So Long, Google+

DejaMoo

So Long, Google+

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Google+ to shut down after coverup of data-exposing bug
Google is about to have its Cambridge Analytica moment. A security bug allowed third-party developers to access Google+ user profile data since 2015 until Google discovered and patched it in March, but decided not to inform the world. When a user gave permission to an app to access their public profile data, the bug also let those developers pull their and their friends’ non-public profile fields. Indeed, 496,951 users’ full names, email addresses, birth dates, gender, profile photos, places lived, occupation and relationship status were potentially exposed, though Google says it has no evidence the data was misused by the 438 apps that could have had access.
:snippity:
Google made that announcement about the findings of its Project Strobe security audit minutes after the WSJ report was published. The changes include stopping most third-party developers from accessing Android phone SMS data, call logs and some contact info. Gmail will restrict building add-ons to a small number of developers. Google+ will cease all its consumer services while winding down over the next 10 months with an opportunity for users to export their data while Google refocuses on making G+ an enterprise product.

Google also will change its Account Permissions system for giving third-party apps access to your data such that you have to confirm each type of access individually rather than all at once. Gmail Add-Ons will be limited to those “directly enhancing email functionality,” including email clients, backup, CRM, mail merge and productivity tools.
The tightening of access to Android phone data by third-party developers is years past due. Some app companies have actually had their employees access and read app users' personal emails as part of their research on how to improve their product.

Yep. Those permission notices you blow right past while installing an app or a Gmail add-on? They often allow the app developers to do that kind of stuff.

I had a right go-round with my Local Union's leadership over this recently, regarding their proposed use of a third-party app to enable them to send out newsletters, announcements, and surveys to the membership. I was the only one who read the terms of use. The TOS not only granted permission for the app developer to access the email account of the sender, it also by default granted permission to scrape data from recipients' accounts. I pointed out that we would be, in effect, telling Company M that it was okay by us to surreptitiously collect data from everyone to whom we sent email, and did we want to expose our members to that without their knowledge or consent?

And all these young kids (compared to me) said it didn't matter. That nobody cares about that anymore. That everyone knows that stuff happens, anyway.
I've heard this bull before.

Suranis

Re: So Long, Google+

Post by Suranis » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Some people say that the App generation will be better able to deal with the treats from the internet as they have grown up with it. From what I've seen, the new generation is so fucking ignorant about technology and its implications that I would put them in charge of a popsicle stand.
Edit: I mean "smart lightbulbs." Putting Microphones all over your house so you can let a server take over any aspect of your home? That's things idiots are doing these days.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Suranis wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 pm
Some people say that the App generation will be better able to deal with the treats from the internet as they have grown up with it. From what I've seen, the new generation is so fucking ignorant about technology and its implications that I would put them in charge of a popsicle stand.
Edit: I mean "smart lightbulbs." Putting Microphones all over your house so you can let a server take over any aspect of your home? That's things idiots are doing these days.
Assimilating to the Borg is where it's at these days ya old fuddy duddy...Of course, when I d/l an app and a screen pops up saying "Permission to access every piece of information about you down to your genetic makeup?", I can't press "Yes" fast enough to get to the game endorphine-delivery system...
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Google Accelerates Google+ Shutdown After 52.5 Million Users' Data Exposed
December 11, 20188:29 AM ET
BILL CHAPPELL

Google+ will shut down in April instead of August, after a new data vulnerability was found in its software.

The Google+ social network inadvertently gave app developers access to information on some 52.5 million users — even data that users designated as private — because of a "bug" in its software, Google says. The company had already announced it was pulling the plug on the social network because of an earlier incident, and now says the shutdown will happen four months sooner.

Users' name, birth date, email address, work history and other information were exposed for nearly a week in November, Google says in a blog post about the privacy flaw.

Google announced in October that it was closing the consumer version of Google+ because of a vulnerability that left nearly 500,000 accounts exposed reportedly from 2015 to March 2018, as well as the fact that it had failed to catch on.

There was no evidence that data was misused in either incident, Google says.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/11/67552979 ... s-shutdown

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:02 pm

so, google- ?

Return to “Computers & Internet”