Amazon Alexa and its competitors

AndyinPA

Re: Amazon Alexa and its competitors

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Now that's really weird. And more reason not to plug too many things into Alexa. I would be very unhappy if that happened to me and would pull the plug, but probably not permanently. I'll be curious to see what the problem turns out to be.

And it makes me very unhappy that Bezos has just been named the wealthiest (112 billion?) person in the world. Maybe he could afford to pay his workers better.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Amazon Echo Silver - For the Greatest Generation

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:22 pm
Okay, so in the end it was decided on price. Amazon Echo on promotion at £75, v Google Home at £130. Arrives tomorrow, gains full self awareness by 12:00 GMT and commences the AI war on humanity at 12:03 GMT. That's if I can work out how to switch it on....
Not impressed, so far. Alexa's capacity to parse questions is very poor, she often resorts to reciting the Wikipedia lede for one word in isolation. "How many people voted in the last American election?" for example. Clearly ambiguous and incomplete, but Google assistant guessed right and reported the turnout for Trump v Clinton. Alexa read me the first two lines from an article about the concept of voting.

The hardware is very solid, but the AI is disappointing. Hopefully it will improve through practice and experience.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Yeah, if you are using it for research you could do on a laptop you will be disappointed. I use it to set timers, get the weather report in various locations, make lists and listen to music (sometimes).

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:24 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:51 am
To me, none are worth the cost of having every sound in my home shipped off to a server somewhere for processing, classification, and storage.

But that's just me.
I don't know what I'd use one of these gadgets for, and I'm at the point where I think I've lived this long without one. I can die without one.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:24 pm

I don't know what I'd use one of these gadgets for, and I'm at the point where I think I've lived this long without one. I can die without one.

I'm with you on that. I just can't imagine what it does that I'd want it to do. I don't get along well with voice activated things. Siri and I haven't spoken in months, and we are both happier for it.

I do have a Nest thermostat with which I am absolutely thrilled. It has more than paid for itself, and is one of my favorite things.

Thanks pal.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:47 pm

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:47 pm
Damn...I clicked on this without thinking. My Alexa is right behind my laptop. :rotflmao:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yKrsq8LKqk
Damn...I clicked on this without thinking. My Alexa is right behind my laptop. :rotflmao:
How to stop the beast :?: :bored:

:lol:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yKrsq8LKqk
How to stop the beast :?: :bored:

:lol:
You can interrupt her. I did and it worked.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 03, 2018 7:44 am

t1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:19 am

:rotflmao:

tek

Post by tek » Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am

"Researchers can now send secret audio instructions undetectable to the human ear to Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Assistant."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/tech ... tacks.html

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 am

tek wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am
"Researchers can now send secret audio instructions undetectable to the human ear to Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Assistant."

Cocaine noodles!

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat May 12, 2018 10:49 am

From the NYTimes article:
Still, Jamie Court, the president of Consumer Watchdog, a nonprofit advocacy group in Santa Monica, Calif., which published a study of some of the patent applications in December, said, “When you read parts of the applications, it’s really clear that this is spyware and a surveillance system meant to serve you up to advertisers.”

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Sat May 12, 2018 7:29 pm

tek wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am

Cool! Can they tell my Alexa to do something useful?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:01 am

Amazon responds to story that couple's private conversation was sent to random contact
By ENJOLI FRANCIS
May 25, 2018, 4:41 PM ET

Amazon said that it was "evaluating options" after recent and shocking news that its Echo device had not only recorded a couple's conversation inside their home, but also had sent it to a random contact.

A Portland, Oregon couple got a phone call from a family friend in Seattle a few weeks ago, saying that he'd been sent audio recordings of them talking inside of their home, according to CBS affiliate KIRO-TV.

"At first, my husband was like, 'No, you didn't,' and he's like, 'You sat there talking about hardwood floors,'" a woman who identified herself to the affiliate as Danielle said. "I felt invaded, like total privacy invasion."

Danielle said she unplugged all of her Amazon devices and reached out to the company, which said it would investigate.

In a statement addressing the incident, Amazon said that the Echo "woke up" because of a word used in the background conversation that sounded like "Alexa," the name of Amazon's voice control system.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/amazon- ... d=55423141

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:01 am
Amazon responds to story that couple's private conversation was sent to random contact
This was in the paper right after it occurred, and then covered by NPR yesterday. According to Amazon, the couple somehow accidentally commanded their Alexa to record their conversation, and email it to a third party (who was an employee at his work which is how the other person knew whom to contact).

They did three things: commanded Alexa to start recording, commanded Alexa to stop recording, and finally commanded Alexa to attach the file in a message to someone in their contact list.

For now I'll give Amazon kudos for telling the truth. I think they pulled the logs on the series of actions, and told us the sequence of events. But, I'm betting they don't know The Why yet. TBD

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat May 26, 2018 11:58 am

I have two of those devices. The one that sits on my dining room table will often just out of the blue tell me "I didn't understand that question" or " I can't find that information" or some such thing. I have a TV that is fairly close to that device. It's on an adjacent wall. Sometimes my device believes it heard the word Alexa, then it tries to do whatever comes next. I used to HATE those Alexa commercials, because that would set off my Alexa. Hearing the word Alexa coming from the TV or computer is enough to wake up the device. Amazon has apparently figured out that they need to update the programming before they put out a new commercial, because it hasn't happened with the more recent commercials.

As a programmer I can simply say that when you make something this easy to use, it's bound to have some "kinks". All that device has to do is believe it hears the word "Alexa". That is stunningly easy to reproduce. I can't tell you how many times I've watched TV and the next thing I know my Alexa is trying to determine what it is that I want. It's happening less and less, probably because people are reporting these things. It's important to report bugs so they can be fixed.

The Alexa always confirms commands - and the bright blue light comes on. I guess since I live alone (with my kitteh) it's easier for me to see and be aware that the device is responding to something. Maybe this couple was so engrossed in their conversation they never heard the device confirming and never saw the blue light come on. Maybe they need to turn up the volume.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Sorry to jump in and interrupt, but...Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:11 am

In fairness to Alexa, the voice "recognition" system in our Camry can't understand the words "Call Home" or even the word "No". It will ask me to "say yes or no" and when I clearly say NO it says it can't understand that and asks me to respond yes or no. I gave up on it long ago.

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun May 27, 2018 7:37 am

I have much the same problem with some phone systems.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun May 27, 2018 11:30 am

Foggy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:11 am
In fairness to Alexa, the voice "recognition" system in our Camry can't understand the words "Call Home" or even the word "No". It will ask me to "say yes or no" and when I clearly say NO it says it can't understand that and asks me to respond yes or no. I gave up on it long ago.
:-D That's coz you're such a nice guy Foggy and it can't believe that you would ever say "no" to anyone or anything. :-D

Other theories are available.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm

I think Alexa is one of the scariest fucking things I have ever heard of, and I will never allow anything like that into my home. The fact that people are SHOCKED it could be recording what they are saying and transmitting it to an external source is hilarious though. "I DEMAND MY PRIVACY!!! And now I will pay top dollar for Amazon to bug my home!"

Its why i cover my Webcam. The only thing that stops it recording me is internal software. Fuck that

Still, shit like this is hilarious.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Hektor

Post by Hektor » Sun May 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Hey guys... sorry for the whole end of the world thing and all that. I was just curious as to what would happen if I said "Alexa, release the Terminators." How was I supposed to know what Jeff Bezos was really up to? Anyways, my bad.

Return to “Computers & Internet”