Net Neutrality

Addie

Net Neutrality

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Subject line has changed.

-----

[link]Wall Street Journal,http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1892041790[/link]

Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast to End Traffic Jam

Netflix Inc. NFLX -0.63% has agreed to pay Comcast Corp. CMCSA -1.37% to ensure Netflix movies and TV shows stream smoothly to Comcast customers, a landmark agreement that could set a precedent for Netflix's dealings with other broadband providers, people familiar with the situation said.

In exchange for payment, Netflix will get direct access to Comcast's broadband network, the people said. The multiyear deal comes just 10 days after Comcast agreed to buy Time Warner Cable Inc., TWC -0.79% which if approved would establish Comcast as by far the dominant provider of broadband in the U.S., serving 30 million households.

For months Netflix and Comcast have been in a standoff over Netflix's request that Comcast connect to Netflix's video distribution network free of charge. But Comcast wanted to be paid for connecting to Netflix's specialized servers due to the heavy load of traffic Netflix would send into the cable operator's network. Under the deal, Netflix won't be able to place its servers inside Comcast's data centers, which Netflix had wanted. Instead, Comcast will connect to Netflix's servers at data centers operated by other companies.

Netflix Chief Executive Reed Hastings decided to strike the deal after Netflix saw a deterioration in streaming speeds for Comcast subscribers. According to Netflix data published in January, the average speeds of Netflix's prime-time streams to Comcast subscribers had dropped 27% since October. Mr. Hastings didn't want streaming speeds to deteriorate further and become a bigger issue for customers, the people said.

¡Sterngard! come home.

kate520

Net Neutrality

Post by kate520 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:15 pm

This is what the end of net neutrality looks like. Behemoths like Comcast will not be proper gentlemen about what they want. I realize this was a negotiation and it sounds like Netflix wanted a free lunch, but still. Please please please don't let TW and Comcast merge! {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

jonbeck

Net Neutrality

Post by jonbeck » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a good idea, but Netflix is a private company with a profit motive. Charging Netflix for preferred access shifts the cost to Netflix users rather than to Comcast users. It is like a tax on gasoline to pay for roads. If I do not use Netflix why should I be subsidizing their use of Comcast broadband?

SueDB

Net Neutrality

Post by SueDB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a good idea, but Netflix is a private company with a profit motive. Charging Netflix for preferred access shifts the cost to Netflix users rather than to Comcast users. It is like a tax on gasoline to pay for roads. If I do not use Netflix why should I be subsidizing their use of Comcast broadband?Comcast/Xfinity is a private company also.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SueDB

Net Neutrality

Post by SueDB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Comcast and Netflix are publicly traded. [link]CMCSA,http://cmcsk.com/financials.cfm[/link] and [link]NFLX,https://www.google.com/#q=NASDAQ:NFLX[/link]ETA: Not that it means they're not in it to maximize their profit, just that they're not private companies.In this case ... the difference between government owned - Public - and Privately owned by "someone" ie. stockholders. They are publicly traded, but not publicly owned.

ducktape

Net Neutrality

Post by ducktape » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a good idea, but Netflix is a private company with a profit motive. Charging Netflix for preferred access shifts the cost to Netflix users rather than to Comcast users. It is like a tax on gasoline to pay for roads. If I do not use Netflix why should I be subsidizing their use of Comcast broadband?If you don't use Netflix or some other streaming service, then you can buy a lower tier of service.Comcast is also a private company with a profit motive. You ALREADY "pay for the roads" if you are a Comcast subscriber. That is an analogy that just doesn't fly.

SueDB

Net Neutrality

Post by SueDB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a good idea, but Netflix is a private company with a profit motive. Charging Netflix for preferred access shifts the cost to Netflix users rather than to Comcast users. It is like a tax on gasoline to pay for roads. If I do not use Netflix why should I be subsidizing their use of Comcast broadband?If you don't use Netflix or some other streaming service, then you can buy a lower tier of service.Comcast is also a private company with a profit motive. You ALREADY "pay for the roads" if you are a Comcast subscriber. That is an analogy that just doesn't fly.Comcast signals come from everywhere, so if you use the internet at all, you are already "paying" to allow access in a certain way of thinking. We pay for the infrastructure that they all run on. Remember where the money came from for the Internet? Some government entity called DARPA - for short means - financed by the generous excesses of the American Taxpayer.

SueDB

Net Neutrality

Post by SueDB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Is Internet network access a "right" or just another privilege??? :-k :-k :-k :-k

Addie

Net Neutrality

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:48 pm

[link]Ars Technica,http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/02 ... j-reports/[/link] has a statement from Netflix and Comcast in an update to this article: Netflix is paying Comcast for direct connection to network, WSJ reports

¡Sterngard! come home.

SueDB

Net Neutrality

Post by SueDB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:49 pm

[link]Ars Technica,http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/02 ... j-reports/[/link] has a statement from Netflix and Comcast in an update to this article: Netflix is paying Comcast for direct connection to network, WSJ reportsBut not a Co Located Server only for the "wire" that connects the systems.

