Windows 10

Volkonski

Re: Windows 10

Post by Volkonski » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:04 am

The roll out starts today!

Windows 10 April 2018 Update: the 10 best new features

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/30/1730 ... res-review

Timeline is the major new feature here, and it replaces the familiar Task View button that shows what apps are currently running on a system. Timeline lets you see what apps are running, but also what apps and activities you’ve used on your Windows 10 PC in the past 30 days. These activities and apps sync across multiple machines, so if you’ve been using a laptop for a document you can easily pick up the same activity on a desktop PC that you’re also signed into.
Windows has had a variety of dictation tools over the years, but Microsoft is creating a quick way to access the built-in Windows 10 version with the April 2018 Update. You can launch it with the windows key + H keyboard shortcut, and it will let you dictate into any app. I even wrote this part of the article using the dictation tool, and if you’ve got a good mic it works really well.
Chrome added tab muting recently, and now Microsoft is bringing the same feature to Edge. You can mute loud and annoying websites with this feature, and spare any audio blasting out of your speakers. Microsoft has also tweaked the performance and design of Edge. Microsoft Edge certainly feels better to use as a default browser with this update, but it still needs work to truly compete with Chrome.
Microsoft is adding in some great new audio features with this Windows 10 April 2018 Update. You can now set the input or output audio devices per application. You could have Spotify audio blasting out of your speakers, while your browser audio comes through a headset. The new audio settings let you customize both the input and output per application, so it’s also useful if you use different microphones across a variety of apps.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:04 am
The roll out starts today!

Windows 10 April 2018 Update: the 10 best new features

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/30/1730 ... res-review
:snippity:
Chrome added tab muting recently, and now Microsoft is bringing the same feature to Edge. You can mute loud and annoying websites with this feature, and spare any audio blasting out of your speakers. Microsoft has also tweaked the performance and design of Edge. Microsoft Edge certainly feels better to use as a default browser with this update, but it still needs work to truly compete with Chrome.
:snippity:
In the now current version v66 they changed it from optional muting by right-clicking the tab to get a menu to silence the bugger to have all tabs automatically muted and showing an "unmute" option over video clips (or unmute in tab menu).

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 am

New Windows 10 vulnerability bypasses OS defenses, says security researcher
Vulnerability could be exploited to run arbitrary code on PCs.

By Nick Heath | June 27, 2018, 4:41 AM PST

Windows 10 PCs are at risk from hackers exploiting a file format to bypass key defenses in the OS, according to new security research.

The .SettingContent-ms file type can be used to to run arbitrary, and potentially dangerous, code, research by the security firm Specter Ops security has found.

The arbitrary code could be run on a target machine by getting a user to open a Word document that contains an embedded .SettingContent-ms file.

This embedded file would include a link to the arbitrary code, and tests run by Specter Ops' Matt Nelson found neither Office's built-in (Object Linking and Embedding) OLE protections nor the Attack Surface Reduction (ASR) defenses offered by Windows 10 with Windows Defender stopped the code being executed.

Nelson says that the code isn't blocked by Office's OLE protections due to .SettingContent-ms not being included in Office's list of "dangerous" file formats.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ne ... esearcher/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:31 am

Windows 10 update broken Google Chrome? Microsoft releases new fix
The latest round of patches for Windows 10 resolves recent issues with Google's popular browser.

By Nick Heath | June 27, 2018, 5:17 AM PST

If you've been struggling to get Chrome to work on Windows 10 then help may be at hand.

Microsoft's latest round of patches for the OS resolves an issue that was stopping Chrome from working on some Windows 10 devices.

The fix should resolve issues with all versions of Chrome following build 67.0.3396.79, which was released in early June.

It is not the first time that Windows 10 has clashed with the popular Google browser. After Microsoft introduced a bundle of new features to Windows 10 with the April 2018 Update, a number of users complained about frozen screens and other issues.

