Science, General Stuff

Volkonski

Science, General Stuff

Post by Volkonski » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 am

Discoverers of Higgs boson, a.k.a. "the God particle," awarded Nobel Prize in physics[/break1]cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57606461/discoverers-of-higgs-boson-a.k.a--the-god-particle-awarded-nobel-prize-in-physics/]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-576 ... n-physics/It's about time. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Somerset

Science, General Stuff

Post by Somerset » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:14 am

:-bd

Whatever4

Science, General Stuff

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Discoverers of Higgs boson, a.k.a. "the God particle," awarded Nobel Prize in physics[/break1]cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57606461/discoverers-of-higgs-boson-a.k.a--the-god-particle-awarded-nobel-prize-in-physics/]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-576 ... n-physics/It's about time. ;)[link]It's about space.,[/link]

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

magdalen77

Science, General Stuff

Post by magdalen77 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:52 pm

[link]It's about space.,[/link] :lol: Can still sing it! ETA: When you're 7 a silly song like that is gonna stick! I mostly remember Imogene Coca was the cavewoman. Yep, I remember it too. It was on before Ed Sullivan on Sunday night.

Chilidog

Science, General Stuff

Post by Chilidog » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Higg's Boson is nothing. Let me tell you about the time I discovered Maggie's bosom. :rimshot:

Reality Check

Science, General Stuff

Post by Reality Check » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 am

BTW the Large Hadron Collider is in an extended shutdown mode for upgrades that will eventually lead to running it at the full rated energy of 13 TEV by early 2015. One of the huge tasks underway is to check and repair defective splices in the super cooled bus bar conductors feeding the magnets. There are over 10,000 of these and about 30% have to be redone. Failed splices were the reason that the machine had to be limited to 50% of rated energy after initial testing revealed the problem. Even running at 50% the machine performed well enough to allow for the discovery of the Higgs particle.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Volkonski

Science, General Stuff

Post by Volkonski » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:53 am

The Standard Model rocks!

Volkonski

Science, General Stuff

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Sigh.The school that charged me and my parents thousands of dollars to take science and engineering courses is now giving them away online. The alumni office is bombarding me with emails to rub it in. Here is one that I took in the old way back in the day-[/break1]edx.org/course/mit/2-03x/dynamics/1102]https://www.edx.org/course/mit/2-03x/dynamics/1102Have you always wanted to improve your understanding of classical Newtonian dynamics but been put off by $20,000 tuition fees? Well, if you have 12 hours a week (12 hours, right, I remember their estimated effort hours, expect to need to put in more like 24) over 7 weeks to spare and have already mastered classical mechanics and multi-variable calculus, now is your chance. Free to take or audit. College credit available (often free but may be a fee for some courses).Already took Newtonian Dynamics? Not sure what you want to study? Try the three week demo course to see if this intensive online experience is for you. [/break1]edx.org/course/edx/edxdemo101/edx-demo/1038]https://www.edx.org/course/edx/edxdemo1 ... o/1038This won't be like the Taft Law School. When the cheery "How it Works" introductory video says, "Courses can be tough, we make sure they are rigorous.", believe it! "Rigorous". I remember what that word meant. :yikes: Note the written warning on the course description- "This introductory course has the same rigor as the regular M.I.T. course of the same name." "Introductory". How droll. ;) This "introductory" course is taken by mechanical engineering students in their 3rd year.I see that under the same program Harvard is offering a course on the poetry of Walt Whitman. I might try that. --> Many courses available now and more coming all the time.

magdalen77

Science, General Stuff

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:39 am

Sigh.The school that charged me and my parents thousands of dollars to take science and engineering courses is now giving them away online. The alumni office is bombarding me with emails to rub it in. Here is one that I took in the old way back in the day-[/break1]edx.org/course/mit/2-03x/dynamics/1102]https://www.edx.org/course/mit/2-03x/dynamics/1102Have you always wanted to improve your understanding of classical Newtonian dynamics but been put off by $20,000 tuition fees? Well, if you have 12 hours a week (12 hours, right, I remember their estimated effort hours, expect to need to put in more like 24) over 7 weeks to spare and have already mastered classical mechanics and multi-variable calculus, now is your chance. Free to take or audit. College credit available (often free but may be a fee for some courses).Already took Newtonian Dynamics? Not sure what you want to study? Try the three week demo course to see if this intensive online experience is for you. [/break1]edx.org/course/edx/edxdemo101/edx-demo/1038]https://www.edx.org/course/edx/edxdemo1 ... o/1038This won't be like the Taft Law School. When the cheery "How it Works" introductory video says, "Courses can be tough, we make sure they are rigorous.", believe it! "Rigorous". I remember what that word meant. :yikes: Note the written warning on the course description- "This introductory course has the same rigor as the regular M.I.T. course of the same name." "Introductory". How droll. ;) This "introductory" course is taken by mechanical engineering students in their 3rd year.I see that under the same program Harvard is offering a course on the poetry of Walt Whitman. I might try that. --> Many courses available now and more coming all the time.I love EdX and Coursera. If it wans't for all the stuff I've had going on with my daddy having pneumonia and the man having a stroke (happened within a week of each other back in early September) I'd be taking some courses right now. I had "regsitered" for Introductory calculus, some course called "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" and also an environmental law course. But my schedule has been shot to heck. I'll have to try them next time they come around.

