Google

Chilidog

Google

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:06 pm

I have been getting weird messages when I try to use Google on my iPhone. Is google messed up? Or is it my phone?

spiduh

Re: Googlr

Post by spiduh » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:15 pm

I just googled from my iPhone without issue, FYI.

“If they kill me, grab my phone.” –Ammon Bundy (Reuters)
"Yes, I Did Turn the Flying Monkeys Loose!" -Anna von Reitz (FB)
"I 'Self Identify' as a female" -Jon Ritzheimer (FB)

Chilidog

Re: Googlr

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:22 pm

I powered off. Waited till I was in a new cell and rebooted. All is well.

Foggy

Re: Google

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Try Blackle. Saves energy. http://www.blackle.com

Welcome, seeker! (There's a seeker born every minute.)

Noka

Post by Noka » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 am

reboot it

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Google Home. Voice-activated speaker.
Hands-free help from the Google Assistant.
https://madeby.google.com/home/
Google shuts down Burger King's cunning TV ad
No, you shall not have it your way

by Natt Garun@nattgarun Apr 12, 2017, 3:32pm EDT

Just under three hours after Burger King unveiled a new advertisement designed to hijack your Google Home to read a long-winded description of its Whopper burger, Google has disabled the functionality. It was fun / horrifying while it lasted!

As of 2:45PM ET, Google Home will no longer respond when prompted by the specific Burger King commercial that asks “What is the Whopper burger?” It does, however, still respond with the top result from Wikipedia when someone else (i.e., a real user) other than the advertisement asks the same question. Google has likely registered the sound clip from the ad to disable unwanted Home triggers, as it does with its own Google Home commercials.

After the ad debuted at 12PM ET today, many users have edited the Wikipedia entry for the Whopper, adding a slew of troll-tastic descriptions including “cancer-causing,” “a chocolate candy” (in reference to the Hershey candy) and ingredients like “toenail clippings” and “rat.” Briefly, some users were able to get their Google Homes to respond with the edited entries (as did we, in a test yesterday). Wikipedia has now locked the entry, allowing changes to be made only by authorized administrators.

We’ve reached out to Google and Burger King for comment and will update if we hear back. For now, the mischief’s over, but maybe you still have the Whopper on your mind so perhaps the ad did its job after all. Google Home voice tags could not come soon enough.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/12/15277 ... d-campaign

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:10 pm

UK:
Google makes millions from plight of addicts
Company pulls ads after Sunday Times investigation

January 7 2018, 12:00pm,
The Sunday Times

The head of the UK’s biggest referral agency is founder of the Amy Winehouse Project, a drug clinic in the US, where referral fees are banned

Google has been profiting from a practice banned in America in which brokers secretly reap millions of pounds from vulnerable people seeking treatment for addictive diseases in the UK.

An undercover investigation by The Sunday Times has found that the internet giant charged the middlemen as much as £200 each time someone accesses their website with a single click on the advertised link at the top of a Google search page.

The brokers, known as referral agents, advertise themselves as free advice helplines but are able to afford the exorbitant Google rates because they can receive as much as £20,000 a month commission by referring only one caller to private rehabilitation clinics.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -vwkzhwtcv
rest behind paywall

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm
Google Home. Voice-activated speaker.
Hands-free help from the Google Assistant.
https://madeby.google.com/home/
Google shuts down Burger King's cunning TV ad
No, you shall not have it your way

by Natt Garun@nattgarun Apr 12, 2017, 3:32pm EDT

Just under three hours after Burger King unveiled a new advertisement designed to hijack your Google Home to read a long-winded description of its Whopper burger, Google has disabled the functionality. It was fun / horrifying while it lasted!
:snippity:
:lol: Sometimes while I'm watching TV my Echo will turn on and start telling me "I didn't understand the question" and sometimes it will answer whatever question or do whatever it thinks the TV has just instructed. It's pretty funny. It has happened about three times and I've had it for well over a year. Also, I had to cover the phone when I was talking to my Mom and trying to describe the Echo, what it does, how to activate it.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Google Doodle celebrates 120th birthday of Soviet filmmaker Sergei Eisenstein
To celebrate Eisenstein's passion for filmmaking, Google used film reels, inspired by imagery from some of his movies.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published: January 22, 2018 5:21 am

Sergei, born in Latvia followed the footsteps of his father and took up architecture and engineering. He later joined the Red Army to serve the Bolshevik Revolution. During this time, he developed an interest in theatre and started working as a designer in Moscow.

