Update your Apple devices. Right now.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Re: Update your Apple devices. Right now.

Post by HilltownGrrl » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 am

Slartibartfast wrote:I updated my 2010 MacBook Pro to El Cap (from Snow Leopard, I believe) and have been squirrelly too. also. A friend (who is a software developer and a Mac person) said that Sierra was good and recommended that I upgrade before High Sierra came out. I don't know how old your machine is, but my coal-fired version is a bit long in the tooth and the next update could be the one that doesn't support my machine. You always want to have the most up-to-date version possible when then one that leaves you behind comes out. I'll be switching from El Cap to Sierra sometime in August and I would recommend doing it yourself before High Sierra comes out.
Thanks, Slarti, & it's good to hear it's not just me & that El Cap just plain sucks. My Air is mid-2012 & the Mini is around the same age. As I mentioned, I've always updated to the next OS once the version hit x.2 or x.3 - & that's what I did with the Mini but it was so awful, I held off on the Air. I hope Sierra really is good (famous last words, but it can't be much worse than El Cap) - I'll update the Mini first to see how it is before biting the bullet on my Air.

And in case anyone else runs into the problem my husband & brother did (older iphones, no security updates available), it's because only iphone 5 & up, 4th gen ipads & up, & ipod touch 6 & up have the bad wifi chips in them. Older devices don't. Old stuff FTW! :-D

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am

Reality Check wrote:Hmmm, I updated my old iPhone 5 that I use as a media player last night and it took at least 30 minutes. Maybe my sense of time was off. :lol:
Way to make me feel left behind, RC. My current phone is a 5 so to hear it referred to as "old" & as "a media player" makes me :eek2: :crying:

I know the new iOS won't support it but I'll continue to muddle along until I'm forced to upgrade. I haven't had to buy a phone yet but own a 3, 4, & 4s along with the 5 because my friends give me their old ones when they upgrade (I'm hoping one or more will jump to an 8 or SE when they come out so I get a "new" one; if not, I'll be shopping gazelle.com sometime next year). The 3 is my ipod & the 4 & 4s are full of games my niece & nephews like. I get each week's free app (if it's a game) from the app store & let them decide if it's a keeper. It's become one of our things.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote: Way to make me feel left behind, RC. My current phone is a 5 so to hear it referred to as "old" & as "a media player" makes me :eek2: :crying:
My main phone is a regular iPhone 6. I just paid it off with ATT after 30 months but I am in no hurry to upgrade to a 7 because they removed the headphone jack. I keep toying with the idea of going with an Android but the iPhone and iPad are so well integrated and I would hate to give that up. I don't think there is any doubt the Android OS is ahead of Apple in features.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Reality Check wrote:...because they removed the headphone jack.
This was the latest in stupid decisions by Apple. Not only can everyone not afford Bluetooth headphones/AirBuds, but not everyone wants to use them. I want Bluetooth headphones so I can row (on my water rower machine) without getting tangled but I want the decision to use or not use them to be mine, not Apples.

And I hear you on wanting but not wanting to switch to Android. The cameras on some of the Android phones are phenomenal, & since I seem to be using my phone & pad to take most photos these days, I'd like that. The major downside for me is all the years worth of Apple apps I have which would need to be replaced. And having all my computers sync with my pad & phone is also something I really don't want to lose.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:01 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Reality Check wrote:...because they removed the headphone jack.
This was the latest in stupid decisions by Apple. Not only can everyone not afford Bluetooth headphones/AirBuds, but not everyone wants to use them. I want Bluetooth headphones so I can row (on my water rower machine) without getting tangled but I want the decision to use or not use them to be mine, not Apples. :snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
From Apples iPhone7 web page:

EarPods. With a Lightning connector.
iPhone 7 comes with EarPods that have a Lightning connector. But if you still want to listen through your old headphones, you can plug them in using a 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter, also included.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Can you charge and listen at the same time?

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Reality Check wrote:Can you charge and listen at the same time?
Well technically yes, after all the phone does have speakers, pretty good ones too. I don't use earphones when doing my morning walk as I want to hear any thing coming up from behind. But I suspect that is not what you mean. I would add that the battery life is excellent in this mode and depending on your needs / wants you can extend it even further by judicious weaning of background processes.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm

I have a Samsung S6 Android. I love the wireless charging. I just lay the phone on the charging pad at bed time. I don't use a headphone jack, but I do use bluetooth when I'm driving. My old Windoz phone would allow me to do voice texting which comes in handy while driving. This Samsung won't do voice texting or the problem might be because my call provider isn't equipped to handle that.