These latest patches for Windows 10, bundled under the update KB4284848, are for machines that have applied the April 2018 Update and are running build 1803.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi ... s-new-fix/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Open, Cortana: Voice assistant used to bypass locked Windows 10 machine security
Exploit of Microsoft's Cortana did not require any external code.

By Charlie Osborne for Zero Day | August 9, 2018 -- 15:17 GMT (16:17 BST) | Topic: Security

Researchers have revealed how Microsoft's Cortana could be used to bypass the security protection of Windows 10.

Speaking at Black Hat in Las Vegas this week, security researchers Amichai Shulman and Tal Be'ery from Kzen Networks, alongside the Israel Institute of Technology's Ron Marcovich and Yuval Ron, said a vulnerability existed in the voice assistant which allowed the bypass of the Windows 10 lock screen.

As reported by Threat Post, the vulnerability, dubbed "Open Sesame," opens the door, bypassing the lock screen, and allows threat actors to locally perform "dangerous functions."

The bug, CVE-2018-8140, lay within Cortana's default settings. Described as a "Cortana Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability," the vulnerability impacts Windows 10 machines and Windows 10 Servers.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/open-cort ... -security/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:29 am

Windows 10 April 2018 Update: How to change camera and microphone privacy settings
By Mark Kaelin

Modern computing devices often come equipped with cameras and microphones attached to them to facilitate collaboration and teamwork in a mobile workforce that is disbursed across different physical locations. The audio/visual hardware is necessary for conferencing, document sharing, and other coordinated activities. But how do you know exactly who and what has access to your device's camera and microphone at any given time?

With the deployment of the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, Microsoft has simplified application access to cameras and microphones. Easier access to these devices encourages the development of more and better collaboration applications, but it also allows for the possibility of abuse by criminals and unscrupulous individuals by creating yet another potential security vulnerability.

However, the April 2018 Update also adds more control and more granularity to the Windows 10 privacy settings associated with your camera and microphone. The new privacy settings allow users to decide for themselves whether their audio/visual hardware is accessible and, if it is, which applications have that access.

This how-to tutorial shows you how to access both the camera and the microphone privacy settings after the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi ... -settings/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am

You mave think your files have disappeared but Storage Sense sneaks them into the cloud
Windows 10: This new preview helps you free up disk space by clearing old files
Microsoft updates its Storage Sense app for freeing up local disk space.

By Liam Tung | September 12, 2018 -- 09:40 GMT (10:40 BST) | Topic: Enterprise Software

The latest preview includes several bug fixes but also brings a range of new controls to Storage Sense, Microsoft's smart storage tool introduced in last April's Creator's Update that will at some point replace the legacy Disk Cleaner utility.

This update to Storage Sense aims to help users of OneDrive Files on Demand, a feature for working with lots of data stored in the cloud from a storage-constrained device.

Files on Demand avoids using local disk space by making the files available online-only from OneDrive, but still searchable via File Explorer as if they were locally available. However, once users open an online-only file to work on, it's downloaded from OneDrive and takes up disk space unless it gets reset as online-only.

Storage Sense can now target older, unused, cloud files that have been made locally available and make them online-only. This builds on existing Storage Sense features that delete leftover temporary files and empty the Recycle Bin.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... old-files/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Windows 10 October 2018 Update: What you need to know
The latest major feature update to Windows 10 is now available. Here's what it includes, how to get it early or how to delay it.

By Nick Heath | October 3, 2018, 4:41 AM PST

The next major feature update to Windows 10, the October 2018 Update, is now available.

The upgrade offers a variety of new features and tweaks aimed at home users and businesses.

Key additions include a cloud clipboard that provides a history of copied and clipped content across different devices and new Storage Sense options for automatically clearing hard drive space. Meanwhile, IT pros get a simpler interface for controlling system security and various command line and Windows Subsystem for Linux improvements.

To see a full round-up of what's on offer check out our guide to the top new features and our walkthrough of the notable changes aimed at businesses and IT admins. [links in full article R.]

