Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

User avatar
sad-cafe
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#326

Post by sad-cafe » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:39 pm

oh it's coming out all right!



User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#327

Post by Azastan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:15 pm

sad-cafe wrote:tomorrow is colonoscopy day

just finished the prep
Ugh.

I'm not quite sure what to say. "Enjoy' just doesn't seem appropriate. 'Good luck' would work, but perhaps I should just say 'it'll be over before you know it'!



User avatar
Jez
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Out there, Somewhere...
Occupation: Thread Killer

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#328

Post by Jez » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:01 am

I think I still have the CD of my colonoscopy. The doctor was very impressed with my degree of prep. Even noted it in the report.

Is that something I should be happy about? Does this mean I'm becoming old when I celebrate a good colonoscopy prep? :confused:


I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 11147
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Here
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#329

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:31 am

Jez wrote:Dsoes this mean I'm becoming old when I celebrate a good colonoscopy prep? :confused:
I'd have to say... yup.


"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

rosy
Posts: 1485
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#330

Post by rosy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 am

Good luck with the colonoscopy, sad-café.

I've been relatively well - I got put on methotrexate for a while but didn't get on with it at all, so I'm back on azathioprine (Imuran) but at a lower dose than before to try to keep the liver damage to the minimum. My ALT went over 1,000 but it's back down in the 150ish range now.

The fatigue is the worst thing at the moment, I'm unable to function properly because I'm just so tired all the time.



User avatar
SueDB
Posts: 27756
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: FEMA Camp PI Okanogan, WA 98840

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#331

Post by SueDB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am

rosy wrote:Good luck with the colonoscopy, sad-café.

I've been relatively well - I got put on methotrexate for a while but didn't get on with it at all, so I'm back on azathioprine (Imuran) but at a lower dose than before to try to keep the liver damage to the minimum. My ALT went over 1,000 but it's back down in the 150ish range now.

The fatigue is the worst thing at the moment, I'm unable to function properly because I'm just so tired all the time.
Fatigue seems to be everyone's complaint regardless of whatever other stuff the drugs do. Some days, I can't even drag my mangy ass out of bed it's so bad.


“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

User avatar
GreatGrey
Posts: 9284
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Living in the Anthropocene

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#332

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Jez wrote:I think I still have the CD of my colonoscopy. The doctor was very impressed with my degree of prep. Even noted it in the report.

Is that something I should be happy about? Does this mean I'm becoming old when I celebrate a good colonoscopy prep? :confused:
They always note the quality of the prep since it directly affects the quality of the observations.

I saw a report that noted poor prep and the GI guy sent the fellow home with a "Do over" note.


I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#333

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:49 pm

SueDB wrote:
rosy wrote:Good luck with the colonoscopy, sad-café.

I've been relatively well - I got put on methotrexate for a while but didn't get on with it at all, so I'm back on azathioprine (Imuran) but at a lower dose than before to try to keep the liver damage to the minimum. My ALT went over 1,000 but it's back down in the 150ish range now.

The fatigue is the worst thing at the moment, I'm unable to function properly because I'm just so tired all the time.
Fatigue seems to be everyone's complaint regardless of whatever other stuff the drugs do. Some days, I can't even drag my mangy ass out of bed it's so bad.
This describes my life with fibromyalgia which is comorbid with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Thank goodness for the boogle. It keeps my mind and fingers active even when the rest of my body chooses not to cooperate. I share my daily "accomplishments" with my sweet husband- emptying the dishwasher, changing the sheets on the bed and making sure the dogs and cats load test them, visiting my horse,etc. Energy comes in bursts of one to two hours or maybe even a week.

PLUS, we are getting older which adds to the fatigue if you don't move your body. Talk about Catholic guilt! Ain't life grand?


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
SueDB
Posts: 27756
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: FEMA Camp PI Okanogan, WA 98840

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#334

Post by SueDB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:21 pm

I try to get one thing done each day that I'm home all day (no appointments/visitors/excursions etc). Some times though it takes me all week to get the one thing done. You learn the real value of paper plates so you don't have to load the dishwasher as often. Fortunately we live in a "disposable" society and we try to take advantage of it. And yes, we recycle a much as possible to try to make up for it. Which reminds me, I have to spin up enough energy to take the garbage and recycle cans out to the curb sometime tomorrow. Focus, Focus, Focus - but as hard as I focus I can't seem to levitate or teleport the cans to the curb. :roll:


“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#335

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm

SueDB wrote:I try to get one thing done each day that I'm home all day (no appointments/visitors/excursions etc). Some times though it takes me all week to get the one thing done. You learn the real value of paper plates so you don't have to load the dishwasher as often. Fortunately we live in a "disposable" society and we try to take advantage of it. And yes, we recycle a much as possible to try to make up for it. Which reminds me, I have to spin up enough energy to take the garbage and recycle cans out to the curb sometime tomorrow. Focus, Focus, Focus - but as hard as I focus I can't seem to levitate or teleport the cans to the curb. :roll:
But you get it done! That's called long term planning. :thumbs:


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
SueDB
Posts: 27756
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: FEMA Camp PI Okanogan, WA 98840

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#336

Post by SueDB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
SueDB wrote:I try to get one thing done each day that I'm home all day (no appointments/visitors/excursions etc). Some times though it takes me all week to get the one thing done. You learn the real value of paper plates so you don't have to load the dishwasher as often. Fortunately we live in a "disposable" society and we try to take advantage of it. And yes, we recycle a much as possible to try to make up for it. Which reminds me, I have to spin up enough energy to take the garbage and recycle cans out to the curb sometime tomorrow. Focus, Focus, Focus - but as hard as I focus I can't seem to levitate or teleport the cans to the curb. :roll:
But you get it done! That's called long term planning. :thumbs:
:lol:


“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#337

Post by Azastan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: I share my daily "accomplishments" with my sweet husband- emptying the dishwasher, changing the sheets on the bed and making sure the dogs and cats load test them, visiting my horse,etc. Energy comes in bursts of one to two hours or maybe even a week.
I don't want to sound like a crabby old person, but because I am a concierge for horses (I like that better than horse poop shoveler), I have had several conversations when first meeting with new clients about how they have hired a young person who is very enthusiastic for the first few weeks, and then suddenly drops off the planet because it means having to get out there and DO IT every day.