I'm waiting for the iPhone 7+ to come out for one simple reason: The Samsung is too ungodly big. Give me something smaller.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm

I have a iPhone 6 and two iPad minis. I like the integration among them, although the one iPad doesn't even update any more, but it's good for international travel as it's not cellular. I upgraded the phone about two years ago and won't upgrade until I have a good reason to. I don't upgrade the phone very often, My understanding is that Apple isn't really supporting the minis much any more, so the next time around I will probably have to go up in size, but I like the smaller size. I used to have a PDA and I always liked using apps. I have so many of them, particularly on the one Apple mini, which has as much storage as they sell and is cellular. I particularly like it for traveling in the USA, but I use it a lot otherwise, too.

I also have an assortment of Androids. I have a Nook, which is a Samsung. I have a cheap no-name little tablet that I am pretty pleased with. My eight-year-old granddaughter likes it. She also has no problem using either the minis, the iPhone, or the Android Nook.

I'm one of those people who are not solidly in either camp, Apple or Android, but I do probably very slightly prefer the Apple products, maybe because of the integration. At the same time, I've been satisfied with what I've had in the Android.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:23 pm

ZekeB wrote:I have a Samsung S6 Android. I love the wireless charging. I just lay the phone on the charging pad at bed time. I don't use a headphone jack, but I do use bluetooth when I'm driving. My old Windoz phone would allow me to do voice texting which comes in handy while driving. This Samsung won't do voice texting or the problem might be because my call provider isn't equipped to handle that.

I'm waiting for the iPhone 7+ to come out for one simple reason: The Samsung is too ungodly big. Give me something smaller.
I have a Samsung S5 that does voice text. Not very well, but I suspect that's because it doesn't speak Southern though, not because the voice text doesn't work.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:I have a Samsung S5 that does voice text. Not very well, but I suspect that's because it doesn't speak Southern though, not because the voice text doesn't work.
When the 7+ comes out I'll take a look. If I like it I'll buy an unlocked one from the Apple store and try it on my present provider ( US Cellular). If voice texting doesn't work I'll change to Verizon in December when my contract is up.

You don't speak THAT southern. I never had to retune my ear to understand you. When we talked it wasn't as if you sounded like you were from the boondocks of Tennessee or Kentucky. :)

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

vic

Post by vic » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm

ZekeB wrote:I have a Samsung S6 Android. I love the wireless charging. I just lay the phone on the charging pad at bed time. I don't use a headphone jack, but I do use bluetooth when I'm driving. My old Windoz phone would allow me to do voice texting which comes in handy while driving. This Samsung won't do voice texting or the problem might be because my call provider isn't equipped to handle that.

I assume you mean 7s; the 7+ (or rather, 7 plus) is the big brother of the 7 (5.5 inch screen vs 4.7 inch, dual rear-facing cameras (wide-angle and telephoto), and optical zoom (2x) in addition to the 5x digital zoom, giving up to 10x zoom.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:I have a Samsung S5 that does voice text. Not very well, but I suspect that's because it doesn't speak Southern though, not because the voice text doesn't work.
When the 7+ comes out I'll take a look. If I like it I'll buy an unlocked one from the Apple store and try it on my present provider ( US Cellular). If voice texting doesn't work I'll change to Verizon in December when my contract is up.

You don't speak THAT southern. I never had to retune my ear to understand you. When we talked it wasn't as if you sounded like you were from the boondocks of Tennessee or Kentucky. :)
Mine's just a little microphone icon on the keyboard and I discovered it by accident when I was trying to type a msg.

p.s. My first voice text was "what the fuck..." after I discovered the voice text thing by accident.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:46 pm

qbawl wrote:Well technically yes, after all the phone does have speakers, pretty good ones too. I don't use earphones when doing my morning walk as I want to hear any thing coming up from behind. But I suspect that is not what you mean. I would add that the battery life is excellent in this mode and depending on your needs / wants you can extend it even further by judicious weaning of background processes.
The reason I asked is that when I am traveling I listen to Tunein radio in bed at night while the phone is charging. I have to use the ear buds. If I go to sleep with the app playing it can drain the battery down overnight if it is not charging. Yeah, I know there is a sleep timer I could use.

Return to “Computers & Internet”