Windows 10

Foggy

Windows 10

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Today I installed Windows 10 Preview Edition in a virtual machine (Oracle VM Virtual Box). Not installing it forealdo until it's officially released, probably late next year.

No, I don't know the answer to the question that people all over the world are asking, including goatherds in Tibet and pearl divers in the Phillipines. What happened to Windows 9?

I'm gonna play around with it some, see how it goes. So far it's a lot like 8.1 ... but the start button is back ... but the start button has a Metro feel to it ...

Yowza. 8>

Welcome, seeker! (There's a seeker born every minute.)

ZekeB

Windows 10

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:25 pm

I have the iso burned to a CD. I plan on installing it tomorrow as soon as a ssd arrives. I'm just going to make my system a tri boot instead of a dual boot. Foggy, did you do a clean install or did you install it over a copy of 8.1? I'm thinking install over 8.1, thus leaving all my existing drivers and programs in place.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

gupwalla

Windows 10

Post by gupwalla » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm

For the goatherds, apparently Microsoft thinks its new Windows version is so big a leap forward it deserves two digits. They would have sent a stronger message by taking it up to 11, but oh well.

Sekrit Stuffs!
Not my original reference. I shamelessly stole it from someplace on the interwebs. It was too good not to use, though.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Foggy

Windows 10

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:38 pm

I installed it in a virtual machine on a computer running Windows 7.

I'll email you the instructions, which worked perfectly. I hope you still get email at the address I have on your account. Here it comes!

ZekeB

Windows 10

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Got it, Foggy. I'm reading now. Making a plan for tomorrow. Have you noticed any bugs so far?

Foggy

Windows 10

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Nope. But the only thing I've done is install Firefox and wonder what the hell the math drawing board is all about.

Oh, and I learned to run it full screen and 800 x 600, otherwise I couldn't see the whole desktop.

The monitor on that machine is 1366 x 768, but I had to fiddle with it to see the whole thing.

SueDB

Windows 10

Post by SueDB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 am

It's a limited demo.

It's not 9 cause of Win95 and Win98.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

ZekeB

Windows 10

Post by ZekeB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Here it is. Windows 10 all nice and neatly installed. Right now the start button looks like 8.1. I removed Start8. I'll have to figure out how to change things.

Roboe

Windows 10

Post by Roboe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:45 pm

It's a limited demo.

It's not 9 cause of Win95 and Win98.

Indeed. Apparently the engineers at Microsoft discovered that way too many programmers had used a lazy hack to check if users were running Win95/98. The lazy hack? Checking for "Windows 9".

ZekeB

Windows 10

Post by ZekeB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:18 pm

All done. I have an external SATA 3 slot on top of my computer case. I wrote an 8.1 image to a new SSD which I had inserted in that slot. After that I disconnected all other disk drives and booted to the external SSD. I over installed Windows 10 from an ISO on a CD to this drive, having Win 10 keep all 8.1 settings. It seemed to take forever. I reconnected my other drives and checked the dual (now tri boot) startup screen and saw where it found the new operating system. The only thing I forget to do with '10 was to turn off the fast boot option. Apparently that was one old option that '10 did not bring over from 8.1. It never asked for a Product Code. <shrug> Do not run in fast boot mode while using a dual boot. That ^%!@$#% chkdsk program will come up and annoy you whenever to boot to a different system.

It took a lot of kludging to make '10 look almost like the Start8 screen on my 8.1 system. The right click on the start button is awkward. They need a quick way to configure '10 to look like a Windows 7 desktop. I'm using a 23 inch LG monitor and all settings were brought over from 8.1. The text appears to be a bit sharper and clearer. They still do not allow you to change some text font settings as they did in Windows 7. No bugs or gremlins noticed, yet...

My install is on an external SSD so I can just pull it out if things don't work out. If anyone else wishes to install a copy I would suggest that you configure it in a VM environment or use a dual boot with '10 in its own drive. I strongly suggest that you not install this while a "good" operating system is still connected.

SueDB

Windows 10

Post by SueDB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:08 pm

It hasn't even reached beta status yet.

magdalen77

Windows 10

Post by magdalen77 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:55 pm

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will start using this when Windows 14 is available. In other words, we'll be using it in 3 years or so.

Adrianinflorida

Windows 10

Post by Adrianinflorida » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:03 am

Butterdezillion will start using it....never. She's still on Win 98 judging by the tech skills of most of the Freepers. I final have 8.1 working the way I want, he'll it was a struggle to get most of my racing telemetry programs and car interface software to work with 8.1 perfectly. (I still have an old Dell that I have to use with one of my versions of a program that I use to read data from older racing dashboards because it refuses to work well with USB cables and requires a serial cable....ugh).

Funny story, old laptops in good condition are actually worth a fortune to Ferrari and other racing teams that still run their older cars for clients and demos. The newer laptops just will not work with the old software and will not talk to the older cars and engine management systems.

SueDB

Windows 10

Post by SueDB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

If stuff runs on XP or compatibility within XP, Lifehacker.com has an article about firing up the virtual machine in 8.1 to run XP.