Having an animal, especially large livestock type animals, means you must get out of bed even if it's killing you.



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#338

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Azastan wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: I share my daily "accomplishments" with my sweet husband- emptying the dishwasher, changing the sheets on the bed and making sure the dogs and cats load test them, visiting my horse,etc. Energy comes in bursts of one to two hours or maybe even a week.
:snippity:

Having an animal, especially large livestock type animals, means you must get out of bed even if it's killing you.
That is great advice for those who can do. I have had too many fibro "episodes" while with my horse for her to trust me to be there to feed her daily. :P


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#339

Post by Azastan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: That is great advice for those who can do. I have had too many fibro "episodes" while with my horse for her to trust me to be there to feed her daily. :P
That is why I am a concierge for horses! It gets harder and harder to find people who not only can, but *will* get out of bed each and every day.



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#340

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Azastan wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: That is great advice for those who can do. I have had too many fibro "episodes" while with my horse for her to trust me to be there to feed her daily. :P
That is why I am a concierge for horses! It gets harder and harder to find people who not only can, but *will* get out of bed each and every day.
Love your title "concierge". I will share it with Princess's concierges.


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 19768
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#341

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 pm

I am of that certain age where I may never need to have a colonoscopy again unless something suspicious shows up.

As for C. diff. infections, I was put on the antibiotic that is most associated with C. diff. infections and was told to boost my probiotics consumption. It was pointed out that some yogurt brands have few living organisms, so take pills too. I came out of it OK.


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
SueDB
Posts: 27756
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: FEMA Camp PI Okanogan, WA 98840

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#342

Post by SueDB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:09 pm

The best I can do is cater to 2 cats. Feeding them twice a day keeps me going. When they are hungry, they are terminally obnoxious, so I'm highly encouraged to put their food out.


“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!


User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#344

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

sad-cafe wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/to- ... dbc?123123

this could be my story
Wow! I plan to email this story verbatim to my congressional "representatives".


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
sad-cafe
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#345

Post by sad-cafe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:09 pm

so the results of the scope were okay

but still no explanation for the massive pain. Now it is on to more tests. Maybe something wrong with the pancreas



User avatar
Jez
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Out there, Somewhere...
Occupation: Thread Killer

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#346

Post by Jez » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Roommate finally convinced me to go to the ER on Tuesday night (The nice one, not the idiot). Got there 7ish, got back there 8ish. Explained that I more than likely had a perirectal abscess, since I had a history of them and also had Diverticulosis. I had been in pain for several weeks, have had a "discharge" but the stopping point was I started bleeding. Figured it was as good a time as any to head in. Not to mention the pain. Couldn't really take the pain anymore.

So I go the slowest hospital in Ohio. Everything they do is slo-mo. I tried to keep ahead of the pain, letting them know that I need a 4mg dose of morphine minimum, that 6 lasts longer. nope. 2mg. which wears off pretty darn quickly.

anyway, finally got some relief from the pain when the doc ordered a 10mg push. It lasted long enough for them to transport me to the hospital from the ER. (Different buildings several blocks from each other.)

So, finally get into a room at the hospital, given another dose of pain killers told NO WATER or food because "any minute now" I might be wisked off to surgery. Which didn't happen until about 4pm.

in the interim, pain meds took forever. Even freaking tylenol took forever. so, I'm uncomfortable to say the least, but managing. Finally get to the surgery, and they do an epidural, which I've never had before. Are they supposed to knock you out? Because I don't remember anything from when they put the needle in to waking up in recovery.

So, get back to the room, legs numb still, ass in pain.

The abscess was 7cmx5cmx5cm. Big. Bigger than the one that exploded in July 2014. But, it was intact and he was able to lance it and drain it fully. Now comes the interesting part.

When they did the CT scan to confirm the abscess, the took a closer look at it. He noticed what might be a cyst on the end of the tailbone that might actually be the cause of most of these episodes. So, he is wanting to do an MRI down the road to confirm, and possible remove the cysts if possible.

There might be an end to this nightmare yet. Or at least light at the end of the tunnel.

Ok, me and my Norco need to say hello. :)


I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#347

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Oh my, best of luck. I've had more than my share of GI problems, including an intestinal blockage for which emergency surgery was required. I hope they have found an answer that really helps you.



User avatar
realist
Posts: 34354
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#348

Post by realist » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:24 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm
I hope they have found an answer that really helps you.
:yeah: :bighug:


ImageX 4 ImageX36
Image

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 6163
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#349

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Jez, what a painful tale to read. Pardon the pun. You probably fell asleep after the epidural because 1) pain relief and 2) exhaustion. Please keep us informed about how you are doing, especially about having a positive resolution. :bighug:


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
sad-cafe
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Crohn's and Colitis & GastroIntestinal Joys of Life - Our Very Own Thread

#350

Post by sad-cafe » Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 pm

so a couple weeks ago, not long after my last remicade treatment, my feet started itching.

now, one still itches but the other one has moved to look and feel like a burn. Anyone with any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.



Post Reply

Return to “Science & Technology”