Climate Change

Lani

Re: Climate Change

Post by Lani » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Defying Trump, Hawaii Becomes First State to Pass Law Committing to Paris Climate Accord
Hawaii on Tuesday became the first state to pass a law committing to the goals and limits of the Paris climate accord, defying President Trump, who announced last week that he would withdraw the United States from the historic agreement.

The state’s governor, David Y. Ige, signed two bills at a ceremony at the state’s capitol rotunda in Honolulu. One of the bills was explicitly geared toward reducing greenhouse gas emissions in accordance with the landmark goals adopted by world leaders with the Paris Agreement in 2015. ...
:snippity:
“Many of the greatest challenges of our day hit us first, and that means that we also need to be first when it comes to creating solutions,” Mr. Ige, a Democrat in his first term as governor, said in remarks before the signing. “We are the testing grounds — as an island state, we are especially aware of the limits of our natural environment.”
Hawaii is on the front lines of climate change, so much so that in September, President Barack Obama used it as the base from which to discuss his legacy on the issue, as well as the continued threat from rising seas, extreme weather and other byproducts of a warming planet. A report published by the Environmental Protection Agency last August named a shortage of fresh water, ocean acidification and shoreline loss as threats that the state faces as a result of climate change.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/clim ... .html?_r=0
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Moar. :thumbs: when it's down to a handful of states that won't comply Trump's coal company stocks will become worthless.

Actually no company in their right mind will build a dirty plant. They know what's in store in four years.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:48 am

ZekeB wrote:Moar. :thumbs: when it's down to a handful of states that won't comply Trump's coal company stocks will become worthless.

Actually no company in their right mind will build a dirty plant. They know what's in store in four years.
In any case cleaner fuels are so cheap just now that coal is not competitive.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am

I've been to West Virginia four times. It's beautiful country with potential for so many things. Trump and his coal only gives those people false hopes for a dying way of life. Improve the education systems there and encourage new industries instead of clinging to the old ways. Even Wyoming, which produces a substantial amount of coal, is more diversified.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm

ZekeB wrote:I've been to West Virginia four times. It's beautiful country with potential for so many things. Trump and his coal only gives those people false hopes for a dying way of life. Improve the education systems there and encourage new industries instead of clinging to the old ways. Even Wyoming, which produces a substantial amount of coal, is more diversified.
I live 70 miles from the WV line, so I've been through and stayed there a lot. It is beautiful country, but they literally hide the mountain-top mining. It's not visible from any of the highways I've ever been on, but I know where some of the mountain-top mining is done and I've been close.

Coal has always been king there, but you are right, they need to realize that coal is over. They don't seem to realize that the disappeared mountains did a lot to destroy their jobs. It takes very few men to destroy a mountain. Add fracking to that, and the demand for coal is just gone. I know people who grew up in mining families. They just can't seem to get past it, even if men in their families died because of the mines. I don't understand that. Pittsburgh was once heavily dependent on steel, but people here understood that when it was gone, it was gone. My dad lost his job and most of his pension. We have moved on.

If anything, over the last 10-15 years it seems only to have gotten worse in WV. I can remember when it was a Democratic state. There were strong unions there; those days are gone.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:35 pm

No, coal is not over. I told my teenage boys, forget about college, you'll never get out of debt. Y'all need to be trained as coal miners, that's the future. Trump is gonna bring those jobs back! :dance:
If dogs run free, why not we?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Foggy wrote:No, coal is not over. I told my teenage boys, forget about college, you'll never get out of debt. Y'all need to be trained as coal miners, that's the future. Trump is gonna bring those jobs back! :dance:
Oops! I forgot!

:rotflmao:

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Here is a short documentary on West Virginia. The situation there is awful. The good union coal jobs are all gone and they are not coming back. Mountain top removal mining is scaring the landscape for generations. Prescription pain killer abuse is epidemic beyond comprehension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwWWG0RB7B0
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks for posting that. I watched it and I think I've seen it before. These people have really been screwed with a capital S.