In 1923, Eisenstein began his career as a theorist. His first full-length feature film, Strike released in 1925. Some of his other acclaimed works include Battleship Potemkin’, and ‘The General Line’. He felt that editing could be used for more than just expounding a scene. According to him, the “collision” of shots could be used to manipulate the emotions of the audience and create film metaphors. He and his contemporary, Lev Kuleshov, argued that montage – the technique of editing a fast-paced sequence of short shots to transcend time or suggest thematic juxtapositions – was the essence of the cinema.

http://indianexpress.com/article/trendi ... n-5034101/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am

Team America! We need a montage!!!! Thanks to Sergei Eisenstein!
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=we ... &FORM=VIRE

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RTH10260

Google Chrome browser

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am

Note on the new Google Chrome browser

I was just made aware of a new feature in the newly released v65 of the Chrome browser.

For some time prior there was already an option when right clicking a tab to mute the website within, but the muting option finished when the tab was closed.

New the browser remembers the website muting status and applies it when opening a new tab.

Happy to keep those news sites quiet that insist to play video clips of the content i wish to read. Now if they only could block the media player itself cause some websites keep a miniature window of the player messing with my reading expierience.

RVInit

Re: Google Chrome browser

Post by RVInit » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am
Note on the new Google Chrome browser

I was just made aware of a new feature in the newly released v65 of the Chrome browser.

For some time prior there was already an option when right clicking a tab to mute the website within, but the muting option finished when the tab was closed.

New the browser remembers the website muting status and applies it when opening a new tab.

Happy to keep those news sites quiet that insist to play video clips of the content i wish to read. Now if they only could block the media player itself cause some websites keep a miniature window of the player messing with my reading expierience.
There is a way to specify that Flash won't play on a website unless you specifically right click the player and play it. The problem is that some websites would embed Flash into a different control and that control would refresh any time you tried to enable the Flash and therefore wipe out your attempt to play by refreshing everything and setting it back to NOT play. It turned out there were several sites that I have a habit of visiting who embedded flash into a control like the above, so I finally set my browser to play Flash on sites that are listed. However, I have been unable to get MSNBC/now to recognize that setting and I have to manually "allow" Flash each time I visit the page. All my other sites that are set to allow Flash work - just not the MSNBC/now page.

Try tweaking your Flash settings under the advanced settings in Chrome and set it to always "ask", that used to work for me, but that was quite some time ago and several updates have come out since then.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Re: Google Chrome browser

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 pm
► Show Spoiler
There is a way to specify that Flash won't play on a website unless you specifically right click the player and play it. The problem is that some websites would embed Flash into a different control and that control would refresh any time you tried to enable the Flash and therefore wipe out your attempt to play by refreshing everything and setting it back to NOT play. It turned out there were several sites that I have a habit of visiting who embedded flash into a control like the above, so I finally set my browser to play Flash on sites that are listed. However, I have been unable to get MSNBC/now to recognize that setting and I have to manually "allow" Flash each time I visit the page. All my other sites that are set to allow Flash work - just not the MSNBC/now page.

Try tweaking your Flash settings under the advanced settings in Chrome and set it to always "ask", that used to work for me, but that was quite some time ago and several updates have come out since then.
Many modern websites are dropping Flash based players for the modern standard of HTML5 based video players as implemented by the browser itself. And yes, I have the Flash player on request only ;)

DryInk

Post by DryInk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm

To stop autoplay (not sure how well either works)

Chrome:
  • Go to chrome://flags
  • In the search box enter autoplay
  • In the dropdown box choose Document user activation is required
  • Click the Relaunch button
Firefox:
  • Go to about:config
  • Click I accept the risk!
  • In the search box enter autoplay
  • Double-click media.autoplay.enabled to toggle it to false
  • (Not sure if you need to restart the browser to take effect)

Let's just assume I said something witty.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 am

Google bans ads for cryptocurrencies, wallets, and exchanges on its platforms
The move was announced in a blog post detailing some updates to Google's advertising network to make it a tool "that works for everyone."

By James Sanders | March 15, 2018, 5:35 AM PST

Google has banned advertisements for cryptocurrencies and related content including coin offerings, exchanges, wallets, and trading advice.
The cryptocurrency ad ban will come into effect on Google platforms this June.

Google's Sustainable Ads director Scott Spencer recently announced in a blog post that the company will not allow advertisements for cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Monero on its advertising platform. The same announcement also prohibits advertisements for binary options, a type of option where the potential payoff is either a fixed amount or nothing, which have been banned outright by regulators in various countries.

The blog post states, in part:
Digital advertising plays an important role in making the web what it is today—a forum where anyone with a good idea and good content can reach an audience and potentially make a living. In order for this ads-supported, free web to work, it needs to be a safe and effective place to learn, create and advertise. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case. Whether it's a one-off accident or a coordinated action by scammers trying to make money, a negative experience hurts the entire ecosystem.
The bans will go into effect this June.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/go ... platforms/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Google Could Owe Oracle $8.8 Billion in Android Fight

March 27, 2018, 3:44 PM GMT+2 Updated on March 27, 2018, 8:33 PM GMT+2

Google’s use of Java wasn’t ‘fair use,’ appeals court rules
Case remanded to determine how much Google should pay

Google could owe Oracle Corp. billions of dollars for using Oracle-owned Java programming code in its Android operating system on mobile devices, an appeals court said, as the years-long feud between the two software giants draws near a close.

