Windows 10

Volkonski

Re: Windows 10

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 am

Just got a popup notice that My PC is about to get the Windows 10 Creators Update. :o I had to answer some questions about security preferences. Now stuff is happening in the background. I will be given a second notice before the update begins so I can save my work.

Hope this goes well. :?

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 am

Volkonski wrote:Just got a popup notice that My PC is about to get the Windows 10 Creators Update. :o I had to answer some questions about security preferences. Now stuff is happening in the background. I will be given a second notice before the update begins so I can save my work.

Hope this goes well. :?
In our local IT news it was mentioned that one has to review all security settings and preferences especially in respect to privacy. It seems that the update does not carry forward all privacy settings. I understand that one reduce privacy settings to a minimal set of data that cannot be suppressed (machine id and license number). It was also mentioned that some new features are not readily available but must get tracked down. Read some websites that decribe the new stuff and how to get them if interested.

ETA. one IT news media mentioned that one can upgrade prior Windows 7 and 8 versions too. It seems that Microsoft did silently enable this features for latecomers or those who were not ready to upgrade during the initial launch ending mid-2016.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:31 pm

You mean Developer's Update? I hated those because they were so buggy and really didn't offer me anything that regular Windoze doesn't already give me.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

vic

Post by vic » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:02 pm

ZekeB wrote:You mean Developer's Update? I hated those because they were so buggy and really didn't offer me anything that regular Windoze doesn't already give me.
No, Microsoft called this update "Creators Update". It's for Creators. see? And people who like thinking they are creators.

The features page talks about inspiration and imagination, and "set[ting] ideas in motion"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Creators Syndicate....

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:05 pm

vic wrote:Microsoft called this update "Creators Update". It's for Creators. see? And people who like thinking they are creators.

The features page talks about inspiration and imagination, and "set[ting] ideas in motion"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features
Don't suppose it talks about removing autonomy, choice and consent from customers? The more I read about W10, the less I want it. Forced "updates", massive spying, locked out of system admin etc. They can prise W7 from my cold, dead hand. If I have to migrate, I will install a bootlegged Enterprise OS with all the telemetry disabled. Or else my casual dabbling with Linux Mint will get serious.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 pm

How are those Bose headsets werkin' out fer ya? :)

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 pm

I am one of those less-than-computer-literate types who wait to see everyone else's experience with a new version of Windows before I buy it (actually, not until my current computer gasps its last breath). I avoided Vista that way, and a couple of other dud Windows. I am still holding back on Windows 10 and keeping my Windows 7 and for all I know I might never switch. I am happy with W7 and there's nothing more that I need to do with a computer. God, I miss my Commodore-64 !

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 am

I have an HP desktop that I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last year. Now every time MS pushes an update on Windows 10 it freezes during reboot. If I do a hard reboot it will complete. Has anyone else seen this problem? I don't like having to do it that way.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:43 am

Fortinbras wrote:I :snippity: I am happy with W7 and there's nothing more that I need to do with a computer. God, I miss my Commodore-64 !
I think Windows 7 was the best OS Microsoft ever wrote. Windows 10 is a close second but it doesn't offer me anything I need that Windows 7 won't do.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Since Microsoft took Windows7 off the market, be on the lookout for books on W7 in used bookstores and the like. I don't think anyone is printing any W7 books or magazines now, so keep your eyes open for publications on the secondhand market.

My experience with Commodore-64 taught me, secondhand bookstores seldom buy books for discontinued computers so you may not find these books there, but look at the charity thrift stores, the annual church bazaars, the annual alumni sales, and the like. If you're going to hang onto your W7 computer, invest in as many helpful publications as you can because soon enough that information will be gone for good.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Amazon!!!!

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Windows 10 Creators Update installed itself this morning. Took much longer than I expected, about an hour. When I first tried using the Edge browser after the update it wouldn't open any Facebook, YouTube or Google pages for some reason. I checked these on Chrome and they opened just fine. After a little while Edge did open them. I do not think I changed any settlings. :confused:

Edge did forget all my passwords. :(

One other thing, the overscan setting on the graphics card reset to zero.

