew Yglesias has an excellent essay in the May 14 2018 issue of Vox on cruelty as the defining characteristic of Trump’s policies and politics. His specific example is Kelly’s response to questions about separating immigrant children from their parents, but his point is much larger.

“The political theorist Judith Shklar has a famous essay in which she argues that “cruelty is an absolute evil, an offense against God or humanity” that grounds the liberal political tradition in a desire to minimize cruelty.

“Her analysis of what this entails is the antithesis of everything that Donald Trump does and believes in...”

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon May 14, 2018 12:10 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am
Matthew Yglesias has an excellent essay in the May 14 2018 issue of Vox on cruelty as the defining characteristic of Trump’s policies and politics. His specific example is Kelly’s response to questions about separating immigrant children from their parents, but his point is much larger.
In this administration, the White House has become the bully pulpit preaching to the millions of bullies who actually needed no encouragement, and are thrilled that their meanness and desire to do mean things is sanctioned by the very highest political authority in the nation.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon May 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Eighteen months ago Florida voted to legalize medical marijuana. Tally has slow-walked it but finally we may be getting somewhere. Our little suburban town has recently laid out some guidelines for medical marijuana shops and we've been seeing and hearing a lot of ads about "driving baked" is driving under the influence. I'm hoping this means we're making progress.

ImageImageImage x4

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon May 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I am not sure how my post about Trump’s cruelty appeared in this thread, but if I had to make a mistake, this was was curiously appropriate.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 am

I'm not sure if this belong here, but I couldn't see anything more appropriate.

Oklahoma has overwhelmingly voted to approve the use of medical marijuana:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/ ... 3264a91374

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Azastan wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 am
I'm not sure if this belong here, but I couldn't see anything more appropriate.

Oklahoma has overwhelmingly voted to approve the use of medical marijuana:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/ ... 3264a91374
It's appropriate. My brother used medical marijuana last year for pain relief while he was waiting for neck surgery to repair a crushed vertebra. He didn't want to get hooked on oxycodone or related painkillers. His MMJ card expires at the end of July and he's not seeking to renew it because the surgery was very successful. (He's currently digging up my mother's front yard to replace the lawn with rocks.)

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 pm

This is a major, major package of stories from the Palm Beach Post about how Florida's very lax regulation of Oxycontin led to first, people coming from all over the East to get pills and second, heroin addictions radiating outward from Florida when the state finally cracked down on pill mills.

I haven't read through it all (I am getting sidetracked by the links to documents) but it's very good so far.

https://heroin.palmbeachpost.com/

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 am

I've been prescribed some-kind-of-condone for a few days while I wait to pass a kidney stone. I've had Oxy and a variety of 'codones over the years whenever my back goes completely off the rails. They never do much more than make me a little light-headed but they make my wife forget where she is so I can see where people might get addicted. They do work for the pain but I can't drive and most of the work on the house is on hold for a couple of days.

I woke up around 4 am yesterday with what I thought was back pain. The pain continued to get worse through the morning and expanded out into my groin and then I started to vomit. The pain increased to a solid 8 on the Richter Scale. Went to the ER a little after noon and the doc quickly decided I probably had a kidney stone. The staff at the ER were all friendly and efficient and it wasn't long before they injected me with a couple of different painkillers of which I don't remember the names. THAT stuff I could get hooked on. I was off in la-la land in just a few minutes, and then I think I fell asleep for a bit. If you've never had kidney stones I can't recommend them. Ugh.

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:12 am

My real bout with stones was in December, 2015. I just moved to Iowa and was unfamiliar with what healthcare options were available. I thought I was going to die. My friend took me to the ER. She was about to tell me that stones are child's play compared to having a baby. The nurse beat her too it. Her comments was, "I've had 3 kids and a kidney stone. I'll take the pain of having all three kids over again if given the choice between that and the pain of the kidney stone."

They gave me three shots of morphine before it was over, but I couldn't tell that it made any difference.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:49 am

Time did a photoessay on the people in the opioid epidemic. There are quotations but not much in the way of text. It somewhat resembles Agee and Evans’ Let Us Now Praise Famous Men.

Many of the photos are from Boston in the winter. Others are from towns and cities near you. “The Capital of the Opiod Epidsnic, “ Huntington WV, is there.About 20% of that population is addicted.

The overall life expectancy of Americans has declined for two years in a row. The 64,000 people we lose each year partly account for that.

Search for The Opiod Diaries.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:50 am

I got word from Florida yesterday I've been approved for my medical marijuana card. I was prescribed six weeks of opioids after surgery a couple of years ago and it was heaven for my arthritis pain. I never felt goofy, I just didn't hurt. I can see how people get hooked.

I've been using Tylenol during the day and tylenol PM at night until my PCP said that enough of that because it can lead to liver damage. She suggested I apply for MMJ.

I'll let you all know how it works on my arthritis.

ImageImageImage x4

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:05 am

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:01 am
I've been prescribed some-kind-of-condone for a few days while I wait to pass a kidney stone. I've had Oxy and a variety of 'codones over the years whenever my back goes completely off the rails. They never do much more than make me a little light-headed but they make my wife forget where she is so I can see where people might get addicted. They do work for the pain but I can't drive and most of the work on the house is on hold for a couple of days.

I woke up around 4 am yesterday with what I thought was back pain. The pain continued to get worse through the morning and expanded out into my groin and then I started to vomit. The pain increased to a solid 8 on the Richter Scale. Went to the ER a little after noon and the doc quickly decided I probably had a kidney stone. The staff at the ER were all friendly and efficient and it wasn't long before they injected me with a couple of different painkillers of which I don't remember the names. THAT stuff I could get hooked on. I was off in la-la land in just a few minutes, and then I think I fell asleep for a bit. If you've never had kidney stones I can't recommend them. Ugh.
Sorry to hear that Shiz. Welcome to the club. We don't have tattoos or badges, but plenty of advise on how we got through it.

