Confused About SD Cards

Addie

Confused About SD Cards

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:45 am

I found this slot on my HP Notebook and it's for SD cards. Is it good to have one? I gather it's about expanding on installed RAM. I have 4GB installed, not expandable. I've thought about how I wish I'd had the sense to get 8GB, but ah well. The machine actually works very well and is blissfully quiet. I figured out how to get it to show the system on a full desktop monitor, which has made all the difference in satisfaction. I would still invest in an SD card if it made a difference in speed. But I am unsure if I know what the damn things even do. Advice? Thank you.

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

MN-Skeptic

Re: Confused About SD Cards

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:21 pm

No, the SD slot is for reading an SD card. For example, my camera saves photos on an SD card. I put the SD card from the camera into the PC's SD slot and it reads it like an external drive or like a USB thumb drive. That allows me to easily transfer photos from my camera to my PC.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Oh, thanks a lot. So I was barking up the wrong tree. Not the first time :)
MN-Skeptic wrote:No, the SD slot is for reading an SD card. For example, my camera saves photos on an SD card. I put the SD card from the camera into the PC's SD slot and it reads it like an external drive or like a USB thumb drive. That allows me to easily transfer photos from my camera to my PC.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Addie wrote:I found this slot on my HP Notebook and it's for SD cards. Is it good to have one? I gather it's about expanding on installed RAM. I have 4GB installed, not expandable. I've thought about how I wish I'd had the sense to get 8GB, but ah well. The machine actually works very well and is blissfully quiet. I figured out how to get it to show the system on a full desktop monitor, which has made all the difference in satisfaction. I would still invest in an SD card if it made a difference in speed. But I am unsure if I know what the damn things even do. Advice? Thank you.
Like floppies, CDs, flash drives, etc, SD cards are predominantly used as additional data storage devices. There's an optional Windows service called ReadyBoost that uses removable storage devices like SD cards and flash drives to boost performance. You could, if you wished, purchase an SD card or flash drive, enable ReadyBoost, and see if makes any difference. But frankly, most people just use them as backup or additional storage.

I've heard this bull before.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Thank you. I'll look into whether there's a Linux form of ReadyBoost. It sounds like it's worth a try.
DejaMoo wrote:Like floppies, CDs, flash drives, etc, SD cards are predominantly used as additional data storage devices. There's an optional Windows service called ReadyBoost that uses removable storage devices like SD cards and flash drives to boost performance. You could, if you wished, purchase an SD card or flash drive, enable ReadyBoost, and see if makes any difference. But frankly, most people just use them as backup or additional storage.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Addie wrote:Thank you. I'll look into whether there's a Linux form of ReadyBoost. It sounds like it's worth a try.
DejaMoo wrote:Like floppies, CDs, flash drives, etc, SD cards are predominantly used as additional data storage devices. There's an optional Windows service called ReadyBoost that uses removable storage devices like SD cards and flash drives to boost performance. You could, if you wished, purchase an SD card or flash drive, enable ReadyBoost, and see if makes any difference. But frankly, most people just use them as backup or additional storage.
Just be aware that there are three flavors of SD cards.

The original Secure Data (SD) cards have a maximum capacity of 2GB. If your laptop is an older one, it is possible that this is the only type if can read in that slot.

The next step came as the SDHC (SD High Capacity), These cards go up to 32GB. Look for the SDHC logo somewhere in the documentation or on the computer itself.

The most recent (about three years ago) is the SDXC standard. These cards have a maximum capacity measured in petabytes (the next step beyond terabytes), so there is unlikely to be a new standard for quite a while. I think that the maximum cards sizes actually available are on the order of 128GB, but I haven't been paying close attention. There may by 256GB cards available, but they cost several hundred dollars apiece.

All are backward compatible. That is, if your computer has an SDXC-compatible slot, it will have no trouble reading an 8GB SDHC card. If, on the other hand, your computer has an SDHC slot, it will not be able to read a 45GB SDXC card.

If this is a new laptop, chances are that it is an SDXC slot and you have nothing to worry about.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks for that, noblepa. I'll be careful. It's a not very old Notebook-PC, HP 15.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:42 pm

On Amazon I've seen 128GB for around $39.99, but the cheapest 256GB look to be around $140 to $150. Maybe you can find them for cheaper during the Black Friday sales.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks, Mags. Now I just have to find the manual to make sure I buy the right gizmo. At least I've learned there is a way to do it in Linux using a swap drive. There's something called Buen Fin in Mexico, like Black Friday, but it lasts a week or so and there is now Amazon in Mexico, so I guess I'm covered.
magdalen77 wrote:On Amazon I've seen 128GB for around $39.99, but the cheapest 256GB look to be around $140 to $150. Maybe you can find them for cheaper during the Black Friday sales.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Just to note that SD Cards come in many variants of read/write speeds, the write speed determines the quality. Write speed is less an issue when only used on a PC, but is important when using the SD Cards on Smartphones and video cameras. It determines the quality of the audio/video stream that can be recorded without loss. But there is no need to go better than what your device suggests (especially when a couple of years old), cause it cannot provide the high stream the card can accomodate. Also don't target the most high capacity cards except for special cases. The amount of data, audio, video images is what you will miss then the card gets lost (or occaisionally damaged (water). For my video recorder I have planned the size to what my maximum dayly recording may turn out to be, using a new SD card every day on trips.

MRich

Post by MRich » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Best Buy is always having SD cards on it's "Deal of the Day". I don't know if they're actually a "deal", but I get the daily email and I've noticed that they're on sale at least 1,2 times a week.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:21 pm

Addie wrote:Thanks, Mags. Now I just have to find the manual to make sure I buy the right gizmo. At least I've learned there is a way to do it in Linux using a swap drive. There's something called Buen Fin in Mexico, like Black Friday, but it lasts a week or so and there is now Amazon in Mexico, so I guess I'm covered.
magdalen77 wrote:On Amazon I've seen 128GB for around $39.99, but the cheapest 256GB look to be around $140 to $150. Maybe you can find them for cheaper during the Black Friday sales.
You don't want to use an SD card as a swap drive (or to contain a swap file). Although it is less so than in the past, an SD has a limited amount of writes before it wears out. If you need more swap on your linux system and don't want to create a new partition, then the easiest thing to do is set up a swap file on your hard drive.

Use the SD card for what it is intended to be used for, as extra data storage, backups, and an easy way to transfer and use data on multiple computers.

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Return to “Computers & Internet”