Hearing Issues - Let's talk (and try to listen)

p0rtia

Hearing Issues - Let's talk (and try to listen)

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Opening up this thread on the model of the "Diabetes - Let's Talk" thread. Since we all seem to be aging out, I think we need a place to talk about any and all hearing issues.

My story:

Tinnitus. Had a very high frequency white noise in left ear for a few years. Last year a little violinist began to play (slightly flat) on lobe of right ear. Went to ENT guy and audiologist. Had an MRI (negative) because my DS has an acoustic neuroma.

This past winter the violinist stopped, but the roar in the right ear got loud. And then really loud (but low frequency, so roaring rather than nails on a blackboard), and then stopped, and then started, and so on. With hearing loss that I noticed, which was confirmed by last week's trip to the audiologist.

My speech recognition is normal (hearing loss is one ear and low frequencies), and the tinnitus is only annoying when it it hits Really Loud (which is currently every couple of days). Loud enough to wake me up if it's early in the morning.

Follow up with ENT doc in a coupla weeks. I've done my research, and yes the cause could be medications, TMJ, metabolic changes, aging (not for fraidy cats), but in the end...it's tinnitus.

Should I push for a cause? ENT says, yes, you have all tells for Meniere's disease (also had a spell of vertigo last month), but in the wrong order, so that's not it. He is my least favorite doc, as he does not appear to be particularly engaged.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Estiveo

Re: Tinnitus - Let's talk (and try to listen)

Post by Estiveo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm

Might be a good opportunity to change doctors.

I've had tinnitus in both ears for ages, but the last few years it's been much more noticable. Mine is a high pitched ringing whine and, luckily, there's harmony from left to right, though left is louder.

I have no doubt mine was caused by rock 'n' roll.
:rockon:
Image Image Image Image Image

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:23 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I've had tinnitus in both ears for ages, but the last few years it's been much more noticable. Mine is a high pitched ringing whine and, luckily, there's harmony from left to right, though left is louder.

Yeah, I think I'll see if he smartens up at the follow-up. He didn't even bother to look at my history before meeting with me earlier in the month, and had forgotten my visits (and a certain amount of drama scheduling the MRI) last year, and the three phone chats I had with his most excellent nurse this spring. And told me he didn't look and had forgotten. Doof.

Mine is not a result of loud noises. Possibly one of my meds; possible cortisol increases. Possibly age. Pfff.
ImageImageImage

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I have also had it in both ears for years (crickets chirping, in my case) and it was diagnosed as having been caused by too many rock & roll concerts in my mis-spent youth. Since the cause was hearing loss in a particular band of frequencies, hearing aids have alleviated the problem.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 pm

Luckily, I haven't developed tinnitus, but I do suffer from hearing loss. Not so much volume but clarity, especially British accents, and I love my BBC. Also too, there are some frequencies I can't hear at all. It's why I had to quit my transcription work. I knew my work was suffering. I slowed down trying to be more and more careful, but no luck. I was close to being fired when, one evening, I kept turning up the volume on whatever Doctor Who or Sherlock Holmes episode I was watching when my husband turned to me and said sarcastically, "Loud enough for ya?" The next day I got tested and yada, yada, yada...

I never listened to loud music, didn't like it. Turns out my problem was...30 years of headphone use in my transcription work. The technician said headphones are worse than loud concerts, something about having those buds down in your ear canal for 40-50 hours a week, damaging the fine hairs that protect the eardrum.

But thankfully no ringing in the ears. That sounds horrible (pun not intentional).
ImageImageImage x4

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 pm
Luckily, I haven't developed tinnitus, but I do suffer from hearing loss. Not so much volume but clarity, especially British accents, and I love my BBC. Also too, there are some frequencies I can't hear at all.
British tend to mumble. Lousy diction exasperated by the tendency to cover their teeth when they speak (at least they don't have the midwestern twang that I have to deal with when directing choirs).

Over the years while working with sound reinforcement, I have found those who mention they have trouble hearing are actually having trouble with clarity. Turning up the volume on the PA is rarely helpful, and sometimes counterproductive. It just causes the sound to become less clear from reflections. Locating smaller speakers closer to people can help, and adjusting the equalization to assist the frequencies needed for clarity.

The biggest help us to get the speakers to speak properly for publicity speaking. PAs only amplify what is already there. You cannot speak to a group like you would if one on one.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:36 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 pm
Luckily, I haven't developed tinnitus, but I do suffer from hearing loss. Not so much volume but clarity, especially British accents, and I love my BBC. Also too, there are some frequencies I can't hear at all.
British tend to mumble. Lousy diction exasperated by the tendency to cover their teeth when they speak (at least they don't have the midwestern twang that I have to deal with when directing choirs).

Over the years while working with sound reinforcement, I have found those who mention they have trouble hearing are actually having trouble with clarity. Turning up the volume on the PA is rarely helpful, and sometimes counterproductive. It just causes the sound to become less clear from reflections. Locating smaller speakers closer to people can help, and adjusting the equalization to assist the frequencies needed for clarity.