:(

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am

The Larsen C ice shelf collapse hammers home the reality of climate change

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topsto ... id=U142DHP

:snippity: The entire Larsen Ice shelf, which is the fourth largest in Antarctica, covers nearly 50,000 square km (20,000 square miles) according to reporting at ABC science. The ice on the land upstream of the shelf is enough to raise sea level, eventually, by ten centimeters. This is not, by itself, a major threat to the world’s coastlines, but it reveals the path that other, even larger areas are likely to take in the future. :snippity:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Sea level rise presents an enormous threat to Mar-a-Lago and other properties situated below projected sea levels. There is, however, an even greater threat in the oceans. Much of climate science and much of its criticism focus on the film of atmosphere in which we survive. The oceans matter more.

This is the thermohaline circulation or the great ocean conveyor belt. It moves energy from one part of the world to other parts. It is largely responsible for Scandinavia and the British isles being habitable. (We knew that as the Gulf Stream.) It has enormous effects on the timing, volume, and form of precipitation, including in famine-prone regions of Africa. It has been called the Achilles Heel of climate change. It is driven by water temperature and salinity.

We now know that these ocean currents can change in geologically short times. It was found that the current that heats Europe had previously changed in just thousands of years. Now we suspect that melting of Greenland's glaciers can by the infusion of freshwater drastically change the salinity of this current, perhaps changing it (or shutting it down) in a few decades. http://history.aip.org/climate https://stephenschneider.stanford.edu/P ... oceans.htm

One of Kim Stanley Robinson's climate change novels has the global reinsurance companies coming to the rescue of humanity. They stand to disappear if the North Atlantic current stops. Under the direction of the U.S. National Science Foundation, they arrange to transport many tons of salt from the land (e.g., from the ancient ocean under Michigan) to the Arctic, dumping their cargo and going back for more. Whether it works I won't say.

Wally Broecker deserves much of the credit for discovering this phenomenon.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks! Ocean currents are fascinating.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:52 am

Time to rethink any plans you may have to buy real estate in southern Louisiana.

Scientists say the rapid sinking of Louisiana’s coast already counts as a ‘worst case scenario’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... 780b9d5bd8
A new paper, published Wednesday in the Geological Society of America’s bulletin GSA Today, includes an updated map of the Louisiana coastline and the rate at which it’s sinking into the sea, a process scientists call “subsidence,” which occurs in addition to the climate change-caused process of sea-level rise. The new map suggests that, on average, the Louisiana coast is sinking at a rate of about 9 millimeters, or just over a third of an inch, per year — a faster rate than previous studies have suggested, according to the authors.

“I think it’s a point worth making that we are finding here that what people recently have considered worst case scenarios are actually conditions that we already see right now,” said Torbjörn Törnqvist, a geologist at Tulane University and a co-author on the new paper.
http://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/grou ... rticle.htm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 am

Volkonski wrote:Time to rethink any plans you may have to buy real estate in southern Louisiana.

Scientists say the rapid sinking of Louisiana’s coast already counts as a ‘worst case scenario’

http://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/grou ... rticle.htm
From the paper, this event seems to be human induced:
Low-elevation coastal zones (LECZs) are among the most vulnerable landscapes within the context of climate-driven accelerated sea-level rise, often exacerbated by other human impacts as well as high subsidence rates. Predictions of rates of relative sea-level rise (RSLR) in such settings depend to a considerable extent on our ability to monitor present-day subsidence rates—including their spatial pattern—at the land surface. Obtaining such data is challenging; space-based techniques (e.g., InSAR) struggle in non-urbanized landscapes and to date only few of such studies have provided useful results (e.g., Strozzi et al., 2013). Here we combine recently published subsidence data, collected by different yet complementary methods, to produce a novel subsidence map for coastal Louisiana, one of the world’s most vulnerable LECZs.

