Flying the unfriendly skies

Sam the Centipede

Re: Flying the unfriendly skies

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 am

As RTH sez, the EU rules effectively say that if an airline messes up, it's their responsibility to sort things out. And that really concentrates their minds.

I don't envy an airline having to solve hundreds of individual problems. But that's much better than hundreds of individuals each trying to solve one problem, with little knowledge and few resources.

Whenever I go to a European airport now, I always notice that very few departures on the board show extended delays (beyond say 15, 20 minutes) whereas twenty years ago the departure boards showed a heavy splatter of drlays and cancellations.

Of course, some of that is simply more reliable equipment. But even that includes airlines focusing better on effective maintenance to keep their fleet maximally operational.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am

Airlines Cancel Thousands More Boeing 737 Max Flights

https://www.courthousenews.com/american ... x-flights/
American Airlines said Sunday that it will keep the Boeing 737 Max plane off its schedule until Nov. 3 — two months longer than it had planned.

American said the action will result in cancellation of about 115 flights per day. It said it “remains confident” that the Boeing plane will be recertified this year. But some airline executives are growing doubtful about that timetable.

United Airlines said Friday that it was extending its cancellations until Nov. 3, a month longer than it had planned.

United has 14 Max jets while American has 24 of them. Southwest Airlines, which has 34 Max jets — more than any other carrier — is canceling about 150 flights per day.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm

An airline industry observers I follow believes Boeing will not release the 737MAX back into service as long just a single national ariline supervision authority worldwide balks at the idea. Even if FAA and ist European counterpart have approved the solution and most authorities follow these as recommendation. Even then the planes will not take to the iar immediatly, that's the time the retrofit starts everywhere as soon parts get available. Each plane will then need its very own recertification.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:48 am

BA strike: holiday disruption looms after airline fails to halt action
Graeme Paton, Transport Correspondent
July 31 2019, 12:00pm, The Times

BA’s pilots could refuse to fly from August 15

British Airways passengers are facing travel chaos at the height of the summer holidays after a legal bid to halt a hugely damaging pilots’ strike was rejected.

The Court of Appeal today threw out BA’s application for an injunction intended to block a proposed walkout.

Three senior judges ruled that the strike by members of British Airline Pilots’ Association (Balpa) could go ahead after confirming that its ballot for action was legally sound.

It means that the walkout by as many as 4,000 BA pilots could go ahead in a little over two weeks.

Balpa said that it would not announce the date of any strike today although it only has to give a fortnight’s formal notice of industrial action.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -f6j3ngs5q

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Two airline horror stories from friends this week.

My friend spent 8 days in Paris for her 40th anniversary with no luggage. Delta offered her $100 reimbursement after she got home. Her husband was the physician for the tour and had all the meds in his luggage. Which arrived at 3:00 on the day they were flying home at 5:50, so the airline says they don't owe her anything because the luggage caught up to her before they came home.

My other friend was delayed in Dallas for hours until the flight was eventually cancelled, too late to catch another flight with an open seat to New York to take her bar exam. She tweeted to American and their response was to "plan better." Not sure how far in advance they consider "better" since she was originally scheduled to arrive in NY at noon on the day prior to the bar exam. 6 months of study and whatever it cost down the drain, and now her employment is up in the air until she takes the bar. They've already signed a lease in NY and sold their house in MS.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:42 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:56 pm
Two airline horror stories from friends this week.

My friend spent 8 days in Paris for her 40th anniversary with no luggage. Delta offered her $100 reimbursement after she got home. Her husband was the physician for the tour and had all the meds in his luggage. Which arrived at 3:00 on the day they were flying home at 5:50, so the airline says they don't owe her anything because the luggage caught up to her before they came home.

My other friend was delayed in Dallas for hours until the flight was eventually cancelled, too late to catch another flight with an open seat to New York to take her bar exam. She tweeted to American and their response was to "plan better." Not sure how far in advance they consider "better" since she was originally scheduled to arrive in NY at noon on the day prior to the bar exam. 6 months of study and whatever it cost down the drain, and now her employment is up in the air until she takes the bar. They've already signed a lease in NY and sold their house in MS.
I'd plan to be in New York 3 days before the Bar exam. I often have to be in court in downtown L.A. at 8:30 a.m. I live 31 miles away. I leave at 6 a.m. In 47 years I've been late to court once. It was a probate hearing to confirm a settlement. I left at 6 a.m. and got into the courtroom at 8:40. The judge, coming in from Pomona, hadn't arrived yet.

So, I'm sorry to say it, but "plan better" is correct for something like the Bar exam.

And the last time I looked at the DOT regulations, they required airlines to pay not only for lost luggage, but also for delayed luggage.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 pm

WTF? Is this an epidemic of some sort? I haven’t flown much in the last few years, but I don’t remember horrors like these. The Dallas story is particularly egregious.

Many years ago I flew twice a week to Sacto for a day. Delta would regularly cancel return flights at the last minute if they weren’t full but AA always accommodated us last minute. In 20 trips I never had to stay over.

