Vaccines for All - Vaxers vs Antivaxers

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

But do you know - MMR DOES NOT cause MS. There is NO difference between disease rates in MMR protected populations an non vaccine protected populations, in fact there is no difference in the autoimmune disease rate using the 2 populations... all vaccinated versus non-vax.

Do Childhood Vaccines Cause MS?

As with many autoimmune diseases, the exact cause(s) of multiple sclerosis is still unknown. However, research has identified contributing factors including genetics, the environment, and our immune system. There have been theories that exposure to certain viruses, such as Epstein Barr virus, may trigger the immune system to malfunction and attack myelin, the fatty sheath which insulates nerve fibers and helps messages travel through the nervous system.

Understandably many people diagnosed with autoimmune diseases may be concerned about vaccine safety. Special concern has emerged in the media regarding the causative factor of routine vaccines and various autoimmune diseases such as MS, type I diabetes, or rheumatoid arthritis. Research is somewhat limited.

In conclusion, the research available does not support the hypothesis that childhood immunizations may cause multiple sclerosis. Additional information regarding vaccines and MS is available on the National MS Society website.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Highlands

Post by Highlands »

When I was two years old, I had a bad reaction to the DPT vaccination. My leg swelled up and I had to have an emergency fasciotomy to relieve the pressure in my leg. I could have lost my leg to compartment syndrome, but thankfully I am fine.

After that, I only received the diphtheria and tetanus vaccines, as the doctors decided my particular reaction was to the pertussis portion of the vaccine. These days, the vaccine is configured differently (TDaP), so I'm now fully immunized against all three illnesses.

Like someone already mentioned, vaccines are a great example of risk vs reward. Even though I had a reaction to a vaccine, I immunize my children. As a nurse, I always recommend vaccines to my patients and their families.
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. »

Here is an article that no doubt has the Disney PR folks in a tizzy. The source of the article is AP so it has spread across the Internet already.

It may be the happiest place on Earth, but [hlyellow]California health officials are warning people to stay away from Disneyland unless they're vaccinated[/hlyellow].

That means all babies under the age of 1, who are too young to get the vaccine, and people who for various other reasons have not been immunized or who haven't already had measles.

"People ask whether it is safe to visit venues where measles has been identified and may be circulating. The answer is yes, considering you have been fully vaccinated," Dr. Gil Chavez, state epidemiologist for California, told reporters. "Parents of infants may consider staying away."

The highly contagious and potentially deadly virus has already infected at least 70 people in six states and in Mexico. And given that people from all over the world visit Disneyland, it's almost certain there will be many more cases in more places. The latest new case: an Arizona woman in her 50s who visited the theme park in December.

Snip-----

Five park employees are among the cases, and Disney is watching about 100 other employees who worked closely with them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ne ... rn-n291426

I'm thinking of going to Disneyland on Sunday ( because what else am I going to do, watch the super bowl? :lol: ) but since I had measles as a child, I'm not worried. It's too much to hope that it will be less crowded than usual, right?
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played one on TV.

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. »

When I was two years old, I had a bad reaction to the DPT vaccination. My leg swelled up and I had to have an emergency fasciotomy to relieve the pressure in my leg. I could have lost my leg to compartment syndrome, but thankfully I am fine.

After that, I only received the diphtheria and tetanus vaccines, as the doctors decided my particular reaction was to the pertussis portion of the vaccine. These days, the vaccine is configured differently (TDaP), so I'm now fully immunized against all three illnesses.

Like someone already mentioned, vaccines are a great example of risk vs reward. Even though I had a reaction to a vaccine, I immunize my children. As a nurse, I always recommend vaccines to my patients and their families.

I had a bad reaction to the DPT vaccine in the early 80's, when I was in college. I had gotten into an accident with my poor little mo-ped, leaving a good chunk of my knee on the pavement. At the hospital they gave me a DPT shot as a precaution, and sent me home. About 12 hours later I could not stop vomiting, which went on for hours. In the middle of the night my roommates had a conference with the girls next door, and they all voted to throw me into a car belonging to one of the girls and drive me back to the hospital. I had no choice in the matter, as they made very clear. They were very worried. After doing tests to rule out head trauma or anything else, the doctors decided that it must be a reaction to the DPT shot.
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played one on TV.

