United Airlines - Flying the unfriendly skies

Gregg

Re: United Airlines - Flying the unfriendly skies

Post by Gregg » Thu May 11, 2017 9:29 am

I don't pay for my own airline tickets so I always fly first class, and Delta treats me real good. A year ago I was in a wheelchair for a flight and they likewise bent over backwards to treat me well. I dunno whether I've been lucky, if Delta is better than most (I always fly Delta) or if the combination of being in First Class and not acting like an ass gets me better treatment, but I don't have any complaints about flying.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:02 pm

When I first moved back to CA I worked for 1.5 years on the Dem's reapportionment plan, the first time they used a computer to do it. We entered voting data from the previous three elections into the database, using the Booth computing center at CalTech. It was a monumental undertaking!

After the data was entered, they tested the software they had commissioned to draw the districts on the map plotter (dang, that was cool). I was the liaison with David Roberti's office, the Dem in charge, and I travelled frequently to Sacto for meetings. Delta was the only carrier that flew from Burbansk. I never had trouble getting there, but literally every time I went my return flight was canceled. All the other carriers going to Burbank honored the Delta tickets, so I could usually scrounge a ride on American. I pretty much stopped using Delta for 10 years.

We had a Fogbow meetup in New Orleans a few years ago and Delta was my only choice. When we checked in they asked if we wanted to be bumped and offered two $800 vouchers PLUS seats on the next flight, which happened to be direct and got us there before our original flight would have. Yes, please. While we waited we got to see the woman who holds the Guinness record for the largest boobs. She was parading around with an entourage. :eek2:

They've really stepped up their game, Delta. I've flown them whenever possible since and have not been bumped or otherwise disappointed yet.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:35 pm

on the lighter side :-D
Irish reply to United Airlines
How Irish Airline companies harasses and intimidates it's customers
[liveleak]9207afb8dd4e[/liveleak]

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 am

Lani wrote: I'll skip the taipan encounter other than to say it's a beautiful snake. Also territorial and aggressive. Oh, and deadly.
Off Topic
A few years ago my daughter decided she wanted a snake. "I think I should start with a friendly one, so maybe you could get me a taipan for my birthday." I suggested maybe we start with something that couldn't kill her. BTW, the grandma jumping in and socking the crocodile in the eye - How Aussie-as is that story? Don't you miss it here? I bet you never see that sort of thing in Hawaii!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:18 pm

other troubles
Passenger says JetBlue booted his family from flight over a birthday cake
By Amy B Wang May 14 at 12:30 PM

An airport worker leads JetBlue planes onto the tarmac of John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York on Dec. 11, 2013. (Lucas Jackson/Reuters)
A family en route to a birthday celebration in Las Vegas this month said they were booted from a JetBlue flight over where to store a cake they had brought on board — even after, they said, they complied with instructions to move the cake to the floor.

The airline confirmed the incident occurred May 3 aboard JetBlue Flight 611 before takeoff from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. However, it is disputing the passengers’ account, saying their removal was justified because their “behavior demonstrated a risk for additional escalation in air.”

The incident was not widely reported until Saturday, after video the family took was published.
Events are spread out over the article, better read thru it https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... hday-cake/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:18 pm

JetBlue Never Overbooks, But It's The King Of Involuntarily Bumping People
The airline takes pride in its policy of never overbooking flights, but it leads the industry in bumping people from flights without their consent.

Posted on May 16, 2017, at 10:41 p.m.
Matthew Zeitlin

JetBlue wants you to know that it's the Nice Guy of the airline industry. Not only will it not have goons drag your beaten and bloody body off a plane, it won't even deliberately overbook flights in the first place.

“We are committed to our policy of not overselling flights,” JetBlue chief executive Robin Hayes told analysts in April. "We don't oversell our flights."

But when it comes to bumping people from flights without their consent, JetBlue is currently the leader of the pack, according to Department of Transportation data.

