kate520

Re: Diabetes - lets talk

Post by kate520 »

Roadscholar :bighug: :bighug:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

After thirty years with this disease, the thing that stays with me is that there are any number of dire things that can happen, and all you can do are the things that you have been told to do your whole life. It's like some satanic version of Good Morning America.

"Hi viewers, today we have Dr. Goodwell, who will talk to you about the importance of eating the right foods, getting proper exercide, sleeping well, and avoiding alcohol, so you won't DIE BLIND AND LEGLESS OF HEART FAILURE. Doctor?"

"Thank you. Here is a picture of a foot with gangrene..."

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I have good news on the diabetes front. In May they took me off of short acting insulin and I had to drop my carb intake to around 20 grams per meal, but over the last three months I've had to steadily increase my intake to keep my blood sugars from tanking. I'm back up to 40 to 50 grams per meal and can eat somewhat more with little impact so it would appear that my pancreas is starting to produce more insulin on its own. I had a doctor appointment yesterday and they took me off the 25 units of Lantus (long-acting insulin) I was taking nightly and increased my Metformin dosage by 50%. We'll see how this goes but they told me that this shouldn't be as large a shift in diet as when they took me off the short-acting insulin. The downside is that every time they screw with my medications I feel like hell for at least a couple of weeks while my body adapts. Anyway, no more insulin is a very, very good thing.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

My A1C was 5.5 (normal) week before last and my doc took away the glimepiride because he doesn't want my blood sugar going too low. Second time this year I got to stop taking a medication.

Oh, and I weighed 194.6 yesterday, down from 235 in January. :boxing: :thumbs:
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

(opens a Fogbow contribution page on PayPal)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:thumbs:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

It was a year ago today that I landed in the hospital with undiagnosed diabetes. I was in bad enough shape that I couldn't walk into the emergency room under my own power. I left the hospital on Christmas Eve on 25 units of long-acting insulin and 1000 mg of Metformin a day and 7 units of short-acting insulin with each meal. I'm happy to report that as of about 5 weeks ago I'm no longer taking any diabetes medication, my A1C has been 5.1 or 5.2 since March, and I've lost 78 pounds. It hasn't all been smooth sailing as I tend to be sensitive to medication and have battled with various side effects most of the year. I didn't really start to feel completely normal until I stopped taking Metformin last month.

I still have to watch my diet and keeping my blood sugar numbers in range has become a bit more of a challenge. I tend to wake up with numbers that are a bit higher than I would like and then they drop fairly dramatically during the day. It's very unpredictable, but by mid-afternoon I'm frequently in the 70s and have to take action to push my numbers up. The next day I'll be fine on largely the same carb intake. I have no idea what that's all about. Overall, my daily carb intake is slowly increasing and I'm looking for ways to increase carbs in small amounts without increasing calories. This is a new challenge I hadn't anticipated. One other odd thing is that while rice and bread no longer cause me much trouble pasta still invariably causes my numbers to spike.

I feel very fortunate that I've made this much progress in a year. I feel that a large part of it was luck that my pancreas has been able to recover to this extent but I also think I played a part. I've worked very hard to keep my numbers in the 90s on a consistent basis and they only breached 100 a couple of times a week. My doctor would have been very happy if they were below 110 most of the time. I think this played a part in my recovery. Now I just have to maintain my gains and find a way to lose a bit more weight.

Anyway, that's my not-so-sad little story.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that's awesome, Shizzle Popped. Seventy eight pounds! You're gonna need a whole new wardrobe for the new skinny you!
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

(opens a Fogbow contribution page on PayPal)

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I was stupidly overweight. I've had to buy new clothes three times this year. There are worse things than having to replace your wardrobe a few times. :)

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi »

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:03 pm
I was stupidly overweight. I've had to buy new clothes three times this year. There are worse things than having to replace your wardrobe a few times. :)
Two words to say it all. "Stupidly overweight ". If only the hundreds of millions of people worldwide who are "stupidly overweight" as well were able to see themselves like that and do what you have done.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.
"From Not To Hot " is not my Favorite TV Show

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

So, my doc says my AIC dropped to 6 and he was happy.

However, since I started taking insulin (Fiasp for meals and Tjueho for overnight) I have gained 45 lbs.

WHY did I gain weight

I think it has more to do with stopping Remicade and starting Stelara. I Have not had a major flare since April Maybe I eat more and it doesn't run through me like it did with Remicade.