While the update is available from today, it won't start arriving via Windows Update until October 9th, and even then may take a long time to arrive on your PC due to the phased nature of the rollout.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi ... d-to-know/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Hummmm… mine is installing 1809 via Update as I sit here. I didn't ask for it or anything. I'll have to figure this one out.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:18 am

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
Microsoft yanks the document-destroying Windows 10 October 2018 Update
Day four exceeds all expectations as Microsoft steps back from brink

By Richard Speed 8 Oct 2018 at 09:28 44

Microsoft has taken the unprecedented step of pulling a Windows 10 release a mere four days after its arrival amid a clamour of users complaining about files not being where they had left them.

Windows Insider supremo Dona Sarkar took to Twitter to announce that Windows fans would no longer be able to get their hands on the afflicted build. Redmond said the automatic rollout would also be paused until it works out just what in blue blazes is going on.
Dona Sarkar @donasarkar

#WindowsInsiders If you've run into the "missing files after update" issue for 1809/October 2018 Fall update, please call our support line. They have the tools to get you back to a good state. This build is no longer available to download manually: https://support.microsoft.com/enus/help ... te-history

6:33 PM - Oct 6, 2018
Microsoft's advice to those who have downloaded the build is: for goodness' sake, don't install the thing. However, if you have gone ahead and allowed the update to do its stuff and been hit by the missing files issue, leave your PC alone and give Microsoft a telephone call for help.

The update made an appearance on 2 October, having gone directly into the hands of users rather than spending some time in the Windows Insider Release Preview ring first. If you have installed it, and everything is hunky dory (as it is for us), then there is no need to worry.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/0 ... 10_pulled/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 am

Night Light doesn't work on mine. It won't automatically set my night hours either. It trashed my Old Windows Games installation, but every other major update has done the same. I was expecting such and reinstalled those. I'm probably missing something, but haven't noticed anything else yet.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 am

ZekeB wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 am
Night Light doesn't work on mine. It won't automatically set my night hours either. It trashed my Old Windows Games installation, but every other major update has done the same. I was expecting such and reinstalled those. I'm probably missing something, but haven't noticed anything else yet.
What I have seen about missing files is that for some users the Documents / Photos / Videos / Music folders disappear.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 am
What I have seen about missing files is that for some users the Documents / Photos / Videos / Music folders disappear.
That's rather significant.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 am

They rather large music collection is still there. I keep my photos elsewhere.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Cumulative update for 1809, as we as a few other updates, just came out. I installed the update, but I have no idea what it fixed. The Night Light feature still does not work correctly for me.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:02 pm

only when you are using compressed folders...
Windows 10 October 2018 Update: New .ZIP bug could lead to data loss, admits Microsoft
The bug occurs when copying or moving compressed files from a .ZIP folder to a regular or protected folder.

By Nick Heath | October 25, 2018, 4:40 AM PST

Microsoft has admitted that a second bug made it into the Windows 10 October 2018 Update that could result in data loss.

Windows 10's October 2018 major feature update was only available for six days before it was pulled due to a file-wiping bug.

The bug deleted files stored in the user's Documents and Pictures folders, resulting in the loss of years' worth of files on some PCs.

Now Microsoft has confirmed the update contains a second flaw that, while more minor than the original, could also lead to data being lost.

The bug occurs when copying or moving compressed files from a .ZIP folder to a regular or protected folder.

As a Microsoft support agent explained:

"There is a known issue in the Windows 10 October Update where the consent prompt 'Do you want to replace these files' is missing when copying contents from a .ZIP file," the agent wrote.

"With the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, if you copy or move files from a .ZIP file (without first 'extracting' the contents) in to a new destination folder that contains duplicate filenames or is write-protected, you don't get a 'Do you want to replace these files' prompt. It will appear that the files were overwritten, when in fact the copy action for those files is not executed and files have not been overwritten."