In the first three months of this year, 1,415 JetBlue passengers were, in the parlance of the Department, "involuntarily denied boarding." That comes out to 1.61 involuntary denials per 10,000 passengers — a rate higher than any other US airline, according to the data.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewzeitlin ... e-from-its

wavey davey

Post by wavey davey » Tue May 16, 2017 7:04 pm

RTH10260 wrote:on the lighter side :-D
That's funny!

I sometimes fly with an accordion, and I do *not* check it in as baggage. I have never been asked to play it while on the plane, but I might play it at the gate area while waiting.

This was from last Saturday at the Gator By The Bay festival in San Diego. No air travel on this one. It was ~400 miles by beat up old mini-van

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Zydeco Mud Bugs?

Mohammed Ali

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm

:fingerwag: C'mon Wavey Davey. A photo won't do. We want a video with sound!

wavey davey

Post by wavey davey » Tue May 16, 2017 9:50 pm

kate520 wrote:Zydeco Mud Bugs?
Yes, ma'am.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:55 pm

I need to get out to see you guys play sometime. :dance:

Mohammed Ali

Somerset
Occupation: I take apart ICs, touchscreens & camera modules and figure out why they don't work.

Post by Somerset » Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 am

wavey davey wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:on the lighter side :-D
That's funny!

I sometimes fly with an accordion, and I do *not* check it in as baggage. I have never been asked to play it while on the plane, but I might play it at the gate area while waiting.

This was from last Saturday at the Gator By The Bay festival in San Diego. No air travel on this one. It was ~400 miles by beat up old mini-van

I had no idea Roland makes accordions. I've owned a Roland keyboard or three ;)

tek

Post by tek » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 am

Off Topic
My fave accordionist used to shill for Roland..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J075BxrlZG0
Music starts at about 4:00

I've seen him live many times as part of the Django Reinhardt All-stars, amazing performer and decent guy..
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed May 17, 2017 7:28 am

I'm sitting at RSW in Ft. Myers, FL, about to board UA flight something or other to Newark.

Last night UA sent me an email asking me if I was willing to change my flight because of overbooking. I was, but they only offered me $250 bucks (and no free tickets or upgrades), so I declined.

Got me thinking of what my price was, though. Decided I'd start to get interested at about $500. I'm not sure, but I think this makes me a cheap date.

See ya'll on the other side -- assuming Comcast really did turn on my Internet. And assuming that the cable didn't get dug up and sliced by the town snow plows again this winter.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed May 17, 2017 10:46 am

My husband was on a United airlines flight yesterday. He told me that the woman in the seat next to him kept putting her purse in the aisle and gave the flight attendants a lot of crap when they told her that she had to keep it under her seat. Then she kept getting up when the fasten seatbelt light was on. He said it was obvious that the flight attendants were being super, super nice to her, while she was just giving them a lot of verbal abuse. And they just smiled and took it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 18, 2017 2:56 pm

I saw this article today. Army reservist was traveling home and his military duffel was over the 70lb-per-bag weight limit (the article doesn't say how much the bag weighed), so he'd have to pay a $200 fee. United told him he could get a second bag and transfer some of the contents and they wouldn't charge him for either bag. He declined to do that, then he complained to the press. He said,
There was no empathy to the situation. I'm not looking for sympathy, but some form of empathy in the situation. There was none of that. It was just cold. I had to either pay or leave the bag.
United then issued a statement:
We are disappointed anytime a customer has an experience that doesn't meet their expectations, and our customer care team is reaching out to this customer to issue a refund for his oversized bag as a gesture of goodwill.
I'm actually with the airline on this one. I know it doesn't directly cost the airline any more to move a heavier bag, but there is some increased risk of injury to its baggage handlers, and a potential indirect cost to the airline in lost time when its workers are injured. I have no problem with them passing that cost to the customer in the form of a fee for an overweight bag.

And this guy is so full of shit when he says he had to "either pay or leave the bag." He was deployed to Afghanistan but the trip was between El Paso and Austin. I have a hard time believing that he couldn't find another bag in or near the El Paso airport.

