ePublishing/eBooks/eReaders/Tablets

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Got a new Kindle Fire. Can any tech-types here walk me thru the process, if one exists, of transferring my books from my Nook to the Kindle?

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Got a new Kindle Fire. Can any tech-types here walk me thru the process, if one exists, of transferring my books from my Nook to the Kindle?I don't know if you can. The Nook and the Kindle use different digital rights management formats and are incompatible to the best of my knowledge. It's possible that since Barnes & Noble is discontinuing the Nook Amazon may try to work something out so that they can help former Nook users switch to Kindle more easily but I don't think they have anything set up yet.The best resource I found for information on e-book readers is a forum called Mobile Read ( mobileread.com ). The people there are very knowledgeable, and if there's any way to make such a transfer, they will most likely know about it. Good luck! And enjoy the Kindle. I've had one for a while and absolutely love it.

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks, lyssandri! I found a post on CNET indicating that you can download a Nook app onto your Fire. I'll also try the forum you suggested. As you say, since Nook, and indeed, Barnes & Noble itself are headed into nothingness and nonbeing, probably lots of Nook users are wondering the same thing.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks, lyssandri! I found a post on CNET indicating that you can download a Nook app onto your Fire. I'll also try the forum you suggested. As you say, since Nook, and indeed, Barnes & Noble itself are headed into nothingness and nonbeing, probably lots of Nook users are wondering the same thing.[/break1]about.com/od/kindlefire/ss/How-To-Install-Nook-And-Kobo-Apps-On-Your-Kindle-Fire.htm]http://google.about.com/od/kindlefire/s ... e-Fire.htm[/break1]com/]http://calibre-ebook.com/

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Perfect, Volkonski! I'm so glad that the antics of that insane racist moron Orly Taitz led me to join this forum.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:07 pm

For anyone snapping up the Nook HD+ ($149), it can now get its apps from Google Play, so the first thing I put on it was the Kindle app.My new Kindle Fire HD was supposed to be here today, but FedEx was late getting it to my local PO, so I might be able to comment on that tomorrow.No, I'm not a gadget freak -- there's a reason I have to have all these (and the Chromebook).

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:50 am

[link]Kindle Daily Deal,http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000677541[/link] Today only, 50 exciting mysteries & thrillers.Deal Price: $1.99 each

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm

[link]Kindle Daily Deal,http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000677541[/link] Today only, 50 exciting mysteries & thrillers.Deal Price: $1.99 eachThe complete works of Ed McBain, it looks like. I liked his 87th Precinct novels, but not enough to to order them for my Kindle.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 pm

[link]Kindle Daily Deal,http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000677541[/link]

Today only, 50 exciting mysteries & thrillers.

Deal Price: $1.99 eachThe complete works of Ed McBain, it looks like. I liked his 87th Precinct novels, but not enough to to order them for my Kindle.He wrote over 50 of the 87th Precinct novels alone. Throw in another 15 or so Matthew Hope books and we're waaaaay past 50 already. Including all his other pseudonyms, I wouldn't be surprised if he has written 300 or more books. I did love The Blackboard Jungle though.

Here's to golden days and purple nights.

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Wasn't Matthew Hope a lawyer? I think I read them but was unimpressed.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Wasn't Matthew Hope a lawyer? I think I read them but was unimpressed.Yep, in Calusa, FL. Another fictional town created by Hunter's fertile imagination.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:04 am

Bought Mom an HP Chrome Netbook a few weeks ago, $299. HP - Pavilion 14" Chromebook - 4GB Memory - 16GB Solid State Drive - Sparkling BlackModel: 14-c015dx SKU: 9122084Google Chrome OSTechnical details: Intel® Celeron® processor; 14" display; 4GB memory; 16GB solid State driveSweet machine, regular sized keyboard. Plugged in her favorite mouse and she was good to go. I had to find her some solitaire games, but otherwise she's quite happy with it.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 am

I had to find her some solitaire games, but otherwise she's quite happy with it. :(( ](*,)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:18 am

I had to find her some solitaire games, but otherwise she's quite happy with it. :(( ](*,)You were supposed to send me a password, I thought. :-k