Sterngard Friegen

Science, General Stuff

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:17 am

This won't be like the Taft Law Skool.No. 1. You don't have to send it money. 2. You'll actually learn something and improve yourself.

Volkonski

Science, General Stuff

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 am

"Rigorous"Otherwise known as "This one's gonna leave marks." :lol: ...some course called "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers"... :dontwanttolook:Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers. Who else would be likely to study quantum mechanics? :-k I have heard that some colleges have courses like "Physics for Poets" which are easy science courses for non-science majors. So, is that an easy quantum mechanics course that has been dumbed down for scientists and engineers? ;) Who takes the rigorous quantum mechanics course? :shock: :-?

kate520

Science, General Stuff

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 am

Cal Tech used to have courses for high schoolers on the weekends, in the auditorium. It was open to all, not just kids. I flunked out of the Fortran class. :oops:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

magdalen77

Science, General Stuff

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:40 pm

I have a BS in Biology and a BA in Chemistry, so I thought I might qualify for the "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" course. Of course I've spent the last 20 years in environmental enforcement which ends up being more about the law and its application than about science or engineering (though it helps if you understand the science behind the regulations).

magdalen77

Science, General Stuff

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I have a BS in Biology and a [highlight]BA in Chemistry[/highlight], so I thought I might qualify for the "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" course.Yep, you're qualified. :lol: You probably learned a lot of it in your P Chem classes.Yep, I learned that I hated P-Chem. Give me biochem or organic chem any day.

Volkonski

Science, General Stuff

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:58 pm

A new "law" of biology: All mammals pee for about 21 seconds[/break1]wordpress.com/2013/10/18/a-new-law-of-biology-all-mammals-pee-for-about-21-seconds/]http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... 1-seconds/http://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpre ... 626&h=290A little more of the paper here-[/break1]org/pdf/1310.3737v2.pdf]http://arxiv.org/pdf/1310.3737v2.pdfVideo here-[/break1]discovermagazine.com/seriouslyscience/2013/10/17/regardless-bladder-size-mammals-urinate-approximately-21-seconds/]http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/serio ... 1-seconds/The entire paper will be published soon.

June bug

Science, General Stuff

Post by June bug » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for posting that, Volkonski. :hug: doG, I lurves me TFB. Where else would I get an early look at science showing that 21 seconds of peeing is more or less universal among critters ('cludin' us) what pee? ("I'll take urinary trivia for $100, Alex.")

Jez

Science, General Stuff

Post by Jez » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Ok, so how many of us are going to hit the bathroom with a stopwatch next time we gotta go?

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

MN-Skeptic

Science, General Stuff

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 pm

In 14 months I'll turn 62 and be eligible to audit classes at [/break1]umn.edu/registration/special_for/senior_citizen_education_program.html]Minnesota's universities for $10/credit \ :D / . I don't know what I'll take but there's a 2-year community college less than a mile away. I'm excited!

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Science, General Stuff

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:21 pm

The local CC here pushes nursing and classes the field I'm in. My job has already ruined my hobby. I don't need more. Now if only I could find a place in the Midwest after I retire, I'd be interested. The college in my ex-home state and your ex-home state does offer things of real interest, but I doubt I'll be moving back to that state. Nor does it offer such a deal to us older ones as far as I know.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Whatever4

Science, General Stuff

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Ok, so how many of us are going to hit the bathroom with a stopwatch next time we gotta go? :oops:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

GreatGrey

Science, General Stuff

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Ok, so how many of us are going to hit the bathroom with a stopwatch next time we gotta go?Not valid.Requires independent observation.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Return to “Science & Technology”