ZekeB

Net Neutrality

Post by ZekeB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm paying for a direct connection to Comcast. I don't see why anyone, NetFlix included, shouldn't also be paying for a direct connection. Occasionally I download a Directv On Demand show via my WiFi and through Comcast. It is dog bone slow. I usually need to wait until the movie is half downloaded before I can begin to watch it.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Mikedunford

Net Neutrality

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:03 pm

In this case ... the difference between government owned - Public - and Privately owned by "someone" ie. stockholders. They are publicly traded, but not publicly owned.Right, they're a money-making business, but one that has shareholders and trades its stock, so it isn't privately owned.1: Based on what I've learned in school recently, I'd say that "privately owned" is generally understood to mean "not owned by the government." "Privately held" and/or "closely held" are the terms normally used to refer to companies that are not listed on an exchange.

2: If there is a difference between "publicly traded" and "closely held" that is relevant in the context of the net neutrality debate, I'm not sure what it would be. "Publicly held" doesn't typically create any extra duties to the non-shareholding public.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

jonbeck

Net Neutrality

Post by jonbeck » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:14 pm

I used the term private as in "owned privately", not as privately held.As a private company the market should dictate how the resource (broadband) is shared. The only way to equitably apportion the costs of large downloads is to "tax" the actual download.

gatsby

Net Neutrality

Post by gatsby » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:32 pm

It's extortion by Comcast.

Somerset

Net Neutrality

Post by Somerset » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a good idea, but Netflix is a private company with a profit motive. Charging Netflix for preferred access shifts the cost to Netflix users rather than to Comcast users. It is like a tax on gasoline to pay for roads. If I do not use Netflix why should I be subsidizing their use of Comcast broadband?If you don't use Netflix or some other streaming service, then you can buy a lower tier of service.Comcast is also a private company with a profit motive. You ALREADY "pay for the roads" if you are a Comcast subscriber. That is an analogy that just doesn't fly.A better analogy might be that you already pay for access, but that access doesn't mean it should be OK for you to clog up the shared roads with fleets of semis.

Mikedunford

Net Neutrality

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:38 pm

I think people are trying to make the point that cable via Comcast isn't a Public Utility. Which is true. "Private company", though, is not the correct term for making the distinction between Government-owned or run and not Government-owned or run.Privately-owned companies/ private companies are companies that don't publicly trade stock: sole proprietorships, partnerships, etc. Public companies are companies that trade shares. Edit:When you describe a company as private, business people and investors would understand you to mean not traded.I sincerely doubt that anyone (including business people and investors) would read the use of "privately owned" original post in context as meaning "not traded." The meaning, in context, was crystal clear. I would also note that my business associations class last semester discussed the differences between publicly traded and closely held corporations at great length, without once using "privately owned" as a synonym for "closely held."

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Chilidog

Net Neutrality

Post by Chilidog » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a good idea, but Netflix is a private company with a profit motive. Charging Netflix for preferred access shifts the cost to Netflix users rather than to Comcast users. It is like a tax on gasoline to pay for roads. If I do not use Netflix why should I be subsidizing their use of Comcast broadband?If you don't use Netflix or some other streaming service, then you can buy a lower tier of service.Comcast is also a private company with a profit motive. You ALREADY "pay for the roads" if you are a Comcast subscriber. That is an analogy that just doesn't fly.Yeah, go ahead and try that. Comcast has a monopoly where I live. (Actually its comcast or ATT.)

Sterngard Friegen

Net Neutrality

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:04 pm

In this case ... the difference between government owned - Public - and Privately owned by "someone" ie. stockholders. They are publicly traded, but not publicly owned.Right, they're a money-making business, but one that has shareholders and trades its stock, so it isn't privately owned.1: Based on what I've learned in school recently, I'd say that "privately owned" is generally understood to mean "not owned by the government." "Privately held" and/or "closely held" are the terms normally used to refer to companies that are not listed on an exchange.

2: If there is a difference between "publicly traded" and "closely held" that is relevant in the context of the net neutrality debate, I'm not sure what it would be. "Publicly held" doesn't typically create any extra duties to the non-shareholding public.I'll wait for you to sort out the meaning of "Public School" in England until after you've gradjiated from Law School.

ZekeB

Net Neutrality

Post by ZekeB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 pm

[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Repton_School]Here is an English "Public School" with a tuition of approximately $25,000 per year.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

ducktape

Net Neutrality

Post by ducktape » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Net neutrality sounds like a good idea, but Netflix is a private company with a profit motive. Charging Netflix for preferred access shifts the cost to Netflix users rather than to Comcast users. It is like a tax on gasoline to pay for roads. If I do not use Netflix why should I be subsidizing their use of Comcast broadband?If you don't use Netflix or some other streaming service, then you can buy a lower tier of service.Comcast is also a private company with a profit motive. You ALREADY "pay for the roads" if you are a Comcast subscriber. That is an analogy that just doesn't fly.Yeah, go ahead and try that. Comcast has a monopoly where I live. (Actually its comcast or ATT.)Monopoly or not, Comcast has several tiers of service at different. Have you called them to ask? Thought not.

Return to “Computers & Internet”