I am going to go on a diet in Jan as well as my hubby

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:03 pm
Congratulations, Shizzle Popped!

My strange diabetes story...I’ve been diabetic since I was in my mid-thirties. They called me a 1 and a 1/2. I was thin, fit, and ate a healthy diet. I was able to control my blood sugars for decades with diet, exercise, and metformin. I had two serious bouts with cancer and cancer treatments. I don’t know if that’s what affected it, but now my diabetes is out of control! I take Janumet (50 mg Januvia and 1000 mg Metformin) twice a day and 25 mg of Jardiance once a day. The Lantus wasn’t strong enough, so I’m up to 160 units of Toujeo per day and 10 to 20 units of Novo Rapid with/after meals, depending on my blood sugar levels. With all this, I’m happy to have a level of 13 mmol (235-250). My doctor thinks my pancreas is becoming immune to the insulin.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

is the swelling of my ankles and my feet aching all a part of this?

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

sad-cafe wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:41 pm
is the swelling of my ankles and my feet aching all a part of this?
Maybe, sure. Poor circulation and nerve pain in your feet are certainly things you get with diabetes. At least, I do and my daughter does.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I knew I was was grossly overweight and was too stupid to do anything about it until I was diagnosed. That was the wake-up call I needed and was probably a blessing in disguise. My best friend in high school was a brittle diabetic so I was already well educated about the long-term issues.

My daughter was diagnosed type 1 when she was 30. The doctors said something about the possibility of a virus but didn't really seem to know what caused it. Hers has been very difficult to control. I realize that I'll probably end up going back on medication someday but the longer I can delay that the better.

Sad-cafe, the swelling can be part of diabetes but it can be other things. Please have it checked just to be sure.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Thank you.

I see my Endo doc tomorrow. I will ask him.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I got diagnosed with Type 2 about a month ago. My A1C was 8.3. My doctor wanted to put me on medication and a statin for high cholesterol.

I said, "NOOOOOO!!! I don't want to go on any medication!"

He said, "Well, I have good news for you. You don't have to. BUT you do have to test your blood sugar every day and you have to stop eating bread and you have to stop drinking beer and you have to exercise more, and you have to, and you have to, and you have to. And if you do all this stuff, your A1C and your cholesterol will return to normal."

So, I quit the beer and the bread. I started seeing a dietitian and I'm testing my blood sugar and I'm paying attention to what I eat and so far I've only had one spike in blood sugar over 180 (it was after eating an entire apple and it went up to 219), but my average is around 120.

I've actually embraced the blood testing. I like knowing the effect that certain foods are having. It helps to make healthier choices when you see the evidence staring you in the face.

My problem is fear. Since I got alpha-gal from the lone star tick and my last reaction landed me in the ER (and I have *no idea* what I ate to cause that since I don't intentionally eat anything that can trigger a reaction), plus this diabetes diagnosis, I'm kind of afraid to eat. And some days (like today) I don't eat enough because eating healthy requires planning (which I suck at), and since I don't want to plan, I just don't eat. And that's just as bad as eating too much, or eating too much of the wrong thing.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I spend a lot more time (and money) on food than I used to. Breakfast used to be whatever was quick; Cereal, oatmeal...Pop Tarts, and a Mountain Dew. After I was diagnosed my standard breakfast for months was bacon, eggs, cottage cheese, no sugar added fruit cups and a slice of toast. This had enough moving parts that I could add or subtract carbs based on my first reading of the day. I found early on that if I set things on the right course with breakfast then keeping my numbers in line the rest of the day was much easier. Now that my carb intake is increasing I've cut out the bacon and switched to fresh fruit, which is a very welcome change.

I still test my blood four times a day even though my doctor says I don't need to. Keeping my numbers in the 90s is a little bit of a challenge and I use the data from the readings to make decisions about every single meal. I have my own self-imposed cap of 100 on where I want my numbers but if I'm not careful they can drop into the 70s which really makes me feel like hell. This is complicated a bit by the fact that the test strips are only somewhat accurate and can be off by 5 or 10 percent on a fairly regular basis and way off occasionally. One night I got a reading of 196 before bed which I quickly called bullshit on as I knew where I was before dinner and what I had eaten. I knew the number was going to be higher than normal that night but it shouldn't have been nearly that high. I immediately retested and got a reading of 112 which was more in line with what I was expecting to see.