Google’s use of Java shortcuts to develop Android went too far and was a violation of Oracle’s copyrights, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled Tuesday. The case -- first filed in 2010 -- was remanded to a federal court in California to determine how much the Alphabet Inc. unit should pay. Oracle had been seeking $8.8 billion, though that number could grow. Google expressed disappointment and said it’s considering its next steps in the case.

The dispute, which could have far-reaching implications for the entire software industry, has divided Silicon Valley for years between those who develop the code that makes software steps function and those who develop software programs and say their “fair use” of the code is an exception to copyright law.

“It’s a momentous decision on the issue of fair use,” lawyer Mark Schonfeld of Burns & Levinson in Boston, who’s been following the case and isn’t involved. “It is very, very important for the software industry. I think it’s going to go to the Supreme Court because the Federal Circuit has made a very controversial decision.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nst-google

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:00 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this. It was interesting, IMO. I played with the art palette for a short while. I am not an artist.
Unlocking Culture With Machine Learning
Explore the experiments at the crossroads of art and technology, created by artists and creative coders with collections from Google Arts & Culture partners

Want to try our experiments?

Play with color with Art Palette.
Browse the LIFE Magazine archive with the LIFE Tags experiment.
Explore an interactive archive of MoMA's past exhibitions with the results of our collaboration with MoMA. <SNIP>
https://artsandculture.google.com/theme/kwKSLHCd3edAIg

https://artsexperiments.withgoogle.com/artpalette/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Want to freak yourself out? I’m going to show just how much of your information the likes of Facebook and Google store about you without you even realising it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ou-privacy

Scary stuff....

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 pm
Want to freak yourself out? I’m going to show just how much of your information the likes of Facebook and Google store about you without you even realising it.

Scary stuff....
Google isn't perfect. :nope: It says I was at the Scituate Fire Department in 2015 when I was in fact at my cousin's house nearby.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:21 pm
Hercule Parrot wrote:

Scary stuff....
Google isn't perfect. :nope: It says I was at the Scituate Fire Department in 2015 when I was in fact at my cousin's house nearby.
Did you download it, Volkonski? I haven't dared to look at mine yet. :?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:59 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:21 pm
Hercule Parrot wrote:

Scary stuff....
Did you download it, Volkonski? I haven't dared to look at mine yet. :?
I looked at my timeline online. Google knows where I have been but only consistently since I got a new smartphone and can leave the Location on all the time without draining the battery.

Google does not have my search history for sites I visited using an Edge browser InPrivate window. :thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:57 pm

on both my laptop and phone it knows nothing, and begs me to turn location on.

Nuh uh.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 am

Just a note cause I got caught by surprise while editing a post on TFB:

The Chrome browser v67.0 now contains an option to spellcheck input text fields!
Options for changing settings (like disabling the checker) is by right-click context menu within the field.

Also too, if you are using one of those langiages like Arabic, it can write right to left.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am

Google reinstates www to URLs in Chrome after user backlash, but only temporarily
Less than a week after Chrome was updated to hide the "www" from users, Google have put the subdomain back into the address bar.

By Nick Heath | September 14, 2018, 3:42 AM PST

Less than a week after Google Chrome was updated to hide the "www" in the URL from users, Google has put the subdomain back into the bar.

Emily Schechter, product manager for Chrome security, said the "www" was reintroduced in Chrome 69 following user feedback.

"After receiving community feedback about these changes, we have decided to roll back these changes in M69 on Chrome for Desktop and Android," she said in a bug post.

However, while the "www" has been reinstated in the most recent versions of Chrome 69, she said the browser will hide the subdomain once again when Chrome 70 is released.

The temporary u-turn follows Google receiving a large volume of criticism for obscuring the subdomain. Those attacking the move expressed concern that users could be confused about the identity of the site they were visiting and questions were raised over whether Google had a long-term plan to hide its AMP subdomain and make it indistinguishable from the actual domain.

:snippity:

However, upon making the change, Google told Wired that URLs are failing to convey a site's identity, so it was looking for something else that offers more convenience and greater security.

Google's has also reversed its decision to hide the "m" subdomain in the address bar in Chrome, and has no immediate plans to obscure it again, according to Schechter.

She explained why Google planned to treat the "m" subdomain differently to "www" in the upcoming Chrome 70.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/go ... mporarily/
Note: actually they are not only suppressing the "www" bit also the protocol like "https://"

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:02 am

firefox does on some pages.......like this very one.

Return to “Computers & Internet”