Online Restaurant Food Delivery - DoorDash, Postmates, Uber Eats, Direct Order - How Much Do You Tip?

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Online Restaurant Food Delivery - DoorDash, Postmates, Uber Eats, Direct Order - How Much Do You Tip?

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:34 pm

We've been having a blast with online restaurant delivery but it's dangerously yummy and easy to use! Anybody else using restaurant delivery yet? What's your experience with them?

We've found a few tips:

Use Ebates for DoorDash, right now it's 7% Cash Back (not including delivery), adds up fast. Just go to ebates.com first and click through to DD.

We like DoorDash, we're using the free 30 days (most seem to have it) of delivery (they still have a service charge, but not as much, it pays for itself but we'll probably cancel before the 30 and try another).

Postmates sends a lot of free delivery emails and even free food offers with purchases, they've done pretty well.

But we really like the places you can order from directly: Outback, PF Chang (even though they use Postmates) and others. With Outback, after 3 orders, the next order is 50% off to $20. Got a 16oz Prime Rib dinner with sides for $20, can't beat it. And with the places you can order from directly, if there's an issue they can fix it vs. having to call Postmates customer service in Chicago which we found worthless except for a gift card.

Amazon Restaurants isn't in our ZIP yet but we're hearing soon.

Haven't tried Uber Eats... we thought it was the same cars as passengers and that sounded yucky but hearing they are a different fleet. They need to make that clearer.

We like some of the places with big portions because it lasts for 2 days (sometimes 3) which really makes it cheap. Cheesecake Factory (on DoorDash with 7% cashback through Ebates) has huge portions. Red Lobster too. It's fun to try different kinds of cuisines too, and with the app it really shows you how long it's going to take.

We tend to tip 10% since there's a service charge too... in restaurant always 15-20% but this is just delivering a bag. Are we being too cheap? What do you tip on these if you order?

Guess what, Denny's even delivers! We'll have to ask Foggy, if a Grand Jury all orders from Denny's at once, would a True Bill be valid? :P

Photo: Merry Christmas from the titular Mama June. Santa (aka Sugar Bear) and her lovely family!
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Kendra

Re: Online Restaurant Food Delivery - DoorDash, Postmates, Uber Eats, Direct Order - How Much Do You Tip?

Post by Kendra » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 pm

I'm a bit slow to new to this, but I love the new Amazon restaurants program. I like going through Amazon pay. I think the new program is still new, restart in my work area are plentiful, but zip at home. 0543556 cool if we want lunch brought in.

tek

Re: Online Restaurant Food Delivery - DoorDash, Postmates, Uber Eats, Direct Order - How Much Do You Tip?

Post by tek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 am

We've had a restaurant delivery service here since 1990 :-D

IIRC they now have a "minimum tip" of 10%... which is what I usually do.. 15% if it is a very cheap order.. my understanding of their pay system is that the drivers get pretty screwed.

IMHO the tip shouldn't apply until AFTER the order is delivered, else it isn't a "tip" ... but haven't thought through how that should work..

at a higher level, this general idea of a tip for doing exactly what you were supposed to do is puzzling (I don't get a tip for MY work..)

There's no way back
from there to here

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 am

So far we've used Uber Eats and Bite Squad, both with free delivery coupons and LOVE IT! Probably too much. Sometimes I tip $5 cash and sometimes, with Bite Squad, I add it to the total. But if I can I tip with cash. If I were the delivery person, I'd prefer a nice, quiet cash tip. I've never had an expensive delivery, never more than $25 for the food, so I hope $5 is ok. The guy who brings us our Mexican food (our staple) only has to drive around the corner, maybe a mile tops, so I'd think so, right? Nobody's ever had to drive more than two miles (we have so many great restaurants in SWFL, they're EVERYWHERE!)

ImageImageImage x4

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:24 am

I drive for Door Dash. We've used DD and Grub Hub in the past. I typically tip 20%. Roommate usually about 15%.

The tips and delivery charge are how we get paid (It's on 1099). I can tell you the following:
  • Teenager ordered a smoothie from a local smoothie joint
  • Smoothie cost is $4.99 on website.
  • I paid $4.89 when I picked it up.
  • Doesn't tell me how much of a tip she added (if any)
  • I was paid $7.56 for the trip.
  • $5.99 delivery fee listed on site.
So... She probably tipped about 1.50. I know that UberEats is similar, as is Grub Hub. Along with all of the other delivery services for food and groceries. I'm considering picking up doing Shipt as well, which is grocery delivery.

Anyway. That is how it works from the Driver's side. We get a portion of the delivery charge, plus any tips. Usually the food is paid for via the website. When it's not, I have a "red card" I can use that is like a debit card. The company puts an instant amount when the order comes through if I have to pay for it when it's picked up. This usually happens with the fast food places.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:34 am

We have used DoorDash and Waitr. Generally service has been good. Tip about 15%.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Computers & Internet”