I'm a little disappointed that the airline offered to refund the money, even as a "gesture of goodwill." They didn't do anything wrong.

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm

I feel that the intense media coverage of the original debacle prompted some people to jump on the bandwagon and try to get some preferential treatment by airing their grievances to the media. And the media plays into this to some degree because they don't want to miss the next big story. These minor annoyances happen all of the time when traveling on an airplane, but they generally haven't been treated as news. But since the Dr. Dao incident, the bar seems to be a lot lower for reporting them.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:50 pm

I see Untied is back in the news for an employee having assaulted a 71 year old grandfather and knocking him unconscious.
Daily Mail
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:35 pm

jmj wrote:And the media plays into this to some degree ...
You think? :P

Media and commentary of all stripes could do a much fuller job if they would (a) get out of the studio and (b) spend a little time working on a story before going to press.

Gossipy chat from the President's senior aide of the day is not news and doesn't help me get through my day.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm

jmj wrote:I feel that the intense media coverage of the original debacle prompted some people to jump on the bandwagon and try to get some preferential treatment by airing their grievances to the media. And the media plays into this to some degree because they don't want to miss the next big story. These minor annoyances happen all of the time when traveling on an airplane, but they generally haven't been treated as news. But since the Dr. Dao incident, the bar seems to be a lot lower for reporting them.
The airlines' treatment of passengers has been horrendous in some cases but passengers are can also be just as bad. Either by neglect of others or outright assholery, they make the experience just as bad. Some passengers do things because they do not want to be inconvenienced but do not consider or care how it inconveniences the other passengers (I am more thinking of carry-on hogs and other things, not denied boarding issues). To those who are trying to "stick it to the airline," also consider that you may be sticking it to your fellow passengers as well.
North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:I see Untied is back in the news for an employee having assaulted a 71 year old grandfather and knocking him unconscious.
Daily Mail
Interestingly, the articles don't mention that this 71 year old grandfather is also a lawyer. I've crossed paths with him a few times and he was a dick even when he was younger. I stopped counting how many times he jumped law firms. I'm not saying that the United Airlines employee was in any way justified, but Tigner has always had the ability to make people want to punch him in the face. Just sayin'...
I love the poorly educated!!!

I never repeat myself. I never repeat myself. Trump 2/25/16

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:38 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:I see Untied is back in the news for an employee having assaulted a 71 year old grandfather and knocking him unconscious.
Daily Mail
Interestingly, the articles don't mention that this 71 year old grandfather is also a lawyer. I've crossed paths with him a few times and he was a dick even when he was younger. I stopped counting how many times he jumped law firms. I'm not saying that the United Airlines employee was in any way justified, but Tigner has always had the ability to make people want to punch him in the face. Just sayin'...
That's as may be, but an employee actually striking a customer short of being physically abused or attacked is asking for all kinds of repercussions, and particularly when the "victim" is a 71 year old lawyer. If he was being abusive or out of line, they should have called security, they do it all the time.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:32 am

The guy left him unconscious on the floor and walked away. Other employees ignored the man until a passerby came to his aid and lied to 911 about what happened. There is no excuse for that.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:42 am

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/mom-fea ... passenger/
United Airlines has formally apologized to a Hawaii middle school teacher after it forced her to hold her 27-month-old son on her lap for over three hours because it had given away his seat to a standby passenger.

Hawaii News Now reports that Shirley Yamauchi last month had just boarded a flight from Houston to Boston to attend a teachers’ conference when a standby passenger arrived behind her and informed her that he had been given the seat that was supposed to go to her 2-year-old son.

Yamamuchi tried in vain to get the flight attendant to help her resolve this problem, but the attendant told her the flight was full and simply walked away — thus forcing her to hold her young son in her lap for the duration of the flight.

“I had to move my son onto my lap,” she said. “He’s 25 pounds. He’s half my height. I was very uncomfortable. My hand, my left arm was smashed up against the wall. I lost feeling in my legs and left arm.”

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:44 am

They just don't seem to learn.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”