Eclipse

Mikedunford

Re: Eclipse

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:52 pm

I've got a feeling he's the kid who kept going back for another helping of the electrical outlet. And the gold-colored lead paint chips.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

vic wrote:Well, it's scientists who say that you shouldn't look at the sun without eye protection, but it's FOX which says that scientists = fake news.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

looking at Oregon's Trip Check map, it looks like the roads are getting nasty. Meanwhile, I'm also looking at WADOT's cameras off and on today and traffic has been unusually light, even in the always congested at 8AM areas. Looking forward to a quick commute, especially since I'll be going in the opposite direction of any returnees from Oregon.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Mikedunford wrote:Did that jackass seriously go out on the balcony and stare at the sun???
Apparently.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:05 pm

it was too cloudy in Chicago to see anything much but we had a few moments with a clear view of the sun. Enough so you could see there were definitely chunks taken out. Strangely, even with 99% totality and only a ridiculously thin sliver of sun it never really got dark. It got dim and damp but not really dark.

rpenner

Post by rpenner » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:Did that jackass seriously go out on the balcony and stare at the sun???
Apparently.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 586225001/

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-wa ... tos-2017-8

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/21/donald-trum ... e-eclipse/

Looks like a full second of squinting before he put glasses on:
And then other glances of up to a half second afterwards:

Maybe they never taught him at college that the Sun was bright? Too busy learning bone spurs.

AuBricker

Post by AuBricker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm

PaulG wrote:it was too cloudy in Chicago to see anything much but we had a few moments with a clear view of the sun. Enough so you could see there were definitely chunks taken out. Strangely, even with 99% totality and only a ridiculously thin sliver of sun it never really got dark. It got dim and damp but not really dark.
I too live in Chicago. I stepped out to witness the eclipse, and, to be honest, I had expected more.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRZZC-DH7M[/bbvideo]

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:17 pm

p0rtia wrote:!!! Unbelievable! Pix to follow from Idaho Falls!
Hey, I have an internet friend in Idaho Falls! She's a zookeeper.

(Apologies if we already had this conversation. I'm old.)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 pm

It rained so heavily that I couldn't get a glimpse of the sun. Oh well. Wait for 2045 or something.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Phil Waters, a former co-worker and professional photographer, captured these images at Roper Mountain Science Center in Greenville, SC

It's facebook, so I don't know if everyone can see it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:50 pm

From corona to wedding ring.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Mars, please attack us now

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Funniest sight right now - Go to Google Maps on your computer or tablet and turn on traffic. Then zoom out. You will see heavy traffic along the path of totality across the whole U.S. From Salem, Oregon you will see clogged roads north to Portland and south to Eugene. I could see the slow going north out of Denver early this morning. Now all the traffic is moving south back to Denver. Etc across the whole U.S.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:41 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:Funniest sight right now - Go to Google Maps on your computer or tablet and turn on traffic. Then zoom out. You will see heavy traffic along the path of totality across the whole U.S. From Salem, Oregon you will see clogged roads north to Portland and south to Eugene. I could see the slow going north out of Denver early this morning. Now all the traffic is moving south back to Denver. Etc across the whole U.S.
Thanks for schadenfreude . Big blob of people heading out of St. Louis obviously on their way back to Chicago on I-55. :twisted:

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:00 pm

ZekeB wrote:It rained so heavily that I couldn't get a glimpse of the sun. Oh well. Wait for 2045 or something.
There's one in Patagonia in 2020...

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:13 pm

Next one in the US - 2024. I get to see that one from home. :)

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Lani wrote:Next one in the US - 2024. I get to see that one from home. :)
Me too! Looks like it's going right over the top of our house.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 pm

We only had 80% totality here in Dallas, but it was still one of those phenomena you have to at least say you participated in at some level.

The most amazing physical attribute of the eclipse was the change in light quality during our maximum totality. It wasn't a crepuscular or cloudy kind of darkness - it had its own nature. (I was reminded of William Faulkner's description of coming up with the title Light in August.)

The most amazing nerd attribute of the eclipse is that we knew exactly when it would be and where it would be and what people would see based on their geography. I know we've been able to do that for a while now, but still - evolution gifted us with some pretty freaky brain power.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:58 pm

So we drove about twenty miles south of the house, well into the zone of totality and enjoyed an amazing sight. As the eclipse progressed the light faded and temperatures dropped. At the point of totality it went dark and you could see the stars. Just about the most stunning thing I have ever seen. Makes one appreciate just how incredible this universe is and just how special we are to exist in it.

After the main event, we popped open a couple of Coronas and toasted the return of the sun.

Going home wasn't quite the ApocEclipse we expected. While traffic was slow going, it wasn't gridlock. I understand the I-5 corridor around Salem was much worse however.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:10 pm

PaulG wrote:There's one in Patagonia in 2020...
Doesn't it rain a lot in Patagonia, girl?

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Don't laugh, but I glanced three or four times through black but not by any means opaque shades, like you might do accidentally when you get into your westward-facing car at sunset before you flip the thing down. Very quick, oblique glances. I hear you laughing.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Nice time lapse of Jackson Hole & Jackson Wyoming. Heck, I can see my old apartment. :-D

Look right under the words Jackson Hole as things go dark & you'll see a jet flying by.
Chemtrail Corps, not even eclipses stop us.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 pm

It was a semi-cloudy day here and had rained earlier, but the sun came out during the time of the eclipse. We were at 81 percent, but it never got very dark, although the quality of light changed and the birds got quiet. I took photos of very sharp shadows and the curved shadows during the height of the eclipse from the tree leaves. We didn't have glasses.

I am going to be ready for the next one, April 8, 2024. We will be at 96+ percent here and will only be a two-hour drive from totality, so I think I will prepare better for that one.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:35 pm

I watched the eclipse on the teevee machine from the comfort of my recliner at the dialysis clinic. It was overcast outside anyway.

Image Image Image Image Image

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:59 am

Many of the photos showed Barron looking down; others showed him wearing eclipse glasses. Barron may have the good sense to protect his own eyes, as his parents seemed to pay no attention to him. Child endangerment?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:11 am

I was already excited about a total eclipse in Hawaii in 7 years when I searched for more information tonight. Then I found out it's a partial eclipse. The next total will be in 2106. :brokenheart: :crying: :crying: :crying: There is no comparison berween a total and a partial eclipse.

I don't think I'll be around in 2106. :confused:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “Science & Technology”