Astronomy and Space

RVInit

Astronomy and Space

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:36 pm

I thought we needed a specific astronomy topic. I have three telescopes and I think we have other members who also enjoy astronomy.

Here is a post about the next Mars rover mission. Very cool.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Astronomy

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Great idea!!!!!! "Why reach for the moon when we have the stars?"

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Re: Astronomy

Post by RVInit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Nasa LIVE starting at 1 PM to talk about a mission to send up lots of equipment to the ISS

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:39 pm

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 pm

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 pm

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 pm

This little guy is impressive for a three year old.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:30 pm

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:34 pm

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 pm

A useful website for looking at things in the sky is www.heavens-above.com. if you make an account with your location it'll give you times and star charts for planets, comets, the ISS and other satellites.

Image Image Image Image Image

vic

Post by vic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 pm
A useful website for looking at things in the sky is www.heavens-above.com. if you make an account with your location it'll give you times and star charts for planets, comets, the ISS and other satellites.
Thanks for the reminder! I used to go there to get information on Iridium Flares. Iridium is a network of low-altitude satellites which were launched to support sat-phones. The satellites are very reflective, and their paths and orientation are carefully maintained; when the geometry is right, you can see a bright flash in the sky for a few seconds; some are even visible in daylight. When you see one, it reminds you of the energy ribbon in Star Trek: Generations.

About 10 years ago, one was predicted to be very bright and visible my my house at around 4pm or so. I asked one of my neighbors, a retired engineer who had been a flight navigator in WW II, to come out and told him to look at a certain point in the sky. He thought this was silly, but agreed. After about a minute, the flash appeared and moved for a few degrees across the sky and then disappeared. It was very satisfying.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:38 am

RVInit wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:34 pm
This looks like a Van Gogh or even a Dali painting. Maybe they saw things others didn't.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:16 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-BBGhjov
Mysterious Clouds Racing Through Milky Way Discovered

Australian astronomer Tobias Westmeier, from the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research, used a high-resolution image of the sky to produce the most sensitive map of high-velocity clouds ever—the 'all-sky map.'

Using the map, he was able to highlight the high-velocity clouds, which are moving different speeds to the Milky Way. His results are published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
BBGfqkW.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 am

RVInit wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:36 pm
I thought we needed a specific astronomy topic. I have three telescopes and I think we have other members who also enjoy astronomy.
I am always really envious of people who can do backyard astronomy. Way too much light pollution in my neck of the woods.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 am

neeneko wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 am
RVInit wrote:
I am always really envious of people who can do backyard astronomy. Way too much light pollution in my neck of the woods.
I can see a few things of the larger objects from where I live now, but what I find most fun is getting to a really dark place and finding galaxies. I used to be active in an astronomy club and we used to go to a state park every month, closest to new moon. During most of that time I was using a 10" Newtonian (my medium sized scope) and they used to joke that I had a go-to device hidden somewhere on my scope because I got to be really good at finding obscure and small objects. I have a huge book of star charts and I can literally lose myself for hours searching out and finding smaller galaxies and nebulae.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 am
I can see a few things of the larger objects from where I live now, but what I find most fun is getting to a really dark place and finding galaxies. I used to be active in an astronomy club and we used to go to a state park every month, closest to new moon. During most of that time I was using a 10" Newtonian (my medium sized scope) and they used to joke that I had a go-to device hidden somewhere on my scope because I got to be really good at finding obscure and small objects. I have a huge book of star charts and I can literally lose myself for hours searching out and finding smaller galaxies and nebulae.
Hrm. I should really give it another try sometime, figure out what I can actually see or not. Though sometimes I have thought about getting into solar stuff since, well, the sun is usually pretty easy to see ^_^

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm

neeneko wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 am
Hrm. I should really give it another try sometime, figure out what I can actually see or not. Though sometimes I have thought about getting into solar stuff since, well, the sun is usually pretty easy to see ^_^
A couple of our club members have solar scopes. It is really cool, you can see prominences, black spots, and some granularity even using the smallest of the available sun scopes. Also, it's pretty cool to see one of the planet transits. Catching the ISS transit it pretty cool too, passes very quickly though.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm
uple of our club members have solar scopes. It is really cool, you can see prominences, black spots, and some granularity even using the smallest of the available sun scopes. Also, it's pretty cool to see one of the planet transits. Catching the ISS transit it pretty cool too, passes very quickly though.
*nod* one of my hobbies involves UV photography, so it has always been kinda appealing to try taking solar pictures.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:02 pm

neeneko wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:16 pm
uple of our club members have solar scopes. It is really cool, you can see prominences, black spots, and some granularity even using the smallest of the available sun scopes. Also, it's pretty cool to see one of the planet transits. Catching the ISS transit it pretty cool too, passes very quickly though.
*nod* one of my hobbies involves UV photography, so it has always been kinda appealing to try taking solar pictures.
Very cool. When you spring for the scope you will have to share your Sun photos. I would love to see them.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:14 pm

When I get stressed I like to mosey on over to to https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ and look at the Astronomy Picture of the Day. I don’t know anything about the cosmos, but I sure like looking at them purty pitchers.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:14 pm
When I get stressed I like to mosey on over to to www.apod.nasa.gov and look at the Astronomy Picture of the Day. I don’t know anything about the cosmos, but I sure like looking at them purty pitchers.
That is usually my first stop of the day. At the very top left is a link, called Discover the Cosmos, that takes you to an index of all the photos. It's great to go back and browse through from time to time. Here's the link for that https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
When I get stressed I like to mosey on over to to www.apod.nasa.gov and look at the Astronomy Picture of the Day. I don’t know anything about the cosmos, but I sure like looking at them purty pitchers.
Destressing by looking at putty purty pitchers is right down my alley! Move over Manet and Van Gogh I gots starz to see.

Finally fixed it.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm

neeneko wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 am
RVInit wrote:
Well then allow me to brag. We can see not one, not two, but three galaxies from our back yard, according to my physics geek sister, who pointed out all three to us when she visited. There is zero light pollution here.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
That is usually my first stop of the day. At the very top left is a link, called Discover the Cosmos, that takes you to an index of all the photos. It's great to go back and browse through from time to time. Here's the link for that https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html
I will have to check that out.

Best wall decor value evah: I recently came across a new enhanced Hubble image of the "Pillars of Creation" in the Eagle Nebula. I downloaded the high-res from the STSI page and spent a bank-breaking $6 to have it printed at Costco Photo in a 16x20 format. A $20 frame from Michael's and I'm in business. If you want to do this yourself, go here: https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1501a/

Return to “Science & Technology”