While a variety of factors have contributed to Louisiana’s wetland loss problem, the fundamental culprit is the isolation of the sediment-delivery system (the Mississippi River) from its delta plain and the adjacent coastal zone due to the construction of flood-protection levees. As a result, the majority of the sediment carried by this system is funneled into the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, rather than offsetting the naturally occurring high subsidence rates. A landmark study (Blum and Roberts, 2009) has shown that this problem is likely to worsen in the future due to limited sediment loads and accelerated sea-level rise.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:51 am

Tangier Island is losing up to 16 feet of land per year. The population is 86% pro-Trump. Trump decided to call the mayor.
Eskridge told the president that Tangier Island is "a huge supporter of Donald Trump. ... This is a Trump island; we really love you down here."
Eskridge continued: "I said, 'The stuff you are doing is just common-sense stuff.' I said, 'I believe you're for the working man — and you want people to get back to work — you're for the military, and Israel and religious liberties — It's all the stuff that we value.' I said, 'I believe you came along for such a time as this.' "
According to Eskridge, the president also addressed the issue of sea-level rise as it affects Tangier.
"He said not to worry about sea-level rise," Eskridge said. "He said, 'Your island has been there for hundreds of years, and I believe your island will be there for hundreds more.' "
http://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/2 ... 391375001/
:brickwallsmall:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:36 am

The Mississippi has always wanted to move. It carries large quantities of what should become new land. But because we wanted to put industries, towns, and farms where the Mississippi used to wander, we built levees. Failures of levees caused death and destruction, as in Katrina. But that mostly occurred where poor or Black people lived, so we in power could and did tolerate it. Hartford Courant September 18, 2005 My Streets, My People Of Marvel And Magic Will Rise by Noel Cazenave http://articles.courant.com/2005-09-18/ ... st-katrina

The amount of ecological damage that the US Army Corps of Engineers has caused in the interest of promoting economic growth may be incalculable. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... s/2981273/
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 pm

I think many of us read the story of the high level scientist, Joel Clement, who was reassigned from his work relating to climate change to the accounting department that collects checks from the oil and gas industry.

Here is an interview with him on PBS

[bbvideo=560,315]
[/bbvideo]
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Politico
Sources: Trump administration to deliver notice it intends to withdraw from Paris climate deal

The Trump administration will release a formal notice Friday outlining the United States’ intention to withdraw from the Paris climate change agreement, two sources familiar with the issue said.

The notice, which will be released by the State Department and transmitted by the U.S. delegation to the United Nations, will be the first written notice that the administration plans to pull out of the 2015 pact, which has won the support of nearly 200 nations.

Trump announced in June that the U.S. will leave the agreement.

Under the terms of the agreement, the U.S. can’t fully withdraw until Nov. 4, 2020 — one day after the next presidential election. The next president could decide to rejoin the agreement if Trump doesn’t win a second term.

Still, Friday’s statement will nonetheless dampen international diplomats’ hopes that Trump might change his mind, or reach some kind of compromise that would allow the United States to stay in.
¡Qué vergüenza!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:04 am

That great outdoorsman, Zinke, who has control over our national monuments, had no problem with carrying out orders.

Opinions I’m a scientist. I’m blowing the whistle on the Trump administration.
I believe that every president, regardless of party, has the right and responsibility to implement his policies. But that is not what is happening here. Putting citizens in harm’s way isn’t the president’s right. Silencing civil servants, stifling science, squandering taxpayer money and spurning communities in the face of imminent danger have never made America great.

Let’s be honest: The Trump administration didn’t think my years of science and policy experience were better suited to accounts receivable. It sidelined me in the hope that I would be quiet or quit. Born and raised in Maine, I was taught to work hard and speak truth to power. Trump and Zinke might kick me out of my office, but they can’t keep me from speaking out. They might refuse to respond to the reality of climate change, but their abuse of power cannot go unanswered.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:31 pm

;)
Climate Change Researcher Describes Challenge Of Pulling Off Worldwide Global Warming Conspiracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnX0-TayVjk

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Burning MAGA hats may be the biggest contributor to climate change in the coming year.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-admi ... 1505593922
Trump Administration Won’t Withdraw from Paris Climate Deal
U.S. has stated it will ‘not renegotiate the Paris accord’ but will review its terms

NEW YORK—Trump administration officials said Saturday the U.S. wouldn’t pull out of the Paris Agreement, offering to re-engage in the international deal to fight climate change, according to the European Union’s top energy official.

