Windows 10

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 29145
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: Windows 10

#526

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:48 am

I'll look at it at the beach.


When reality is outlawed only outlaws will have reality.

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 22696
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: Windows 10

#527

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 am

Don't let the sand get into your harddrives ;)



User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#528

Post by Reality Check » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:51 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 am
Don't let the sand get into your harddrives ;)
That's another reason to switch to a solid state drive. ;)


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 22696
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: Windows 10

#529

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:57 am

Reality Check wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:51 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:44 am
Don't let the sand get into your harddrives ;)
That's another reason to switch to a solid state drive. ;)
When the crunch isn't coming from brunt toast :twisted:



User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 29145
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: Windows 10

#530

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:27 pm

Yeah well there isn't a lot of sand in our condo. I haz a 1TB SSD. I will check if there's an update for it.

At home I get 360 Mpbs download speeds. Here it's 4.59 Mpbs. :(


When reality is outlawed only outlaws will have reality.

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 22696
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: Windows 10

#531

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:37 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:27 pm
Yeah well there isn't a lot of sand in our condo. I haz a 1TB SSD. I will check if there's an update for it.

At home I get 360 Mpbs download speeds. Here it's 4.59 Mpbs. :(
You don't have yet a Huawei approved 5G connection provided by Soros :?:



User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#532

Post by Reality Check » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:19 am

I finally upgraded my last PC to the latest Windows 10 version. It is an old Dell Studio dual core with only 4 GB of RAM and I am on a really slow connection here in the mountains. It took about 3 hours to download and another 2-3 hours to install but it completed without a hiccup. I was almost shocked it went that well.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 16183
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: Windows 10

#533

Post by ZekeB » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:24 am

I have a so-called '50 fiberoptic connection and it still took about 90 mins when I upgraded to 1903. That upgrade is just plain dawg slow.


Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Shizzle Popped
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: South of Circle City
Occupation: Semi-Retired

Re: Windows 10

#534

Post by Shizzle Popped » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:35 am

I think all of my PCs have been updated except maybe the NUC in my workshop. Windows 10 is my favorite version so far and has generally only needed restarts for updates. However, it seems like they do something to screw up my home network with every major release. This time around it was credentials. Even though the HomeGroup was eliminated in an earlier update, apparently the credentials were left in place and still worked until the 1903 update. I hadn't really thought about it until I suddenly couldn't connect to the shares on my media server. So I had to remove the old credentials for my servers and add new ones on each computer when the update was completed. Not a big deal but it would be nice if Microsoft would someday make home networking at least reasonably reliable. I also have two computers that don't show up on the network unless the Function Discovery Resource Publication service is stopped and restarted after a reboot. One of them started that behavior with the last update and the other started with 1903. The service is set to delayed start on all of my computers but I only have the problem on these two. I haven't been able to track down what's causing the problem so I just setup a scheduled task that kicks off a batch file to stop and start the service a few minutes after a boot. Other than those two issues 1903 has installed without much trouble on 9 computers.


If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#535

Post by Reality Check » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm

I got a scare on my HP desktop. I had noticed that since the 1903 update was installed it would go to a black screen sometimes when coming out of sleep mode. Nothing would seem to get video back except a hard reset by holding down the power button. That's not a cool thing to do of course.

I updated the video driver but it still locked up periodically. Last night I decided to do a BIOS update. I had tried it once before but it failed to update. Yesterday I got it the update to install but after that it would not boot. It went into a Windows troubleshooting screen. I almost did a complete restore but as a last resort I went into the UEFI screen and found the the BIOS update had switched the default boot drive back to the electromechanical data drive instead of the SSD with the OS installed. I switched the order to boot from the SSD and it booted normally to Windows.

The moral of the story is that BIOS updates can do bad things.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 45330
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Windows 10

#536

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 am

I have a Mac Air 11 inch laptop. It's 9 years old. It has solid state memory, which I've expanded. And Boot Camp. I was used to programs for PCs, so I had the Mac store download Windows 7 on the computer when I purchased it.

Over the years I had the OS updated until Microsoft no longer supported it. And then one day a dialogue box appeared saying I was running a counterfeit copy. This was not helpful when I used the laptop to drive a projector for exhibits during jury trials. At some point I became so frustrated I tried to buy either a Windows 7 upgrade or Windows 10 but I couldn't download either.

So one day I bit the bullet and went to the Microsoft store (directly across the floor from the Apple store) at my local mall (and a lot smaller and with only a couple of people walking around). I told the store personnel my problem and asked them to download Windows 10 for me. They took in the computer (I think the first Mac they had ever been given) and told me to come back in 3 days.

When I came back the Microsoft employees told me I didn't have enough space to download Windows 10, but that they had downloaded the last updated Windows 7 professional, and said that it should last for some time.

Since I only rarely use that computer now, mostly in court and for limited purposes, the Windows 7 works fine and I don't get the counterfeit warning any more.