The biggest help us to get the speakers to speak properly for publicity speaking. PAs only amplify what is already their. You cannot speak to a group like you would if one on one.
Yes, please and thank you. I've found that I can only carry on a conversation if there is no background noise. Hubs was frustrated that I always turned off the car radio when we were having a convo and asking him to turn down his music drove him crazy until I sat him down and explained my situation. If he turned it up passed a certain number (11?), it sounded like an old radio stuck between stations.

Sorry, Portia. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. My situation is manageable. Yours is quite the dilemma.
ImageImageImage x4

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:48 pm
:snippity:
Sorry, Portia. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. My situation is manageable. Yours is quite the dilemma.
Please, carry on! This is great. I meant it to be a thread for all hearing issues, modeled on the "Let's Talk Diabetes" thread. :-D Just forgot to put that in the first post. :bag:
ImageImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Northland10 wrote:

That they do, I’m married to one! We have a friend who is an audiologist and I made the remark in front of her that he mumbled a lot; of course he claimed that he didn’t mumble and that I was deaf. So she summoned us to her booth for dueling hearing tests to settle the matter. I lost big time and was told I needed hearing aids in both ears, and I did try them but couldn’t tolerate them.

My SIL lives in London and not only does she have a very thick accent she really does mumble, she talks extremely fast AND she’s deafer than me. When we were over after having had the tests I told her about it and that I was told I needed “hearing aids in both ears”. She turned and looked at me with a shocking look on her face and said; “Two dwarfs and a beard?” MrDaisy nearly pissed himself! :rotflmao:

I too also have tinnitus and it can be pretty bad at times. The only thing I can do is mask it, celling fans use to work before they went silent. Living in VA with dry winters and humid summers I find dehydrators and humidifiers make a loud enough hum to mask most of it.
Birfers are toast

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 pm

My left ear is going south. My former employer sent me to an audiologist to cover their a$$ to know it was not caused by workplace noise. It's a problem that comes with aging. There was one test where I was supposed to pick out what a woman was saying from the mumble of many men talking. I couldn't hear a word she was saying. Note that I was seated to your left, MsDaisy. :)
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:34 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 pm
Northland10 wrote:

That they do, I’m married to one!
Still, being an Episcopalian/Anglican, I love hearing a British accent in the liturgy. :daydream:

Many, many years ago, a friend mention I might have a hearing issue. My actual issue was actually caused by ADD, not hearing.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 pm

My sister has had musical tinnitus for several years, and it's severe and constant. She has been prescribed and uses a hearing aid with white noise to counteract it. It helps, but doesn't always work perfectly. In her case, she was actually hospitalized for psychiatric problems before the condition was diagnosed. It took a good while to diagnose and treat it.

The article says that problems with the blood vessels in the brain can cause it. I can't remember the name of her condition, but she had strokes at a very early age and was then diagnosed with a specific condition that has to do with blood vessels in the brain.

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/musical-hallucination

p0rtia

Re: Hearing Issues - Let's talk (and try to listen)

Post by p0rtia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:40 am

So I've been diagnosed with vestibulo-ocular reflex (VOR) dysfunction.

I've had occasional, very, very minor occurrences of dizziness since my significant vertigo episode in May. Had to really push my ENT guy to get to a physiotherapist for the vertigo. PT doesn't recommend that I do any of the maneuvers for the vertigo, but the simple serious of walking, turning, focusing tests he put me through turned up the VOR.

Hopefully fixable, which would be really nice. Not sure the VOR is related to the vertigo, though I have only been aware of the slight dizziness since then. But I have had some mild balance issues for the past year or so: tipping sideways when stepping over something or turning. I'm happy to think that this might be reversed.

So I'm currently shaking my head back and forth for four minutes at a time, five times a day, whilst trying to focus on the letter B on a card at arms length. More exercises to come in the next few weeks.

I note, however, that my ears are an issue; mild hearing loss in my right ear, four types of tinnitus (two in left, two in right), BPPV, VOR, dermatitis, some weird deadening in my left middle ear. But no acoustic neuroma (my sister has one, so we checked), and apparently no infection / inflammation. One more episode of BPPV and I have all the symptoms of Meniere's disease. Which doesn't mean much, as far as I can tell.

Other good news: tinnitus has been relatively quiet since I started the VOR exercises. Hmmm.
ImageImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 am

Oh, and I changed the title of the thread. Should have called it "Hearing Issues" in the first place. :bag:
ImageImageImage

Reeeko

Post by Reeeko » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:19 am

Several years ago, while driving, I held in a vicious sneeze, and almost immediately felt like i had a clog in my left ear. When it didn't go away after a couple days, I tried an otc decongestant (real Sudafed), with no improvement after a few more days. Finally, I visited my doctor, who said my eardrums were actually concave due to too much decongestant, and I needed to cut that out. He referred me for a VERY thorough audiology exam, which showed that I'd basically lost all the high frequencies in my left ear. Diagnosing a "perilymphatic fistula" (nerve damage, basically), imagine my joy when they gave me a package of guidance on how to handle my deafness (really!). My hearing in my left ear still sucks--especially in places like restaurants, etc with a lot of background noise, where I have real trouble following conversations without great effort. One of these days, I may look into whether any hearing aids might be able to help over a particular frequency range. Fwiw, age is 61.

Return to “Science & Technology”