The shift from President Donald Trump’s decision in June to renegotiate the landmark accord or craft a new deal came during a meeting of more than 30 ministers led by Canada, China and the European Union in Montreal.

“The U.S. has stated that they will not renegotiate the Paris accord, but they will try to review the terms on which they could be engaged under this agreement,” European Commissioner for Climate Action and Energy Miguel Arias Cañete said.
edit: Or maybe just the standard Trumpenfurer chaos.
Jonathan Swan ‏Verified account @jonathanvswan 5m5 minutes ago
Trying to verify. A senior admin official - who probably should know about this - had no idea & described WSJ report as "a complete shock."

Glenn Thrush‏ Verified account @GlennThrush 6m6 minutes ago
WH spox denies WSJ story claiming US might stay in Paris accords -- saying position hasn't changed...
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Meh, it's his negotiating technique. Keep 'em guessing. :roll: man-child.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:37 pm

:dazed: :rolleye: :pigsfly: - The Trump Presidency in 3 emojis.

All for the purpose of :mememe: :mememe: :mememe:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Maintaining Pace Of Coal Retirements And Faster Clean Energy Growth Will Yield Another Half Billion Tons Of Carbon Reduction
Regardless of who is in the White House, a new Sierra Club analysis has found dramatic reductions in carbon pollution from the U.S. electric sector are moving full speed ahead and will continue to grow, putting U.S. Paris climate targets within reach despite Trump’s intentions to exit the Paris Agreement.

The analysis shows that ongoing advocacy to replace coal ― and increasingly fracked gas ― with clean energy can slash U.S. electricity sector carbon pollution by at least another half billion tons annually between 2017 and 2025, the deadline for the U.S. to hit its 2025 Paris commitment. In spite of Trump’s directive to repeal the Clean Power Plan and the absence of any national carbon reduction strategy, the U.S. is already approximately halfway to meeting its 2025 carbon reduction commitment under the Paris Agreement. The majority of these reductions between 2005 and 2016 ― 600 million metric tons (MMT) ― have come from the electric sector, where we have led the world in retiring and replacing coal-fired power plants with clean energy and reduced electricity demand. Our updated analysis concludes that the U.S. can almost double those carbon reductions from the electric sector by another 500 MMT, as the 61 coal plants that have already announced retirement begin to come offline and as the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign continues its successful advocacy to replace another 77 coal plants with clean energy by no later than 2025.

The analysis also reveals that the U.S. can cut carbon pollution faster than was projected even six months ago. In March 2017, the Sierra Club released a report indicating that between 2016 and 2025, the U.S. could cut electric sector emissions by 478 MMT. We now have 2016 emission data showing that the U.S. cut carbon pollution faster than initially projected, with emissions dropping nearly 100 MMT in just 2016 alone. The bulk of these reductions have occurred as we have replaced coal with clean energy and energy savings.
more at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ana ... 0a1564dd3c
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:12 am

Court orders Trump administration reinstate Obama emissions rule
Interior department had moved to delay to 2019 methane regulation governing oil and gas production on federal land
Rebuffing the Trump administration, a federal judge on Wednesday ordered the Interior Department to reinstate an Obama-era regulation aimed at restricting harmful methane emissions from oil and gas production on federal lands.

The order by a judge in San Francisco came as the Interior Department moved to delay the rule until 2019, saying it was too burdensome to industry. The action followed an earlier effort by the department to postpone part of the rule set to take effect next year.

US Magistrate Judge Elizabeth Laporte of the northern district of California said the department had failed to give a “reasoned explanation” for the changes and had not offered details why an earlier analysis by the Obama administration was faulty. She ordered the entire rule reinstated immediately.

The rule, finalized last November, forces energy companies to capture methane that’s burnt off or “flared” at drilling sites on public lands during production because it pollutes the environment. An estimated $330m a year in methane is wasted through leaks or intentional releases on federal lands, enough to power about 5m homes a year.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... sions-rule

ETA I see Addie already posted the Associated Press article on this in the EPA thread... :oops:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8552&p=920889#p920889
Birfers are toast

Return to “Science & Technology”