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi ... microsoft/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Out of the clear blue skies last night, Windows10 advised me that my copy was not activated. I've had this legitimate copy since the Windows 7 days - upgrading to 8.0, 8.1 and now '10. It's digitally activated and when I go to my Microsoft Account, it shows that I'm registered there. Still no go at my end. Microsoft's "engineers" are working feverishly on the problem, so they say.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:06 am

A Bug Appears to Deactivate Windows 10 Pro (UPDATE: Fix Coming)

Microsoft's had a rough month. The company attempted to release the Windows 10 October 2018 Update during its namesake month only to pull it after numerous file system bugs were discovered; it still has yet to be re-released to the public. Now several Redditors have reported that their Windows 10 Pro licenses have been mysteriously deactivated, with their systems prompting them to install Windows 10 Home instead. Windowsunited.de was among the first to report on the issue.

It's not clear what's causing this issue. Numerous people said their Windows 10 Pro license was carried over from Windows 8, so it could be related to that migration, though it's strange to encounter problems like this so long after Windows 10 debuted. Several members of the Windows Insider Program who tested Windows 10 Pro before its release have also had this problem, which could mean the migration path isn't at fault.

Update, Nov. 8, 3:36 p.m.: "We’re working to restore product activations for the limited number of affected Windows 10 Pro customers." said Jeff Jones, a senior director at Microsoft.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-b ... 38041.html

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 am

Well I got my activation back last night, about 24 hours after I first noticed the problem. The weird thing was that it said I had an invalid activation number, yet I've had a digital activation for years. it wouldn't let me sign on to that account. Apparently the activation number lurks in the system somewhere, despite the New, Improved digital activation.

BTW, I received an Insider e-mail this morning asking if I wanted to try the lastest development. Build 19H1. No, thank you.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:53 am

Watch out for bogus warnings to downgrade Windows 10
Windows 10 users running genuine copies of the Pro edition are being told to swap to Windows 10 Home after what appears to be an issue with Microsoft's activation servers.

By Nick Heath | November 8, 2018, 6:50 AM PST

A number of Windows 10 Pro users have received warnings to downgrade to Windows 10 Home due to possible problems with Microsoft's activation servers.

Reports came in overnight that Windows 10 Pro systems were displaying a notification that the user's license key was invalid for the Pro edition and advising to install Windows 10 Home instead. The message also gives users the option of purchasing a new key to reactivate their copy of Windows 10 Pro, despite users having a genuine Pro key.

The problem initially appeared to be affecting users who took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 and who were previously running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro. However, reports emerged later of similar problems on PCs that had only ever run Windows 10.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wa ... indows-10/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:45 am

They fixed that last week.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:53 am

Microsoft re-releases Windows 10 October 2018 Update today after pulling it offline
October update, or November update?
By Tom Warren@tomwarren Nov 13, 2018, 1:00pm EST

Microsoft is releasing its Windows 10 October 2018 Update again today, after bugs forced the company to pull it offline last month. A number of Windows 10 users reported missing files after the update was released in early October. While Microsoft did re-release the update to beta testers, it has taken the company more than a month to fully test it and release it more generally today.

“In addition to extensive internal validation, we have taken time to closely monitor feedback and diagnostic data from our Windows Insiders and from the millions of devices on the Windows 10 October Update, and we have no further evidence of data loss,” explains Microsoft’s John Cable, director of program management for Windows servicing and delivery.

MICROSOFT IS STILL TAKING A CAUTIOUS APPROACH WITH THIS UPDATE

Windows 10 October 2018 Update will now hit Windows Update for a small percentage of users today, and people will need to seek it out by checking for updates for it to even be installed. Even then, the update might not appear if there is an app compatibility issue. Microsoft is taking a very cautious approach. “If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you ‘Check for updates,’ so you avoid encountering any related problems,” says Cable.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/13/180 ... er-release
A German language news item reports that MS has again stopped distribution after several more incompatibilities have turned up. The article goes on a rant for MS using the Home version users as guinea pigs as they are unable to stop the updates from coming. Pro and Commercial users can decide when they wish to install in the upgrade.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:04 am

I've been running it for the past month on this computer and on my laptop. No problems. They even fixed a Nightlight issue I've been having, with an update last Friday.

Return to “Computers & Internet”