Vaccines for All - Vaxers vs Antivaxers

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 am

[/break1]nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/06/16873902-new-whooping-cough-strain-may-be-cause-of-more-illnesses?lite]New Whooping Cough Strain (evilution is real and occuring every second)

Researchers have discovered the first U.S. cases of whooping cough caused by a germ that may be resistant to the vaccine.An increase in illnesses in recent years has been partially blamed on a version of the vaccine used since the 1990s, which doesn't last as long. Last year, the CDC received reports of 41,880 cases, according to a preliminary count. That included 18 deaths.In a small, soon-to-be published study, French researchers found the vaccine seemed to lower the risk of severe disease from the new strain in infants. But it didn't prevent illness completely, said Nicole Guiso of the Pasteur Institute, one of the researchers.

The new germ was first identified in France, where more extensive testing is routinely done for whooping cough. The strain now accounts for 14 percent of cases there, Guiso said.No speculation as to "why" the bacteria is showing resistance to the present vaccine.

IMHO - it is because we have a reservoir of unvaccinated humans.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Norbrook

Post by Norbrook » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:32 am

Phil Plait over at [/break1]slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/04/jenny_mccarthy_antivaccination_promoter_won_t_be_speaking_at_charity_fundraiser.html]Bad Astronomy has a good takedown of them, including their most prominent shill, Jenny McCarthy. I did a look as well on [/break1]wordpress.com/2013/01/31/anti-vaccination-conspiracies-and-darwin/]my blog about them.

What infuriates me about the anti-vaxers is that they don't have a fucking clue about how bad these diseases really are! ](*,) They're "risk averse" except they want more risk than any vaccine. For example, measles vaccines the rate of a "serious reaction" is about 1:100,000. The rate of "death" from the disease is 1:1000.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

No speculation as to "why" the bacteria is showing resistance to the present vaccine. IMHO - it is because we have a reservoir of unvaccinated humans.I think you meant "virus" instead of "bacteria".
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 pm

No speculation as to "why" the bacteria is showing resistance to the present vaccine. IMHO - it is because we have a reservoir of unvaccinated humans.I think you meant "virus" instead of "bacteria".Whooping cough is bacterial.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 pm

I stand corrected.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:54 pm

[/break1]faqs.org/health/topics/80/Whooping-cough.html]Whooping CoughWhooping cough, also known as pertussis, is a highly contagious disease which causes classic spasms (paroxysms) of uncontrollable coughing, followed by a sharp, high-pitched intake of air which creates the characteristic "whoop" of the disease's name.Whooping cough is caused by a bacteria called Bordatella pertussis. B. pertussis causes its most severe symptoms by attaching itself to those cells in the respiratory tract which have cilia. Cilia are small, hair-like projections that beat continuously, and serve to constantly sweep the respiratory tract clean of such debris as mucus, bacteria, viruses, and dead cells.When B. pertussis interferes with this normal, janitorial function,mucus and cellular debris accumulate and cause constant irritation to the respiratory tract, triggering coughing and increasing further mucus production.Whooping cough is a disease which exists throughout the world. While people of any age can contract whooping cough, children under the age of two are at the highest risk for both the disease and for serious complications and death.Apparently, exposure to B. pertussis bacteria earlier in life gives a person some immunity against infection with it later on. Subsequent infections resemble the common cold.Vaccines are commonly used to prevent viral infections as anti infective agents available today provide very little treatment besides supportive or keeping another bug away.Whooping Cough, Plague, Chaler....Cholera, Anthrax, are examples of bacterial vaccines. These are tough to treat, so prevention is the way to go.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Hidden Content
Hidden Content
I ran into the same issue last year when I got shingles and then tried to get the vaccine. I'm only 52, my insurance is not wanting to cover it but I sure as hell do not want to get it again! It affected my sciatic nerve in my right leg and I was too blasted ignorant to know what was going on until it was too late to get medication. However, coming after an extremely painful and drawn-out root canal, shingles didn't hurt QUITE as much. But it was still a PITA.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:24 pm

They don't want to give me the vaccine until I am 62. I'm not quite that old, however the shingles on the skin/scalp is like your head is on fire 24 hours a day. Even the breeze twitching a hair send ya to the medicine chest for another Oxycontin w/apap....

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:45 am

I don't know why they've picked 60 as the threshold age for this immunization. Of the people I've known who have contacted shingles, none were over 60. From what I've researched it starts to affect people once they are in their mid-40s. If you ask me, anyone who has ever had chicken pox should be given the shingles vaccine.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 am

The worst place to have shingles is where YOU have shingles! My poor Mista got them on his...um....left, back side encompassing usually inaccessible areas, making it horrifically painful to sit, go to the bathroom, walk. It was a month-long ordeal which caused him multiple complications and a twenty-pound weight loss. Neurontin did little as he already takes it, along with other meds for epilepsy. No sleep, no appetite, constant pain...I would opt for the vaccine if it were available here, and gladly pay out-of-pocket. For the crazies out there preaching "don't vaccinate your children" shit, ask the generation of people who lived in iron lungs, wore leg braces, or the parents of those children who died of polio if vaccinations are worth it. This is a dangerous, irresponsible position taken by hacks and quacks such as Dr. Rima Laibow. She was run out of the US and now preys on Central and South American people with her screed.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 am

The Muslim tribal leaders in Pakistan have been trying to spread propaganda that vaccines make guys sterile. Nice assholes, eh?

