Suicide

RTH10260

Re: Suicide

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:55 pm

oldie
Catholic priest at teenager's funeral condemns suicide
15 December 2018

Father Don LaCuesta used the funeral at Our Lady of Mount Carmel church in Temperance, Michigan to condemn suicide
Parents of a teenage boy who took his own life have complained after their Catholic priest criticised him at the funeral for killing himself.

Father Don LaCuesta in the service questioned whether Maison Hullibarger, 18, would enter heaven, horrifying his parents and family.

The Archdiocese of Detroit have relieved Father LaCuesta from funeral duties, but the family want him fired.

Catholicism has traditionally taught that suicide is an unforgiveable sin.

https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46578619

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:46 am

This news is so sad in a "why oh why oh why??" way: France24: USA's three-time cycling world champ Catlin dead at 23:
American cyclist Kelly Catlin, a three-time world champion and 2016 Rio Olympic runner-up in team pursuit, has died at age 23, USA Cycling confirmed Sunday.

Catlin was part of the US team pursuit squads that captured world titles in 2016, 2017 and 2018 but she withdrew from the American team that failed to defend the title February 27-28 at the 2019 worlds in Poland.
[…]
A report in VeloNews on Sunday said Catlin committed suicide on Thursday night, citing an e-mail from her father Mark and Facebook posting from her brother Colin.
Many articles around the web on this. Cycling News reports:
She graduated from the University of Minnesota in 2018 with degrees in Biomedical Engineering and Chinese, and she was attending Stanford University in pursuit of a graduate degree in Computational and Mathematical Engineering. On February 27, VeloNews published a journal by Catlin chronicling the challenges of balancing her education with training and riding for the national team at a world-class level.
She was apparently also a musician, so clearly a very talented and determined young woman. This suicide seems so unnecessary, pointless and avoidable.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:02 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:46 am
This news is so sad in a "why oh why oh why??" way: France24: USA's three-time cycling world champ Catlin dead at 23:
American cyclist Kelly Catlin, a three-time world champion and 2016 Rio Olympic runner-up in team pursuit, has died at age 23, USA Cycling confirmed Sunday.

She was apparently also a musician, so clearly a very talented and determined young woman. This suicide seems so unnecessary, pointless and avoidable.
She had recently suffered a concussion and was still struggling with its symptoms, so that's probably a big part of it. Plus, reading her bio, sounds like she was doing the overachiever thing to the point of destroying herself. It's great to be able to do all kinds of things, but the cumulative time and effort required for each pursuit leaves one very little time to sleep, much less to just kick back and be.
I've heard this bull before.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am

As a purely recreational cyclist (albeit a slightly obsessive one), Kelly Catlin's death is hitting me very hard this morning. :(
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:01 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am
As a purely recreational cyclist (albeit a slightly obsessive one), Kelly Catlin's death is hitting me very hard this morning. :(
:bighug:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks DejaMoo — I hadn't read anything about the concussion, but it's clearly a type of injury which isn't yet well-enough understood and definitely can put one's mind out of balance.

I agree that she was clearly an over-achiever, but how much that was a factor, who knows? I can't claim to understand that mindset as I've always been content with the upper half of the pile, never striving to be numero uno or to beat everybody else.

It's so sad, but I also hope none of her friends, colleagues and relatives are blaming themselves. The dead person is rarely the only victim of their suicide.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 am

U.S. death rates from suicides, alcohol and drug overdoses reach all-time high
West Virginia and Ohio far outpace other states in drug overdose death rates.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... d_nn_tw_ma
"When we look at what’s going on in mid-Atlantic states — West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania — those are the states that have the the highest rates of drug overdose deaths in the country," David Radley, a senior scientist for the Commonwealth Fund, said. Rates in those states are at least double the national average of fatal drug overdose rates.

West Virginia had the highest drug overdose death rates, fueled mostly by the opioid epidemic. What's more, those rates rose by 450 percent between 2005 and 2017, according to the report."The rate of growth in drug overdose deaths in West Virginia is absolutely mind-boggling," Radley told NBC News.

It's not just prescription painkillers and heroin that are driving these death rates. The study authors also point to fentanyl and other potent synthetic opioids that are creeping into illicit drugs such as cocaine. Fentanylis similar to morphine, but 50 to 100 times more potent, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

:snippity:

Death rates from suicide and alcohol also showed regional disparities. People died at higher rates by suicide or from alcohol than from drugs in Montana, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Oregon and Wyoming.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Science & Technology”