Treating chronic pain

AndyinPA

Re: Treating chronic pain

Post by AndyinPA » Thu May 30, 2019 10:41 am

Off Topic
Weird, off topic. I get the migraine auras without the migraines. I thought it was something wrong with my eyes, so I told my optometrist about it years ago and he told me what it actually was.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 30, 2019 10:41 am

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health ... -headache/
Is It a Migraine or a Another Headache? How to Tell the Difference, According to Neurologists

Is a migraine just a bad headache?
No, migraines are a neurological disorder that affect 39 million people in the U.S. Often difficult to prevent and treat, it can make you miss work and other obligations.

"The headache of a migraine tends to be moderate to severe," says, Lawrence Newman, M.D., neurologist and director of the Headache Division at NYU Langone Health. "It’s associated with nausea and vomiting, or light and sound sensitivity. Typically, it prohibits you from routine activities — you want to lie down or rest until the attack goes away — and a migraine can last 4 to 72 hours, so it’s pretty impressive in its ability to do harm."

What happens in the brain during a migraine?
A migraine can start when the trigeminal nerve, which supplies sensation to the head, gets activated. "When that nerve gets excited, there’s a release of certain chemicals that cause the blood vessels and the covering of the brain to become swollen," Dr. Newman says. "Then other chemicals get released to cause inflammation around there. That’s why it hurts so much." That pain then gets carried up into different areas of the brain, causing sensitivity to light and sound, nausea, and other side effects.

To ward off migraine attacks, Dr. Newman recommends following the mnemonic SEEDS:

Sleep: Get enough sleep and follow roughly the same schedule every day.
Eating: Have three regular meals per day.
Exercise: Work out at least three days per week.
Drinking: Stay hydrated and avoid too much caffeine and alcohol.
Stress Reduction: Try yoga, biofeedback, or other mindfulness exercises.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 30, 2019 10:42 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:41 am
Off Topic
Weird, off topic. I get the migraine auras without the migraines. I thought it was something wrong with my eyes, so I told my optometrist about it years ago and he told me what it actually was.
That's interesting.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu May 30, 2019 11:00 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:41 am
Off Topic
My husband does also.

Return to “Science & Technology”