Norbrook

Post by Norbrook » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 pm

The Muslim tribal leaders in Pakistan have been trying to spread propaganda that vaccines make guys sterile. Nice assholes, eh?Hmmm... given the standard of medical care available to them at the moment, there's a certain darwinian aspect in store for them. ;) Sterility will be the least of their problems. :-({|=

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 pm

I don't know why they've picked 60 as the threshold age for this immunization.My guess is some jerkoff insurance company idiot who was probably not even a doctor pulled the number out of his ass because he could increase profits by cutting how many vaccines they had to pay for.

vic

Post by vic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I don't know why they've picked 60 as the threshold age for this immunization.My guess is some jerkoff insurance company idiot who was probably not even a doctor pulled the number out of his ass because he could increase profits by cutting how many vaccines they had to pay for.According to the CDC website, their Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices doesn't recommend shingles vaccine before age 60. Reading the documents linked from the [link]CDC ACIP Recommendations,http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/ACIP-list.htm#zoster[/link]. it seems that the recommendation in 2008 for vaccination after age 60 was restricted because

Vaccination of Persons Aged

The vaccine is not licensed for persons aged 60 years. The vaccine was most effective and well tolerated in the youngest persons (Table 1) (4). Although the vaccine would probably be safe and effective in persons aged The supplemental document from November 2011 indicates that the vaccine was licensed for age 50-59 in July of that year, but they were keeping the age 60 recommendation. But the reason for that isn't entirely medical:

Considering all available evidence and the supply issues, ACIP declined to recommend the use of herpes zoster vaccine among adults aged 50 through 59 years and reaffirmed its existing recommendation that herpes zoster vaccine be routinely recommended for adults aged 60 years and older
Edit: Forgot to mention - my neighbor had a shingles attack in her 70's and was suicidal until the doctor found a medication which handled the pain (I think it was a patch of some kind). Needless to say, as soon as my doctor suggested the vaccine (I was 63) I said YES.

Edit: oops - YES was the second thing I said. The first thing I said was "There's a vaccine? How come everyone doesn't know about that?"

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Edit: oops - YES was the second thing I said. The first thing I said was "There's a vaccine? How come everyone doesn't know about that?"
I never heard of the vaccine until my local Safeway store pharmacy started pushing it. At a mere $300 a pop for the uninsured.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm not liking the idea of having to wait 7-plus years for a vaccine that I have a demonstrated need for NOW. I can even show you the scars I got from shingles last year.As for people who refuse to vax their kids, they're idiots, plain and simple. Diseases we now have vaccines for, there are reasons for that. People were damaged or flat-out died from those "childhood diseases." I was born after the Salk vaccine became available but before the Sabin vaccine. But I am old enough to remember everyone trooping down to the high school one Saturday because there was a vaccine for German measles (rubella) and the ebil gubmit was doing a mass vaccination campaign. Even as a kid, I knew pregnant ladies and rubella just didn't mix. I'd like to shake these crunchy granola types and ask them if they're going to go for the serious intervention when their kid gets a communicable disease, or will they stick with pre-vaccine medicine.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:40 pm

[/break1]nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/08/16900453-gunmen-kill-9-polio-health-workers-in-nigeria-police-say?lite]Nigeria - 9 Polio Health Workers Killed

KANO, Nigeria -- Gunmen on motorbikes shot dead nine health workers who were administering polio vaccinations in two separate attacks in Nigeria's main northern city of Kano Friday, police said.

No one claimed responsibility but Islamist militant group Boko Haram -- a sect which has condemned the use of Western medicine -- has been blamed for carrying out a spate of assaults on security forces in the city in recent weeks.

It is the second time this year that polio workers have come under attack by Islamist militants, after gunmen killed aid workers tackling the disease in Pakistan last month.

Some influential Muslim leaders in Kano openly oppose polio vaccination, saying it is a conspiracy against Muslim children.So....what is going to happen when only the non-Muslim children survive the next 20 years????

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 pm

So....what is going to happen when only the non-Muslim children survive the next 20 years????I am not familiar with the Koran. Does it espouse a survival of the fittest doctrine somewhere? If not, I suspect that someone came up with yet another gimmick to keep the sheep in their own pasture.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:32 pm

So....what is going to happen when only the non-Muslim children survive the next 20 years????I am not familiar with the Koran. Does it espouse a survival of the fittest doctrine somewhere? If not, I suspect that someone came up with yet another gimmick to keep the sheep in their own pasture.Some of them dabble in the Muslim version of "Creationism". Like they were there to see it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I hate antivaxers with a white-hot passion. I would not mind in the least if they died of their own stupidity.Where I draw the line is where the rest of us, including our children and even theirs, get to die of their murderous stupidity.

Norbrook

Post by Norbrook » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:56 pm

This used to be the "Jenny McCarthy Body Count," but they've changed it to the [/break1]antivaccinebodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html]Anti-Vaccine Body Count.

DaveMuckey

Post by DaveMuckey » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:11 pm

I don't know why they've picked 60 as the threshold age for this immunization.My guess is some jerkoff insurance company idiot who was probably not even a doctor pulled the number out of his ass because he could increase profits by cutting how many vaccines they had to pay for.Death Panels

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:42 pm

I hate antivaxers with a white-hot passion. I would not mind in the least if they died of their own stupidity.Where I draw the line is where the rest of us, including our children and even theirs, get to die of their murderous stupidity.Interesting that most of the antivaxers most likely already have their vacinations!

Return to “Science & Technology”