All that said, while I manage my diet pretty tightly on a daily basis I don't feel like I've really given up much. I spend more time on food but I eat better food and I enjoy my meals more than I did. I've never been a fast food junkie so I didn't have to give up a McDonald's habit or anything but I did eat an awful lot of frozen and prepared foods. Most of that crap has a lot of carbs in it so it all had to go. I eat a lot more fresh and freshly prepared food now and it just tastes better. So, yeah, I don't miss the old diet and don't see ever going back to it. Oh, and I do find ways to eat special treats. It's the holidays and there are homemade cookies in the house. It's amazing how quickly you can put together a nearly carb-free lunch when you want to have a couple of cookies for desert. :-D

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

Once you get the diet figured out, it feels great. I didn’t get hungry or crave food outside of my planned meals and snacks. It was great not feeling too hungry or too full. My only complaint was not indulging in other people’s birthday cakes. I never craved icing until I couldn’t have it!

I’m glad you’re enjoying the new diet, Shizzle Popped. This type of diet is really yummy.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://newatlas.com/medical/trigger-ty ... /?amp=true
New research uncovers potential trigger for Type 2 diabetes

It was long thought that high glucose levels – most commonly caused by eating too much sugary and fatty foods – was the trigger for the beta cells to begin overproducing insulin. But it’s also been shown in the past that even beta cells isolated in a lab dish can over-secrete insulin, without glucose playing a part.

So the team on the new study investigated what else could be causing beta cells to overproduce insulin. In tests on obese, pre-diabetic mice, the researchers discovered a new, separate molecular pathway that can induce insulin secretion without glucose. Instead, the trigger appears to be fatty acids.

When levels of these fatty acids rose too high in the mice, a protein called Cyclophilin D (CypD) caused protons to “leak” into the mitochondria of the beta cells. This triggers them to boost production of insulin.

To check the mechanism, the team then engineered mice without the gene that codes for CypD, and found that their insulin stayed at regular levels.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:40 am
https://newatlas.com/medical/trigger-ty ... /?amp=true
New research uncovers potential trigger for Type 2 diabetes

It was long thought that high glucose levels – most commonly caused by eating too much sugary and fatty foods – was the trigger for the beta cells to begin overproducing insulin. But it’s also been shown in the past that even beta cells isolated in a lab dish can over-secrete insulin, without glucose playing a part.

So the team on the new study investigated what else could be causing beta cells to overproduce insulin. In tests on obese, pre-diabetic mice, the researchers discovered a new, separate molecular pathway that can induce insulin secretion without glucose. Instead, the trigger appears to be fatty acids.

When levels of these fatty acids rose too high in the mice, a protein called Cyclophilin D (CypD) caused protons to “leak” into the mitochondria of the beta cells. This triggers them to boost production of insulin.

To check the mechanism, the team then engineered mice without the gene that codes for CypD, and found that their insulin stayed at regular levels.
Sorry for swearing, TRL, but O. My. Fucking. God. If every single thing I eat is causing diabetes, how can I ever get it under control?

My dietician keeps telling me I don’t get enough fatty acids, so I choke down the fish oil and olive oil. I’ll still do that, because cutting the carbs has brought my numbers down. So for me, at least, I don’t really think it’s fatty acids. But I’m going to ask her what she thinks of the article.

Anyhoo, my biggest dietary challenge is vegetables. I hate them with a white-hot passion. Except for tomatoes. I love tomatoes. I love everything you can make out of tomatoes (except raw — I don’t like them raw).

One of my go-to meals is spicy chicken tomato soup. I take a 10-oz can of Rotel diced tomatoes with chilis (usually store brand is cheaper and quality is comparable). I puree that in the blender, and have been adding cooked carrots in increasing amounts each time - currently at 3 oz, which doesn’t seem like a lot, but for someone for whom there previously wasn’t enough money in the world to entice me to eat carrots in any amount, 3 oz is huge!

Then I add a cup of hot chicken broth (Better Than Bullion is da bomb). And a 4.5 oz can of chicken breast (I actually can my own chicken as a hobby, but sometimes I use store-bought).

I blend it til smooth, then heat it in the microwave. It’s a lot of soup, but has 21g protein, only 17g carbs (5 of which are fiber), and 3.5 g fat. Snd it is deliciously yummy, especially this time of year.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks for the recipe!

Hubby was hospitalized the week of Thanksgiving. His sugar level was up to 800. Two weeks before his doc changed his meds cuz he had been on Metformin for over 20 years. His A1C level was not good either. Now he takes one long-lasting insulin shot per day and a short acting insulin shot before each meal.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Return to “Science & Technology”