tek

Re: Windows 10

Post by tek »

There's no way back
from there to here
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

My main machine was on 1803 and Windows started to push for an update last week.

Absolute nightmare. First it claimed my storage drivers were incompatible so I dealt with that. Then the update would fail and revert. Troubleshooter failed to fix it this time. The error code contained no useful information. Turns out the windows update error logs are hidden deep in the windows folder under some Panther folder. Had to search each error manually and dig through a hundred forum posts trying each solution individually. Turns out a single empty XML file was causing the problem. Some anonymous hero figured out that the solution is simply to copy paste the contents of the old version of the xml file into the empty one and everything is fixed.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Jeffrey wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:57 am My main machine was on 1803 and Windows started to push for an update last week.
:snippity:
What an ordeal. On an older desktop of mine the update failed and reverted 3 times. The 4th time I think I went to the MS update page and requested it. That worked for some reason.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Windows 10 security alert as Microsoft warns users to update their PCs immediately
WINDOWS 10 users are being urged to download a new security patch following the discovery of a serious vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser.
By DAVID SNELLING
PUBLISHED: 06:30, Fri, Sep 27, 2019

Windows 10 users are being warned about a serious new threat which could leave their PCs open to attack from hackers.

Microsoft has issued the alert after it discovered a vulnerability within its Internet Explorer software which could give cyber criminals the same access and rights as the user.

The flaw has now been rectified but anyone who has this browser on their device should make sure the latest patch is downloaded and installed.

In a message on its website, Microsoft revealed the security vulnerability, explaining it has the potential to corrupt memory in such a way that an attacker could execute arbitrary code in the context of the current user.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sc ... t-explorer
Medium problem if you run as a user, high potential for bad stuff to happen if you are running with an Admin account.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Windows 10 PowerToys: How to use and configure FancyZones

by Mark Kaelin in Software on September 25, 2019, 7:18 AM PST
The first two Windows 10 PowerToys are now available for preview, but FancyZones requires significant configuration before it can be beneficial.

Microsoft announced in 2019 that it would renew the popular and sorely missed tradition of releasing specially developed PowerToys utilities, features, and tools for its Windows 10 operating system. The original PowerToys were released for Windows 95 and quickly became popular with so-called "power users" of that era. A set of PowerToys has been released for each Windows version since.

PowerToys for Windows 10 will likely achieve the same level of appreciation among current users as it did so many years ago. Users are consistently looking for ways to get their PCs to work the way they want them to. As of September 2019, the first two Windows 10 Power Toys are available in preview form: FancyZones and the Windows key shortcut guide. However, FancyZones requires configuration before it can be truly useful.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi ... ancyzones/
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Meh. A little late. I've already figured out ways to reconfigure '10 the way I want. When it couldn't be changed in other ways I wanted, I purchased an under $5 shell to do it for me.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I let the computer upgrade to Win10 ver 1909 this morning. It only took a few minutes and I'm not seeing any of the new bugs features. That goes to show how little I look beyond the simple programs Apps in a computer anymore.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

NSA found a dangerous Microsoft software flaw and alerted the firm — rather than weaponize it

The vulnerability — essentially a mistake in the computer code — affects the Windows 10 operating system, the most widely used today, according to the people who were briefed on the matter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess others may have found the flaw in due time, and rather than have government machines hacked the NSA preferred to have the problem fixed.
tek

Post by tek »

questions milling around in my mind:
- does this flaw affect any of the various embedded versions of Windows?
- does any e-voting equipment use those affected versions?
There's no way back
from there to here
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Stop What You're Doing and Update Windows Right Now
The National Security Agency disclosed a major vulnerability in the latest versions of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 to Microsoft, which released fixes for the issue on Tuesday, the MIT Technology Review reported.

The NSA took the unusual step (for an intelligence agency) of issuing a press release on the matter, writing the critical vulnerability affected Window’s core cryptographic functionality and would allow “attackers to defeat trusted network connections and deliver executable code while appearing as legitimately trusted entities.” That could possibly compromise security features including HTTPS connections, signed files and emails, and “signed executable code launched as user-mode processes,” according to the NSA.

It’s hard to understate the potential impact of this bug, which could allow attackers to gain control of hundreds of millions of machines running Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016. MongoDB security principal and Open Crypto Audit Project director told Wired it could have had “catastrophic consequences,” depending on “what scenarios and preconditions are required, we’re still analyzing.” Former NSA staffer and Rendition Infosec founder Jake Williams told TechCrunch that it was well suited for state espionage purposes and essentially acted as “a skeleton key for bypassing any number of endpoint security controls.” Both the NSA and Microsoft kept a tight lid on the vulnerability, sources told TechCrunch, and released patches for government, military, and industry organizations before the patch was rolled out to the general public on Tuesday.
I've heard this bull before.
ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I updated before this went public. I thought it was unusual that two Cumulative Updates came out three days apart.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Has anyone dared to install release 2004? I just did. So far, so good. I don't know what new things they've installed to further cripple Win10, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

ZekeB wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:28 pm Has anyone dared to install release 2004? I just did. So far, so good. I don't know what new things they've installed to further cripple Win10, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.
I would prefer they get through Phase 1 of figuring out what they screwed up before installing a new version. My day job has at times wanted to wait until it was out of support for a year.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