Motrin was my pal when I've had kidney stones. Kept the overall pain down without the problems of opioids. And it's OTC.

Meclizine (aka morning and motion sickness pills) helped tremendously with the nausea. Another OTC. Two under the tongue, and within five minutes you'll have relief.

Avoid car travel for a while. The micro-vibrations of the road turned me into a cat on the ceiling. I could go about ten miles until I couldn't bear it, pull over, rest, and continue on. Took a bit to get to doctor's appointments.

You will be susceptible to bouts of vertigo now. It's the same process. Stones form in your ear thingy, you suddenly can't keep your balance, and nausea overwhelms you. Meclizine definitely helps with that. And you'll know it's vertigo because you can ride in a car without going nuts.

Our couch has fully upholstered arms. Nice big rounded solidly stuffed arms. I did side bends (and body slams) over those to squeeze the kidneys to help pass the stones.

Start tracking your water intact. Every ounce. You want to take in two liters a day. Avoid coffee. Avoid booze. Avoid pop. Diluted fruit juices will become the rule. And stay on top of it afterwards. You'll be absolutely Pentecostal before long. You'll know if new stones are forming if it burns to pee. Increase your water, and try to keep your pee color as far away from school bus paint as possible.

Good luck. Let us know how it's going.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Shizzle Popped wrote:

I go into Stanford Hospital, in about 43 hours (but who is counting) to have the first of several removed. I have two, just under 2 cm each, in the left kidney, and one, about 1.5 cm, in the right kidney. To paraphrase Spock from Star Trek, morphine has been, and will always be, my friend (along with norco).

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:19 pm

woodworker wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote:

I go into Stanford Hospital, in about 43 hours (but who is counting) to have the first of several removed. I have two, just under 2 cm each, in the left kidney, and one, about 1.5 cm, in the right kidney. To paraphrase Spock from Star Trek, morphine has been, and will always be, my friend (along with norco).
centimeters!?!?

Daaaamn.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm

woodworker wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm
Ouch, and good luck. I think I dodged a bullet with mine. The pain went away completely sometime late the second day and the stone is gone. It seems to have broken up on its own and passed. I'm not going to complain. That was the worst I've ever felt in my life and I've had my share of health issues over the last 5 years. I can't imagine living with that kind of pain on a regular basis.

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:45 am

Fentanyl is a deadly way to deal with physical pain. Use other means if you must.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:47 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:45 am
Fentanyl is a deadly way to deal with physical pain. Use other means if you must.
Can you explain, please. ?

Others (in other countries ) see this differently:
The surprising geography of opioid use around the world
https://qz.com/1198965/the-surprising-g ... the-world/

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Opiods kill too many Americans. They have a necessary place in medicine, but the mobs dominate the illegal distribution and attract people to their deaths.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Opioids have a place. The problem is that too many times opioids are prescribed when two weeks of ibuprofen will suffice.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Opiods kill too many Americans. They have a necessary place in medicine, but the mobs dominate the illegal distribution and attract people to their deaths.

I took oxycontin after buckle retina surgery on my right eye and then after sinus surgery. Both times I left some pills not taken. I have enough of an alcohol problem to not want an opioid problem.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna903271
Fixing the opioid crisis requires the two things Congress hates most: Bipartisanship and government spending

As former policymakers committed to finding lasting solutions, we recognize the sometimes unintended consequences of well-intentioned policy. The leading example is the overprescribing practices that began 20 years ago: At that time, physicians — and patients, hospitals, insurers and the rest of the care system — were introduced to the concept of treating pain as a fifth vital sign (in addition to pulse, blood pressure, body temperature, and respiration).

As attitudes about treating pain began to shift, the demand for pain medication within the health care community dramatically increased and the drug supply chain responded. Treating pain quickly became a cornerstone in medical training and education and resulted in new prescribing guidelines. Well-meaning doctors, following the new standards but not aware of the long-term addictive effects of these drugs, prescribed opioid medications in greater doses and for longer periods in order to achieve best care for their patients, as they were trained to do. This “best practice” at the time unfortunately helped catalyze the dreadful epidemic our country now confronts, both by increasing risks to patients and by contributing to a massive increase in supply and, subsequently, opportunities for illegal use of family members’ or acquaintances’ prescriptions.

But, there are other contributors to the opioid epidemic in America, including: Aggressive marketing tactics targeting providers; the rising price of drugs, like naloxone, aimed at countering the effects opioid overdoses; coverage gaps and reimbursement policies that favor opioids over non-opioid and less addictive pain medications; and inadequate care coordination and monitoring that enables patients to “shop” for prescriptions drugs among providers. Underpinning all of this is the cultural misunderstanding of this devastating disease, which creates social stigma and prevents individuals from seeking care. Plus, when people do seek treatment, our thin mental health and substance abuse treatment infrastructure cannot keep pace.

We are all now bearing the cost of our collective and compounded errors and missteps.

Changing best practices and market demand won’t happen overnight. But as we look to the path ahead, we see signs for optimism. The CDC’s 2016 Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain was a major step forward. It calls for prescribers to adopt a holistic approach to pain management, including considering non-pharmacologic solutions like behavioral or physical therapy. It recommends that prescribers consider how to wean patients off of opioid therapies while treating and reducing the harms of opioid abuse.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”