The best thing about the work by Microsoft was they did it for me for free. I was flabbergasted.

I will need a new laptop soon, though. I'm not looking forward to buying one. But I suppose it will have Windows 10 or the next iteration downloaded and work like a dream. I hope. Any suggestions? I use a desktop most of the time and the laptop only in court and when I am traveling (which isn't often).



User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 16183
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: Windows 10

#537

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am

Get a laptop with a decent keyboard. Make that your first priority. I have a higher end Dell laptop that was purchased in 2013 and the keyboard is awful. I have to look twice whenever I hit the space bar. About half the time I have to hit it twice. It has been that way since it was new. The keyboard is slightly smaller than a standard keyboard which causes me to hit the wrong keys. If you're going to buy one locally, try to find a dealer who will let you try one out for a few days. Obviously you can't put work programs on it, but you can see how it feels and how the monitor looks after looking at it for 30 minutes. I won't go into details about a mouse pad. I hate them all. I use an external mouse with my laptop.


Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#538

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am

I have an HP Elite book from 2013. It has a decent keyboard. It is a touch screen but I would not get a touch screen again. I just don't use it and it degrades the display slightly. Since I don't travel for work much any longer I use it connected to a 55 inch Samsung 4K TV with a wireless keyboard and mouse. When there is nothing on TV I just switch to the PC and watch videos or browse the Fogbow and other sites. I upgraded to a solid state drive earlier this year.

When I have to replace it I am going to look at Lenovo and Acer. I have heard good things about both.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 45330
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Windows 10

#539

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am
Get a laptop with a decent keyboard. Make that your first priority. I have a higher end Dell laptop that was purchased in 2013 and the keyboard is awful. I have to look twice whenever I hit the space bar. About half the time I have to hit it twice. It has been that way since it was new. The keyboard is slightly smaller than a standard keyboard which causes me to hit the wrong keys. If you're going to buy one locally, try to find a dealer who will let you try one out for a few days. Obviously you can't put work programs on it, but you can see how it feels and how the monitor looks after looking at it for 30 minutes. I won't go into details about a mouse pad. I hate them all. I use an external mouse with my laptop.
Zeke I, too, hate touchpads. I have a small mouse and a Bluetooth dangle for it that I plug in when I use the damn thing. And the keyboard is a real weakness on my computer. It is overly sensitive and when I merely pass my fingers near a key sometimes it will move large swaths of text, plunking a phrase into some other part of the document on which I am working. When I was in Virginia earlier this year and needed to prepare and file a document in Los Angeles, I dragged out an old Apple keyboard, plugged it in, and used it. A good workaround which, nevertheless, defeats the portability of a laptop.

My daughter recently bought a very fancy laptop for law school but it was $2000+. (Thank God she has a rich Father.)



User avatar
tek
Posts: 3873
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Windows 10

#540

Post by tek » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 am
And then one day a dialogue box appeared saying I was running a counterfeit copy.
ISTR that was a bug in the microsoft authorization server.. ah, yes: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... re-issues/


There's no way back
from there to here

Somerset
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:52 am
Location: Silicon Valley
Occupation: Lab rat

Re: Windows 10

#541

Post by Somerset » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 pm
ZekeB wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am
Get a laptop with a decent keyboard. Make that your first priority. I have a higher end Dell laptop that was purchased in 2013 and the keyboard is awful. I have to look twice whenever I hit the space bar. About half the time I have to hit it twice. It has been that way since it was new. The keyboard is slightly smaller than a standard keyboard which causes me to hit the wrong keys. If you're going to buy one locally, try to find a dealer who will let you try one out for a few days. Obviously you can't put work programs on it, but you can see how it feels and how the monitor looks after looking at it for 30 minutes. I won't go into details about a mouse pad. I hate them all. I use an external mouse with my laptop.
Zeke I, too, hate touchpads. I have a small mouse and a Bluetooth dangle for it that I plug in when I use the damn thing. And the keyboard is a real weakness on my computer. It is overly sensitive and when I merely pass my fingers near a key sometimes it will move large swaths of text, plunking a phrase into some other part of the document on which I am working. When I was in Virginia earlier this year and needed to prepare and file a document in Los Angeles, I dragged out an old Apple keyboard, plugged it in, and used it. A good workaround which, nevertheless, defeats the portability of a laptop.

My daughter recently bought a very fancy laptop for law school but it was $2000+. (Thank God she has a rich Father.)
My work computer is a Dell Latitude 7480 Laptop and a Dell WD15 docking station connected to two 24" monitors. A USB keyboard and mouse are connected to the docking station, as are the monitors, and the station connects to the laptop by a single USB-C cable. When I'm in the office, it's essentially a desktop with three monitors, and when I travel I just unplug the laptop and use it by itself.

At home is similar. I have a 13" MacBook Pro and a 27" 4K monitor, with an external USB keyboard/bluetooth mouse.

