Treating chronic pain

Lani

Re: Treating chronic pain

Post by Lani »

That's what I keep from people. The change is astounding.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well ... -and-shame
The link between chronic illness and shame
It’s time we look at illness-related shame in the same light as sickness — and come up with solutions.

As with any illness, you have to look at the cause before you can find a cure; the same goes for illness-related shame. Most people who experience this type of shame do so because of the way chronic sickness is perceived by others, writes Katie Willard Virant in Psychology Today.

Those who suffer from chronic illness often feel like they stand out. They may feel self-conscious about their physical appearance, special needs or having to depend on friends and family. For some, chronic illness feels like a permanent stamp on the forehead, and they may avoid social interactions altogether.

In a study published in the Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy journal, researchers at the University of Coimbra in Portugal found that fears of compassion play a large role in illness-related shame and subsequent social avoidance. Those with fears of compassion find it hard to receive help or care from others, as it makes them feel pitiful or burdensome. Because of this guilt and anxiety, they avoid talking about their illness and asking for the emotional help they need, which only further increases feelings of shame.

"Let others know what’s going on," Alicia Aiello, president of Girls With Guts, an organization dedicated to supporting women with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, told The New York Times. "People with chronic illnesses withhold information to protect themselves or others, but this can be more hurtful."
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

https://www.physics-astronomy.org/2019/ ... delic.html
US Government Commits To Psychedelic Psilocybin As “Breakthrough Treatment” For Severe Depression

Under a new designation by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), psilocybin – a hallucinogenic chemical found in psychedelic mushrooms – is now considered a “breakthrough treatment” for major depressive disorder (MDD), putting it on the “fast track” for future clinical studies.

A Breakthrough Therapy designation grants a potential treatment priority review by the FDA to further understanding of how it may treat certain disorders and illnesses. The designation was granted after a request from the Usona Institute, a nonprofit medical research group conducting research on psilocybin, in recognition that there is an unmet medical need that may be fulfilled through psilocybin’s potential to improve existing therapies.

Characterized by a persistent feeling of sadness or loss of interest, MDD is a mood disorder that affects how a person may think, feel, and behave – all of which can trickle into everyday activities, according to the Mayo Clinic. MDD impacts more than 16 million people in the US and is the leading cause of disability in those between the ages of 15 and 44, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. It is estimated that 322 million people globally live with some type of depression.

The results from previous studies clearly demonstrate the remarkable potential for psilocybin as a treatment in MDD patients, which Usona is now seeking to confirm in its own clinical trials. What is truly groundbreaking is FDA’s rightful acknowledgement that MDD, not just the much smaller treatment-resistant depression population, represents an unmet medical need and that the available data suggest that psilocybin may offer a substantial clinical improvement over existing therapies,” said Charles Raison, MD, director of Clinical and Translational Research at Usona, in a statement.
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Ehh. We have a neighbor up near the Arctic Circle. He is 23 years old and is currently on probation for possession of Psychedelic Psilocybin. He also lost his driver's license for being under the influence of it when driving. He tells me he was doing mushrooms for years. He is one of the most depressed people I know. Anecdotal, to be sure, but this "treatment" seems suspect. YMMV.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:11 pm
The Arthritis Foundation has issued guidance for adults interested in CBD for arthritis and insomnia. Great! So I went to Amazon to try some and... I’m bewildered. Prices and quanties are all over the map.:dazed: :crying:

HELP!!

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-a ... adults.php
The Pain Clinic in my local healthcare network recommended CBD for my mom to try. She's in her 90s and has severe spinal stenosis resulting in constant pain from pinched nerves.

The two CBD suppliers they recommended are CBDEssence https://cbdessence.net/ and Bluebird Botanicals https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/. Both suppliers have their products tested by third party labs, which is why the Clinic recommended them.

And yeah - this stuff isn't cheap. But I'd rather pay more if it is tested and guaranteed. This is the problem with supplements. They are not drugs. Under law, they are not required to be either safe or effective. So you're rolling the dice, unless you're willing to buy products backed up by third party lab testing.
I've heard this bull before.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:38 pm
Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:11 pm
The Arthritis Foundation has issued guidance for adults interested in CBD for arthritis and insomnia. Great! So I went to Amazon to try some and... I’m bewildered. Prices and quanties are all over the map.:dazed: :crying:

HELP!!