Gnarly Goat

Post by Gnarly Goat »

Woke up this morning to an e-mail from my oldest child's college informing parents of a possible mumps outbreak amongst the freshmen. Particularly irritating because the school required all freshmen to update immunizations prior to matriculation to they're clearly not enforcing the policy.

These anti-vaxer nut jobs are creating large, unnecessary public health risks.
"Don't waste time mourning. Organize." - Joe Hill

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Colleges get kinda upset about forged/fake vaccination papers every time there is an outbreak.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

College Student Takes AMTRAK Along With Measles

College Student Who Traveled on Amtrak Out of Penn Station Diagnosed With Measles: Health Dept. Updated at 12:20 PM EST on Saturday, Jan 31, 2015

New York state health officials say an upstate college student who took an Amtrak train out of Penn Station earlier this week has been diagnosed with the highly contagious measles.

The student was diagnosed at Bard College in Dutchess County, officials said, but had traveled out of New York City on Sunday, potentially exposing people beyond the campus.

Anyone who traveled on Amtrak train no. 283 departing Penn Station at 1:20 p.m. on Jan. 25 is urged to contact their doctor if they're not immune to measles and they develop a fever. The train was headed to Albany and Niagara.

People who may have been exposed and have symptoms consistent with measles should call their doctor or local emergency room before going for care so that others at the facilities aren't exposed. ...

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

"What is this, the 1950's?" As much as the GOP wants to turn back the clock, having these preventable diseases sweep from coast to coast is ridiculous.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

The anti-vax movement is, surprisingly, not especially partisan. The only recent example of partisan anti-vax sentiment that I can recall was the hubbub over the HPV vaccine.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Lani

Post by Lani »

Sorry to hear about the reactions...

No one ever claimed vaccination was without risk.

It is the risk:benefit ratio. The benefits far outweigh the risks.

How would you feel to know that someone's baby died because they got close to your unvaccinated sick but not showing symptoms kid sloughing viruses into the air at K-Mart?

I would be very sad about any baby who died for any reason. I've experienced that loss as well. It doesnt go away. I also have two friends who became deaf as young children due to childhood illness complications before vaccines were available for them.

The risk/benefit ratio sounds great until you or someone you love is hit with being the risk. I am not promoting no vaccines. I am suggesting that doctors recognize that some people are at risk and be open to concerns of parents.

I understand the fear. And there are easy ways to fix it, if people stop thinking in black and white terms.

So to fix the current state of affairs, I suggest:

1) Increase parent confidence by mandating adverse event reaction reports.

2) Require that parents be given the product insert.

3) Encourage the single measles vaccine for parents concerned about the MMR.

I think that will be more productive instead of the all or nothing attack on frightened parents.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

All-or-nothing thinking is one of the principal banes of the modern world.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Jeebuz...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/j ... or-measles

Edit: Attachmentpalooza deleted.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Roboe

Post by Roboe »

And the moron is absolutely loving the attention:

(WaPo) Amid measles outbreak, anti-vaccine doctor revels in his notoriety

Thank heavens for some sensible people though..

Then there are the critics. Of which there are many. “I’ll be sending a copy of your highly irresponsible and reckless comments to the Arizona Medical Board for review,” one said. “As a pediatrician who has seen unvaccinated children die from vaccine preventable diseases and also seen whooping cough go through my practice area in 2013 thanks to declining vaccination rates, you do not deserve to hold a license to practice medicine in AZ.”

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Christie and a Paul are busy stepping into deep foo.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Sigh. I can recall when Republicans were the party that talked about personal responsibility.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

Fifteen years ago, measles was eradicated in the U.S., with only a handful of imported cases per year. Last year there were over 600 cases in the U.S., almost all of them preventable. We're already on track to beat that this year and we are in real danger of geometric progression and epidemic outbreaks if the pattern isn't reversed quickly.

Meanwhile, there continues to be zero credible scientific evidence linking vaccines to autism, and we go into a national disease panic over two or three isolated cases of imported Ebola virus.