The keyboards on both laptops are OK, and for me the trackpad on the Mac is good (the haptic feedback is kind of cool :) ). I hate the trackpad on the Dell (and Mrs Somerset's HP laptop), so we have external mice for these.



User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 16183
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: Windows 10

#542

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm

I'm looking at the ratings on a certain consumer testing magazine. The top two are the Apple Mac Book Pro 15 and the Samsung Notebook Pen 9 (2019 model). They have the same overall rating, but the Samsung rates a tad higher on ergonomics, which includes the keyboard. The Apple lists for $2400 and I've never seen Apple discount their prices. The price shown for the Samsung is $1700. Both are touch screen. I have no use for a touch screen. I'd be happy if they'd lop $50 off the price of a computer and delete the touch screen. Apparently you don't get to do that. There is a single review of the Samsung and the reviewer is singing the praises like I'd expect of a professional advertiser. In other words, don't bother reading the review. These computers are in the 15 to 16 inch screen size category. When I looked at the 17 inch screen laptops the ratings dropped significantly.


Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#543

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm
I'm looking at the ratings on a certain consumer testing magazine. The top two are the Apple Mac Book Pro 15 and the Samsung Notebook Pen 9 (2019 model). :snippity:
I would never buy a MacBook. I am not paying over $2000 for a laptop that has the SSD and RAM soldered in place.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
neonzx
Posts: 6595
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 am

Re: Windows 10

#544

Post by neonzx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm

I found a replacement for my dying (or Stern speak: 'virus infected') Lenovo. Another Lenovo. :bag:
It was a Prime Day(s) special, like $469. Trying out a downgrade on screen size in exchange for the tablet-style functionality. Reviews are very good, except some complaints about available RAM (8gig w 2 dedicated to the graphics card). But there is an extra slot to pop in additional. I'll decide that later.
Can't wait for it to get here so I can scrap the old one. (bleach-bit, strip the reusable components, 'Office Space' treatment of the hard drive) I'll enjoy dropping it off at the county electronics waste collection depot.


To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#545

Post by Reality Check » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:51 pm

I learned recently that Windows 10 by default turns on a power setting called "fast boot". I won't go into what it does but you can Google it and find all the details. The bottom line is that with this setting turned on you are not really doing a full shutdown when you shut down Windows. The RAM is still powered and holds some things in memory.

That's great if it works but I began having startup issues on my HP Pavilion 590 desktop after the last Windows feature update. The PC would boot to a dark gray screen and lock up. I had to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to get it to reboot. Crashing down like this can be a recipe for disaster.

After trying several things I finally stumbled across this fast boot setting under the system and power menu. I turned it off and that seems to have cured the issue. I believe the problem might have been related to installing an NVME M.2 SSD and moving the OS over to that. It does take slightly longer to boot but it still boots quickly with the SSD as the boot drive. If your PC is having trouble booting at times you might check this setting.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 16183
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: Windows 10

#546

Post by ZekeB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:14 pm

I turned fast boot off. That setting is hidden in the power settings. Look carefully or you will miss it. If you boot from a SSD you'll hardly notice the difference. In fast boot you'll have a devil of a time if you need to get into your BIOS. You have to hit your F2/Del/whatever key at precisely the right time when running fast boot.


Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#547

Post by Reality Check » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:14 pm
I turned fast boot off. That setting is hidden in the power settings. Look carefully or you will miss it. If you boot from a SSD you'll hardly notice the difference. In fast boot you'll have a devil of a time if you need to get into your BIOS. You have to hit your F2/Del/whatever key at precisely the right time when running fast boot.
Yes, you have to go to the advanced power settings and select "choose what the power buttons do". Then you still have to unlock the boot setting. Of course you have to be logged in as an admin to do this.

You are correct about fast boot making it hard to get into the BIOS. When I installed the SSD I had a heck of a time getting into the BIOS (it's esc on my HP) to change the boot order. I had to try two or three times.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#548

Post by Reality Check » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:29 am
I now have W10 1903 on all four of my PC's. It finally completed on the older HP desktop that the installation had failed twice before. My speakers aren't working but I have had trouble with sound card drivers on that PC before. I am sure I can work that out eventually.
I finally got around to addressing this issue. I requested the latest driver in Windows and that fixed it. This HP mother board has Creative sound built in to the board. It's given me driver issues on Windows updates before.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

User avatar
tek
Posts: 3873
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Windows 10

#549

Post by tek » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Windows fast boot does not leave the system partially running.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pr ... rtup-mode/

Apparently the biggest hassle it causes is that, because the system state is saved (similar to hibernate), there are some things the BIOS can't do.


There's no way back
from there to here

User avatar
Reality Check
Posts: 15898
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Windows 10

#550

Post by Reality Check » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm

A complicating factor with my system is that the HP NVME drive that contains my OS does not have on board DRAM but uses some of the PC RAM for caching. This lowers the price of the drive but I can see where this might cause issues with Windows fast start. Since I turned off fast start it has booted perfectly every time.


"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Post Reply

Return to “Computers & Internet”