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-a ... adults.php
The Pain Clinic in my local healthcare network recommended CBD for my mom to try. She's in her 90s and has severe spinal stenosis resulting in constant pain from pinched nerves.

The two CBD suppliers they recommended are CBDEssence https://cbdessence.net/ and Bluebird Botanicals https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/. Both suppliers have their products tested by third party labs, which is why the Clinic recommended them.

And yeah - this stuff isn't cheap. But I'd rather pay more if it is tested and guaranteed. This is the problem with supplements. They are not drugs. Under law, they are not required to be either safe or effective. So you're rolling the dice, unless you're willing to buy products backed up by third party lab testing.
Thank you so much!
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

The FDA is very concerned about the mass marketing of CBD as something that'll cure or help anything that ails you.

What You Need to Know (And What We’re Working to Find Out) About Products Containing Cannabis or Cannabis-derived Compounds, Including CBD
  • The FDA has approved only one CBD product, a prescription drug product to treat two rare, severe forms of epilepsy.
    It is currently illegal to market CBD by adding it to a food or labeling it as a dietary supplement.
    The FDA has seen only limited data about CBD safety and these data point to real risks that need to be considered before taking CBD for any reason.
    Some CBD products are being marketed with unproven medical claims and are of unknown quality.
    The FDA will continue to update the public as it learns more about CBD.
  • CBD has the potential to harm you, and harm can happen even before you become aware of it.
    CBD can cause liver injury.
    CBD can affect the metabolism of other drugs, causing serious side effects.
    Use of CBD with alcohol or other Central Nervous System depressants increases the risk of sedation and drowsiness, which can lead to injuries.
  • CBD can cause side effects that you might notice. These side effects should improve when CBD is stopped or when the amount ingested is reduced.
    Changes in alertness, most commonly experienced as somnolence (drowsiness or sleepiness).
    Gastrointestinal distress, most commonly experienced as diarrhea and/or decreased appetite.
    Changes in mood, most commonly experienced as irritability and agitation.
  • There are many important aspects about CBD that we just don’t know, such as:
    What happens if you take CBD daily for sustained periods of time?
    What is the effect of CBD on the developing brain (such as children who take CBD)?
    What are the effects of CBD on the developing fetus or breastfed newborn?
    How does CBD interact with herbs and botanicals?
    Does CBD cause male reproductive toxicity in humans, as has been reported in studies of animals?
More info at the link.
I've heard this bull before.

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://psychcentral.com/blog/letting-go-of-control/
Letting Go of Control

There is no way to avoid stressors in life. Stress has always been there and would always be there and I wasn’t going to be able to control that, and to an extent, I also realized that I wasn’t going to be able to control the anxiety that accompanied those stressors. And so, for the first time, I made the conscious decision to let go.

I let go of my attempts to micromanage even the smallest events in my life, I let go of being upset about other people, I let go of all of the events happening throughout the world that I could not impact, and I let go of the feelings of unfairness I had been hanging on to all of these years.

I let go of trying to control everything around me and began to focus my time, attention, and motivation on myself. Now, this isn’t a magic fix of course. I obviously still face stressors and, to be honest, I still feel my heart flutter and stomach turn every time the anxious feeling creeps back in. But letting go of trying to be in control allowed me to welcome these situations and feelings with open arms, and place the focus of my control instead on my response.

Now I — not my anxiety — am the one to decide how I am going to respond in the face of stress. I admit that sometimes I still get caught up in wanting to avoid triggers to my anxiety, but when I find myself cycling I pull back and re-focus on myself, my interpretation, and my response. Letting go of the things I couldn’t control, turning inward, and refocusing on myself, my response, and what I put into the world saved me from succumbing to my own anxiety.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeah:

:bighug:

I have been taking my own small steps in the letting-go direction. I'm a fan.

I do not have chronic pain, so maybe I shouldn't be chirping up, except to say: carry on, enjoy the moments, and keep us posted. :heart:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Science & Technology”