One minor problem so far. It doesn't like where I have my USB sound device plugged in. I had to swap it with my mouse/keyboard input. You get a new Edge browser. It seems worse than the old version. Chrome, my go-to browser now, seems to be as nice and brisk as ever.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Problem solved with USB audio. Windows disabled and hid the device when I upgraded. I use the old control panel whenever i can. Old dog, new tricks thing you know. I was able to change the setting through the All Settings options.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

ZekeB wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 pm You get a new Edge browser. It seems worse than the old version. Chrome, my go-to browser now, seems to be as nice and brisk as ever.
They finally threw in towel and dumped their proprietary browser engine in favor of making Edge a Chromium1 based browser and they still managed to make Edge worse? How is that even possible?

1Chromium is an open-source code created by Google and on which Chrome is based (as is Opera, Vivaldi, and others).
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

No other problems encountered. My internet connection seems to be faster. The ethernet chip or driver may be working better together. I had to change the Zoom of Chrome and Edge to 100%, where they should have been in the first place. I had been running those at 125%. Firefox Zoom is still at 120% for decent text. This causes some minor overlaps on certain web pages. All in all, just a few fixes that should have been addressed years ago.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Privacy Implications of Windows 10 Telemetry: Summary Stats and Conclusions
Posted on Jan 30, 2018

In this article we present summary statistics and conclusions about privacy implications of Windows 10. This report is based on traffic recording of virtual machine with Windows 10, which was run continuously for 346 days, from 2017-02-15 to 2018-01-27. After the installation, Windows 10 was left alone. This OS had default settings and was running without any third party software installed. In total, we have recorded and analyzed 55,945,178,210 bytes of received and transmitted data.

Previous articles: {links not carried over, check article}

About Windows 10 telemetry experiment
Virtual machine network setup
Configuration of traffic recording software
Processing of raw traffic dumps

https://www.pcministry.com/win10_teleme ... nclusions/
Details of stats in article
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Microsoft has started the roll-out of its next spring update version "2004".

From a news item (not linked) they have a new nag screen to urge people to connect to a Microsoft / Outlook account.

The article mentions that there is a modified Notification dialog that allows to suppress this question (also click don't ask again when presented with above question) as several other stuff.
ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I've been using it for the past month. No problems and my old intermittent BSOD problem went away. I use Outlook and always link to a MS account anyway, so I haven't seen any nag screens. When you first install 2004 you'll be presented with a screen of your privacy settings and given the option to change them. Edge has been changed. It's more like Chrome, but I dislike the way it handles readable files such as those in pdf format. Want to or not, it downloads them and you're forced to delete them. All in all, as I see it there's no problem with installing 2004. Expect it to take a LONG time to download and install.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Microsoft just force restarted my Windows PC again to install more unwanted apps
The latest proof you don’t own your Windows 10 computer

By Sean Hollister
Oct 17, 2020, 1:29am EDT

I stepped away from my computer for dinner, halfway through writing a story for The Verge. When I got back, I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Windows 10 had restarted my computer without permission yet again — to install yet another forced OS update onto my solid state drive.

The craziest part: When my machine finished rebooting, it now contained the exact thing I’d been writing about before I was rudely interrupted. Microsoft had installed unsolicited, unwanted web app versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook onto my computer.

OK, it’s not as bad as when my entire computer screen got taken over by an unwanted copy of Microsoft Edge. That was truly egregious.

No, this time Microsoft is merely sneaking unwanted web apps onto my PC — and using my Windows 10 Start Menu as free advertising space. Did I mention that icons for Microsoft Office apps have magically appeared in my Start Menu, even though I’ve never once installed Office on this computer?

My new Start Menu contains shortcuts to Microsoft apps I’ve never installed Screenshot: Sean Hollister/The Verge
These aren’t full free copies of Office, by the way. They’re just shortcuts to the web version you could already access in any web browser of your choice, which double as advertisements to pay for a more fully featured copy.

Because they’re web apps, it’s not like they take up any space on my computer, and I don’t really mind them in my Start Menu. They’re among the least offensive bloatware I’ve seen, and I never really look at the Start Menu anyhow — my taskbar and search bar have long been enough for me.

Nonetheless, they’re the latest proof that Microsoft doesn’t respect your ownership of your own PC, the latest example of Microsoft installing anything it likes in a Windows update up to and including bloatware, and the latest example of Microsoft caring more about the bottom line than whether a few people might lose their work when Windows suddenly shuts down their PC. Luckily, I didn’t lose any work today, but a friend of mine recently did:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/17/215 ... oint-excel
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I have Windows 10, of course, and nothing like that happens to me. I wonder what's different about this guy. :think:

:resist:
Only 7 days until the election!
I ride tandem with the random.
ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Me neither. Mine only does forced restarts when I tell it to update now. Oh course who knows what third party apps he has installed or how he has his update options set.

realist

Post by realist »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:33 am I have Windows 10, of course, and nothing like that happens to me. I wonder what's different about this guy. :think:

Ditto here. :confused:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Return to “Computers & Internet”