Vaccines are so incredibly effective at preventing disease that we've forgotten the horrors that led us to develop vaccines in the first place.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Dr. Ben Carson Weighs in on the Vaccination Debate

Dr. Ben Carson, the pediatric neurosurgeon and likely 2016 Republican presidential candidate has weighed in on the debate over mandatory vaccinations in light of a new measles outbreak with a statement that departs from potential GOP opponents like Chris Christie and Rand Paul.

“Although I strongly believe in individual rights and the rights of parents to raise their children as they see fit, I also recognize that public health and public safety are extremely important in our society,” Carson told The Hill in a statement.

“Certain communicable diseases have been largely eradicated by immunization policies in this country and we should not allow those diseases to return by foregoing safe immunization programs, for philosophical, religious or other reasons when we have the means to eradicate them,” he added.

So, while Republican politicians like Christie and Paul have been quick to defend parents’ rights to not vaccinate their children, Dr. Carson is placing more importance on the elimination of a preventable disease like the measles.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/dr-ben-c ... on-debate/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Sigh. I can recall when Republicans were the party that talked about personal responsibility.

They still are: It's your fault if you are poor/sick/unable to work/...
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

They still are: It's your fault if you are poor/sick/unable to work/... Sometimes I find FR educational.If you are a liberal, or, for that matter, anyone who does not meet FR's definition of conservative, then it's 100% your fault that you are poor/sick/unable to work, etc. Moreover, you just want to live off the government.On the other hand, true conservatives who are poor/sick/unable to work are obviously the victims of the Obama administration policies.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

The saddest story Roald Dahl ever wrote — about his daughter’s death from measles — is worth reading today

Roald Dahl, the renowned author of “Boy,” “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “Matilda” and scores of other books and screenplays, lost his daughter Olivia to measles encephalitis in 1962. In 1988, about seven years before his death, he wrote a poignant plea for the Sandwell Health Authority in Britain urging everyone to get their kids vaccinated. Dahl’s recounting of his experience has been rediscovered and recirculated in recent days because of the measles outbreak in California, spread largely by unvaccinated individuals who came in contact with an infected visitor to Disneyland. <SNIP>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... ng_strip_4

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

On FOX: Vaccination debate spills over into 2016 White House race

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, both potential Republican candidates, waded into the debate on Monday, saying parents should have a say in whether to vaccinate their kids

On Tuesday, Ben Carson, a neurosurgeon and conservative advocate who is considering a White House run, weighed in on the other side. While saying there are "exceptional situations" that should be heard and he strongly believes in individual rights, Carson said, "I also recognize that public health and public safety are extremely important in our society."

He said in a statement: "Certain communicable diseases have been largely eradicated by immunization policies in this country and we should not allow those diseases to return by foregoing safe immunization programs, for philosophical, religious or other reasons when we have the means to eradicate them."

The statement puts some distance between Carson, and Christie and Paul.

Hillary Clinton, the leading likely Democratic contender for the party nomination in 2016, couldn't resist taking a dig at the GOP hopefuls on Twitter.

"The science is clear: The earth is round, the sky is blue, and #vaccineswork. Let's protect all our kids. #GrandmothersKnowBest." <SNIP>

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02 ... e-remarks/

There is also a video at the link. At one point (3:09), one of the speakers is talking about this issue and politicians pandering.

....." 9/11 trutherism, Obama birtherism, it could make the politician look stupid"

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Could?
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot »

I may have a new favorite website...

Laura Buchholz, writing at The Reductress:I Know What’s Best For The Health of My Family, And It’s Magical Thinking

I’m a mom, a wife, a doula, an urban chicken farmer, a life coach, an extended breast-feeder, a weaver, a kombucha brewer, a yogini, and a Therapeutic Healing Touch practitioner. But most importantly, I’m a mom. And as a mom, I know what’s best for the health of my family: magical thinking.

Science is great. It’s done a lot of good for the world, to be sure. It’s just not right for me or my family.

And if you want to live and die by the wholly effective, risk-free, and affordable breakthroughs that Western medicine has produced, that’s fine. That’s your right.

But don’t expect me to come along on that joyride of lies.

Four paragraphs doesn't come close to doing it justice. Read, as they say, the whole thing.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

ducktape

Post by ducktape »

OMG, I think I may have a new favorite website, too.

Return to “Science & Technology”