Grammys 2019

MsDaisy

Grammys 2019

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:42 pm

I don't have cable TV and I've never watched the Grammys as far as I can remember, I can't even name one name of the people who were photoed on the Red Carpet, but I do like to see who has the craziest outfit. Now, Bill Gates himself doesn't have enough money to pay me to put on any of the garments I saw people wearing, and I have to say IMHO this is the most interesting crazy outfit I saw, though goD knows how she sits down or pees in that thing..

Most interesting.jpg
And these two tied for the MsDaisy "Da Fug is that supposed to be" award :shock: ....

DF2.jpg
DF4.jpg
https://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2019/ ... ule=inline
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Birfers are toast

Dolly

Re: Grammys 2019

Post by Dolly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 am

FOX8
7 hrs ·
Singer Joy Villa wears a "Build the Wall" dress on the red carpet during the Grammys.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:43 am

There are four photos in the post. I hope you can see them without me copy/pasting each one. Let me know if there is a problem.

Fox News
7 hrs ·
Joy Villa made her annual MAGA statement on the 2019 Grammys red carpet, and this time the singer had some company: Ricky Rebel.

Villa dressed as a border wall, with a red "Make America Great Again" purse, while Ricky Rebel sported a blue jacket that read "Keep America Great." https://fxn.ws/2ULnSYW

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 am

I don't know who a lot of these performers are.
I didn't watch or follow the Grammys (or any other award shows. We don't have television.)
Fox News
6 hrs ·
Alicia Keys brought several surprise guests on stage to help her kick off the 2019 Grammy Awards, including former first lady Michelle Obama.
► Show Spoiler
Grammy Awards: Kacey Musgraves wins album of the year as Dolly Parton, Michelle Obama have big moments

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/g ... xQ_Sfx8Xz8

eta another photo from the second link

and a tweet with video
CBS ✔
@CBS
It's already a night to remember at the #GRAMMYs. 👏 @MichelleObama has arrived!

5:27 PM - Feb 10, 2019

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:17 am

Brandi Carlile killed it.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 am

Dolly wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 am
FOX8
7 hrs ·
Singer Joy Villa wears a "Build the Wall" dress on the red carpet during the Grammys.

:shock: Complete with a constantine wire necklace and spikes on her head! :swoon:

Birfers are toast

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 pm

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Some guy on twitter did a post about Belinda Carlisle and "walkin on sunshine", and then laughed at all the young uns that tried to tell him he had mispelled Brandi Carlile.

Otherwise ny interest in this shite could be measured by the Hadron Collider... maybe.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 am

This isn't my generation, nor my generation's music, so there's no point for me to watch. The music doesn't interest me, but that's okay. I had mine, this is the new young generation's turn to make their music and their choices.

Still, I can't help feeling that in another half-century, the music of the 40s-70s will still be respected and some of it will still be familiar. I think much less of the music from the 80s and 90s will stand the test of time, and as for the 2000s - forget it.

The use of autotune, and overcompression destroying its dynamic range renders it unlistenable after awhile. I have always found it ridiculous that this generation adopted vinyl as some sort of premier audio when the reality is that vinyl is an inferior medium to decently processed digital. Vinyl has inherent limitations on dynamic range,which is why compression became a standard tool, though it was never abused as it has been for the last fifteen years or so, as headphones and bluetooth (single) speakers became the common way to listen to music. Master music with great dynamic range, better than can be cut on vinyl, use a high sampling rate, and listen to it in all its glory without ticks, pops, and skips.

It's not vinyl vs digital. It's performed with soul (which might include (horrors) a mistake or two, properly produced and mastered, vs over-produced, over-corrected and over-compressed to the point where it has no soul, no reality, and hurts the ears with its constant blare.

The sixties generation embraced stereo, and the seventies were all about how good your stereo setup was, but nowadays people are fine with listening on cheap earphones or little portable single-speakers. I don't think the current generation spends much time just sitting and listening to a song. If they did, they'd demand much more from their performers and from their hardware.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am

The only thing I was following (not actually watching) was the result of classical type stuff, especially the choral music recordings. As it turned out, my least favorite of the nominees, the Zealot Canticles, won. It was well performed but not a style I am fond of, though I probably would have liked it more during my college days.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:51 pm

I just look at the clothing worn on the red carpet. The Grammys always have unique (pronounced you-nee-cue) outfits. I finally figured out the black and pink outfit Ms. Daisy mentioned is a clam- the performer is the pearl (note her pearl headdress). Perhaps she has a longjohn flap in the for bodily functions access. :-D

“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”