Virtual XP

Adrianinflorida

Windows 10

Post by Adrianinflorida » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 am

99% of the time compatibility mode takes care of issues, the other biggie is to set the program to run as an administrator, I've fixed problems where programs crash the minute they try to write a file to a location that win 8 thinks it shouldn't. In Administration mode, they work. The hardware issues are simply that hardware. Some older serial bus peripherals just won't work with USB adaptors or with win 8 drivers. It's hard to tell a client "sorry, can't see what's wrong with your £200,000 car, because I forgot my 10 year old laptop. :)

ZekeB

Windows 10

Post by ZekeB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:48 am

I've never found Compatibility Mode to work. It may have helped a completely non functioning program function, but there were always those little glitches that remained. Either those old programs work or they don't. I have an old MVP Bridge card game that I used under Windows 98 and it still works well, even with Technical Preview.

DejaMoo

Windows 10

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:22 pm

No, I don't know the answer to the question that people all over the world are asking, including goatherds in Tibet and pearl divers in the Phillipines. What happened to Windows 9?

Mindful of the urban legend about the Chevy Nova, Microsoft decided not to risk releasing a product that could be called Windows Nein.

Edited to add link to the UL, for those unfamiliar with it.

SueDB

Windows 10

Post by SueDB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Mindful of the urban legend about the Chevy Nova, Microsoft decided not to risk releasing a product that could be

called Windows Nein. 4

The Pinto is the one that should have been named for an exploding star. Had a 63 Nova Conv. Fun in Texas in 73.

magdalen77

Windows 10

Post by magdalen77 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Mindful of the urban legend about the Chevy Nova, Microsoft decided not to risk releasing a product that could be

called Windows Nein.

The Pinto is the one that should have been named for an exploding star. Had a 63 Nova Conv. Fun in Texas in 73.

I had a '69 Nova, hardtop. It was fun in PA in '75-'77. The only problem is that my daddy bought it from a co-worker's daughter. Said daughter was going through a divorce and the ex was testy. It took him a while to figure out that the small woman with the long brown hair who was driving the Nova was not his ex-wife. On the bright side, I got good at losing a tail and I made good friends with the afterhours dispatchers at the local PD (for the times when I just wanted to go home and didn't want to have to waste an hour losing someone, I'd ask them if they could call a patrol car to follow me home). I probably should have always just gone to the PD, but I was young and ornery.

ducktape

Windows 10

Post by ducktape » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:10 pm

In the 1970s, I did the advertising for an automotive holding group that had three Ford dealerships. The owner was Born Again in the worst way, but he had a lot of money and was willing to let my ad agency spend it. One year, we gave him a company song as a Christmas present. He loved it, and made everyone sing it at the Christmas party. But he only knew about one verse, and there were more verses that selected managers knew:

Every Pinto that you ride

You know that God is on your side

The recall that we made on them

Won't help you in a crash.

But bring it in, we guarantee

Your place in eternity.

For just six ninety-five

We'll put a Jesus on your dash.

The things we did to keep our sanity ...

Gnarly Goat

Windows 10

Post by Gnarly Goat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Three letters: OS X

"Don't waste time mourning. Organize." - Joe Hill

gatsby

Windows 10

Post by gatsby » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:56 pm

I've never found Compatibility Mode to work. It may have helped a completely non functioning program function, but there were always those little glitches that remained. Either those old programs work or they don't. I have an old MVP Bridge card game that I used under Windows 98 and it still works well, even with Technical Preview.

Ditto. I disabled the compatibility service in Win7. I often use a 2006 laptop, so I've gone through the services and disabled or, in the alternative, set to manual as many non-crucial services as possible.

I popped in here to be a smartass and ask why I should upgrade from Win7. In the past, I've always run tech previews and betas, but Win7 has been rock solid for me. But I saw the comment about Win10 improvements with text display. That's something I would upgrade for.

gatsby

Windows 10

Post by gatsby » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Three letters: OS X

Can't disagree. Is anyone running hackintosh on a PC?

gatsby

Windows 10

Post by gatsby » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm

I installed it in a virtual machine on a computer running Windows 7.

I'll email you the instructions, which worked perfectly. I hope you still get email at the address I have on your account. Here it comes!

Could you please send them to me, too? I downloaded Virtual Box and was planning to use it to run Win10.

ZekeB

Windows 10

Post by ZekeB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 pm

I have Foggy's copy. I'm keeping it as a reference. I will admit that I let my lazy nature take over. I bought a Crucial MX100 128g SSD from Amazon for $73 and then made an image copy of my 8.1 OS to that SSD. You can do same with Win7 if you wish. The Crucial SSD includes instructions on how to download an Acronis Image program. I already have a better one. Once I made the image I disconnected all my other drives and booted to the new image. I then installed Technical Preview to that OS copy, using the upgrade option. All my old drivers and setting and such were kept.

After that I plugged my other drives back in and already had Paragon's multi boot program on my default drive. It found the new OS and installation could not have been easier.

Return to “Computers & Internet”