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:23 am

I use the web site Fantastic Fiction. It lists authors, books, future releases, etc. Ed McBainA pseudonym used by Evan HunterEd McBain was the first American to receive the Diamond Dagger, the British Crime Writers Association's highest award. He also holds the Mystery Writers of America's coveted Grand Master Award, and received an Edgar Award nomination for his novel Money, Money, Money. His books have sold more than one hundred million copies, ranging from the more than fifty titles in his outstanding 87th Precinct series to the bestselling novels The Blackboard Jungle and Criminal Conversation, written under his own name, Evan Hunter.[/break1]fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/ed-mcbain/]http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/ed-mcbain/Evan Hunter(Salvatore A Lombino)USA (1926 - 2005)akaJohn Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Ed McBain, Richard MarstenEvan Hunter debuted in 1954 with THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE a bestseller in both hardback and paperback. He has since established himself as one of the foremost explorers of the American psyche. Eight of his ten books have been made into motion pictures or television mini series. He also penned the screenplay for THE BIRDS.Evan Hunter died Wednesday, July 6th 2005, at his home in Weston, Conn. He was diagnosed with throat cancer three years ago and also had had three heart attacks and triple-bypass surgery. He was 78.[/break1]fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/evan-hunter/]http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/evan-hunter/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

ProudObot

Post by ProudObot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 am

Wasn't Matthew Hope a lawyer? I think I read them but was unimpressed.Yep, in Calusa, FL. Another fictional town created by Hunter's fertile imagination.Akshully, Sugar, Hunter based Calusa on Sarasota, FL, where he lived for many years. It was fun reading the books and recognizing the many landmarks he included.

ismails

Post by ismails » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 am

what is current HP Chrome Netbook ?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:32 am

Wasn't Matthew Hope a lawyer? I think I read them but was unimpressed.Yep, in Calusa, FL. Another fictional town created by Hunter's fertile imagination.Akshully, Sugar, Hunter based Calusa on Sarasota, FL, where he lived for many years. It was fun reading the books and recognizing the many landmarks he included.Isola was based on Manhattan too, but they are still imaginary cities.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:31 pm

[link]All Things D,http://allthingsd.com/20130731/politica ... efcat=news[/link]

Political Sniping Explodes on Amazon After Obama’s Kindle Singles Interview

President Obama is front and center on Amazon’s homepage right now, and his arrival has brought partisanship and political sniping along with it.

Amazon is featuring a [link]free 15-page Kindle Single interview,[/link] with the president, a day after he [link]toured one of the company’s warehouses,http://allthingsd.com/20130728/with-pre ... ouse-jobs/[/link].

But if you want some help deciding whether the read is worth your time, well, don’t expect to get it from the Amazon reviews section.

Currently, 107 of the 122 reviews rate the interview with either five stars or one star. If you’re guessing that political party affiliations are playing a role in the ratings and reviews content, you probably read the headline of this post.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Today [link]at Amazon,http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000677541[/link].

Gold Box Deal of the Day: Kindle Daily Deals Anniversary, 65+ Titles for $2.99 or Less

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:24 pm

A couple of good ones. I'm a fan of Connelly, Eisler, and Pelecanos. Ordered The Detachment.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:26 pm

The [link]new Paperwhite,[/link] is available for pre-order in the US; shipping 9/30. Looks awfully nice.

Adding:

[link]Gizmodo,http://gizmodo.com/the-new-amazon-kindl ... 1245621747[/link]: The New Amazon Kindle Paperwhite: Better Screen, Same Kindle (Hands On)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Aieeeeeeeeeeeee!! My Paperwhite is obsolete already! Life is NO FAIR!!

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Well, let us know how you like the new one ... when it arrives :P Aieeeeeeeeeeeee!! My Paperwhite is obsolete already! Life is NO FAIR!!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Ohboyohboy :joy:

[link]New York Times,http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/0 ... w-program/[/link]

Amazon Pairs Print and Digital Books With New Program

For most readers, print and electronic books are an either-or proposition. There just isn’t a compelling reason to buy both editions of one book, at least not at full price.

Amazon is about to test how much appetite there is for combined print-and-digital book purchases if it cuts the price of Kindle books to less than that of a Starbucks latte.

On Tuesday, the company plans to announce a new program, Kindle MatchBook, that lets its customers buy the electronic versions of books they have already purchased in print form for either $2.99, $1.99, $0.99 or free. That’s far less than the $11 or more that Amazon typically charges for standalone purchases of the latest Kindle titles.

One benefit of MatchBook is that Amazon will let its customers buy Kindle editions of books that they purchased in print [highlight]as far back as 1995[/highlight], the year Amazon opened for business. The discounted Kindle edition prices apply to book purchases made in the future on Amazon too.

Return to “Computers & Internet”