Google

neonzx

Re: Google

Post by neonzx »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 pm Yeah, this has been the case for a number of years.

Go to Amazon, do a search for anything, select sorting by price, low to high, and half of each page is filled with ads looking like search results--except for the fact that their prices are not sorted low to high.

Life.
Yep. And as long as you keep this mind:

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

You'll be ok. Nothing is 'free'. Including Google.

ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

I use Bing. At least I've gotten a couple of free burgers out of them.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 pm
p0rtia wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 pm Yeah, this has been the case for a number of years.

Go to Amazon, do a search for anything, select sorting by price, low to high, and half of each page is filled with ads looking like search results--except for the fact that their prices are not sorted low to high.

Life.
Yep. And as long as you keep this mind:

“If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.”

You'll be ok. Nothing is 'free'. Including Google.
I understand and accept that. With Amazon, I object because it is a store, thus I am already paying for it.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Google maps changes disputed borders based on where you’re searching from
February 14, 2020 | 1:00 PM EDT

From Pakistan, the Kashmir region appears disputed. From India, it appears firmly under Indian control. Google Maps changes disputed borders based on the country a user is searching from, demonstrating its ability to bend information to its will.

https:// www.washingtonpost.com/video/business/t ... video.html
Video includes several other variations

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

500 Chrome extensions secretly uploaded private data from millions of users
Extensions were part of a long-running ad-fraud and malvertising network.
DAN GOODIN - 2/13/2020, 11:54 PM

More than 500 browser extensions downloaded millions of times from Google’s Chrome Web Store surreptitiously uploaded private browsing data to attacker-controlled servers, researchers said on Thursday.

The extensions were part of a long-running malvertising and ad-fraud scheme that was discovered by independent researcher Jamila Kaya. She and researchers from Cisco-owned Duo Security eventually identified 71 Chrome Web Store extensions that had more than 1.7 million installations. After the researchers privately reported their findings to Google, the company identified more than 430 additional extensions. Google has since removed all known extensions.

“In the case reported here, the Chrome extension creators had specifically made extensions that obfuscated the underlying advertising functionality from users,” Kaya and Duo Security researcher Jacob Rickerd wrote in a report. “This was done in order to connect the browser clients to a command and control architecture, exfiltrate private browsing data without the users’ knowledge, expose the user to risk of exploit through advertising streams, and attempt to evade the Chrome Web Store’s fraud detection mechanisms.”

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -of-users/

tek

Post by tek »

the Chrome extension creators had specifically made extensions that obfuscated the underlying advertising functionality from users
Huh. I never would have suspected anyone would try such a thing.

[Narrator: he's lying again]

There's no way back
from there to here
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Google fined €2,000 over insult to Romania’s National Salvation Cathedral

By Cristian Gherasim • last updated: 23/06/2020

Google in Romania has been fined €2,000 after an internet user tagged the country’s massive new Orthodox cathedral with an insulting post on Google Maps.

Romania’s National Anti-discrimination Council (CNCD) imposed the fine on June 17 after the People’s Salvation Cathedral in Bucharest was given a new tag that renamed the unfinished €110 million mega-project "The Cathedral for making a fool of the Romanian nation”.

The cathedral, which was inaugurated in 2018 but is not expected to be finished until at least 2024, has been controversial in Romania. Critics say the project, which will be the tallest and largest Orthodox church in the world when finished, is a waste of public funds.

Although the post on Google Maps was removed within hours, it was screenshotted and posted on social media.

CNCD argued that Google Romania failed “to take quick measures against the edit” and did not inform the tech giant’s European office in Ireland. As well as the fine, the sanction requires Google Romania to publish the council’s decision on its homepage for 10 days.

In a statement, Google Romania defended its use of user-generated content, arguing that it wanted Google Maps “to reflect the real world”. It added that the post in question was fixed promptly and that it would “continue to vet and eliminate unwanted content.”

The CNCD decision was welcomed by Vasile Bănescu, a spokesperson from the Romanian Orthodox Church, who told Euronews: “I thank all those who took a stand against an intolerable abuse, an offence against the church.”

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/23/goo ... -cathedral

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Youtube - More Annoying Advertising in videos

Management summary:

By end of this month Youtube will force more intermediate "mid-roll" advertising onto their viewers. Especially onto existing videos where the content creator / channel owner had opted not to have them shown (less ad revenue) but better viewer expierience. These in-videos ads would not show on videos shorter than 10 minutes, content creators did in the past limit the size of a clip to omit the ads. Now Youtube set a new limit of 8 minutes, also for existing old content. Content ceeators would need to go thru their whole archive to set an opt-out for each clip individually.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Google faces lawsuit over tracking in apps even when users opted out
Paresh Dave
JULY 14, 2020

OAKLAND, Calif. (Reuters) - Alphabet Inc’s (GOOGL.O) Google records what people are doing on hundreds of thousands of mobile apps even when they follow the company’s recommended settings for stopping such monitoring, a lawsuit seeking class action status alleged on Tuesday.

The data privacy lawsuit is the second filed in as many months against Google by the law firm Boies Schiller Flexner on behalf a handful of individual consumers. The firm’s clients also have included Google competitors such as Facebook Inc (FB.O) and Oracle Corp (ORCL.N).

Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the filing.

The new complaint in a U.S. district court in San Jose accuses Google of violating federal wiretap law and California privacy law by logging what users are looking at in news, ride-hailing and other types of apps despite them having turned off “Web & App Activity” tracking in their Google account settings.

The lawsuit alleges the data collection happens through Google’s Firebase, a set of software popular among app makers for storing data, delivering notifications and ads, and tracking glitches and clicks. Firebase typically operates inside apps invisibly to consumers.

“Even when consumers follow Google’s own instructions and turn off ‘Web & App Activity’ tracking on their ‘Privacy Controls,’ Google nevertheless continues to intercept consumers’ app usage and app browsing communications and personal information,” the lawsuit contends.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-alph ... SKCN24F2N4

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Google’s latest audacious growth hack – Sending Google Meet links along with Zoom invites
by Surur @mspoweruser
Aug 3, 2020 at 6:47 GMT

The sudden prominence and importance of video calls have resulted in companies having to push their video conferencing solutions quite aggressively so as not be left behind by Zoom, the de facto king.

Slack has, of course, accused Microsoft of unfair competition, but Zoom may want to keep an eye on Google, a company not known to be shy from abusing their monopolies, as the EU has confirmed on a number of occasions.

It appears that Google is sending along Google Meet invites if you use Gmail to send a Zoom invite, as can be seen in the email below:
{image in article}

In this case, the Zoom invitation was sent via the Windows 10 Mail client on a Google email account, with Google modifying the email in transit to add a confusing Google Meet meeting to the Invite. The modified Invite will only be apparent on the receiving end, likely leaving the host confused when half the attendees show up on Google Meet.

While Google does not have a monopoly on email, they are the biggest webmail provider and this shady behaviour deserves to be scrutinized more closely.

https://mspoweruser.com/googles-latest- ... m-invites/

jmj

Post by jmj »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:14 am
Google’s latest audacious growth hack – Sending Google Meet links along with Zoom invites
by Surur @mspoweruser
Aug 3, 2020 at 6:47 GMT

The sudden prominence and importance of video calls have resulted in companies having to push their video conferencing solutions quite aggressively so as not be left behind by Zoom, the de facto king.

Slack has, of course, accused Microsoft of unfair competition, but Zoom may want to keep an eye on Google, a company not known to be shy from abusing their monopolies, as the EU has confirmed on a number of occasions.

It appears that Google is sending along Google Meet invites if you use Gmail to send a Zoom invite, as can be seen in the email below:
{image in article}

In this case, the Zoom invitation was sent via the Windows 10 Mail client on a Google email account, with Google modifying the email in transit to add a confusing Google Meet meeting to the Invite. The modified Invite will only be apparent on the receiving end, likely leaving the host confused when half the attendees show up on Google Meet.

While Google does not have a monopoly on email, they are the biggest webmail provider and this shady behaviour deserves to be scrutinized more closely.

https://mspoweruser.com/googles-latest- ... m-invites/
This seems like lazy journalism. Google automatically generates a google meet url for pretty much every event that you schedule in google calendar. For example, If I create a doctor's appointment in my google calendar and add my wife as a participant (an easy way to add it to her calendar as well), it includes a google meet URL in the invitation. So, yes, they're pushing their google meet video conferencing solution where it doesn't necessarily make sense. But it's not targeted specifically at zoom.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Google Newsletter
Google Play Music is going away soon

YouTube Music is replacing Google Play Music as your new destination for music listening and discovery. Between October and the end of this year, access to Google Play Music will be removed permanently. We know that you’ve spent time building your Google Play Music library, so we’ve made it easy to transfer your music library to YouTube Music with just one click, including playlists, uploads, and recommendations.

If you haven’t tried YouTube Music yet, you’ll notice that it looks a bit different from Google Play Music, but know that it was built by the same team with the same passion. It also offers more than 65 million official songs, albums, and playlists, as well as many features you love and expect from Google Play Music.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Well this is disconcerting.

I'm locked out of my Google account... it happened overnight somehow :? . I haven't had to deal this for years. I can't get into any Google services (including google voice, which I use as a primary #). I can't even see my subscribed channels in Youtube.

Validated all my account info and got a notification that an account rep will be in contact in the next 3-5 days.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I use gmail for two reasons: 1) It's the account I use when I sign up for something and expect a bunch of junk mail. 2) I use it to log into Youtube and it keeps track of my interests as well as gives me a place to park my "to view" items. I use a junk blocker on Youtube and it works nicely.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

ZekeB wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:15 pm I use gmail for two reasons: 1) It's the account I use when I sign up for something and expect a bunch of junk mail. 2) I use it to log into Youtube and it keeps track of my interests as well as gives me a place to park my "to view" items. I use a junk blocker on Youtube and it works nicely.
Well, it's connected to my phone, which means it can reset and restore all the apps and available settings, passwords, etc etc.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I use bing on my phone as the search engine. Not that it's fool proof either.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

So the Google is partially kinda working. I'm logged in now to YouTube (my subscriptions are showing).

But I still can't send nor receive on my Google Voice nor Gmail.

But I can get incoming voice calls on G voice (minus caller ID).

:confused:

I guess we get what we pay for.

Return to “Computers & Internet”