Overbooking is one thing. Canceling a flight with no explanation? That’s planely wrong. :mrgreen:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:49 pm

At the Islip Airport waiting to pick up our younger daughter's in laws. They are at the BWI airport. They sat on the plane for an hour and then were returned to the gate. Now saying they might not takeoff for another hour. Some sort of weather problem. :?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:46 pm

They now expect to board at 4 PM. Islip is not a very interesting airport. :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:05 pm

Flight now shown arriving at 4:40 PM

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 am

I just spent 4 hours on a plane with an interesting bit of "unfriendliness," or more aptly, unneighborliness, which was not the fault of the airline. Apparently, one of the passengers next to me or in front of me had a bad gas problem. Every 5-10 minutes, a horrible smell wafted into my airspace. :sick:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 am

That's what happens when you allow Earthlings to eat food. :sick:
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 am

SLQ wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 am
I just spent 4 hours on a plane with an interesting bit of "unfriendliness," or more aptly, unneighborliness, which was not the fault of the airline. Apparently, one of the passengers next to me or in front of me had a bad gas problem. Every 5-10 minutes, a horrible smell wafted into my airspace. :sick:
I flew on a four hour flight out of the Balkans about ten years ago seated next to a very wide Bulgarian man (big enough to overflow his seat and squeeze mine) with rank, throat-tightening, nose-wrenching, body odour. I would say he had a BO problem, but it was more my problem than his. Personally, I consider the chronic stench worse than the intermittent farts, but neither is good.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:43 am

British Airways cancels over 100 flights after computer systems fail
By Michael Scaturro, CNN Business
Updated 1140 GMT (1940 HKT) August 7, 2019

London (CNN Business)British Airways canceled more than 100 flights Wednesday after the airline's computer systems crashed.

The cancellations hit thousands of travelers using London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports. Another 300 flights faced delays of up to an hour, according to the airline's website.

British Airways, which is owned by International Airlines Group (ICAGY), said its check-in and flight start systems suffered a partial crash, and that it was using "backup manual systems to keep our flights operating."

A spokesperson for the airline said it would allow customers on canceled flights to rebook for between August 8 and August 13.
British Airways did not say what caused the computer outage.

The delays hit Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport, hardest. Flights into Heathrow from Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Nashville, and Miami all faced long delays Wednesday.

It's not the first time the airline has suffered a computer crash in London.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/07/busi ... index.html

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 pm

NBC News @NBCNews
Man says SkyWest Airlines flight crew refused to allow his brother with autism to sit near a family member and walked off the plane, forcing all 75 passengers to deplane and take a later flight.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ai ... e-n1043996

:explode:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm

neonzx wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 pm
NBC News @NBCNews
Man says SkyWest Airlines flight crew refused to allow his brother with autism to sit near a family member and walked off the plane, forcing all 75 passengers to deplane and take a later flight.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ai ... e-n1043996

:explode:
The headline now on that article:
Airline crew allegedly refused to accommodate traveler with autism. Now, they've been grounded.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm

ScumWest carries the Deltas logo but is a separate company. The flight attendant needs to be fired. Or maybe hired by the Trump Administration.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm
ScumWest carries the Deltas logo but is a separate company. The flight attendant needs to be fired. Or maybe hired by the Trump Administration.
She'd be a great border patrol agent!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:17 pm

In the comments someone mentioned the seat was by the exit. I’d like to hear some more versions of the story.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm
Trump Airlines still has open positions :liar:

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:17 pm
In the comments someone mentioned the seat was by the exit. I’d like to hear some more versions of the story.
I saw that comment, but it was someone suggesting that the seat was (maybe) in an exit row is how I read it... As a possible defense of the flight crew.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:27 pm

neonzx wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:17 pm
I saw that comment, but it was someone suggesting that the seat was (maybe) in an exit row is how I read it... As a possible defense of the flight crew.
I was in transit so missed that. I tend to take social media outrage stories with a grain.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 pm

:confused: yeahhh… it's one of those stories which makes one wonder if a participant's telling has omitted or obfuscated some important points. Why would a flight attendant notice that some passengers are sitting in the "wrong" seats? Why would she care? Why would a flight deck crew support her rather than defuse the situation so they could get in the air and finish their shift on time?

Traveling with fragile people is always difficult though, and cooperation (or the lack thereof) from staff makes a huge difference.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 pm
:confused: yeahhh… it's one of those stories which makes one wonder if a participant's telling has omitted or obfuscated some important points. Why would a flight attendant notice that some passengers are sitting in the "wrong" seats? Why would she care? Why would a flight deck crew support her rather than defuse the situation so they could get in the air and finish their shift on time?

Traveling with fragile people is always difficult though, and cooperation (or the lack thereof) from staff makes a huge difference.
The story I read is that the 4 family members were all assigned different seats, none together (due to a customs computer outage that was going on at the time). When they boarded, one family member asked her seatmate to switch with the autistic son so he could sit by her. This is when the flight attendant became involved and said they could not switch seats. As to why she would care or why the flight deck crew supported her, I don't know. Perhaps she didn't tell them the truth.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 pm

If the fact that the autistic family member was sitting in a emergency exit row, then I understand why the FA had issues as well as the flight crew. I've worked in aviation maintenance for over 6 1/2 years, and one thing about over wing exits is that people who sit there must A] be able to open the hatch with weights 60 LBS, B] Keep calm during the evacuation, and C] Direct others to the exit. As described by his family member he would not be able to do a few of these, yet that does not forgive the FC for this charlie fox. They should have accommodated the family, after all it is done for service animals. As for the flight crew, even though SkyWest is not part of Delta, they do answer to them, and one of the big thing that Delta usually prides itself on is customer service [well better that the others of the big three, airlines are airlines], so most likely they'll be gone. Plus the aviation community [pilots, FA, mechs, ect.] is a small one, so their rep will follow them around the industry.
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”