Overall not too painful.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun May 14, 2017 9:14 am

I updated three machines to Windows 10 Creator this week. I downloaded the update utility instead of waiting. I updated one desktop and two laptops. The installations actually went pretty well. My HP desktop had been freezing during every Windows update prior to this one but it did fine with Creator. It took over an hour per machine as I expected. I can't see a big difference. I noticed Paint has been enhanced to Paint 3D. I don't use Edge so if it had problems I wouldn't know. I don't use Cortina and I turn off targeted ads and diagnostic stuff.

Sound wasn't working on my desktop but I Googled the issue and ran the HP troubleshooter. It fixed it although I am not sure what exactly was the issue. I was getting an application error at startup on my newer laptop with something called "esrv.exe". I Googled that and found it was the Intel Driver Update Utility. For now I uninstalled it. I think that driver updates get delivered eventually through Windows Update so I probably don't need it anyway.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun May 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Okay, after Microsoft told me that Creators Edition was available and it was better than sliced bread (which is far worse than good old unsliced bread) I let it install. Everything seems to be working fine except: Where in the world do I change my title bar and icon text sizes? Inquiring minds really want to know.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun May 14, 2017 5:09 pm

ZekeB wrote:Where in the world do I change my title bar and icon text sizes? Inquiring minds really want to know.
In Control Panel, select Display. (At least that's how you do it in Windows 8.1. I will not be happy if they change that in Windows 10.)

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun May 14, 2017 5:30 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
ZekeB wrote:Where in the world do I change my title bar and icon text sizes? Inquiring minds really want to know.
In Control Panel, select Display. (At least that's how you do it in Windows 8.1. I will not be happy if they change that in Windows 10.)
Nope. This is something they changed on release 1703.

Edit: Those basted ones. They removed my old Windows 7 games. Again. I had to re-install the modified games, but they work again.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun May 14, 2017 7:44 pm

I was watching a video today about Windows 10S. Beginning this summer Microsoft will be supplying this OS for new PC's including their own Surface Pro. It is going to really suck. You will only be able to install software from the Windows Store. Edge will be the default browser and you cannot change it. Bing will be the default search engine and you cannot change that either. The only way out of MS hell is to pay $50 and upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I can't believe they think they can get away with this.

Hektor

Post by Hektor » Sun May 14, 2017 8:11 pm

To be fair to Microsoft, Windows 10 S is intended to be a competitor to Chrome OS which has started to find a niche in the extremely cheap laptop market. Windows 10 home will still be available, and it's actually cheaper to go from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro than it is to go from Windows 10 Home to Pro. That being said, why on earth they want to cripple the Surface line with this OS as standard is beyond me.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 pm

I hate Bing with the flaming passion of a thousand white hot suns. 9 times out of 10, when my husband or cats hears me holler "fuck" back here, it's because my cursor has jumped down from my google search bar down to the bing one and I get their shitty results. I cannot even describe the level of hatred I have for bing searches.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 pm

This alone is enough to dissuade me from buying a Surface. MS is starting to act more and more like a bloated company that has seen better days. I predict this will be a big fat fail. I'd never buy a computer with this OS installed.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sun May 14, 2017 11:08 pm

I still have Windows 10 Home on board my upgraded ASUS Win 8 machine AND my ASUS ZenBook with Win 10 preinstalled. Reading about Creator put me off from it's description I read a few weeks ago and I determined I wouldn't be getting it. So I guess it's not automatic for all and that's a good thing, right?

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 am

For those who were wary of Windows10, and stuck to XP, the recent European siege of ransomware seems to have been tailored to the fact that most beaureaucratic computers were still running Windows XP.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/still-use ... are-worst/

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am

Fortinbras wrote:For those who were wary of Windows10, and stuck to XP, the recent European siege of ransomware seems to have been tailored to the fact that most beaureaucratic computers were still running Windows XP.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/still-use ... are-worst/
I am not surprised that government organizations would be the ones running an OS that is three releases behind and hasn't been supported with security patches since 2014. That is very irresponsible and just asking for trouble.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon May 15, 2017 11:19 am

I remember reading back in 2014 that Microsoft would continue to issue patches for Windows XP but just for large institutions and the government. I'm sure there was some procedure they had to go through and a cost involved in order to get those updates. I'm also sure that some folks around the world ignored that and continued to use unpatched versions of XP.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Return to “Computers & Internet”